Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't Minecraft chick actually get a job with Majong cause of her youtube channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Leal posted:

Didn't Minecraft chick actually get a job with Majong cause of her youtube channel?
Technically, yes, but MinecraftChick's YouTube channel has been running under that name since mid-2005 so it was less a "job" and more of a settlement so she'd agree not to sue.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Well wasn't her job some made up title like "Director of fun" or something stupid?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

She got hired as a PR person, yes, but she doesn't really do anything so lol

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Didn't they basically put her in charge of the first Minecon and it went badly because she was in way over her head?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Why would anyone give that thing a job when it can't even figure out how to press some buttons on a keyboard?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Flea Wars posted:

Technically, yes, but MinecraftChick's YouTube channel has been running under that name since mid-2005 so it was less a "job" and more of a settlement so she'd agree not to sue.

Her channel says she joined Youtube on Nov 15, 2010.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
She named herself Minecraft Chick in hopes that one day someone would invent a game called Minecraft and she could play it. Now that's a gamer!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Youtube's only been around since early 2005.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

And Youtube's only been around since early 2005.

Maybe she's a time traveler. :tinfoil:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I forget, did ForeverPandering turn out to be TotalBiscuit?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What? No, his name is Ken Ashcorp and he makes some pretty good music though it gets pretty... weeby...

Edit: TB doesn't even come close to his vocal range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64vnGu4SnyM

watho fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 22, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

watho posted:

What? No, his name is Ken Ashcorp and he makes some pretty good music though it gets pretty... weeby...

Edit: TB doesn't even come close to his vocal range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64vnGu4SnyM

Oh, I thought there were people who thought he was Total Biscuit. Glad to know he's not.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

He made a one-off joke about being TB in one of the iJustine LP videos (look, it's actually on topic!) and he does do a really good (edit: I checked again, it's decent but sounds more Irish than Brittish) impression of him IIRC.

watho fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 22, 2015

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I got 20 seconds into that foreverpandering video before couldn't listen to anymore from him.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Garrand posted:

I got 20 seconds into that foreverpandering video before couldn't listen to anymore from him.
But that was the best part!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

No, he manages to somehow be even weirder instead.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
At the cost of changing the subject. Does anyone remember the first LP they ever saw and have you seen it again. I just recently found the first LP I saw way back in 2008 and haven't brought myself to watch it again. But if there is anything to judge by the creator's page banner, it's probably awful. But even if it is bad at least if he's having fun then it all works out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kVqNU5J9z8

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Roaper posted:

At the cost of changing the subject. Does anyone remember the first LP they ever saw and have you seen it again.
I think it might have been PokeCapn's Sonic 06, at least as far as I remember. It holds up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roaper posted:

At the cost of changing the subject. Does anyone remember the first LP they ever saw and have you seen it again.

I think it was Chuggaconroy's LP of Earthbound. I can't remember if that was even the first thing or not.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Roaper posted:

Freelance Astronauts. Link to the Past. Still as 100% perfect as the day I saw it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
raocow. I even remember finding some random raocow off-site list somebody was hosting before I realized they came from SA.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey there La-Mulanites! I'm Deceased Crab. Huzzah!

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Retsupurae got me into watching LPs; the Daikatana LP by Proteus and Suspicious was the first "real" one I watched. HA HA, THANKS JOHN!

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Unfortunately it was ProtonJon's Kaizo Mario LP that led me into Diabetus's Battletoads LP.

I still think that Battletoads LP is awesome.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I think for me it was a guy named Kikoskia and his 8 minute long snippets of playing poo poo you shouldn't do VLP's of like Albion or Lands of Lore (all while he voice acted every line). I still remember entire updates where he couldn't figure out a puzzle and instead would say "Well hopefully next update we can figure it out".

Like holy poo poo, I actually sat through all of his 183 part LP of Albion.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The first LP I've ever seen... well, I know it wasn't something from SA, but from Youtube - the details escape me, however. I'm fairly certain it was an LP from Youtube user Rainiac666, but I'll be damned if I remember just how I stumbled upon his videos, or which LP it was I watched. I want to say it was Yoshi's Island, though, since that is my favorite game, and it would make sense for me to look at something like that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress if I remember the first video LP I've seen. Probably something like Sonic 2 Special Edition or Jurassic Park Trespasser or something that was big at the time.

Don't really remember the first SSLP I've read either, though I remember following one or two before there even was a LP forum. Maybe the Oregon Trail one?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I think the first one I saw was someone's failed attempt at a Super Mario RPG LP. I still remember that the first video one I ended up seeing was Slowbeef's The Immortal playthrough, mostly because I had never beaten the game as a kid and wanted to see someone pull it off.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Niggurath posted:

I think for me it was a guy named Kikoskia and his 8 minute long snippets of playing poo poo you shouldn't do VLP's of like Albion or Lands of Lore (all while he voice acted every line). I still remember entire updates where he couldn't figure out a puzzle and instead would say "Well hopefully next update we can figure it out".

Like holy poo poo, I actually sat through all of his 183 part LP of Albion.

I used to watch Kikoskia, he sniffles his nose every 20 seconds. It's quite annoying. Other than the sniffling I found his Ultima 7 LP to be funny at the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
First LP I've ever seen I was pointed to by someone at gamefaqs and it was Scorchy's run of KOTOR 2, basically just cementing my already strong conviction that game is great. That way I found out about the archive and fell in love with Static Fiend's FPS LPs, I think it was Quake 4 and Prey?

Funnily enough I never really felt the need to look up youtube stuff.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I can't actually recall what my first watched LP was. I can only recall gameplay videos with bad music playing over them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't even remember what my first one was. :(

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Upsettingly I think it might have been something like Tobuscus. Oh well.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I know it was around 2009
either by watching those Nodamage Megaman runs from that RoahmMythril guy mentioned many pages ago
or by someone pointing out Dark Ids Resident Evil LPs to me on the LParchive

dont know which came first

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Probably thedarkid's Resident Evil 4 LP when it was still going. I've been lurking SA since 2005-06, really, so I just stumbled across LPs when they were this new phenomenon.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'm not entirely sure but probably an episode of Kamek's Revenge by Cauchemar89. Gave me an early resistance for weird accents.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Axeil and Proteus did a VLP of Super Metroid Redesign. It was made when Google video was a good option for video hosting and nobody knew how to record good video anyway and the commentary involved reading Ridley erotic fan-fiction, so no it's not really watchable anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
UltraJMan's let's play of I Wanna Be The Guy was, at the time, the height of comedy for me. I don't get super mad at video games while I'm playing so it was refreshing to see someone feel free to yell angrily at them for being total bullshit which, to be fair to UltraJMan, IWBTG is. He took the whole LP down a long time ago but it is rehosted on his own channel for some reason I am unsure of.

I now realize that it wasn't all that funny but at the time it was my gateway into the world of lettuce play and from there I hopped to Kaizo Mario and then to SA let's plays (because there was a kaizo mario world LP going on around here at the time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S8Y5vRreGU

Then this happened to UltraJMan and it was kinda funny but after I Wanna Be The Guy I pretty much stopped watching him and I am retroactively kinda glad I did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My very first one that I only sort of checked out was a Super Mario Bros 3 races or something. As for the first LP I actually read and paid attention to, The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing was one of them, along with those SimCity 2k/3k SSLP's. You know, with FunkyTown, and... that ending :stare:

Edit: I'd say the first vlp I watched all the way through was Chip and Ironicus' MGS3 one. That was truly great.

• Locked thread