Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Every Superman needs a Doomsday.

Broly is a good character, like Doomsday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Incidentally, if any of you speak a language in which the word "man" can be pluralized using standard rules, how would you convey the childish glee implied by our favorite neologism, "punchmans," if you wanted to translate it?

Hm, hard, "punchmans anime" -> "anime de peleas" (fights anime) / "anime de tíos pegándose" (dudes punching-each-other anime) are the closest I can think up.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It would make for a really boring extended arc though. Also there's a pretty consistent theme through the series that all that hyper bulky poo poo is counter-productive and wasteful; Frieza's 100% form, Perfect Cell's power weighted form and the Super Saiyan 3 transformation are all tremendous failures used in desperation. Broly is basically Dragonball tryhard powerups being vindicated

Broly would have been better served as an example of what happens someone lets the rage that powers early SSJ transformation completely consume them instead of the oh god he's the acutal Legendary Super Saiyan. Vegeta's horror in the first movie shouldn't have been about how strong Broly is but, instead he saw that he could've easily become Broly if he hadn't grown an attachment to Bulma & Trunks and eventually everyone else.

In my theoreftical reboot (fanfic) Broly should've been destroyed by self detination in an attempt to blow up a rediculously large area, like an entire solar system cause why not, he's in a wierd area of somewhere between Android 17 and Perfect Cell, or give Krillen the true moment to shine and actually kill someone with Destructo Disk. Asssuming you just don't abandon the idea Broly all together.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bacontotem posted:

Broly would have been better served as an example of what happens someone lets the rage that powers early SSJ transformation completely consume them instead of the oh god he's the acutal Legendary Super Saiyan. Vegeta's horror in the first movie shouldn't have been about how strong Broly is but, instead he saw that he could've easily become Broly if he hadn't grown an attachment to Bulma & Trunks and eventually everyone else.

In my theoreftical reboot (fanfic) Broly should've been destroyed by self detination in an attempt to blow up a rediculously large area, like an entire solar system cause why not, he's in a wierd area of somewhere between Android 17 and Perfect Cell, or give Krillen the true moment to shine and actually kill someone with Destructo Disk. Asssuming you just don't abandon the idea Broly all together.

That could have at least been interesting and made Broly a comment on the end result of POWERING UP SCREAMING TIME, as he turned out though he's basically Coldsteel the Saiyan. He even gets a scene where [main character] collapses in horror at how insanely badass the author's Original Character is, it's rubbish.

Also sorry Krillin is not going to kill anyone with Destructo Disc ever. It's never, ever going to happen.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Toriyama likes vehicles.

:3:

My ideal Dragonball Super story would have Goku as a main character but in the role of a teacher - that way it seems natural that he doesn't have any major character development (cause if he did everyone would pitch a fit.) His pupils (Goten and Trunks? Pan and Uub?) go on to grow significantly as people and have wacky adventures, but Goku can go with them and throw down when poo poo gets real like Kakashi in the first part of Naruto. (OK, I never read past the chunin exams so I have no idea if Kakashi continues to do that or not.)

Oh yeah and when I was rewatching the scene where Goku promises the Old Kai naked pictures of Bulma, I realized that it shows us some interesting character development on the part of Goku.

Goku goes from this:

Goku brings Roshi a "hot girl" based on the provided criteria "has big boobs."

"OK, which is more beautiful?"

"This is tough."

to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYpOEcjclyg

(I'm sorry I don't have scans in English, I don't know where to find them conveniently and I don't really care since I have my favorite Dragonball chapters sitting on my bookshelf.)

Over the course of the series, Goku goes from not understanding sexual dimorphism to being able to evaluate the complex metric of "sexiness" and use his knowledge to manipulate another person. I used to think that Goku was basically asexual since he's never shown any sort of chemistry with Chi-Chi (this appears to be the approach Team Fourstar is taking also), but I now think that Goku is a fully functioning adult human and we just don't see any of that on screen.

In other words, Uub should convince Goku to teach him the Kaio-ken by giving him a girly mag. ~It's like poetry, it rhymes~

Petiso posted:

Hm, hard, "punchmans anime" -> "anime de peleas" (fights anime) / "anime de tíos pegándose" (dudes punching-each-other anime) are the closest I can think up.

Those sound too good. :v: Has to be something a young kid would say by mistake. That's the "joke" of punchmans, it alludes to a common mistake where a kid between 4 and 7 uses "mans" for "man." Another example of such an error would be "did you goed to the store?" for "did you go to the store?" or putting -ed on irregular past tense verbs "I letted him go" for "I let him go." We've been using "punchmans" and its variations as a jokey way to show we know this show is for kids and that it's a little silly to take it too seriously.

"anime de tíos pegándose" is close-ish...I thought perhaps "anime golpehombres" could work, but doesn't quite capture the magic of a child not giving a crap about the correct application of semantic features. Anime pegatíos? ¡Vamos a mi casa para mirar un anime pegatíos! I don't know if I'm feeling it.

Guess the issue is most languages don't have a non-standard plural form. English is one hosed up creole, I tell you what.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Broly would have been fine as a villain if he actually had a motivation related to Goku's character. Like I said before, everyone cries as a baby. Broly should hate Goku for something more specific to Goku.

My own idea was that maybe Goku should have maybe met Broly when they were both children, and accidentally beat him up or something thinking he was a strong fighter. Then Broly comes back and wants to kill Goku because he's actually scared of him or something, I don't know. It would fit with the whole Android and Cell saga, since both are fundamentally about the innocent childhood pasts of Goku, Krillin, and co. coming back to haunt the cast in twisted forms.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Rewatching the latest episode of DBZA, do the sound effects they use come from the Japanese version of the show? I'm not talking about the soundtrack, I'm talking about the sound effects, such as when Piccolo launches his Light Grenade at Cell. I don't recall anything that crisp coming out of the English dub, but I don't know if it's an original sound TFS came up with or if it's from the Japanese verison.

Also what the hell does Cell say after Android 16 states he's an android? I can never catch it after three viewings.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Over the course of the series, Goku goes from not understanding sexual dimorphism to being able to evaluate the complex metric of "sexiness" and use his knowledge to manipulate another person. I used to think that Goku was basically asexual since he's never shown any sort of chemistry with Chi-Chi (this appears to be the approach Team Fourstar is taking also), but I now think that Goku is a fully functioning adult human and we just don't see any of that on screen.

In other words, Uub should convince Goku to teach him the Kaio-ken by giving him a girly mag. ~It's like poetry, it rhymes~
seriously.

Hes as adult or oblivious as the joke needs to make it funny.

KoB fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 22, 2015

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
IIRC, it's "Oh. Mistakes have been made." or something like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New Leaf posted:

Every Superman needs a Doomsday.

Doomsday is a perfect example of why these kinds of villains that are big, muscular, and punch things without anything else interesting to them are a terrible idea. The most interesting things Doomsday has ever done are getting a forced lobotomy and serving as a distraction for Superman so that other heroes had to deal with the real problem at hand

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Factory Factory posted:

IIRC, it's "Oh. Mistakes have been made." or something like that.

Yeah, it's like "Errs have been made."

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

Broly would have been fine as a villain if he actually had a motivation related to Goku's character. Like I said before, everyone cries as a baby. Broly should hate Goku for something more specific to Goku.

My own idea was that maybe Goku should have maybe met Broly when they were both children, and accidentally beat him up or something thinking he was a strong fighter. Then Broly comes back and wants to kill Goku because he's actually scared of him or something, I don't know. It would fit with the whole Android and Cell saga, since both are fundamentally about the innocent childhood pasts of Goku, Krillin, and co. coming back to haunt the cast in twisted forms.

They could had tied it in with the "Goku was bad until he he hit his head as a child" and Goku was a bully to Brolly until Goku got sent away to Earth, and when Brolly wanted revenge, the Goku he knew became a good person. Of course that means Goku would had to be on Planet Vegeta longer then a day.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

You're allowed to say fanfic, you know. We know what you mean.

It's not a fanfic if it does't exist, my dignity is still intact :v:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Rirse posted:

They could had tied it in with the "Goku was bad until he he hit his head as a child" and Goku was a bully to Brolly until Goku got sent away to Earth, and when Brolly wanted revenge, the Goku he knew became a good person. Of course that means Goku would had to be on Planet Vegeta longer then a day.

It would also mean that goku didnt have a power level of 1 (or 2) when he was born and broly over 1000 or that broly couldnt actually harness this energy at a day old like he did when he was about to be blown up along with planet vegeta after he was stabbed in what looked like the heart or

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Those sound too good. :v: Has to be something a young kid would say by mistake. That's the "joke" of punchmans, it alludes to a common mistake where a kid between 4 and 7 uses "mans" for "man." Another example of such an error would be "did you goed to the store?" for "did you go to the store?" or putting -ed on irregular past tense verbs "I letted him go" for "I let him go." We've been using "punchmans" and its variations as a jokey way to show we know this show is for kids and that it's a little silly to take it too seriously.

"anime de tíos pegándose" is close-ish...I thought perhaps "anime golpehombres" could work, but doesn't quite capture the magic of a child not giving a crap about the correct application of semantic features. Anime pegatíos? ¡Vamos a mi casa para mirar un anime pegatíos! I don't know if I'm feeling it.

Guess the issue is most languages don't have a non-standard plural form. English is one hosed up creole, I tell you what.

Yeah, the advantage of english is that is so simple and words have so few variations you can construct nice-sounding terms very easily compared to other languages. I can't think up of anything that sounds exactly like that, but I know any kid would say "dibujitos de peleas" (kids don't say "anime", "dibujitos" as in "little drawings" is what children call cartoons here) in the same context. Don't use "golpehombres" or "pegatíos", those sound awkward.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

Yeah, the advantage of english is that is so simple and words have so few variations you can construct nice-sounding terms very easily compared to other languages. I can't think up of anything that sounds exactly like that, but I know any kid would say "dibujitos de peleas" (kids don't say "anime", "dibujitos" as in "little drawings" is what children call cartoons here) in the same context. Don't use "golpehombres" or "pegatíos", those sound awkward.

I need to get the kid who inspired the title of Pocoyo to tell me all his secrets. Pocoyo is the best show to watch while blazed. Happy page 420 everyone! Back when I was in Spain my friends and I did coin some weird neologisms, but maybe we were just awkward people. (We invented jazztelear, which means to behave like a telecom that dicks people over. Like "hey, what's this double debit in my bank account? gently caress I got jazztelled again." :v: )

After measured consideration, I have reached the conclusion that you can't do punchmans in Spanish. I bet you could do it in Japanese though, they seem to have verbal quirks for every life stage. nyo~ron.

I really hate that Broly's beef with Goku is tied to him holding a grudge from infancy because it makes him a giant baby mentally, like he's your token differently-abled saiyan. We joke about Goku being retarded, but Broly is like, actually retarded. I don't really wanna see Goku beating up an actual disabled person.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 22, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xibanya posted:

I need to get the kid who inspired the title of Pocoyo to tell me all his secrets. Pocoyo is the best show to watch while blazed. Happy page 420 everyone! Back when I was in Spain my friends and I did coin some weird neologisms, but maybe we were just awkward people. (We invented jazztelear, which means to behave like a telecom that dicks people over. Like "hey, what's this double debit in my bank account? gently caress I got jazztelled again." :v: )

After measured consideration, I have reached the conclusion that you can't do punchmans in Spanish. I bet you could do it in Japanese though, they seem to have verbal quirks for every life stage. nyo~ron.

I really hate that Broly's beef with Goku is tied to him holding a grudge from infancy because it makes him a giant baby mentally, like he's your token differently-abled saiyan. We joke about Goku being retarded, but Broly is like, actually retarded. I don't really wanna see Goku beating up an actual disabled person.

Having seen the Broly movie, I wouldn't say that Goku beat up Broly. I'd say the opposite happened.

Edit: If want to talk about beating up people with the mentality of a child, shouldn't we be talking about Majin Buu?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 22, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally if we're talking about random silly fanfic ideas I'd just borrow what Super Sonic Warriors 2 did and have Broly bonk his head and become Hercule's friend and apprentice, cause the idea of him just hanging around with Mister Buu and generally getting involved in the Z-Fighters' shenanigans would be great

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Covok posted:

Edit: If want to talk about beating up people with the mentality of a child, shouldn't we be talking about Majin Buu?

Fat Buu works as a character, I think, precisely because they don't kill him. The characters eventually realize that yeah, he basically is just a child and it's more Babidi's fault for exploiting him. Between Goku actually appealing somewhat to his sense of reason, and Hercule's legitimate attempt to befriend him (One of the two or three awesome things Hercule gets to ever do), Buu actually becomes a part of the team more or less.

This makes the Vegito timeline in DBM a BAD END precisely because he kills Fat Buu along with Kid Buu.

Rirse posted:

While that would be better, it would still kind of bother me since it's not a flaw of our "version" of Goku as a character. He might as well be mad at some other dude named Kakarot.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 22, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Covok posted:

If want to talk about beating up people with the mentality of a child, shouldn't we be talking about Majin Buu?

Buu doesn't actually resemble a fully-grown man, so you have that uncomfortable aspect out of the way. (I hate to be an rear end in a top hat about it, but I do feel a little uncomfortable if I'm ever in line next to a family with an obviously mentally disabled adult child.) And as Raxivace says, they never end up seriously harming Majin Buu and he later ends up redeeming himself and living happily ever after as a member of the extended cast.

As for the other forms of Buu, they don't come off as pathetic retards to me as much as supernatural forces of nature, like the rear end in a top hat gods of the Greek pantheon. Out of all Dragonball characters, Kid Buu is the most free. He's utterly free in the way a sociopath is free. He's more animal-like than childlike. I see it as similar to that news item last year about how a Sanrio representative was quoted as saying Hello Kitty is not a cat but rather a little girl. It was a mistranslation of what the representative actually meant, which was that Hello Kitty is a character who evokes the symbol of a cat and all the associations we have with cats, but is functionally a little girl. Hello Kitty is a cat, but she isn't literally a loving cat. Apparently in Japanese there's a word for the concept of symbolizing the associations people have with something without actually being that thing. So just as Hello Kitty isn't a cat but a little girl, I'd say Kid Buu isn't an actual child but a mass of hate given physical form. He's like some kind of malevolent djinn thing. He's wearing that arabesque pants and vest getup after all.

That reminds me of the part of Dragonball that I find the most unsettling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jUeIn_-EI

:stare:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xibanya posted:

That poo poo is hilarious, stop moralizing so loving much and just learn to laugh at dumb poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Xibanya posted:

So just as Hello Kitty isn't a cat but a little girl, I'd say Kid Buu isn't an actual child but a mass of hate given physical form. He's like some kind of malevolent djinn thing. He's wearing that arabesque pants and vest getup after all.

I like Kid Buu because he's just essentially Evil Babby Goku- wild and crazy, willing to destroy anything without even a thought. Kind of fitting for the end of DBZ, especially after so many villains that liked to talk a lot and monologue to a degree.

Xibanya posted:

(I hate to be an rear end in a top hat about it, but I do feel a little uncomfortable if I'm ever in line next to a family with an obviously mentally disabled adult child.)

As someone who has had such a person in their immediate family for a very long time, this makes me a little sad to read. Why would you feel uncomfortable? They're just people like you and I.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xibanya posted:

Buu doesn't actually resemble a fully-grown man, so you have that uncomfortable aspect out of the way. (I hate to be an rear end in a top hat about it, but I do feel a little uncomfortable if I'm ever in line next to a family with an obviously mentally disabled adult child.) And as Raxivace says, they never end up seriously harming Majin Buu and he later ends up redeeming himself and living happily ever after as a member of the extended cast.

As for the other forms of Buu, they don't come off as pathetic retards to me as much as supernatural forces of nature, like the rear end in a top hat gods of the Greek pantheon. Out of all Dragonball characters, Kid Buu is the most free. He's utterly free in the way a sociopath is free. He's more animal-like than childlike. I see it as similar to that news item last year about how a Sanrio representative was quoted as saying Hello Kitty is not a cat but rather a little girl. It was a mistranslation of what the representative actually meant, which was that Hello Kitty is a character who evokes the symbol of a cat and all the associations we have with cats, but is functionally a little girl. Hello Kitty is a cat, but she isn't literally a loving cat. Apparently in Japanese there's a word for the concept of symbolizing the associations people have with something without actually being that thing. So just as Hello Kitty isn't a cat but a little girl, I'd say Kid Buu isn't an actual child but a mass of hate given physical form. He's like some kind of malevolent djinn thing. He's wearing that arabesque pants and vest getup after all.

Well considering how the Majin race in Online and Xenoverse comes into existence it's not that surprising that Mister Buu can have those desires, especially since if he were human he'd probably qualify as a high functioning example of whatever disorder he'd be diagnosed with(not to mention being mentally handicapped doesn't automatically mean you don't have any romantic or sexual desires)

And yes I realize how nerdy saying all that is

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

One of the YouTube comments on that clip posted:

I'd like to see a dbz movie where Bulma gets Alzheimer's disease, and slowly over the course of the movie Bulma loses her memory of Vegeta, her coordination, and grip on her sanity; and then as a mercy, Vegeta full-power Final Flashes Bulma in the face to show that Bulma was only deserving of Vegeta's best, but not before he hits it before he quits it one more time. And then for the rest of he film, depression finally takes him and he winds up trying to kill himself only to find that he can't hang himself because his neck muscles are too strong, he can't shoot himself because Earth guns are too weak, decides to drink himself to death, and finally in his drunken depression, gets the idea to fly into the sun after jammin out to a lovely Yellow Card song. While Vegeta's getting ever-closer to the sun, he remembers Trunks, and comes to his senses and decides he wants to live, but is too late because he's too close to the sun. Too drunk and weary, he can't find the strength to escape the Sun's gravity and falls towards the sun's surface. Vegeta being stronger than any human takes much longer to die. And so he feels the water of his skin boil for 8 minutes and 17 seconds of the most intense pain ever imaginable until he finally goes into shock and dies. Cut to Goku who is naked and training with all the magic dragons stops for a moment in confusion and then resumes training. Make that movie Toriyama!
what the gently caress :stonk:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are too many stupid paragraphs for the 420 page.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

There are too many stupid paragraphs for the 420 page.

Can mods edit posts? Just make every post on this page end with this:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Raxivace posted:

As someone who has had such a person in their immediate family for a very long time, this makes me a little sad to read. Why would you feel uncomfortable? They're just people like you and I.

I have no idea. I understand it's not very kind, and I make sure to never make my internal bias noticeable to the outside observer. It's definitely a prejudice that I should work on. I guess part of it is that if someone is bigger than me but doesn't seem fully in control of themselves, it makes me a little anxious. But it's probably mostly that I haven't interacted with mentally handicapped adults and like many people I fear the unknown.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Could goku smoke an entire victreebel

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ruggington posted:

Could goku smoke an entire victreebel

Probably but I don't think it'd get you high, it doesn't even look like weed silly

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It's acidic so he'd get something out of it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xibanya posted:

Can we try to avoid saying "pathetic retards?" Especially in reference to people with actual mental illness? I know you're not a native English speaker, but the term is considered very rude, at least in the United States. The polite term is mentally challenged.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Pff look at you scrubs. Everyone knows you lick victreebels.

E: Covok, I am in fact a native English speaker and you are right, I was out of line there.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 23, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AmiYumi posted:

what the gently caress :stonk:

Don't read Youtube comments.

That said, holy poo poo, that's amazingly bad even by Youtube comment standards.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that Buu scene was highly unsettling as a kid and I think it was meant to be that.

buu was creepy in ways that were rather unique to him, at least when he was fat.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Xibanya posted:

However, it gave us the line "How Buu supposed to live up to body image in magazines?", which I honestly think is one of the funnier things to come out of the Buu saga.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo5l-1r8OMo

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

this is the best post ive ever seen on these forums

• Locked thread