Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Xavier434 posted:

The amount of money that SE makes off of XV and KHIII will be a large deciding factor. If you want SE to continue making these big budget games then buy these titles and tell your friends to buy them too.

they have to release them first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Those are probably the biggest argument against SE staying in the console market considering how long those two spent shoved in the closet.

Honestly, console JRPGs have long passed their hayday and I'm perfectly okay with that. Just let them stick to being niche instead of trying to compete with the west and blowing money all over the place for a lukewarm response at best.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I feel like if Squeenix remade FF7 into HD (without overly changing the game plotwise and gameplaywise) they would make an absurd amount of money but it will never happen.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

How Rude posted:

I feel like if Squeenix remade FF7 into HD (without overly changing the game plotwise and gameplaywise) they would make an absurd amount of money but it will never happen.

It would also cost an absurd amount of money since they can't reuse the original assets and outsource it like they have done with all the other remakes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trying to recreate FF7 in HD without changing the game plotwise or gameplaywise is impossible. Even if they did it would be a bizarre cocaine dream of a game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There is no way Square would win trying to remake FFVII. One way or the other, they'd piss off one section of the fanbase. And it'd cost way more than they'd likely see in sales.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A remake for 3DS would be more feasible but they would still have to redo everything from scratch, even if it wouldn't quite cost as much as a full console version.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Trying to recreate FF7 in HD without changing the game plotwise or gameplaywise is impossible. Even if they did it would be a bizarre cocaine dream of a game.
This sounds fantastic

not financially sound, but something I would buy.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Well, if SE could, ya know, ever shore up their dev practices, they could publish a game that is close-enough-but-not-quite-FF-caliber for a shitload less time and money. But they can't.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

In a (my) perfect world, SE would put a small amount of money into making more experimental side games and new Final Fantasies on a scale somewhere between IV and VII. They could probably knock together a solid development framework for 2D and/or 3D RPGs that a small team could crank out annual games on. Then they would have a constant stream of IPs to build their mobile moneymakers off of. They can't keep funding huge spectacle RPGs like XIII and XV unless they're willing to cover the losses with mobile money.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I just want more SNES-style FF spin-offs that aren't developed by Matrix. Mobile's fine if they tweak the controls a bit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's no way they'll ever completely remake FF7, but I would be happy with an official cleaned-up translation, like War of the Lions.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should remake VIII instead because I like it more and the backlash would be funny

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fister Roboto posted:

There's no way they'll ever completely remake FF7, but I would be happy with an official cleaned-up translation, like War of the Lions.

Maybe that's why the PS4 port is taking so long.

:laffo:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know what? If they released a version of FF7, just the original game, but with a good translation for the PS3 or PS4 or so then GG. That would be the definitive version.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honestly it would be worth it for the inevitable Aeris/Aerith shitstorm.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Gologle posted:

You know what? If they released a version of FF7, just the original game, but with a good translation for the PS3 or PS4 or so then GG. That would be the definitive version.

Also a remastered soundtrack, just get it up to FF8 or 9 quality and I'd be happy.

Of course they'd gently caress it up like the X remastering and change too much but oh well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zombie Samurai posted:

In a (my) perfect world, SE would put a small amount of money into making more experimental side games and new Final Fantasies on a scale somewhere between IV and VII. They could probably knock together a solid development framework for 2D and/or 3D RPGs that a small team could crank out annual games on. Then they would have a constant stream of IPs to build their mobile moneymakers off of. They can't keep funding huge spectacle RPGs like XIII and XV unless they're willing to cover the losses with mobile money.

This is not only a legitimately good idea but also something several small companies have had a lot of success with.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ff6 after-years SPRITES ONLY NO poo poo CHIBI-3D

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

How Rude posted:

You're right, making an absurd amount of money off of a FF7 HD remake would never happen.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're right, making an absurd amount of money off of a FF7 HD remake would never happen.

Honestly even if it was perfect, I doubt it would make crazy money. Good money sure, but I think the ship sailed on crazy money when JRPG's took a massive downturn in popularity amongst younger demos over the last few years.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 23, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

They get stuck in weird recursive rerelease loops when they actually DO release something cool like Final Fantasy Dimensions that is along these lines (even if Matrix is doing it) but then get stuck on that, porting it and re-releasing it while weirdly not actually improving it much if at all, rather than, well yeah, making a good cross-platform 2D game engine that is way more stable and portable and easy for them to update all of their 2D games with so that as they figure out better ways to play SNES-style dpad games while smudging a touchscreen it's easy to backport.

Spirits Within ruined the company I loving swear. They basically just chase the dragon of more and more impressive CG that they shoehorn into poorly thought out and completely halfassed mechanics that aren't very good. They really need to bring in more people who are good at designing games and game mechanics, and don't come from the school of Because Tanaka Said gently caress You That's Why. It permeates everything they do, and while XIII is an easy and obvious example, my favorite one is the first Theaterythm. They Soniced the gently caress out on the mechanics, and much like how most Sonic games are godawful garbage only redeemable because some people REALLY like Sonic, Theaterythm is only playable for assholes like me who REALLY just want an excuse to tap along with Final Fantasy music. It's grindy and punishing, with ridiculous and pointless hellgrinds, and none of the mechanics are well explained or make any goddamned sense as they basically designed an ATB game where you don't control the ATB or really anything that makes most of the mechanics relevant and also a bunch of systems from Dissidia for some reason. Curtain Call at least fixed most of the godawful problems and made the hellgrinds have purpose and meaning, but I still feel like it'd have been a better game if they scrapped all mechanics from the first one and got a team who can actually design a drat game to start from scratch.

It's telling that the only real counterexample of note recently is Final Fantasy XIV, but they had to start with the most spectacular failure of game design and mechanics to get there. There's a reason XIV and a bunch of mobile games that are based on their old poo poo where they had to have some compelling mechanics are what's driving their profits.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

They get stuck in weird recursive rerelease loops when they actually DO release something cool like Final Fantasy Dimensions that is along these lines (even if Matrix is doing it) but then get stuck on that, porting it and re-releasing it while weirdly not actually improving it much if at all, rather than, well yeah, making a good cross-platform 2D game engine that is way more stable and portable and easy for them to update all of their 2D games with so that as they figure out better ways to play SNES-style dpad games while smudging a touchscreen it's easy to backport.

Spirits Within ruined the company I loving swear. They basically just chase the dragon of more and more impressive CG that they shoehorn into poorly thought out and completely halfassed mechanics that aren't very good. They really need to bring in more people who are good at designing games and game mechanics, and don't come from the school of Because Tanaka Said gently caress You That's Why. It permeates everything they do, and while XIII is an easy and obvious example, my favorite one is the first Theaterythm. They Soniced the gently caress out on the mechanics, and much like how most Sonic games are godawful garbage only redeemable because some people REALLY like Sonic, Theaterythm is only playable for assholes like me who REALLY just want an excuse to tap along with Final Fantasy music. It's grindy and punishing, with ridiculous and pointless hellgrinds, and none of the mechanics are well explained or make any goddamned sense as they basically designed an ATB game where you don't control the ATB or really anything that makes most of the mechanics relevant and also a bunch of systems from Dissidia for some reason. Curtain Call at least fixed most of the godawful problems and made the hellgrinds have purpose and meaning, but I still feel like it'd have been a better game if they scrapped all mechanics from the first one and got a team who can actually design a drat game to start from scratch.

It's telling that the only real counterexample of note recently is Final Fantasy XIV, but they had to start with the most spectacular failure of game design and mechanics to get there. There's a reason XIV and a bunch of mobile games that are based on their old poo poo where they had to have some compelling mechanics are what's driving their profits.

The Lightning trilogy and the Theatrhythm games are good.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The Lightning trilogy and the Theatrhythm games are good.

They outright said that the battle and general game mechanics were tacked on after they made a bunch of CG cutscenes for XIII. I can't play any of the XIII games and I am a lifetime Final Fantasy fan because they are not fun at all. You may have enjoyed it anyway, and no judgement, I willingly played XIV 1.0. But they are objectively not very good and poorly designed game mechanics.

As for Theatrythm the first, just ask yourself one simple, honest question: if the music and characters were unfamiliar or a new IP would you have enjoyed it at all?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Actually the xiii trilogy have good mechanics, and XV has cindy, who is sexy and I would consider her a good mechanic as well

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

As for Theatrythm the first, just ask yourself one simple, honest question: if the music and characters were unfamiliar or a new IP would you have enjoyed it at all?

Yes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's cool to have familiar music but if it were unfamiliar music I'd still be down with it, assuming it was good music.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I assume that XIII-2 and -3 are more tolerable mechanics-wise. I only played the demo of XIII-2 and still hated it. But really, please look deep within yourselves and past your Stockholm syndrome. I know it's not easy to admit, it hasn't been for me, but SE is garbage at game mechanics, FF games have always had sub-par system and mechanic designs, and XIII sequel mechanics were turd polishing just like Curtain Call and in all cases they would have been better games if they went back to the drawing board with the help of a small team that actually knows how to design a solid, fun game.

I don't believe you as there are a million other rhythm games out there with better mechanics that you probably don't play, such as the Tap Tap games for mobile devices that came out years before TR, or a million other mobile rhythm games that aren't very good but still better than Theatrythm from a purely mechanical and gameplay standpoint. gently caress, Smule Piano actually teaches you skills that translate to actually play a drat piano and I've only played it a handful of times. The only compelling reason to play TR1 is it has Final Fantasy songs and characters.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 23, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

They outright said that the battle and general game mechanics were tacked on after they made a bunch of CG cutscenes for XIII. I can't play any of the XIII games and I am a lifetime Final Fantasy fan because they are not fun at all. You may have enjoyed it anyway, and no judgement, I willingly played XIV 1.0. But they are objectively not very good and poorly designed game mechanics.

That's an insane question about a rhythm game. If it wasn't Theatrhythm it would be uh basically Project Diva F? Right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol XIII probably has the best game mechanics in the series. What is wrong with this guy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

yep. it's still a very good rhythm game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Boten Anna posted:

But really, please look deep within yourselves and past your Stockholm syndrome.

Lol, this is an incredibly lovely way to look at other people's opinions and you are a loving dork.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

I assume that XIII-2 and -3 are more tolerable mechanics-wise. I only played the demo of XIII-2 and still hated it. But really, please look deep within yourselves and past your Stockholm syndrome. I know it's not easy, it hasn't been for me, but SE is garbage at game mechanics, FF games have always had sub-par system and mechanic designs, and XIII sequel mechanics were turd polishing just like Curtain Call and in all cases they would have been better games if they went back to the drawing board with the help of a small team that actually knows how to design a fun game.

You're weird

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

I assume that XIII-2 and -3 are more tolerable mechanics-wise. I only played the demo of XIII-2 and still hated it. But really, please look deep within yourselves and past your Stockholm syndrome. I know it's not easy, it hasn't been for me, but SE is garbage at game mechanics, FF games have always had sub-par system and mechanic designs, and XIII sequel mechanics were turd polishing just like Curtain Call and in all cases they would have been better games if they went back to the drawing board with the help of a small team that actually knows how to design a fun game.

lmao are you a smug little fucker

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

Next time before you post, you should read your post out loud before hitting submit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

drat it we've hired the best psychiatrists money can buy, but he still likes ffxiii. Just what did square do to him?!?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I dunno, I thought 13's mechanics were stupid as well, but I'm not going to go on a screed about how people only like them due to stockholm syndrome or whatever.

People can have different tastes. SE isn't catering to mine, nor does it seem like they will be in any foreseeable future (aside from maybe on mobile) - so be it. :shrug:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

I don't believe you as there are a million other rhythm games out there with better mechanics that you probably don't play, such as the Tap Tap games for mobile devices that came out years before TR, or a million other mobile rhythm games that aren't very good but still better than Theatrythm from a purely mechanical and gameplay standpoint. gently caress, Smule Piano actually teaches you skills that translate to actually play a drat piano and I've only played it a handful of times. The only compelling reason to play TR1 is it has Final Fantasy songs and characters.

I have a lot of fun with Theatrhythm and I am sorry you can't believe me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's certainly no Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan, but those didn't have nearly as many songs so it all balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I thought 13's mechanics were stupid as well, but I'm not going to go on a screed about how people only like them due to stockholm syndrome or whatever.

People can have different tastes. SE isn't catering to mine, nor does it seem like they will be in any foreseeable future (aside from maybe on mobile) - so be it. :shrug:

I'm not talking about liking, I'm talking about whether the mechanics are actually well designed and good by applicable objective measures. People like things that are bad all the time, that's fine. I like a ton of things that are bad, many of which are Square Enix titles.

Again, XIII has flat out bad mechanics whether or not you or anyone personally enjoyed them. I sunk three digits worth of hours into the original Theatrythm, bought a bunch of the DLC, and got the sequel on launch day, but I played TR1 in spite of its mechanics and gameplay, not because of them. In an alternate universe where Tanaka is still running XIV to 10,000 idiot subscribers, I would be one of them, but it would still would have incredibly poor mechanics and gameplay. There is, as they say, no accounting for taste, and I'm not trying to so please stop assuming I am.

edit: To be clear, I enjoyed Theaterythm in spite of the overarching gameplay. The tapping on the screen part is fine, the whole RPG part and unlock system or basically anything that's not actually the rhythm part was a goddamned unfun mess, and maybe it would help if I clarify that most of my complaints lie there. poo poo like having to do everything on boring mode to unlock the actual fun parts of the game, the aforementioned grind to nowhere, and not being able to get a perfect score without unequipping everything and there is no real easy way to do it nor is this really explained very well, as well as a host of other issues ranging from minor to awful.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 23, 2015