Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

And of course

Just like how Ricky Rubio was going to force that trade to the Lakers or the Knicks JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE
Or how that team with eight white players David Kahn built was maybe a zionist conspiracy (credit: Jerry Zgoda)
Or how Demarcus Cousins didn't want to play in Minnesota and had his agent tell the Wolves not to draft him
Or how Kevin Garnett was going to sign with the Bulls in 1998 and Kevin McHale didn't have a chance in hell of resigning him
Or how Shaquille O'Neal totally told the Timberwolves he wouldn't sign with them if they got the #1 pick in 1992
Or how [insert dumb bullshit rumor about a Minnesota basketball team here that is completely untrue but for some reason it gets legs even though everyone involved says it isn't true and it flies in the face of all logic]

So I know this whole debate is dumb, but I have to ask. Why would Okafor's agent being friends with Flip Saunders make it more likely they would pass on him? "Hey old college buddy, do me a solid and don't draft my client because your state sucks rear end and he wants to play for the Lakers instead. Thanks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

While I think a lot of the "Okafor #1" talk is just hot air at this point, the Wolves might see more value in a Scorer for a team that is sorta being built to be more fun than good. They might also already be thinking of Pek as out the door/injury ineffective already too, which would make the Okafor fit but a bit more clean. I just love the idea of a Towns/Wiggins defensive anchor.

Flip keeps dropping a line in interviews about "the best fit for the team" and I have a hard time seeing how that isn't Towns at this point. You've got a team full of guys that love to run the floor so let's take the guy who will slow everything down while we wait for him to catch up instead of the guy who can keep up and probably even start some of the breaks with his defense and get down the floor fast enough to finish it as a trailer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Flip keeps dropping a line in interviews about "the best fit for the team" and I have a hard time seeing how that isn't Towns at this point. You've got a team full of guys that love to run the floor so let's take the guy who will slow everything down while we wait for him to catch up instead of the guy who can keep up and probably even start some of the breaks with his defense and get down the floor fast enough to finish it as a trailer.

I know we're flipping our previous arguments, but that might mean Okafor. I originally thought Towns based on some comments from Flip and others about rim protection, but Towns might be seen as a rich man's Dieng. They both are defensive bigs who can give you a little bit of stretch around 12 feet out. It's possible Dieng and Okafor could co-exist fairly well. This is assuming Flip has a huge opinion of Dieng, which I don't think should be warranted right now.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The T-Wolves team is kind of fluid at this point, it kinda doesn't make sense to draft for what the team is because the team just had the worst record in the league. Its possible only Wiggins remains from the current team if/when they make the playoffs/become a contender.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I know we're flipping our previous arguments, but that might mean Okafor. I originally thought Towns based on some comments from Flip and others about rim protection, but Towns might be seen as a rich man's Dieng. They both are defensive bigs who can give you a little bit of stretch around 12 feet out. It's possible Dieng and Okafor could co-exist fairly well. This is assuming Flip has a huge opinion of Dieng, which I don't think should be warranted right now.

Dieng is maybe a future solid back up center. What he showed this year was that he was not yet a very good player on offense or defense. He's only really shown potential in the last month or so of his rookie year. I don't think that a gm would look at Dieng and say, '.no need for a defensive anchor, we've got our center of the future right here.'

He's already 25, so if he learns to be a solid defender in 2 years, that'll make him 27. He's too old to be the future of the team.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 22, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

wangvicous posted:

The T-Wolves team is kind of fluid at this point, it kinda doesn't make sense to draft for what the team is because the team just had the worst record in the league. Its possible only Wiggins remains from the current team if/when they make the playoffs/become a contender.

Normally I agree with your logic there but without all the injuries (even assuming Pek plays 50 games because he's always hurt) they'd be at least a 30 win team last year, imo, which gives you a bit of wiggle to go with a better fit.

Lockback posted:

I have absolutely nothing to back this up aside from "I think I heard this somewhere" but doesn't Towns have a lot more range than that?

As an aside, another reason I want Towns is because I despise big men who suck at free throws

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How much did you guys watch Towns play this year? He was dominating.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Lockback posted:

Well, I don't think its necessarily foolish. Kinda like Russell and Mudiay, I think it's a 60/40 chance who you look back on and say "drat, he should have been taken before the other guy".

While I think a lot of the "Okafor #1" talk is just hot air at this point, the Wolves might see more value in a Scorer for a team that is sorta being built to be more fun than good. They might also already be thinking of Pek as out the door/injury ineffective already too, which would make the Okafor fit but a bit more clean. I just love the idea of a Towns/Wiggins defensive anchor.

I think that Towns is a better fit with the current roster. He can develop into a very good if not elite rim protector, he's more suited for their uptempo style of play, he's very good at passing out of double teams, he's a better free throw shooter, and has a lot more range as a shooter. That being said, he's less developed physically and offensively, so he should take longer to develop and there is a risk that he may not realize his potential. He also played limited minutes because of Kentucky's depth, so I do have some concerns that his ability to run the court and expend effort on defense may decrease if he's asked to play more minutes, though the Wolves could rotate him with Pekovic and Dieng at center, so he wouldn't need to carry the full workload right away.

With Okafor, he already has an NBA body, he has the potential to be an elite low post player, and while he's not as good as Towns at passing out of double teams, he's still much better than Jefferson in that regard. He doesn't have a jump shot at this point, though both Pekovic and Dieng were able to add that in the NBA, he's a bad free throw shooter, though that could be mitigated if they add rules to discourage the hack a Shaq strategy. He's not the transition player that Towns is, but he was asked to play more minutes, and he hasn't expended much energy on defense to this point, though people seem to think that he could eventually be a good defender, he just doesn't have the same defensive ceiling that Towns does.

Saunders has apparently liked Okafor for a long time, so if he thinks he's the better player, then I'll trust his judgement. Though they would need to eventually find an athletic and defensively minded PF, which they don't seem to have a this point. Does anyone know if Okafor or Towns have any injury concerns, especially foot or other lower body concerns that could limit them longterm?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I always had the impression Towns had more range than he was able to show at Kentucky.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Disillusionist posted:

So I know this whole debate is dumb, but I have to ask. Why would Okafor's agent being friends with Flip Saunders make it more likely they would pass on him? "Hey old college buddy, do me a solid and don't draft my client because your state sucks rear end and he wants to play for the Lakers instead. Thanks."

None of that makes sense. There were also the Chad Ford reports claiming that Towns wanted to go to the Lakers and then the interview where Okafor said he was more concerned about going to the best fit than being the top pick, though as he stated, that interview was before the lottery, so he didn't even know who would have the top pick when made those comments, so that commented ended up being misinterpreted. I'm sure some prospects may prefer the idea of playing for the Lakers, but I don't think that will stop the Wolves from picking who they think is the best player/best fit for their team.

It seems like some fans and media members act like the Lakers have some sort of divine right for prospects, so even if Minnesota or some other team picks before them, then the Lakers should still have their choice of players, because they're the Lakers.

IcePhoenix posted:

Normally I agree with your logic there but without all the injuries (even assuming Pek plays 50 games because he's always hurt) they'd be at least a 30 win team last year, imo, which gives you a bit of wiggle to go with a better fit.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up aside from "I think I heard this somewhere" but doesn't Towns have a lot more range than that?

As an aside, another reason I want Towns is because I despise big men who suck at free throws

Injuries have really killed the Wolves over the past few years. I'm not sure if it's training issues, taking risks on players with medical problems, or just bad luck, but the Wolves have had a couple of playoff caliber teams that were completely derailed by injuries. I do think that if they can stay healthy, then they are a better team than people realize, but that is a huge "if" at this point. I know they've started working with the Mayo Clinic and just completed a new training facility, so hopefully they can get things on track, but the amount of injuries that they've dealt with have been insane.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

IcePhoenix posted:

That sounds like exactly the sort of team that should not be worrying about fit

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

No one who has the number one overall goddamn pick in the loving NBA draft should ever draft for need

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I was Okafor or Towns, I'd look at that Lakers roster and say "No, thanks". Teaming up with Wiggins, Dieng and Fatman Bennett would have more appeal.

Of course, I don't have some agent in my face 24/7 who wants to be in LA or NY.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

If I was Okafor or Towns, I'd look at that Lakers roster and say "No, thanks". Teaming up with Wiggins, Dieng and Fatman Bennett would have more appeal.

Of course, I don't have some agent in my face 24/7 who wants to be in LA or NY.

What if the Lakers sweeten the pot by re-signing Carlos Boozer and you know you can have a dude screaming AND ONE at you

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

R.D. Mangles posted:

What if the Lakers sweeten the pot by re-signing Carlos Boozer and you know you can have a dude screaming AND ONE at you

Well, when you dangle that and Kobe "I'm definitely jacking up 30 shots a game" Bryant and Nick "Nuh-uh, Kobe I AM" Young, I'd have to rethink my position.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Could he also perform these services during lovemaking y/n

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Could he also perform these services during lovemaking y/n

It'd be weird if he didn't

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

No one who has the number one overall goddamn pick in the loving NBA draft should ever draft for need

Exactly. If you're in the top three you go with what you think is the best player available unless you somehow have surplus talent at positions projected at the top of the draft. Drafting for need at the top is what caused Portland to pick Sam Bowie #2 in 1984.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Carlos Boozer becomes the world's first on-demand Sex Hypeman where you call a 900 number and he just screams out HEY JO YOU GET THAT poo poo BOOM and it's not a recording, it's just Boozer sitting around in a windowless room randomly screaming at strangers who claim they are about to have sex.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

If you get the Platinum Package Kevin Garnett will come to your house and scream YO YOU GOTTA STAND UP FOR WHAT'S YOURS and headbutt your drywall right as you orgasm.

What the hell are we talking about again

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

As an added bonus Sam Cassell does the big balls dance after your partner climaxes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PantsFreeZone posted:

Well, when you dangle that and Kobe "I'm definitely giving you 30 offensive rebounds put-back chances a game" Bryant and Nick "Nuh-uh, Kobe I AM" Young, I'd have to rethink my position.

Also, Kobe is probably gonna retire after this year, so its not like they have to worry about him for long, even if he goes full mamba all season

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually that's a good point. Towns would have a shot at double digit rebounds. Still, having to play for Byron Scott is a deal killer. Even if the other option is Flip.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

^ dammit, haha

PantsFreeZone posted:

Well, when you dangle that and Kobe "I'm definitely jacking up 30 shots a game" Bryant and Nick "Nuh-uh, Kobe I AM" Young, I'd have to rethink my position.

Don't forget that Zen Master Byron Scott might still be coaching next season, too. How can you say no to that?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PantsFreeZone posted:

Actually that's a good point. Towns would have a shot at double digit rebounds. Still, having to play for Byron Scott is a deal killer. Even if the other option is Flip.

This is obviously a bunch of smoke until he proves it on the court, but Flip has said in multiple interviews late in the season and in the offseason that he understands that the offense's reliance on jumpers is outdated and he wants to adapt to the more modern concepts, which is a hell of a lot better than what Scott says.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Exactly. If you're in the top three you go with what you think is the best player available unless you somehow have surplus talent at positions projected at the top of the draft. Drafting for need at the top is what caused Portland to pick Sam Bowie #2 in 1984.

Really? I thought it was because bowie was really really good*

*my entire knowledge of bowie is based off of the 30 for 30 documentary on him

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

Really? I thought it was because bowie was really really good*

*my entire knowledge of bowie is based off of the 30 for 30 documentary on him

Portland went into the draft wanting a big. They lost the coin flip for #1 and didn't get Olajuwon, so they went Bowie instead of BPA in Michael Jordan. Obviously nobody knew Jordan would turn out how he did, but be was NCAA Player of the Year for 1984.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Aniki posted:

That being said, he's less developed physically and offensively, so he should take longer to develop and there is a risk that he may not realize his potential. He also played limited minutes because of Kentucky's depth, so I do have some concerns that his ability to run the court and expend effort on defense may decrease if he's asked to play more minutes, though the Wolves could rotate him with Pekovic and Dieng at center, so he wouldn't need to carry the full workload right away.

Wasn't a substantial portion of the limited minutes his insane foul total?

1st in the SEC in fouls, 70-something in minutes. I'm not saying that means Okafor is a better prospect or Towns shouldn't go to the Wolves (I love any big man with a high block rate who also keeps the swats inbounds)-but isn't that a fairly substantial red flag on Towns?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

he was NCAA Player of the Year for 1984.

Whoa. I didn't know this. I thought he was held back due to UNC's system for some reason and kind of under the radar.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Crazy Ted posted:

Portland went into the draft wanting a big. They lost the coin flip for #1 and didn't get Olajuwon, so they went Bowie instead of BPA in Michael Jordan. Obviously nobody knew Jordan would turn out how he did, but be was NCAA Player of the Year for 1984.

Which is why LA should take Frank.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Geoff Peterson posted:

Wasn't a substantial portion of the limited minutes his insane foul total?

1st in the SEC in fouls, 70-something in minutes. I'm not saying that means Okafor is a better prospect or Towns shouldn't go to the Wolves (I love any big man with a high block rate who also keeps the swats inbounds)-but isn't that a fairly substantial red flag on Towns?

He does have foul trouble, which is a concern. I'm not sure if his foul issues are something that can be corrected with coaching or are just part of his game, but fouls in basketball, especially once you get into the NBA seem completely random and illogical.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm seeing mocks having Cameron Payne what are your guys' thoughts about him? I see him as a possible reggie jackson replacement

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
what is the money difference between pick 1 and pick 2?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NickRoweFillea posted:

About 2 mil over the life of the contract I think

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought it was 1 million.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For next year it will be about 500k a year, so 2 mil.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

NickRoweFillea posted:

this is from 2014-2015

code:
Pick	1st Year Salary	2nd Year Salary	3rd Year Option Salary	
1	       $4,592,200            	$4,798,900	        $5,005,500	                       
2	        $4,108,800	        $4,293,700	         $4,478,600	                        
3	       $3,689,700	        $3,855,800	         $4,021,800	
4	        $3,326,700	        $3,476,400	         $3,626,100	
5	        $3,012,500	        $3,148,100	         $3,283,600

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

not to sound like a big dumb idiot but what do you mean Marcus Smart has turned out kinda great

is that Smart (good) compared to Randle (still relatively untested but very promising) ?

He's not been bad but would you have picked him #2 last year?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Metapod posted:

I'm seeing mocks having Cameron Payne what are your guys' thoughts about him? I see him as a possible reggie jackson replacement

Seems to have a lot of positive attributes: a true PG who can shoot, plays the pick and roll well, lefty, nice wingspan. He's really shot up the draft board in DX's latest mock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

A good guard prospect from Murray State? Shame he's gone way past the Rockets pick, they could've drafted and then benched him to torture me.

• Locked thread