Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

Tell me about the strengths and shortcomings of your starting QBs, or your QBs battling to start for y'all.

Connor Cook is considered one of the top 3 NFL QB prospects in the country and the second best quarterback in the Big Ten behind whoever is starting at Ohio State on a given Saturday. This confuses people that actually watch MSU because he has terrible footwork and makes some really bad decisions. BUT, he does have all the tools. Good arm, good mobility and (sorry) mental toughness. He is not rattled by interceptions or deficits. On an offense that lost big production in Jeremy Langford, Tony Lippett and Keith Mumphery, Sparty Nation turns its eyes to their leader on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

Tell me about the strengths and shortcomings of your starting QBs, or your QBs battling to start for y'all.

Strengths:
Arms
Legs
Smart

Weakness:
Eyebrows

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Ehud posted:

good band

:hfive: My man!

Jeez, I'm an English grad student and I have less of an opinion on commas than goons.
I'm pro-Oxford comma.

Edit: How am I so bad at phone posting?

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 22, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

alpha_destroy posted:

:hfive: My man!

Jeez, I'm an English grad student and I have less of an opinion on commas than goons.
:spoiler: I'm pro-Oxford comma. :spoiler:

There's no downside to using it. Not using it can cause confusion, depending on what is being written. So... yeah. Go oxford.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

pillsburysoldier posted:

Strengths:

Valuable Big 10 starting experience

Weaknesses:

Experience came under the tutelage of his offensive coordinator Greg Davis

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fluffdaddy posted:

I bet he "curses" like Yosemite Sam

Semi related but reminds me of my favorite gif:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oxford commas are loving awful.

Signed,
A guy who copy edits at a newspaper

I'm a newspaper copy editor too and I take out Oxford commas at work, but I'm actually extremely pro-Oxford and use them in my own writing. :shobon:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Groucho Marxist posted:

STRENGTHS
arm
legs

WEAKNESSES
brain

STRENGTHS
Scooter-riding
Escapability

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It's that time of year where ESPN writers are incredibly bored and are trying to come up with articles. One of the ACC columnists decided to try her hand at division realignment to even things out among the Atlantic and Coastal.

Her "best bet:"

Atlantic (The Georgia/Florida/Yankee Division):
BC
FSU
GT
Louisville
Miami
Pitt
Syracuse

Coastal (The Tobacco Division):
Clemson
Duke
UNC
NC State
UVA
VT
Wake

I wouldn't necessarily mind this, but it'd force Clemson to have to choose which yearly rivalry to keep... Either GT or FSU. Personally I don't really want to see either of them go, but I'd rather keep the GT rivalry alive. And in the immediate future, it would further weaken our already admittedly weak Strength of Schedule.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Michael Sam signed with the Alouettes in the CFL so I guess I'm a Montreal fan now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Scarf posted:

It's that time of year where ESPN writers are incredibly bored and are trying to come up with articles. One of the ACC columnists decided to try her hand at division realignment to even things out among the Atlantic and Coastal.

Her "best bet:"

Atlantic (The Georgia/Florida/Yankee Division):
BC
FSU
GT
Louisville
Miami
Pitt
Syracuse

Coastal (The Tobacco Division):
Clemson
Duke
UNC
NC State
UVA
VT
Wake

I wouldn't necessarily mind this, but it'd force Clemson to have to choose which yearly rivalry to keep... Either GT or FSU. Personally I don't really want to see either of them go, but I'd rather keep the GT rivalry alive. And in the immediate future, it would further weaken our already admittedly weak Strength of Schedule.

It's all dumb without a 9th game or getting rid of the permanent cross division rivalry. ACC just needs to pull its head out of it's rear end and either go with one of the way crazier division Pod formats (let's be innovative instead of an SEC copycat) or just do one of the two earlier ideas. The PAC12 & Big XII do just fine with 9 conference games, B1G is headed that way season after this one. It's basically just stupid that they refuse to address the obvious scheduling issues with the current setup.

Strengths
Facial Hair
Is not bothered by serious head trauma will continue to ball
Niftier running than you'd expect

Weaknesses
Noodle Arm
Short

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 22, 2015

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

pillsburysoldier posted:

Strengths
Is one of the most experienced returning qbs in the league.
Should have all the pieces in place to make quarterbacking easy.

Weaknesses
Is Brandon loving Allen.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

Justin Thomas: the best QB who will never appear on any top 10 lists or get drafted as a QB

Strengths
Best mind for the option Paul Johnson's ever had at QB
Really fast
Can actually throw the ball (he has the best passing statistics at GT since Joe Hamilton)

Weaknesses
Hasn't demonstrated whether he can be successful without a ton of talent backing him up at RB and WR

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Yeah, well how many spaces do you use after a period buddy?

It was two, until my wife crushed me over it because she did a lot of copy editing and whatnot. :shrug: Give me a break, I took typing in 7th grade and I'm 31. I think they still taught it like we were on a typewriter.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Treon:
Good: Decent arm and accuracy, pretty mobile.
Bad: Is a sophomore in a new offensive system--his second in two years.

Will Grier:
Good: Great arm and accuracy, pretty mobile.
Bad: Is a Redshirt Freshman in a new offensive system--his second in two years.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Strengths:
Could be Vernon Adams

Weaknesses:
Could be Jeff Lockie

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Braxton Miller

Positives

one of the most athletic QBs in college football
great arm strength

Negatives

least accurate of the three QBs
coming off shoulder surgery

Cardale Jones

Positives
Absolute cannon for an arm
able to run over many would be tacklers
decent running ability

Negatives
has only started 3 games
average accuracy

JT Barrett

Positives

Great accuracy on his passes
decent runner
has the best grasp on how the offense is run

Negatives

worst arm strength of the group
coming off ankle injury

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Strengths
I have no loving idea, all of them seem kinda bad.
Maybe one or two of them can run?

Weaknesses
Accuracy
Decision Making
Completely unknown supporting cast

Reasons none of that matters at all
Coach Bill motherfucking Snyder

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Strengths: Harbaugh
Weaknesses: :saddowns:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Greg Ward Junior the Second -

Pros: Runs like an ostrich
Cons: Throws like an ostrich

Adam Schultz -

Pros: Tall, white, slow, big arm, from Wisconsin, well suited to being a backup QB
Cons: Is a pocket passer in a Rich Rod-style shotgun spread offense. Is regularly assaulted by an ostrich in the circle drill.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 22, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pillsburysoldier posted:

Pros: He seems like he's improving quite a bit

Cons: he looks like he's 16

Apparently we have another dude coming in too that we just recruited but I don't know anything about him.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know what Hack's strength or weakness is because he got sacked

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

I don't know what Hack's strength or weakness is because he got sacked

Well you know he's durable.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Today, the NCAA delivered its "notice of allegations" to UNC regarding the fake classes scandal, meaning a hearing is upcoming.

The NCAA acts pretty quickly when a student athlete is accused of selling autographs but this sounds like something that should have happened years ago.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Today, the NCAA delivered its "notice of allegations" to UNC regarding the fake classes scandal, meaning a hearing is upcoming.

The NCAA acts pretty quickly when a student athlete is accused of selling autographs but this sounds like something that should have happened years ago.

Well yeah the fake classes didn't cost the NCAA money

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

computer parts posted:

Apparently we have another dude coming in too that we just recruited but I don't know anything about him.

Pro: one smooth cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6MFMXdyaWk

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder if he ever got the digits

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
My nephew got a scholarship to Rice (not for football or anything, just academics) which is cool.

When my mom told me this I started talking about how their band is cool since it's the only thing I know about Rice other than it's a pretty good school. Which led to A&M because of that whole mess way back when, and explaining how Aggies are insane. Five minutes later the words 'grode jar' popped out of my damned mouth for some reason and then I had to explain that. To my mother, who is the sweetest lady in the world and said hell's bells once when I was 10 and I've never heard anything close to a curse from her since. I just said they put rotten food and stuff in there.

I hate you TFF.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Boykin Pros:
Scrambles like a greased pig
Gets better when he actually has time to be a quarterback
Owns

Boykin Cons:
No stop you're going to hurt yourself it was cool but please don't do that again Jesus Christ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

I'm a newspaper copy editor too and I take out Oxford commas at work, but I'm actually extremely pro-Oxford and use them in my own writing. :shobon:

Yeah, ditto.

Is TFF secretly full of newspaper copy editors? :tinfoil:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
LSU doesn't have a QB.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

computer parts posted:

Kyle Allen - good arm, middling mobility, smart, savvy, scrappy, above average grit, good intangibles, good head on his shoulders, fine young man, heart

Kyler Murray - fast, athletic, natural athlete, good specimen, good kid, speed, good body beneath his head, articulate

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

Greg Ward Junior the Second -

Pros: Runs like an ostrich
Cons: Throws like an ostrich

Adam Schultz -

Pros: Tall, white, slow, big arm, from Wisconsin, well suited to being a backup QB
Cons: Is a pocket passer in a Rich Rod-style shotgun spread offense. Is regularly assaulted by an ostrich in the circle drill.

That was so funny. I took my dad to the Red & White game, and after that I turned to him and said "...and that's why QBs shouldn't be in The Circle".

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

C2C - 2.0 posted:

LSU doesn't have a QB.

I thought for sure LSU or Florida would get Braxton Miller or Golson

I'm starting to think Les just wants Fournette to run the wildcat

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

I thought for sure LSU or Florida would get Braxton Miller or Golson

I'm starting to think Les just wants Fournette to run the wildcat

Thing is, similar to 'Bama/AU & a few others in the conference, LSU doesn't need a great or very good QB. Just someone serviceable to keep the defense honest while the RB's/OL just try to ground the other team into dust.

Harris looked good in limited action last year, but was hurt during the AU game. Jennings looked abysmal most of the year. Hopefully another year under the (young) offense's belt will do the trick.

The SEC West is gonna' be nuts this year. Every team has at least a pre-season legitimate claim as to how they could finish first in the division.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/beckham-university-miami-discuss-stadium-partnership-001218969--mls.html

David Beckham and University of Miami are thinking about doing a joint venture stadium for both MLS soccer and college football. Right now they are thinking of putting it right next to the Marlins stadium, which is where the old Orange Bowl was. I think this is a great idea, Miami might actually get something resembling a crowd and home field advantage again. Also, a stadium that is serviced by public transportation and it closer to the school and where people live than it is now.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Thing is, similar to 'Bama/AU & a few others in the conference, LSU doesn't need a great or very good QB. Just someone serviceable to keep the defense honest while the RB's/OL just try to ground the other team into dust.

Harris looked good in limited action last year, but was hurt during the AU game. Jennings looked abysmal most of the year. Hopefully another year under the (young) offense's belt will do the trick.

The SEC West is gonna' be nuts this year. Every team has at least a pre-season legitimate claim as to how they could finish first in the division.

Actually Alabama's almost perfectly 50/50 with run/pass, and we rely more on the QB every year it seems. Arkansas is really the closest team to LSU now in playing style.

also yeah the West this year is horrifying. I'm not even worried about Georgia this year is how brutal every week is going to be. Glad we get the Bengals at home after our first bye cuz man the team is going to be worn out come November (plz be ready Derrick Henry)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

swickles posted:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/beckham-university-miami-discuss-stadium-partnership-001218969--mls.html

David Beckham and University of Miami are thinking about doing a joint venture stadium for both MLS soccer and college football. Right now they are thinking of putting it right next to the Marlins stadium, which is where the old Orange Bowl was. I think this is a great idea, Miami might actually get something resembling a crowd and home field advantage again. Also, a stadium that is serviced by public transportation and it closer to the school and where people live than it is now.

Hopefully it's not as hideous as the Marlins stadium

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

vyst posted:

Hopefully it's not as hideous as the Marlins stadium

As long as it also has a homerun touchdown sculpture that lights up and goes off, I will be ok with it.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan's QB Review:

Pros:
Many of them have a pulse, I'm told

Cons:
There are 60 of them, none any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

As long as it also has a homerun touchdown sculpture that lights up and goes off, I will be ok with it.

You know, its a shame that UNLV is awful at football because they could craft the most glorious touchdown machine the world has ever seen.

It would be an enormous slot machine. Your imagination can pretty much take it from there.

• Locked thread