Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

This triggers me. How is this an acceptable thing?
People more interested in pushing promos than promoting gameplay v:shobon:v.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Paddy's Pub in south Philly.
:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snacksmaniac posted:

This triggers me. How is this an acceptable thing?
Haha you should see Star Trek attack wing. Same as x-wing in base gameplay but inferior in a lot of ways and this is the most offensive. People defend it like they do bad rules writing everything for games workshop games :allears: and not reprinting legacy staples like wasteland and FOW at uncommon

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I ripped a foil Hierarch and a Mox Opal in the same pack today. :getin:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I bet the guy who wrote the bad "satire" articles plays flip or rip

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

lol

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

"Short-lived" in that it lasted for 7 years and had 20 sets.

It would have been a hell of a game if it hadn't broken 3 of the Cardinal Rules of CCG Design:
1 - Mechanically Unique Promos
2 - Silver Bullet Balancing
3 - Godawful templating

But it did give us all these:

It was fun as gently caress, despite those things. It only really lasted as a thing at my store for like 2 years.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I bet the guy who wrote the bad "satire" articles plays flip or rip

Flip and rip monsters of magic:
1. Satire bros
2. Who judges the judge mans man
3. Hitler????

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There was a fairly well connected community of card makers that were making new Raw Deal cards but they, of course, ran in to some copyright issues.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

People spend money on all types of stupid poo poo who cares if they rip up magic cards? It's not like you were going to open those packs anyways.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Wezlar posted:

People spend money on all types of stupid poo poo who cares if they rip up magic cards? It's not like you were going to open those packs anyways.

Lighting money on fire is cooler, honestly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well, it seems my regular shop is finally loving up. Since the change to Fnm to allow other formats, Friday's seem to not be reliable anymore. Too often someone who isn't regular comes to the shop to play Fnm standard only to find out its modern, legacy, or commander. They don't clearly schedule what Fnm will be but instead its last minute decisions based on.... :iiam: . Despite it being a Holliday weekend all the other shops fired off Fnm without issues while we argued about which format to play.

What a waste. :smith:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I fell right into the Domain trap today. Won't be making that mistake again. Still, casting things with Sunburst is still pretty fun in a "I will never willingly do this anywhere else ever again but I seem to have a board presence now" kind of way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so here's a cool little writeup on how Raw Deal did a certain thing with deck construction (and a few other card games did to some extent as well). It's sort of a giant monolithic precuror to ~The Command Zone~ (or a spiritual successor to Vanguard) but with a lot more intricacy since it's designed into the game (well, it kept getting bolted on, in this case).

So, you start with your superstar card:

The Heat Seekers
Superstar - Tag Team
Starting Hand Size: 8
Superstar Value: 7
Discard 2 cards: Exile 2 target cards from your graveyard. Shuffle another 2 target cards from your graveyard into your library. Then, choose one - * Draw 2 cards * Search your library for a Heel or Cheater card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only during your turn and only once each turn.

Pretty self-explanatory. By selecting this card, you also restrict yourself to only generic cards and The Heat Seekers branded cards. Superstar Value is occasionally referenced in the game (i.e. do X damage to a player where X is their Superstar Value), but the primary purpose is that the higher SV player goes first in each portion of the game.

So, with that card, you may also reveal Backstage Area cards. Some Superstars let you reveal certain specific cards, but these guys don't, so you only get the generic cards:

BACKSTAGE AREA (3)
Backstage Signature - (Tournament Prize) Unique Backstage - Your opponent's Superstar Value is -1.
Raw Deal 5th Anniversary - (Tournament Prize) Unique Backstage - Turn this card face down: Overturn 5 cards from your library. Then choose 5 cards in your graveyard and shuffle them into your library. Activate this ability only during your turn.
WWE Signing Appearance - (Tournament Prize) Unique Backstage - Your Superstar value is +1. At the end of the Pre-match phase, each player may put a card from their hand on top of their library. Each player that does, draws a card.

Now, here's the hitch: Everyone wants to play all 3 of these. They are basically 3 free cards in terms of deck construction, they each do something good, and they are all generic and unique. They are all also tournament prizes (see also: mechanically unique promos).
Obviously, the Signature and Appearance cancel each other out for Superstar Value, but if you don't have them, WELP GET hosed.

After you do all that, you move on to the Pre-match phase. Pre-match cards are part of what is, effectively, a 20-card sideboard, called a Backlash Deck, split evenly into 10 Pre-match and 10 Mid-match cards. The player can look at their Backlash Deck at any time, and play any card in the deck at its appropriate time (Pre-match - in the pre-match phase, Mid-match - during normal play, they have normal card types). Backlash cards are differentiated from normal cards easily as they are printed sideways. Normal cards cannot be part of the Backlash Deck.

So, Superstar Values are checked, First Player is determined, then the following sequence happens:

Active Player (AP) may play a Pre-Match Venue. Non-Active Player (NAP) may play a Pre-Match Venue.
AP may play a Pre-Match Feud. NAP may play a Pre-Match Feud.
AP may play a Pre-Match Stipulation. NAP may play a Pre-Match Stipulation.
AP may play a Pre-Match Manager. NAP may play a Pre-Match Manager.
AP may play a Pre-Match Feud. NAP may play a Pre-Match Feud.
AP and NAP then take turns playing Pre-Match Objects and Events until both players pass consecutively (like MtG priority in phases). However, by default, each player can only play 5 of their 10 Pre-Match cards total.

{Editor's Note: There's a few of terms you'll need to know to undersand this part: Active, Unique, and Universal.
Unique: Restricted to 1 per deck.
Active: Only 1 may be in play at a time. You may not play another until this one is removed.
Universally Unique: No player may play another copy of this card.
Universally Active: No player may play another card with the same Type.}

So, the Pre-Match for this deck looked a little like this:

BACKLASH DECK (20)
Pre-match (10)

On Your Home Turf - Universally Active Pre-Match Venue - (The Heat Seekers Branded) - Indestructible. At the end of the Pre-Match phase, your opponent may choose 4 cards from their hand, and place them on the bottom of their library. If they do not, they must exile 2 cards from their hand, chosen randomly.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada - Universally Active Pre-Match Venue - Indestructible. Your Superstar value is -4. Your opponent's Superstar Value is -6.

Bitter Rivals - Universally Unique Pre-Match Feud - If your SV is lower than your opponent's, you are the Active Player for the rest of the Pre-Match Phase. If your SV is greater than your opponent's, Title Belt cards cannot be played. If your SV is equal to your opponent's, choose either of the above options.

Hell in a Cell Match - Active Pre-Match Stipulation - Indestructible. Run-in cards cannot be played. If a card would leave the graveyard due to any card or effect, instead it remains in the graveyard. Cards with the following brands are not affected by this card: Chris Jericho, Kane, Mankind, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Cacust Jack, Deadman Inc, and Shawn Michaels.

Managed by Vince McMahon - Universally Unique Pre-Match Manager - At the end of the Pre-Match Phase: Choose two - * Target Stipulation an opponent controls loses all abilities while this card is in play * Destroy target Title Belt an opponent controls * Return up to 2 cards from your graveyard to your hand. * +2 Mid-Match Card Limit while this card is in play.
Managed by Terri Runnels - Universally Unique Pre-Match Manager Heel - Your opponent's Starting Hand Size is -1. Sacrifice this: Counter target card that allows your opponent to search his library for 1 or more cards. End the Turn.

It’s All About the Game - Unique Pre-Match Event - Play only if you control no other Pre-match events. Your Starting Hand Size is -5. All players place all cards in their Backlash Deck into their graveyard.
Calling You Out - Unique Pre-Match Event - Your opponent reveals their Backlash Deck. Choose 1 Pre-match Event or Object. Your opponent must play that card as their next Pre-match card, if possible.
Old School Wrestling Match - Unique Pre-Match Event - The next Pre-match card played by your opponent loses all abilities before it enters the battlefield. At the end of the Pre-match phase, destroy that card.
United States Title Belt - Universally Unique Pre-Match Object - (Smackdown Branded) - Your Superstar value is +1. Your opponent's Pre-match card limit is reduced by 1.

Unfortunately, I realized about 75% of the way through that I accidentally chose a lousy example since the back half of the Pre-match deck is devoted to cancelling out your opponent's Pre-match cards, but... you get the idea.

It's a neat thing I'd like to see some other CCGs do well. OG Star Trek CCG could spend as much time setting up the pre-game as actually playing, the poo poo was so intricate. I don;t think MtG could ever really go this way, but it's a fun thought exercise.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Got back from FNM, went 3-1, 11 packs into 33 storecred, got 3 MM15 packs.

Spellskite, Eye of Ugin, the really bad Angel bulk rare, foil Expedition Map.

I've got like 43 in storecred so I'm like, why not, three more.

Fulminator Mage, Splinter Twin, All Sun's Dawn.

:thumbsup:

Edit: Collected Company is the real deal, with the only time I "whiffed" on Company being double Elvish Mystic, Surrak, and Stormbreath.

I also like how it says "Look at" and not "Reveal".

So I get to terrify people with the EoT CoCo, slam double Knuckleblade, untap, swing 8, pump and counter their downfall with Stubborn Denial.

God I love Temur :3:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 23, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Count Bleck posted:

Fulminator Mage, Splinter Twin, All Sun's Dawn.

Fulminator Mage is a pretty good pull though. You came closer to breaking even than lots of people will on their impulse pack-cracking. :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
please don't draft the domain deck

in sealed it is just OK

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Looks like wizards made an article about the big lgs I sometimes drive to.

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/inside-worlds-most-successful-fnm

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Wezlar posted:

I care. Because it's wasteful and bad-spirited. In much the same way that I dislike when people eat half of a pizza and throw the rest away. It doesn't matter who opens the packs, it's a loving scummy thing to do that just shows how much of an entitled fool a person is.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Can't play live magic any time soon, so I dropped into the LGS and bought a pack just for the hell of it. They were $13 CAD each with GST which doesn't seem terrible. I'd love to hear what other Canadians are paying.

Got a Karn Liberated, which is nice since I'm building a cube.

Might see if I can squeeze in a DTK draft tonight. Wish I was good enough for 8-4s. The Swisses take forever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm doing everything I can to keep myself from buying a box and just picking up the singles as they drop in price.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Currently 2-0 with suicide R/B against too many W/U decks. They all choked each other out and I drafted 3 Smash to Smithereens, 2 Combust, and a Goyf for which I picked three evolving wilds to splash.

This will never happen again, I'm retiring from MM15 a champion .

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm doing everything I can to keep myself from buying a box and just picking up the singles as they drop in price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_4GeX3ZF0

From Grimace to you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I am new in town and don't get this joke, I just want to play MtG here with some cool people :smith:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

I am new in town and don't get this joke, I just want to play MtG here with some cool people :smith:

That's the setting of the television show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is a fictional tv show

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Veyrall posted:

I care. Because it's wasteful and bad-spirited. In much the same way that I dislike when people eat half of a pizza and throw the rest away. It doesn't matter who opens the packs, it's a loving scummy thing to do that just shows how much of an entitled fool a person is.

Do you get mad at "entitled" people who put their money into literal slot machines too?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Did 3 drafts. Set is a lot of fun. Split two drafts with artifacts and then spirits and got my face beat in by r/w equipment the last draft.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Jabor posted:

Do you get mad at "entitled" people who put their money into literal slot machines too?

I would definitely mock them if they randomly dumped their winnings into a trashcan 50% of the time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

whydirt posted:

I would definitely mock them if they randomly dumped their winnings into a trashcan 50% of the time.

The EV you get from flip-and-ripping a pack is exactly half the EV of just opening it. (If you think otherwise you're bad at probability.)

Veyrall was calling people "entitled" because they "waste" less than $2 of value in order to get some entertainment, so I was wondering what other forms of probabilistically-losing-money were also "entitled".

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

End of Life Guy posted:

Currently 2-0 with suicide R/B against too many W/U decks. They all choked each other out and I drafted 3 Smash to Smithereens, 2 Combust, and a Goyf for which I picked three evolving wilds to splash.

This will never happen again, I'm retiring from MM15 a champion .

I'm telling you guys

Force B/R

IT IS NUTS

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

The EV you get from flip-and-ripping a pack is exactly half the EV of just opening it. (If you think otherwise you're bad at probability.)

Veyrall was calling people "entitled" because they "waste" less than $2 of value in order to get some entertainment, so I was wondering what other forms of probabilistically-losing-money were also "entitled".

Probably all the willfully destructive ones.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

Veyrall posted:

These are both bad comparisons since the people playing slots are not reducing the supply of anything, and MtG cards are not literally needed for survival.

I think playing flip and rip is pretty stupid, but I don't really buy the argument that it has much of an effect on the local market for cards. I mean, obviously it makes a small difference, but I would guess that things like speculation and hoarding of chase cards is a much bigger effect on how hard or easy it is to find a particular card to trade for.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ha! I opened a case of MM1 and got nothing. A v clique and some ravagers, swords and garbage.

Then my buddy got me a box for my wedding and I pulled my 4th and final goyf.

My chances are not high with boxes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Flip and rip is pretty awesome since anger at it is inevitably directed at the people playing it rather than at the conditions of artificial scarcity themselves. The only loser in a game of flip and rip is the spectator who gets mad when the destroyed cardboard resembles the cardboard that is currently under glass with a $40 price tag on it, rather than the cardboard that is in the wastebasket following a draft. All composite phenomena are impermanent. Death is certain.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I pulled 2 goyfs out of three draft packs tonight.

Becouse of that and some money, I now own an LP English Moat

I feel good about thius

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Flip and rip is pretty awesome since anger at it is inevitably directed at the people playing it rather than at the conditions of artificial scarcity themselves. The only loser in a game of flip and rip is the spectator who gets mad when the destroyed cardboard resembles the cardboard that is currently under glass with a $40 price tag on it, rather than the cardboard that is in the wastebasket following a draft. All composite phenomena are impermanent. Death is certain.

Burn my cards at my funeral pyre.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Trying to make any kind of "statement" by playing flip and rip is so loving weirdo mtg liberterian

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My LGS manager was randomly opening packs for the store tonight as people were buying some.

Kiki-Jiki, Foil Cryptic.

Foil All is Dust.

Foil Vendilion Clique!

2 (apparently. I only saw 1 myself) Karns.

Says he's just gonna keep going like that 'til he hits a dud pack. :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just bought a single pack.

Opened foil Spellskite. Should probably quit while I'm ahead.

My friend bought a box. Opened 23 packs and his only Mythic was Comet Storm.

He just opened the last pack a minute ago. Foil Goyf. :aaaaa:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

qbert posted:

I just bought a single pack.

Opened foil Spellskite. Should probably quit while I'm ahead.

My friend bought a box. Opened 23 packs and his only Mythic was Comet Storm.

He just opened the last pack a minute ago. Foil Goyf. :aaaaa:

This story nearly had a happy ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AgentSythe posted:

This story nearly had a happy ending

The hype caused me to buy a 2nd pack.

Surgical Extraction. :(

This is why gambling is bad.