Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

TERA is good. Squirrel girls are good.

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFesCqZHVSE

Every once and awhile Tera reminds me of why it is a Good Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
My joke offer backfired and now they're asking me to be a mod in r/wildstar for real

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Chairman posted:

My joke offer backfired and now they're asking me to be a mod in r/wildstar for real

OMG please accept this great honor. Do it for freedom.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
hahahahahahahahaha, wow. The greatest part is they love you for not playing Wildstar still according to the comments.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is something to be very proud of. Out of the huge pool of people that don't play Wildstar they picked you.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

It's like winning a lottery really.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

cthulhoo posted:

It's like winning a lottery really.

It's like that short story The Lottery.

(do it)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Chairman posted:

He chose...poorly.

(doitdoitdoit)

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That mandatory introduction essay has some potential for comedy.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Chairman posted:

do this or bring eternal shame unto your family

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

We are building a troll of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Chairman posted:

You have to do it for at least a month or so then drop the SA Connection......and then say when the game goes F2P it was through the influence of the EVE Goons.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Chairman posted:

I'll offer a custom title certificate if you do it and keep the job for at least a few weeks.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BigPaddy posted:

We are building a troll of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

This is not a chawade!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

This is not a chawade!

I'm sending both of you to Detroit.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

My favourite Wildstar memory was having AMD components anywhere in my computer, and when I complained that the game ran like rear end, being shouted down by countless goons that my computer was bad and I should feel bad, until Carbine admitted that they had literally never tested anything at all on any AMD hardware, and that there was exactly zero optimization done on anything at all.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Brain In A Jar posted:

My favourite Wildstar memory was having AMD components anywhere in my computer, and when I complained that the game ran like rear end, being shouted down by countless goons that my computer was bad and I should feel bad, until Carbine admitted that they had literally never tested anything at all on any AMD hardware, and that there was exactly zero optimization done on anything at all.

Your computer is bad and you should feel bad. Friends don't let friends AMD. (At the moment their stuff is poo poo compared to Intel/Nvidia)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Your computer is bad and you should feel bad. Friends don't let friends AMD. (At the moment their stuff is poo poo compared to Intel/Nvidia)

The GPUs are fine and usually a good deal cheaper.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Nvidia vs AMD comparisons aside, it is absolutely hilarious to hear about a company that is hoping to attract millions of players and hardly do any testing at all on AMD. WS dropped the ball in a lot of ways but other than certain core design decisions I would say that their QA process but by far the worst part. Of course, this is based on my hip shot opinion as an outsider looking in so yeah.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Game still ran like poo poo no matter what computer you had.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Brain In A Jar posted:

"Don't worry, they'll fix it after launch, see they already did some optimization"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Arzachel posted:

The GPUs are fine and usually a good deal cheaper.

The GPUs aren't fine, they require a great deal of specialized code to make them work properly on OpenGL if you want to use anything that even sort of looks like an arb. They also can't really handle texture sampling in the vertex shader and only cards made in the last year or two support it at all, meaning that most modern terrain rendering techniques are cut off to you. AMD are rear end for developers to work with and have been for a really long time. The whole mantle project was built on the idea that they've been hawking for a few years now, that AMD cards aren't bad, everyone just needs to stop using card-agnostic graphics libraries and write entire renderers targetted only at AMD GPUs.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
AMD haven't released a WHQL driver set since SEPTEMBER. Nvidia have release at least 10 sets with regular updates as new AAA games are released in the same time (the nvidia driver browser only shows the last 10 sets of WHQL drivers, which goes back as far as the start of november). AMD's support is loving awful.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My favorite Wildstar memory was when I bought it on sale on Amazon in February and literally saw zero other people while I was playing it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like here, read Eric Lengyel talking about his ongoing war with AMD driver support in 2006.

quote:

As already mentioned, only Nvidia properly implements FrameBuffer Objects, and this is currently required for post-processing effects. (It's very likely, though, that we will implement legacy pbuffer support for ATI hardware, but it will be significantly slower.) I spoke to ATI representatives in person about this issue about a month ago, and I was told that they will not implement the rest of FBO functionality until late this year at the earliest. I don't know what their problem is. If you'd like to prod them about it, please write a professional email to ATI's developer relations people (devrel@ati.com) asking for support for the GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil extension.

Other things in Nvidia hardware that C4 uses which aren't available in ATI hardware:
- Depth bounds test. Nvidia hardware has a neat feature that is used by the engine to remove unneccessary fragments from shadow volumes and lit surfaces. ATI hardware must render all fragments in these cases, even though a lot of them don't contribute to the final image.
- Dedicated normalization hardware. Nvidia pixel shader units have special hardware that perform vector normalizations in parallel with other operations for free. On ATI hardware, you have to pay for the whole DP3/RSQ/MUL sequence.
- Much better low-level shader support. Nvidia hardware has many more native instructions than ATI hardware does (for example divide, divide by square root, sin, cos), and C4 takes advantage of this whenever possible.
- Dedicated fog fraction hardware. Nvidia pixel shader units have special hardware for calculating fog fraction and performing the final fog color interpolation. The engine uses this for per-vertex fog. (Not a big deal, but it's there.)

Obviously, I like Nvidia hardware (and their drivers) more than ATI hardware. But to be fair, there are some things about ATI hardware that I like better than Nvidia hardware. For one, ATI uploads fragment programs and texture maps in the command buffer, whereas Nvidia uploads them through special memory transfers can take more time. ATI's newest generation chips (but not any earlier ones) have slightly better swizzling capabilities than Nvidia for most instructions. ATI hardware can do a LRP in one native instruction, but Nvidia hardware requires two (that still run in one cycle, though).

quote:

dxben wrote:
You're saying the new X1900XTX from ATI will support FBO properly?

Yes, all existing ATI hardware is capable of properly supporting FBO. That they don't is a driver deficency.

quote:

dxben wrote:
Can you summise exactly what is wrong with their FBO support, because I have a line into them and they are asking me for details. Just write up a few sentences and I'll send it to them.

The original framebuffer object extension is flawed in a couple of ways as a replacement for pbuffers. The first flaw is lack of support for stencil attachments that hardware can actually support (an interleaved depth/stencil surface is necessary, but the spec only allows for separate depth and stencil surfaces). The second flaw is a lack of multisampling support. These flaws have already been recognized by the ARB working group and addressed on paper in the form of the EXT_packed_depth_stencil extension and the newer EXT_framebuffer_multisample and EXT_framebuffer_blit extensions.

Nvidia has already implemented the EXT_packed_depth_stencil extension, and the other two extensions are expected in the 85.xx drivers. ATI has repeatedly stated that they are not implementing any of these extensions in the near future even though they had people in the working group that designed them. (I even spoke to one of those people in person, but he said they're just not going to do it anytime soon, and he couldn't give me a timeframe that wasn't completely vague.) I can live without the multisample extensions, but since C4 uses the stencil buffer, it is impossible to use FBOs without the EXT_packed_depth_stencil extension.

So in short, it is absolutely necessary the the EXT_packed_depth_stencil extension be supported in the OpenGL driver in order for C4 to use FBOs. Otherwise, we have no choice but to use legacy pbuffer functionality.

(The funny thing is, after I explained to ATI's engineer what my situation was, he kept trying to convince me that I should use FBOs instead of pbuffers because FBOs are much faster. Hello! Anybody home?)

When making a game, you can pick two: Good AMD support, modern techniques, a single renderer implementation.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

AMD = Carbine.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the example from 2006, also laughing if you think that special game optimization is unique to AMD.

Still, also laughing at how bad Wildstar is. The trainwreck was incredibly evident even back during the betas.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Does that free 10 day trial for old subscribers still exist? Maybe I should martyr myself by logging in and seeing if they've fixed the weird crashes.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does that free 10 day trial for old subscribers still exist? Maybe I should martyr myself by logging in and seeing if they've fixed the weird crashes.

In the current theme of the thread I reinstalled this game and ran around for a little bit. I upgraded my processor from one that was seven years old. Since I last played. (Core2Duo something to i7) Same video card but the performance difference in basically every game I try has been unlike anything since upgrading my 486 to a Pentium 266.

Wildstar runs about the same and I'm not loving joking. I mean a little better sure but not smoothly, apparently this game is incapable of running smoothly.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Wildstar ran okay for me on an HD4000, but then I did have to switch to low settings (with textures tweaked higher). I'm so used to playing old-rear end games though that I don't even notice low quality settings most of the time. :toot: Didn't crash for me either.

And yeah the free trial is still a thing, mine just ended. I'd never been subbed before, but the page said old subbed accounts could get the trial too.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Unless they changed it, the button to cancel your subscription isn't right there on the main account page. You had to go to transaction history or something like that first, and it was off to the side.

As if anyone who was really sick of paying for the game would be thwarted by navigating an extra page or two.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The trial is still there and apparently if you had CREDD from days gone by, it's magically still there even though it's supposed to be deleted after 90 days or some such. I still have all mine.

Here's the fun thing however. If you used the google auth thing at launch and have since formatted your PC or switched phones and don't have the seed code, you have to contact support to get the 2 step auth removed on your account. This could take anywhere from a day to a week I'm hearing so make sure you got that poo poo squared away before you start the trial.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Anatharon posted:

Every once and awhile Tera reminds me of why it is a Good Game.

I think people are forgetting that Tera was an absolute trainwreck at launch as well. The game was packed full of people for the first month, but I remember buying 2 months of in-game time with gold and after that first month Velika had maybe like 4 people in it. Also, you had to do Every. Single. Quest. to level and iirc you -had- to do the dungeons to even unlock the next set of story quests. there was a point in the early 40s where I ran out of quests to do and had to grind on panthers for a level just to even get a few more quests. It was a pain in the rear end. The game has come a long way since launch.

I have a feeling that with a similar F2P model, Wildstar will actually see similar success. That is, if the devs somehow get a little less retarded (probably not likely).

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

desudrive posted:

I think people are forgetting that Tera was an absolute trainwreck at launch as well. The game was packed full of people for the first month, but I remember buying 2 months of in-game time with gold and after that first month Velika had maybe like 4 people in it. Also, you had to do Every. Single. Quest. to level and iirc you -had- to do the dungeons to even unlock the next set of story quests. there was a point in the early 40s where I ran out of quests to do and had to grind on panthers for a level just to even get a few more quests. It was a pain in the rear end. The game has come a long way since launch.

I have a feeling that with a similar F2P model, Wildstar will actually see similar success. That is, if the devs somehow get a little less retarded (probably not likely).

you're triggering my aion english beta memories

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Thunderbro posted:

you're triggering my aion english beta memories

I feel ya. The only difference is that Aion never got better.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

quote:

57 pages and still not a single word from Carbine on the subject. It's quite disappointing to watch them let their game fall to pieces while they suck up every cent they can get. The integrity is gone. TimeTravel needs to find a studio that will appreciate his abilities and the rest of the studio should start thinking about career changes.

WildStar user to be so proud... now it's just confused.

quote:

I loved WildStar, and as much as I'll keep fighting for it's population, deep down I'm ready for this game to die so the talent can go where it's potential will be set free. Why? They listened to the wrong people, started giving handouts and nerfing content. Let a single class reign supreme for nearly a year without EVER nerfing it, just more reworks. Every addition to the game for the last 3 drops has been to appeal to the "5 minute gamer".

Yes, I consider myself hardcore.
Yes, I think casual content ruins games.
And yes, I think WildStar is the perfect example of that.

quote:

The ONLY thing they've done since launch that can even vaguely be considered hardcore is the introduction of these exceptional runes and only because it take so long to get a set; no difficulty involved.

So I ask you, where/when have they ever listened to the hardcore crowd since launch. You can stop with that hypocritical BS when you realize how wrong you are.

quote:

Another huge misconception from the misinformed. Never once have I ever been told how I should play, outside of being told that a ceryain fight requires interrupts or a CC break, which by no means is unreasonable.

Really, all I want to see is one drop aimed at us. You all.claim that WS caters to the hardcore but in reality it's the exact opposite. I'm not knocking what you are choosing to do, I'm knocking the lack of relevant content.

Guys, we've got it all wrong. Wildstar is the most casual game on the market. Wrap it up, Aurinailures.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

desudrive posted:

I feel ya. The only difference is that Aion never got better.

It got better earnings than Wildstar.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
imagine if all of wildstar's latent spergery was focused on something productive like science or train games

we would already be on mars

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Actually, the big surprise is that they're selling Wildstar to Aeria Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guys, we've got it all wrong. Wildstar is the most casual game on the market. Wrap it up, Aurinailures.

Hardcore Game design cannot fail. It can only be failed.

• Locked thread