Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Please don't troll by implying otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's Vanille.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

definitely fang

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Who's hotter: Lightning, Fang or Vanille.

Alyssa

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lightning and Fang.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hope's mother.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I love mindlessly consuming garbage. :justpost:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

What the gently caress has even happened here

Is this what XIII does to people

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fang, why is this even a question

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

Bosses like Barthandelus that cast doom do so after 20 minutes, so the time limit is about 23 minutes or slightly longer if you use summons. The game provides feedback? Like what, star ratings? They're mostly meaningless and sandbagging for shrouds is the only material benefit you get from them as far as I can recall.

Say what you like but ranking systems are a feedback (and I pointed out earlier that, no, there is a straight-up material benefit, you can't even get certain items to drop below 3 stars.)

Beyond that the entire stagger system is based around encouraging repeated attacks and less turtling. If you ignore that entirely that is fine but the game absolutely shoves it in your face. Between the stagger meter and the chain meter there's very little benefit to playing passively.

Francis posted:

Most games punish you for 'playing it wrong' or ignoring mechanics or going somewhere you aren't supposed to go or whatever by killing you. Final Fantasy XIII cannot kill you creatively since the mechanics aren't deep enough to do anything more than apply damage to hit points or cast Doom. No encounter that deals enough damage to hit points to kill a player in triple sentinel (swapping between medic and keeping buffs up, etc) can be beaten and an unwinnable encounter is another strong contender for Objectively Bad Design so that leaves the Doom option.

You're wrong about the triple-sentinel thing because you can actually beat most bosses in the game without using the Crystarium or equipment upgrades! Proper swapping and actually understanding the mechanics allows you to do more than triple-sentineling and hoping for the best.

Likewise, FFXIII actually has a few different mechanics in play. The Doom thing is the gimmick of a specific boss (who you, admittedly, fight repeatedly.) It's a gimmick designed to encourage speed but it isn't like every boss in the game casts Doom at 20 minutes.

Francis posted:

It's nice when figuring out the winning pattern takes more than five seconds or isn't the same for most of your time with the game. To an extent Final Fantasy XIII actually benefits from the overlong tutorial for this reason.

The "winning pattern" involves using the proper combination of healing, attack, buffing, debuffing and defending at the right time in the enemy pattern for maximum effectiveness while minimizing damage to your party. I have now described every Final Fantasy combat system.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 23, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zero.

wait poo poo

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I finished and got the Plat Trophy in Type-0 today.

When I first started the game, I thought "why are people disliking this? It's actually pretty fun!" and now I just want to throw the game into a fire. It sucks and isn't very good and S-E must have spent 5 bucks on that VA it's so bad. Please don't buy the game. I actually bought it because I wanted to play it, not just for the XV demo, so that really hurts.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I almost want to buy the X/X-2 re-release, but I know I'll get sucked into endless hours of Blitzball....

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Boten Anna posted:

I have provided examples though? Here's a few things about Theatrhythm off the top of my head that are very bad design:

* You have to play every single song on Easy to unlock the whole game (and if I recall, to access DLC or make it even relevant) which is tedious and mind-numbing and takes several hours

* The RPG elements don't make much sense, with many decisions boiling down to choosing between different options you have no real control over

* The only good thing to grind to unlock a good chunk of hte game's content is the Chaos shrine, but DLC never appears in the Chaos Shrine. Neither do the EMS (movie) stages, or several other regular songs, and there's only one difficulty which is harder than normal and easier than hard usually; it's way too inflexible and limited for as much as you need to play it to access game content

* Speaking of the EMS stages, there are a lot of good songs that are EMS but only appear in the game mode where you select one song at a time, which has the worst rewards

* You cannot get a perfect score unless you unequip everything, which is a tedious and manual process, and there are no gearsets

* I have played well over 100 hours and am not even close to unlocking all the characters. This is also what I mean by the Chaos Shrine being the only thing worth grinding, as it's about the only way to unlock characters sometime before the heat death of the universe, yet does not let you experience the full breadth of the content in the game, nor any additional content you paid for (and from a business standpoint, it's totally hosed up to basically make the additional add-on sales force you to play the least rewarding game mode instead of having it enhance the more rewarding parts)

* This one is more opinion, but the separation of BMS/FMS abilities and the weird sacrifices and choices you have to make to balance the two (especially for Chaos Shrine grinding) is just not very fun or good, especially if you are trying to level a bunch of people more than build an optimal party where you don't always have good control over who you can take that specializes in what (nor is this always clear on a character you haven't levelled yet)

* In order to fill the critical meter on a given stage you have to purposefully gently caress up summoning then get perfects on the non-summon part which is just really weird and not fun at all

This is all true and it's a shame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretend to care posted:

I almost want to buy the X/X-2 re-release, but I know I'll get sucked into endless hours of Blitzball....

Apparently it's got some nasty bugs so I'd hold off. (If you mean the PS4 version.)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Artix posted:

Zero.

wait poo poo

If we're going this direction the clear answer is Rise. All your waifus a poo poo, mine's a pop idol with identity issues.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Celes

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Say what you like but ranking systems are a feedback (and I pointed out earleir that, no, there is a straight-up material benefit, you can't even get certain items to drop below 3 stars.)

What items? Anything you need? Or even care about?

ImpAtom posted:

Beyond that the entire stagger system is based around encouraging repeated attacks and less turtling. If you ignore that entirely that is fine but the game absolutely shoves it in your face. Between the stagger meter and the chain meter there's very little benefit to playing passively.

It doesn't really shove it in your face. It's there. The benefit is more damage.

Think about how many times there's a confusing or poorly explained system in an RPG and when you ask about it people will say 'oh, just ignore it if you don't understand it, it doesn't really matter.' (like dualizing in Tales of Graces, can you guess what I'm playing?) What does Final Fantasy XIII do to impress upon you how important staggering is? Most random battles will end before the stagger meter fills.

ImpAtom posted:

That's pretty ridiculous. "If I do nothing but heal and refuse to attack, the game is unwinnable" isn't bad design because it involves a player intentionally setting up an unwinnable situation. Likewise, there are other examples in FFXIII of them using the mechanics in ways besides Doom meter. That particular fight probably could be more elegant but it's unwinnable only if you intentionally throw it.

It's bad design because the game isn't unwinnable without arbitrarily killing you and would be unlosable otherwise. It's like how SMT bonus bosses insist you 'play fair' because you would otherwise be immune to everything. The three big differences are that 1) SMT only prevents you from cheesing the hardest optional content in the game and not a mid-level storyline boss, 2) the abusive, foolproof setup in FFXIII is also the most tedious and time-consuming, and 3) both games should tell you what they're doing and why before they do them but SMT bonus bosses megidolaon you on Turn 1 and not after twenty minutes.

ImpAtom posted:

The "winning pattern" involves using the proper combination of healing, attack, buffing, debuffing and defending at the right time in the enemy pattern for maximum effectiveness while minimizing damage to your party. I have now described every Final Fantasy combat system.

We both agree that Final Fantasy combat systems are pretty mediocre. In many of them equipment, skill, and class setup is a good deal more involved and interesting than fighting the battles themselves. Final Fantasy XIII has streamlined away nearly all of these systems. All it has left is fighting battles, which is more interesting than in any other Final Fantasy, but still not great.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently it's got some nasty bugs so I'd hold off. (If you mean the PS4 version.)

I do. Thanks for the heads up. I still have Shadows of Mordor in the wrapping, so I guess I'll give that a shot. :cheers:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

It doesn't really shove it in your face. It's there. The benefit is more damage.

No it isn't.

The stagger system does the following:
More damage (duh)
Increases the success rate of status effects, including things like Instant Death
Improves healing
Allows certain moves (launchers) to be used.
Changes an enemy's resistances
Changes an enemy's attack patterns

The meter is onscreen at all times. There are giant pop-up tutorials on stagger. Many of the moves you can unlock focus on stagger. The core combat system and paradigm swapping involves stagger management more than it does damage. Most bosses have special responses to being staggered. There is a giant cool visual feedback when you max stagger out so even if you don't understand it mechanically for some reason you should still be going for it because it gives you cool effects, makes your numbers bigger, and lets you knock enemies into the air.

If you didn't understand that the stagger system is important early into FFXIII, I'm not sure what to say. There's a difference between not understanding a minor mechanic and not understanding the entire center point of the game's combat system.

pretend to care posted:

I do. Thanks for the heads up. I still have Shadows of Mordor in the wrapping, so I guess I'll give that a shot. :cheers:

You lucky bastard.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 23, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It emphasizes staggering by that being like, the sole mechanic everything else is built around...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's no better gameplay feeling in any FF than launching a freshly staggered opponent into the air and swapping to COM/COM/COM and having Lightning, Fang and Sazh unload on the helpless sucker while HUGE GOLD NUMBERS fly out of it

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't.

The stagger system does the following:
More damage (duh)
Increases the success rate of status effects, including things like Instant Death
Improves healing
Allows certain moves (launchers) to be used.
Changes an enemy's resistances
Changes an enemy's attack patterns

The meter is onscreen at all times. There are giant pop-up tutorials on stagger. Many of the moves you can unlock focus on stagger. The core combat system and paradigm swapping involves stagger management more than it does damage. Most bosses have special responses to being staggered. There is a giant cool visual feedback when you max stagger out so even if you don't understand it mechanically for some reason you should still be going for it because it gives you cool effects, makes your numbers bigger, and lets you knock enemies into the air.

You don't need to care about any of this at all. This is, perhaps, a flaw.

There's no better gameplay feeling in any FF than launching a freshly staggered opponent into the air and swapping to COM/COM/COM and having Lightning, Fang and Sazh unload on the helpless sucker while HUGE GOLD NUMBERS fly out of it

look I already said Final Fantasy has really bad gameplay what more do you want

Francis fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

Yes you do. :psyduck: It is literally the thing the combat system is built around. It is the reason you bother swapping paradigms! The entire point of Commander/Ravager is that they have different impact on the stagger meter!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yes you do. :psyduck: It is literally the thing the combat system is built around. It is the reason you bother swapping paradigms! The entire point of Commander/Ravager is that they have different impact on the stagger meter!

It's a vile troll.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Francis posted:

You do if you want to actually interact with and influence the game in front of you and not have every random encounter take roughly triple the time they would otherwise

This fact seems to elude alot of people who've sworn blood oaths against FFXIII

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would say the stagger meter being in the top right of the screen at all times and moving every time you hit an enemy would make it obvious enough that it's an important part of the system.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I wonder if people would have a better outlook on FFXIII if it was harder and you absolutely needed to interact with staggering or the buff/debuff classes to progress, stopping them from giving the bare minimum, taking 50 minutes to slowly whittle down a boss and thinking the problem was the game

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

There are really people who don't get the stagger system? :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

I wonder if people would have a better outlook on FFXIII if it was harder and you absolutely needed to interact with staggering or the buff/debuff classes to progress, stopping them from giving the bare minimum, taking 50 minutes to slowly whittle down a boss and thinking the problem was the game

Amusingly part of the complaints about FFXIII in Japan were that it was too hard to begin with. That is why FFXIII:I's only major change was an Easy mode and probably part of why FFXIII-2 was so piss-easy.

This seems to be continuing with FFXV where they heard both "this is too easy" from the west and "this is too hard" from Japan!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Guys, you need to take it easy. Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand. Stop sending all of these negative waves.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My biggest worry for Square Enix's future is that they don't seem to have learned yet that they need to make game mechanics and systems more central to their game design process instead of--as they have admitted to doing in every mainline Final Fantasy game in the last 9 years and is clearly manifest in many if not most of their high profile titles--basically just doing a bunch of CG movies and game assets and giving the intern a week to make something playable. Both FF13 and FF14 famously had disastrous game systems at launch, with one requiring two sequels to clean up and the other quite famously having to be cratered and rebuilt from the ground up. Even Theatrhythm indicates this pattern, as the first entry has an absolutely terrible game system outside tap-in-beat-to-FF-songs part that discouraged purchasing DLC due to it being irrelevant to the only game mode that mattered if you played the RPG part or wanted to unlock your favorite character.

In all these examples, usually the battles turned out OK but flawed, but everything surrounding it and supporting it is just broken in a multitude of ways.

Just as a long time fan, I'm getting exhausted with this pattern and overall it seems to be eroding a lot of the value of Square Enix's IPs, especially Final Fantasy, and I hope that they realize sooner rather than later that they should plan their games' systems out early on in development and use it to inform graphical asset creation, and hopefully release something not fundamentally broken in the FIRST release in its first impression. It's costing SE a lot of money and goodwill, and I really hope they figure this out soon and start cultivating or hiring talented game system designers and involve them earlier in the process of making their games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think anyone is going to read that dude.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

See? I had to go through a disastrous and costly reboot of the point I'm making in order to make it clear. This is what being a Final Fantasy fan does to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Just as a long time fan, I'm getting exhausted with this pattern and overall it seems to be eroding a lot of the value of Square Enix's IPs, especially Final Fantasy, and I hope that they realize sooner rather than later that they should plan their games' systems out early on in development and use it to inform graphical asset creation, and hopefully release something not fundamentally broken in the FIRST release in its first impression.

I'm not sure how you can think that this is anything new. Since the SNES era Final Fantasy has been about presentation over gameplay. FFV is probably the only real exception and they were worried about releasing that overseas because of that.

I mean Final Fantasy 6 and 7 both launched with basic gameplay mechanics not working. Like straight-up not working. Both had game-crashing glitches, worthless items, core game elements not working correctly, bad gameplay decisions, piss-poor balance, and tons of other awkward mechanical decisions. They were both carried by high-quality presentation that made up for their bad mechanics. FFVIII is a game that has mechanics that are at best described as a confusing mess where the primary appeal is just how badly you can shatter the game. The most popular Final Fantasy games were the ones that were the most mechanically broken.

I mean I like FF6. It's probably my favorite FF game. Holy poo poo is it a mess if you analyze it for any length of time. It does some remarkably cool things but it also has some utterly bizarre loving decisions. I mean Gau alone is like ten pounds of bad design in a five pound bag.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 23, 2015

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Yeah! Probably!

So how do you do this without changing the mechanics of FFXIII (like adding the wound mechanic in XIII-2) or literally timing the fights with Doom? I don't think you can, because the system is fatally flawed. It's clear that at some point they realized this was a problem or they wouldn't have added the 20m doom timer in the first place.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

cloud in a dress is the cutest female lead.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

poo poo not working period in the game mechanics is a time honored FF tradition back to the very first game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Francis posted:

Yeah! Probably!

So how do you do this without changing the mechanics of FFXIII (like adding the wound mechanic in XIII-2) or literally timing the fights with Doom? I don't think you can, because the system is fatally flawed. It's clear that at some point they realized this was a problem or they wouldn't have added the 20m doom timer in the first place.

Bumping up midgame enemy stats could probably do it, some balance issues doesn't mean the entire game's system is 'fatally flawed'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francis posted:

You do know the 20 minute timer is only a specific boss's gimmick, not something present in every fight, right?

Different enemies, especially marks, have various methods to punish you for turtling. They power themselves up or change their attack patterns or have an attack pattern designed to outpacing turtling/healing unless they get staggered or heal themselves if given enough time forcing you to go aggressive so they don't heal. There are other factors they could use that I don't think are in FFXIII but are present in other games like Etrian Odyssey such as "go berserker if they detect too many buffs."

Also the argument of "players might do something boring, ergo this is a flawed game mechanic" strikes me as pretty silly. You can play Devil May Cry by equipping Ebony and Ivory and standing back to slowly plink bosses to death with low-damage shots but at no point would anyone actually listen to the argument that it means DMC is "fatally flawed" because you can do that since the game absolutely encourages other things even if you can win that way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 23, 2015