Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

How the gently caress do you guys deal with e100/e75 in a basic medium? I can't seem to do poo poo to them in my t-54 unless I'm literally staring at a 90 degree angle into their rear end in a top hat. Is that pretty much standard poo poo or am I just bad

Everytime I see one I'm just like "k ill never pen him, even if I'm flanking for a buddy he'll just rightfully ignore me, I'm going somewhere else"

Do you have the top gun?

E-100s have complicated side armor, but basically there is the turret, a strip of thick spaced armor, a strip of spaced armor and track, and a bottom strip of regular armor and track. The turret is the best to shoot, or the bottom strip with AP/APCR.

If you're bouncing off the rear end I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

M.C. McMic posted:

How's the Lorraine 40 t? I'm kinda focusing on moving up the American and French med lines.

Not as bad as it's reputation. The lack of camo and armour coupled with it's huge size will gently caress you over but it's very very fast which will let you do some pretty cool stuff here and there.

The most important thing to know about it is that you should generally not be trying to fire off all of your clip while anyone is paying attention to you. Peaking out to fire one or two shots before retreating to safety again is key. Even when you go one on one with slow reloading tanks they can often get two into you before you're empty, which might seem like a good trade sometimes but keeping as much HP as you can until the end phase of a match is vital because you never ever bounce. This often allows you to sweep up low HP tanks with minimal risk and your speed lets you easily do things like return to decap, switch flanks or bail out your braindead allies.

I think it's my highest average XP in any tank at tier 9.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Uranium 235 posted:

Seems decent to me. Plus there are a few missions to do. I've been waiting on an equipment sale. Got 7 mil to blow.

2x XP all day Monday for 2 penetrating shots is actually pretty damned nice.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

WayAbvPar posted:

2x XP all day Monday for 2 penetrating shots is actually pretty damned nice.

Missed that because of phone posting. I'll take that. Still am strapped for credits pretty bad though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Armored Warfare early access May 27 - June 3.. rain down your love upon us Obsidian.

Oh Christ SS has created a thread in the Obsidian forums:

German Military - Fact and Fiction

oh wait, there is also:

German armor history

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 22, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

How the gently caress do you guys deal with e100/e75 in a basic medium? I can't seem to do poo poo to them in my t-54 unless I'm literally staring at a 90 degree angle into their rear end in a top hat. Is that pretty much standard poo poo or am I just bad

Everytime I see one I'm just like "k ill never pen him, even if I'm flanking for a buddy he'll just rightfully ignore me, I'm going somewhere else"
They're pretty easy to deal with in T-54s imo. You can easily pen the front of an E100 turret with HEAT if he is looking in your direction. Just don't hit the gun mantlet. You can also really easily pen the lower glacis.

If you're at the side, shoot HEAT through the side of the turret. Basically, any part of the turret that is flat toward you is easy to pen.

Don't shoot the spaced armor/tracks with HEAT unless the E100 really needs to die immediately and you aren't going to get a better shot in the next 6 seconds. Just be prepared to bounce.

If the turret is sloped away from you, it might be hard to pen even with HEAT.

The E75 is even easier to deal with. Your AP will go through everywhere except the upper glacis and the front of the turret, unless you're shooting a heavily sloped surface.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 22, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Uranium 235 posted:

They're pretty easy to deal with in T-54s imo. You can easily pen the front of an E100 turret with HEAT if he is looking in your direction. Just don't hit the gun mantlet. You can also really easily pen the lower glacis.

If you're at the side, shoot HEAT through the side of the turret. Basically, any part of the turret that is flat toward you is easy to pen.

Don't shoot the spaced armor/tracks with HEAT unless the E100 really needs to die immediately and you aren't going to get a better shot in the next 6 seconds. Just be prepared to bounce.

If the turret is sloped away from you, it might be hard to pen even with HEAT.

The E75 is even easier to deal with. Your AP will go through everywhere except the upper glacis and the front of the turret, unless you're shooting a heavily sloped surface.

I don't play my T-54 a ton anymore but I remember having loads of trouble with the lower glacis with AP. Though tbf I shot a lot of HEAT out of my T-54 with the accurate gun.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

M.C. McMic posted:

How's the Lorraine 40 t? I'm kinda focusing on moving up the American and French med lines.

Doesn't mean much because he's a really good player, but Blue_Stealth has been killing it in the Lorraine on his stream today. He makes it look easy, and I'd definitely look at the archived broadcast for today for tips on how to play it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Magres posted:

I don't play my T-54 a ton anymore but I remember having loads of trouble with the lower glacis with AP. Though tbf I shot a lot of HEAT out of my T-54 with the accurate gun.
Against the E100 or the E75? I thought I remembered not having much trouble against the E75's lower glacis with AP... but I could be wrong. I'll have to try it out again.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 22, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Uranium 235 posted:

Against the E100 or the E75? I thought I remembered not having much trouble against the E75's lower glacis with AP... but I could be wrong. I'll have to try it out again.

E75, but I'm also a bad :shrug:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Magres posted:

E75, but I'm also a bad :shrug:

The E-75 has a tougher lower plate than the E-100. You should still shoot gold at both, they're thick.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I basically view the lorraine as a better 50 100 that is a tier higher. If you follow the general rule of not trading shots with another player unless it is mandatory and instead taking shots on people that won't return fire you can do pretty well. Trying to stay a live and at maximum hit points until mid/late game is pretty mandatory where HP will matter far more than armor.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I was making fun of a guy in my Jtig88 that had a 42% winrate and some guy starting mouthing off that I'm a below average player because my wn8 is low. Because I just recently started playing tiers 7/8 and damage totally doesn't carry the most weight with wn8 at all.

I pointed out that I'm at 51% winrate and server average is 48% so he started taunting me that I didn't have a kill just as I exploded somebody :v:

Match ends and I have > 2k damage and he has barely any since he was in a light tank and has piss poor spotting damage. I'll post a replay when I'm back at my pc later but holy poo poo do people care too much about wn8.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Their dick hat is all they have.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Haquer posted:

I was making fun of a guy in my Jtig88 that had a 42% winrate and some guy starting mouthing off that I'm a below average player because my wn8 is low. Because I just recently started playing tiers 7/8 and damage totally doesn't carry the most weight with wn8 at all.

Match ends and I have > 2k damage and he has barely any since he was in a light tank and has piss poor spotting damage. I'll post a replay when I'm back at my pc later but holy poo poo do people care too much about wn8.

"I was making fun of a guy for having lovely stats. When a person on the team pointed out this was kinda dumb since I also had lovely stats, I declared that people care too much about stats."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rakthar posted:

"I was making fun of a guy for having lovely stats. When a person on the team pointed out this was kinda dumb since I also had lovely stats, I declared that people care too much about stats."

Someone with a 42% winrate actively contributes to their own teams' downfalls a significant portion if the time and in a reasonable world they would either be banned outright or at best be forced to be bottom tier in every game they play until their winrate across their previous two thousand games is above 50%. By having a winrate below what a literal idle would get, they have shown open malice towards their teammates.

Or just make them play with 29 14 bots.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Also

Haquer posted:

I pointed out that I'm at 51% winrate and server average is 48% so he started taunting me that I didn't have a kill just as I exploded somebody :v:

Shut up reroll stat padder. Winrate is all luck, it takes skill to sit in a corner while letting your teammates die without attempting to shoot enemies just so you have more opportunities to farm damage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Agrajag posted:

AMX 30 prototype is poo poo loads of fun and is better than the Leo PTA in every way.

The proto a is hot garbage, so that isn't a high bar

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Hellsau posted:

Also

Shut up reroll stat padder. Winrate is all luck, it takes skill to sit in a corner while letting your teammates die without attempting to shoot enemies just so you have more opportunities to farm damage.

I've only been called a reroll once, thankfully. Been called lovely due to low wn8/match counts wayyyyy more though :psyduck:

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Haquer posted:

I've only been called a reroll once, thankfully. Been called lovely due to low wn8/match counts wayyyyy more though :psyduck:

well yeah, people generally aren't going to call out a 700 wn8 as a reroll

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Haquer posted:

Click more red tanks.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

xthetenth posted:

Click more red tanks.

Every match I join that's usually the first thing I put in all chat and still somehow see 0 damage suiciders.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Click more red green tanks.

I always feel bad when I get that rare game where I end up the 0 damage shitter because of a really poor decision, unless that decision was to go 2fast2furious then no regrets.

Also completely not related to tanks but if anyone here was thinking about getting Witcher 3 and not playing tanks for awhile that is a good call.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 22, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
what order do you generally take your medium driver skills in?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

BadLlama posted:

I always feel bad when I get that rare game where I end up the 0 damage shitter because of a really poor decision, unless that decision was to go 2fast2furious then no regrets.

Also completely not related to tanks but if anyone here was thinking about getting Witcher 3 and not playing tanks for awhile that is a good call.

Are either of the first 2 worth it, because playing a 3rd in series with out playing the 1 or 2 is wrong to me :(

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Are either of the first 2 worth it, because playing a 3rd in series with out playing the 1 or 2 is wrong to me :(

I enjoyed 2 but it felt short. 1 is played more like FF12/Xenoblade so I just watched an LP of it

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The lorraine is one of my best performing t9 mediums but I did sell it. It is very punishing of mistakes not because it's a bad tank but because it's very min-maxed. It's also miserable for new players who can't deal with its downsides.

Note that I am talking about it post buff, before the buff it had no gun depression and I would not have enjoyed it.

e:

Azhais posted:

The proto a is hot garbage, so that isn't a high bar

Don't say the "proto" is bad when you're talking about the amx 30 proto and the leopard proto A. I was about to get real mad.

The AMX 30 proto is halfway between the Type 61 and the PTA in a lot of ways (better accuracy and handling than the 61, better DPM than the PTA, better camo and mobility than the 61, better depression than the PTA, shorter cupola tumor than the 61, better ammo rack than the PTA) and it really, really works. You give up a lot of the largely theoretical strengths from the min-maxing that the PTA and 61 have, which are very difficult to realize in game, but you gain a much more consistent tank that still plays similar to them while being better the majority of the time.

The PTA is a better sniper and the 61 can brawl better, but the AMX 30 can do both of those without being quite as limited by its fragility and low DPM (PTA) or its miserable gun handling and unreliable accuracy (Type 61).

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 23, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

Depends on the tank. Repair is always first, with commander retrained to Sixth Sense at 1.5 skills, then either all camo for tanks with good base camo and good mobility, OR repair/snapshot/smooth ride/awareness/camo. Then whatever else if I don't retrain the whole crew for BiA when skill 2 is done.

There's a great skills writeup by Prav floating around if you want the theory behind the choices. Someone else has to link the Pastebin since I'm phoneposting atm.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I have absolutely no idea what to do when every one of my (aimed) shots flies super low and pubs just snapshot me straight through my turret face on every shot :(

E: Now I'm just getting 4k damage losses :smith:

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 23, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Magres posted:

I have absolutely no idea what to do when every one of my (aimed) shots flies super low and pubs just snapshot me straight through my turret face on every shot :(

E: Now I'm just getting 4k damage losses :smith:

Today, thou shalt eat a bowl of dicks.

-RNG

Some days the RNG just shits on you, and some days your shots just automagicly go exactly where you want them despite snapshotting at full speed.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Azhais posted:

Myself? Camo (retrained to sixth sense ASAP, retrained to safe stowage when on sale) first, then depending on how I'm feeling repairs or snap shot/smooth ride/situational awareness/recon. Retrain to BIA when the third skill is complete (as in starting on the 4th skill, which is rare but BIA is a small boost).

What I would recommend for a newer player who might not know how to take advantage of camo? Repairs, then camo, then BIA once the third skill is done.

On TDs you often want camo and repairs as much as mediums but you don't get as much benefit from the other skills so BIA can come when the 2nd skill is done. The choice of camo/repairs first varies a lot from TD to TD. Heavies get repairs first and don't care about camo.

High tier lights are the same as mediums except you could make a case for BIA before repairs. Low tier lights (as in the ones with scout matchmaking) can make a strong case for not ever bothering with repairs.

There are some special cases with weird crews, like my Batchat that has five skills but only one guy has repairs. I made a questionable choice to take Designated Target though.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Desuwa posted:

I was about to get real mad.

WORLDS WILL FALL!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

"(Storm later adds that there will be new premiums but it's really hard to predict how will players react to them)"

Every premium tank's quality has been called well in advance of it hitting the live servers for years by players. Maybe the KV-5 would be the only one where it did a complete 180 but that was before my time.

There's some disagreement over the T-54 proto but it sounds like it's "good when not bottom tier" which is at least something. Meanwhile everyone loving called the STA-2 being a steaming pile of poo poo the moment we saw the stats, and the Panther 8.8 faded into obscurity because it's neither poo poo nor good, it's just a different version of an unremarkable tech tree tank. Everyone (good) knew the CDC was going to be great and it was. The developers don't play or understand their own game.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The big thing about the KV-5 is that it was released before gold rounds for silver were a thing and shooting gold really, really makes the tank. 167 pen at tier 8 is appallingly bad. It's not that the tank changed or that the people calling it bad were wrong, it's that some pretty big things changed about the game that really benefited the tank.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Desuwa posted:

"(Storm later adds that there will be new premiums but it's really hard to predict how will players react to them)"

Every premium tank's quality has been called well in advance of it hitting the live servers for years by players. Maybe the KV-5 would be the only one where it did a complete 180 but that was before my time.

I think except for a few cases, the developers know pretty well how tanks will go over. The Type 59 has been the only tank that really seemed to surprise them though. The early days of that tank were a loving glorious nightmare where you had a bunch of poor bastards frantically pinging shells off the turret and upper hull.
The KV-5 was a goddamn joke early on, it didn't have anything redeeming going for it, but it got some pretty helpful buffs after they were used as giant xp pinata for a few months. Hard to kill pinata at least.
The SU-76i got pulled pretty fast, I don't think anyone was interested in that tank when it first showed up. But that has a lot to do with no one on test playing anything other then tier 10s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The SU-76i got pulled because the gun made it a beast at lower tiers - it was effectively a Pak 40 with better mobility but way shittier sighting range. They'll eventually reintroduce it as a super-expensive never-to-be-offered again package bundle, probably.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 23, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So yeah I was doing strongholds in my CDC (I bought it when it was on sale but have been too greedy to retrain a loader without gold retraining being 50% off) and it is bananas. 1500 damage is 100k credits easy, 3k damage is 150k. 600 damage is 70k. Also the tank goes 50kmph and doesn't give a poo poo if it's going uphill or driving over an enemy allied tank, also snapshot literally everything because Wargaming in their infinite wisdom decided that snapshotting at 400 meters full bloom is good, but hitting fully aimed shots is bad.

Also the IS-8 seems pretty great in the snapshot meta.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The SU-76i got pulled because the gun made it a beast at lower tiers. They'll eventually reintroduce it as a super-expensive never-to-be-offered again package bundle, probably.

The SU-76i got pulled because it has preferential matchmaking as a low tier. That's the actual reason. The T-127 wouldn't be for sale if it didn't have years of poo poo players loving the stats - anything with preferential matchmaking needs a severe handicap for it to not be blatantly overpowered. Just try playing tier 3s on NA server - you'll see fleets of CIA shitlords with 45% winrates over tens of thousands of games, and like 5000 T-127 battles with a 70% winrate.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I forgot to mention it got pref-MM. Honestly, being the owner of a PzB2, I'm happy for any credible threat to it being limited.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Oh right I forgot - Camador and Donkey, please tell your callers to get their poo poo together:

You're losing to people who can't even get their idiots to press the loving ready button and also our "caller" sometimes just start swearing in French. :cmon:

e: and also steel if you're still doing this thing and any other -G-oons I may have missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pretty sure -G- has been in a death spiral of apathy for a few months now, Hellsau - they haven't even bothered to fill the vacancies they've had for months. BULBA and OTTER are the new -G-.