Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sansa is actually an appropriating shitlord so her rape was 103% OK

(At this point I don't know what is and what is not a joke on Tumblr)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

I really don't think a country best known for weed, bobsledding and lovely steel drum music gives a poo poo if we poke fun at their stupid accents.
I'd love to see you test this theory out in person (from a safe distance), because not all Jamaicans are as cuddly as that Ursain Bolt fella.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

emilia clarke rules so hard lmbo

anybody who says that emilia clarke rules is literally a retarded piece of poo poo garbage rear end in a top hat imbecile

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Sansa is actually an appropriating shitlord so her rape was 103% OK

(At this point I don't know what is and what is not a joke on Tumblr)

Well, I don't think that post was trying to say her rape was ok...

But good lordy lord. A fantasy character adapting to moving to a different region in the same country that she was born in... drives our acceptance of cultural appropriation. :what:

On that note... I've never understood the surging anti-cultural appropriation movement. I understand not wanting people to appropriate things in an extremely offensive manner, but I hardly see absorbing each other's cultural traits or traditions to be inherently bad.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 22, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm more worried about Jorah at this point now

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm more worried about Jorah at this point now

That just unironically cheered me up after a rough day.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Bobo the Red posted:

Because it's a bunch of white people appropriating a musical style of a disadvantaged group

White folk can't sing the Blues then, right?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

cjg posted:

What do white people have to be sad about?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

an skeleton posted:

On that note... I've never understood the surging anti-cultural appropriation movement. I understand not wanting people to appropriate things in an extremely offensive manner, but I hardly see absorbing each other's cultural traits or traditions to be inherently bad.
Anti-cultural appropriation almost seems like neo-segregationism to me. "Cultures should stay apart from one another."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

tooterfish posted:

I'd love to see you test this theory out in person (from a safe distance), because not all Jamaicans are as cuddly as that Ursain Bolt fella.

Oh I know. There's a reason Jamaican resorts are surrounded by barb wire fences.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
That song by Jon Snow... It was both the least creative and best of the songs. And they had Ygritte do the line!

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

an skeleton posted:

Cultural appropriation can be handled correctly and respectfully, but in reality, it is often done thoughtlessly. Which is almost certainly what this was.

cjg posted:

I mean, if you ignore the part where I talked about the mocking accent, that's definitely what I said, I guess.

Mr Beens posted:

Do a google search for White Reggae and have you mind blown.

Please god no

OB_Juan posted:

That song by Jon Snow... It was both the least creative and best of the songs. And they had Ygritte do the line!

It's sad that the least fun part of the whole thing was the Dinklage part

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobo the Red posted:

Because it's a bunch of white people appropriating a musical style of a disadvantaged group and throwing in an embellished fake accent for comedic effect.

It's basically racist like Apu is racist. I still enjoyed it, even that part, it's just a bit iffy

oh my god are you serious

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Please god no
Yeah you're right, The Specials suck! :rolleyes:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

tooterfish posted:

Yeah you're right, The Specials suck! :rolleyes:

:confused: I have no idea who the Specials are, and I have no issue with anyone wanting to play reggae; I have an issue with people playing up the accent of a largely poor, black nation for comedic effect while doing so.

I said "please god no" because I thought they were pointing me to more examples of that

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Bobo the Red posted:

Cultural appropriation can be handled correctly and respectfully, but in reality, it is often done thoughtlessly. Which is almost certainly what this was.

uh, which what was? The sansa wearing southerner's clothing (completely makes sense) or the Rastafarian Targaryen thing (which is supposed to be ridiculous and a joke)?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Bobo the Red posted:

:confused: I have no idea who the Specials are, and I have no issue with anyone wanting to play reggae; I have an issue with people playing up the accent of a largely poor, black nation for comedic effect while doing so.
"Are you the dumbest oval office alive?"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Plavski posted:

Stannis at the gates, they got themselves a Stark. If things turn badly, they can use her to secure safe passage, or they can just kill her outright - we know the Boltons are psychopaths; what's to stop them?

Does Stannis strike you as a man to negotiate with hostage-takers?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

The marriage won't be annulled, she'll just be a widow.

It will be anulled, because Ramsay Snow was legitimized by the Pretender Tommen, noted bastard born of incest and No True King once Stannis rolls in.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

I have an issue with people playing up the accent of a largely poor, black nation for comedic effect while doing so

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Arglebargle III posted:

Does Stannis strike you as a man to negotiate with hostage-takers?

I just realized Ramsay's probably gonna burn real good unless someone gets to him first.

Arglebargle III posted:

It will be anulled, because Ramsay Snow was legitimized by the Pretender Tommen, noted bastard born of incest and No True King once Stannis rolls in.

Bastards can still get married though, and annulling might be actively worse than simply having her be a widow. Margaery has proved that being a widow doesn't really get in one's way at all.

Stannis could also probably start declaring all marriages (including his own) as invalid because they were done in the name of false gods. That'd be a hilarious mess.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 23, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love the shot of the room when only 2 cast members are there and Ramsey is just so happy to be there.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This thread is all over the drat place

Who is ready for Winterbowl this week? Hopefully it's not entirely on Jon talking to people and them not agreeing with him.

With any luck the opening shot of next episode will be the sand snakes heads on pikes

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

The Duggler posted:

This thread is all over the drat place

Who is ready for Winterbowl this week? Hopefully it's not entirely on Jon talking to people and them not agreeing with him.

With any luck the opening shot of next episode will be the sand snakes heads on pikes

The prince is too chill a dude to kill his nieces like that. Which is too bad, since the lovely dagger one killed Bronn :(

Jon Snow is going north to spread the good word about eating ladies out, that's how he'll get them to follow him south

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
pisses me off how loving handsome ramsey's actor is

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Just about everyone on this show is orders of magnitude better looking then I am and Im still one of the better looking dudes in my social circle.

I think I might be better looking than Sam, and that's about it. Even The Hound would have probably cleaned up nicely after some shampoo and conditioner.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

IMB posted:

I'd do him

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Bobo the Red posted:

I said "please god no" because I thought they were pointing me to more examples of that

Look, man, my family comes from the Caribbean and I get what you mean but sometimes a joke is just a joke, especially one as light as that one was. Basically,

IMB posted:

:agreed:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

IMB posted:

No, it's actually perfect. I'm told the character in the book is supposed to be a huge, hideous ogre. Casting him as super handsome is way better. It's disarming to have a conventionally handsome guy actually be psychopathically insane and utterly rotten inside...like a medieval Patrick Bateman.

Iwan Rheon could, by many accounts, play an absolute Prince Charming. Your Hollywood programming is to assume someone who looks that way is a good guy. It's what makes his "evil Jon Snow" thing work.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

White people doing reggae is usually hilariously awful, but the butt of the joke is always the white person, not the nation of Jamaica or whatever. This was no different.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Yeah. When we were laughing at white guys with baggy pants and bandanas in the 1990s we werent laughing at black culture

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Bobo you are a loving tumblr parody at this point. The sooner you realize that no one will ever take you seriously and gently caress off, the better.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Has tumblr gotten pissed off yet about how all of the black characters in this show are either pirates or slave traders?

Or that there are no transgender characters?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Obligatory Handle posted:

Or that there are no transgender characters?

Theon?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Varys has a gash, right

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

He doesn't identify as female though. Come on, OBVIOUS CIS MALE SCUM SPOTTED. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's the holiday weekend, so I thought we wouldn't get an new episode Sunday night. According to my DirecTV guide, looks like we're on!

Awesome!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Jesus, why dont you guys just go talk to tumblr if you love it so much

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Obligatory Handle posted:

He doesn't identify as female though. Come on, OBVIOUS CIS MALE SCUM SPOTTED. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Reek is genderfluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Jesus, why dont you guys just go talk to tumblr if you love it so much
What is this person saying and what does it mean to GoT? Sorry, I don't "get it."

O wait this is a "joke" or something. Sorry.

• Locked thread