Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Right Light Rise has been stuck in my head for the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Or maybe the author is a retarded chinaman who didn't do research and just picked the names out

Because "Syr" is a super common name.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Kinda feeling bad for this minotaur. :black101:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Well that episode was awesome. :suspense:

Pretty enjoyable fight there, nice to see him hold his own. I hope he keeps using that sword.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If only every episode could be that badass...

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Well, someone certainly enjoyed watching that fight.

Also seeing Lili next to a tall character was kinda hilarious.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Pretty enjoyable fight there, nice to see him hold his own. I hope he keeps using that sword.

drat this episode reminded me of Chaika in just how well directed the fight was. That sword was hefty as all hell and the part where Bell fire blasted the Minrotaur was :black101: as all hell. I noticed that after the second fireball the minotaur's hand blew off, a nice touch.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This fight is why I decided I liked Danmachi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Syr being Freya makes a lot of sense even aside from the name. She specifically made sure that Bell read that grimoire. Freya just dropping it off in a place where Bell might pick it up would have been a pretty lovely plan.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I've got money down on Syr being a 'part' of Freya but gained of enough sentience to rebel once we reach endgame.

Like Tenchi in Tokyo only in a better show.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Syr being Freya makes a lot of sense even aside from the name. She specifically made sure that Bell read that grimoire. Freya just dropping it off in a place where Bell might pick it up would have been a pretty lovely plan.
I mean, it seems like basically every other adventurer would have known it's an insanely expensive grimoire so it's unlikely Syr would have just "found" it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

He broke it at the end.

gently caress, double post.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
Heyo, that fight was real good.

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
Freya's eyes flash on screen during syr's introduction. My guess is that she's being unwittingly controlled by Freya so we can get a tear jerker "I love him but a god has been manipulating me this whole time" moment. Her being actually Freya is a close 2nd though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2EaRpoDbwaw

http://i.imgur.com/0WJ3gS9.jpg

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
FIREBOLTA

:drat:

FIREBOLTAAAAAA

:holymoley: :hellyeah:

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Quad Cape posted:

Freya's eyes flash on screen during syr's introduction. My guess is that she's being unwittingly controlled by Freya so we can get a tear jerker "I love him but a god has been manipulating me this whole time" moment. Her being actually Freya is a close 2nd though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2EaRpoDbwaw

http://i.imgur.com/0WJ3gS9.jpg

It could also be that Syr was split off from Freya at some point making Syr her own separate personality and individual, that is still being subtly controlled by Freya.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's like a hundo h-doujin of this show already and we are not even at summer comiket yet. Summer of George....

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

How do ranks work again? Do they reset when you level up?

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

doomisland posted:

How do ranks work again? Do they reset when you level up?

Yes they do, but you retain the amount of said stat. So if you have like 900 str at S rank, it will reset to the lowest rank but stay at 900.

Also you get a bit of a boost each level so even though your stats stay the same when you level up, they are more effective.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

This fight is why I decided I liked Danmachi.

Does that imply that we get more :black101: down the road?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yeah, vol 5 is even better. At least as a book. Should be eps 10-13 or so. Vol 6 is probably on par with vol 3 (the Minotaur fight) as well, although it won't be animated this time.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think the show (and the books) have made it fairly clear that grinding isn't the way to rank up. You need to perform some spectacular task -- which is what Aiz did when she solo'd that Bone Lord on level 37 to make level 6. This episode was an obvious setup for Bell ranking up to level 2. He performed is spectacular task by defeating the trained and armed Minotaur. I expect to see him being praised for making level 2 so quickly in the next episode, etc.

Freya's has ownership in Bell -- whether he knows it or not. He's unknowingly partaken of Freya's help for a number of things now. First, she set him up to fight that ape-monster at the festival. Second, she gave him a very pricey book to learn his "firebolta" spell. Now, he's ranked up because of a series of events that lead to his defeating a powerful mob in the dungeon. At some point in the future, Freya is going to come to collect on his "debt". I don't think it will matter that neither he nor Hestia knew that Freya was helping. He owes her regardless.

Also, seems like Freya has actually done more for Bell than Hestia except for the knife. In the books, they make it clear that Freya is only interested in Bell because she likes to collect pretty and sparkly things. They keep her interest until she finally acquires them. Then, she'll play with them for a while and then add the sparkly to her collection and slowly forget about it. I don't know what that means, exactly, but it doesn't sound pleasant in the long run.

I just wonder how much actual control over where Bell ends up that Bell will actually have. Can one god take another god's familia member against that god's will? Will the things Freya has been doing somehow affect Bell's will in some way beyond his control? I can't imagine Freya's doing all these things on the slim hope that Bell will simply dump Hestia for Freya. There must be some kind of control she's embedded in her acts that are going to eventually ensnare Bell beyond his will. How hard it to change familias?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dan7el posted:

I think the show (and the books) have made it fairly clear that grinding isn't the way to rank up. You need to perform some spectacular task -- which is what Aiz did when she solo'd that Bone Lord on level 37 to make level 6. This episode was an obvious setup for Bell ranking up to level 2. He performed is spectacular task by defeating the trained and armed Minotaur. I expect to see him being praised for making level 2 so quickly in the next episode, etc.

Freya's has ownership in Bell -- whether he knows it or not. He's unknowingly partaken of Freya's help for a number of things now. First, she set him up to fight that ape-monster at the festival. Second, she gave him a very pricey book to learn his "firebolta" spell. Now, he's ranked up because of a series of events that lead to his defeating a powerful mob in the dungeon. At some point in the future, Freya is going to come to collect on his "debt". I don't think it will matter that neither he nor Hestia knew that Freya was helping. He owes her regardless.

Also, seems like Freya has actually done more for Bell than Hestia except for the knife. In the books, they make it clear that Freya is only interested in Bell because she likes to collect pretty and sparkly things. They keep her interest until she finally acquires them. Then, she'll play with them for a while and then add the sparkly to her collection and slowly forget about it. I don't know what that means, exactly, but it doesn't sound pleasant in the long run.

I just wonder how much actual control over where Bell ends up that Bell will actually have. Can one god take another god's familia member against that god's will? Will the things Freya has been doing somehow affect Bell's will in some way beyond his control? I can't imagine Freya's doing all these things on the slim hope that Bell will simply dump Hestia for Freya. There must be some kind of control she's embedded in her acts that are going to eventually ensnare Bell beyond his will. How hard it to change familias?

I'd take a wild guess inter-familia conflicts are dealt with through challenges or fights, or maybe even dumb tournaments or something cause how else are you going to shovel one of those arcs into this show?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Volumes 6-7 cover that, but they won't be animated with this season (if ever). Basically you can't change Familia without the permission of the original god, but there are various ways to get that permission.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There's like a hundo h-doujin of this show already and we are not even at summer comiket yet. Summer of George....

Do any of them have that giantess barmaid?

Asking for a friend.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Myurton posted:

Yes they do, but you retain the amount of said stat. So if you have like 900 str at S rank, it will reset to the lowest rank but stay at 900.

Also you get a bit of a boost each level so even though your stats stay the same when you level up, they are more effective.
So basically what I'm hearing is he's minmaxing like a Morrowind character.

Gotta get maximum attribute bonuses every level up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Twiddy posted:

In that case, by the end, he should be able to jump to the top of the tower from the outside.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Dan7el posted:

You can rank your stats up by grinding cause each stat has a Z to S rank or something like that, but to gain an actual level up you need to do something significant like say soloing a powerful monster.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Plus wasn't that a patched together Minotaur that nearly nix'ed him at the start?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Twiddy posted:

~
SetHealth 99999
SetMajicka 99999
SetReputation 99999
AddItem "Gold001" 99999
SetFlying [1]

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Myurton posted:

You can rank your stats up by grinding cause each stat has a Z to S rank or something like that, but to gain an actual level up you need to do something significant like say soloing a powerful monster.
Right. Obviously, you need to grind the base stats. What you're saying is exactly what I meant. No one is going to ding finishing off a piss-ant. They need to do something spectacular. Seems to me that fact would be fairly well known. I think the half-elf (can't recall her name) that manages Bell's hero account said that lots of adventurers spend months grinding without leveling up. You'd assume that this info would be base knowledge. Hence, they'd be looking for that spectacular thing.

Heck, I could see a whole business being formed from something like that -- just like what Freya's minion did with the Minotaur and Bell. "We'll setup your spectacular level-up adventure for a price." A group goes in, levels up a cow, the adventurer goes in and solo-kills the cow and ding! All for 500,000 whatevers.

I remember a guy in Asheron's Call agro'ing a cow and laying down. The cow killed him and leveled. Some poor, unsuspecting player would pick on that cow and ... well, it probably wasn't pretty.

Another thing: Aiz Wallenstein seems to be fairly young herself. She can't be past her early twenties at the most. We really need a bit more background on her because she doesn't make a lot of sense either. She's so young and yet the highest level adventurer. Either other's aren't serious or she's been adventuring since she was like 8 or something. Seems odd. She obviously knows what needs to be done to level up too, though.

Aiz said she was trying to "catch up" to someone like Bell. If she's the highest level adventurer, then I wonder what that even could mean.

I think it would be cool if Lilly was able gain XP while partying with Bell. You'd think the supporter would need some skill -- even if it is for evading. I think the show or book indicated that even the supporters in Loki's familia were level 3 or higher for the high-end adventures.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Lily has a ton of experience, she just can't update her stats because she broke ties with her familia.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dan7el posted:

Another thing: Aiz Wallenstein seems to be fairly young herself. She can't be past her early twenties at the most. We really need a bit more background on her because she doesn't make a lot of sense either. She's so young and yet the highest level adventurer. Either other's aren't serious or she's been adventuring since she was like 8 or something. Seems odd. She obviously knows what needs to be done to level up too, though.
I think Aiz is 16 or 17, and Bell's supposed to be 14 or 15.

~anime ages~

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Dan7el posted:

Aiz said she was trying to "catch up" to someone like Bell. If she's the highest level adventurer, then I wonder what that even could mean.

Aiz is like 16 or 17, her age is stated in the light novels, and yes she started adventuring when she was like 8 or 9, which is also stated.

As for who she is trying to "catch up to" I'd bet it's her dad, since her dad who was an adventurer is the one that she admired. This is all in the Sword Orario spin off series and the light novels.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I think Aiz is 16 or 17, and Bell's supposed to be 14 or 15.

~anime ages~

Bell is 14, Aiz is 16.

Their ages are clearly not of importance to the deities that inhabit RPG World. Probably because they're deities.

Dan7el posted:

She's gonna love what she can't have even more.

As for poaching members from familia or leaving, it seems like its something hard to do, since Bell probably would have found a way to get Lili out of the literal Drug Cartel familia if he could have done it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 23, 2015

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
That fight was Dragon Ball Z as all hell, down to the shirt damage.

Somehow satisfying to both watch that kid get his rear end kicked *and* watch him kick rear end, although he really shouldn't have that arm anymore. Like, basic physics, it should've gotten torn off when the minotaur held him up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AmiYumi posted:

That fight was Dragon Ball Z as all hell, down to the shirt damage.

Somehow satisfying to both watch that kid get his rear end kicked *and* watch him kick rear end, although he really shouldn't have that arm anymore. Like, basic physics, it should've gotten torn off when the minotaur held him up.

He grinded his Endurance up a bit before, it's fine.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

I'm at such a loss with this one that I can only laugh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You mean gas powered weapons? Why yes I would like to see a stake driver in DanMachi.

• Locked thread