Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Huh. I'm trying to import a save that I downloaded from the link in the OP. I dropped it in my savegames folder with the other W2 saves, but it keeps erroring out on me when I select it--import failed.

Anyone have any tips? And/or a cool Broche save with the tatt and everyone alive (Cynthia can be dead, because yeah).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So apparently that gear you get from quest and if you do it at low level it sucks? If you do it at high level all that stuff is godly and way better than anything you could ever craft. The stats of masterwork crafted Witcher gear is no where close to level 70 vendor trash.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

This entire war makes me feel like it is Radovid is essentially Stalin, down to the opportunistically absorbing small nations to fight Nilfgard, to having paranoid purges of mages, intellectuals etc. and just in general from the Witcher 2 he seemed relatively reasonable if as dickish, he seems to have gone insane then again he is literal the last northern King.

Also I didn't have any Witcher 2 saves (new computer) so Henselt seems to default to dead, Is he still alive in any imported saves or did Radovid in this case kill him between games?

If you think he was reasonable in the Witcher 2, you didn't see him torturing Philippa. There are several ways to miss that scene.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I hadn't noticed that Geralts face gets filled with black veins and stuff like that when your toxicity is high, I just love small details like that.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to buy other horses and how do upgrades, such as saddles and bags work? Do I simply buy them and they get added to the horse directly or what?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Orv posted:

That door is bugged.

?

You're not supposed to open it, you're supposed to knock it down with Aard. Worked fine for me.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Out of curiosity, is it possible to buy other horses and how do upgrades, such as saddles and bags work? Do I simply buy them and they get added to the horse directly or what?

Can't buy other horses and horse upgrades go in the inventory slots for them, at the very bottom of the inventory screen.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Roach is your only horse. You equip horse items in the inventory.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Roach is your only horse. You equip horse items in the inventory.

All horses are Roach. The one that comes when you whistle just happens to be Roach Prime.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Arglebargle III posted:

If you think he was reasonable in the Witcher 2, you didn't see him torturing Philippa. There are several ways to miss that scene.

Wait he does? drat I did miss that I only did one Roche playthrough to the end so must have missed it. I got to Loc Muine on a Iorveth playthrough, but I rage quit trying to get the last dark armor fighting gargoyles/operator.

I am happy merchants dont assfuck you nearly as much in the last witcher game they still hate you just slightly less (also money seems more plentiful in this game)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

?

You're not supposed to open it, you're supposed to knock it down with Aard. Worked fine for me.

The steel door at the bottom of the stairs shuts for whatever reason if you leave White Orchard or do a couple other progressive things. If it's not a bug it's a real poor design choice.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

?

There are 2 doors - the wooded one at the top of the stairs that you blow open with Aard, then a metal portcullis one at the bottom of the stairs that is usually open. Somethign causes it to close and there is no way to open it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Huh.

Orv posted:

shuts for whatever reason if you leave White Orchard

Well, I know it isn't that. I came back to finish that one and it was still open.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Huh.

Well, I know it isn't that. I came back to finish that one and it was still open.

I probably did some other completely unrelated thing before coming back to White Orchard that causes it. :shrug:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Comte:
The final score board of Gwent could use a button for starting a rematch immediately.
Just in case you're making a list.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 23, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

What's the usual way of finding diagrams for witcher sets? Is there a particular type of quest to look out for, or do you just stumble upon them in the wild when checking out points of interest? I've only come across the serpentine sword set as of yet (being level 9, loving around in Velen), which I think was the latter.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Armourers and blacksmiths sell maps that point you in the right direction.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Armourers and blacksmiths sell maps that point you in the right direction.

Ah, I completely missed that. Cheers!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Just did the lvl 17 giant quest on Skellige, at some point I encountered the crazy man on the stranded ship, he asked me to get nails and poo poo from the abandoned village and I told him I'd come back but now that the giant is dead he won't even talk to me. Was I supposed to leave my companions holding their dicks at the giant cave while running back? That'd be pretty dumb. I have 90 nails, are there more?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pellisworth posted:

Traveling from Velen: Peasant Misery Simulator into the huge, gorgeous, and heavily populated Novigrad is pretty :stare:

Now you know why peasants risked even death to move into cities in our Real World (tm) Middle Ages.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Are sorceresses and witches two different things in the witcher-world? A deserter called me a "witch-fucker" and I'm not sure if my Witcher feelings are supposed to be hurt.

Witches are to Sorceresses like Weekend Softball league is to MLB.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
You know, this game gets way too eager to automatically sheathe your sword sometimes.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
I kind of like it as a sign that I've momentarily escaped combat and can sneak in a save before I dive back in.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

i had a dream about botchlings last night.

this is a very very very good game. kind of bummed that there's no companion app, which is a weird sentence.

Skunny Wundy fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 23, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Elderbean posted:

Hah, I did the same thing.

I think one character gives you papers at some point, but you don't need them.

Me too. Hopped right off the bridge in front of him too.

To be fair it was only to make it harder for refugees to get across the river and anyone who isn't a tough as nails Witcher would have to deal with the current AND bloody Drowners.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

DKWildz posted:

I think they dropped the ball on oils (and to an extent food/potions). My problem isn't that they have a limited number of hits/uses before they expire, or that you have to apply them before combat, it's that I have to slog through the inventory menu to get to them and apply them, when it seems like they could have set a hotkey that brought up a menu on the fly to apply/switch or something.

I find that I set an oil in an area for what I 'assume' I will be fighting, and then never bother changing it or reapplying it, because breaking the gameplay to go into the inventory is becoming a drag. Plus no oil/potion animation!
God, yes. I thought I'd be using them way more, but as you said it's too much of a hassle for such a limited benefit. It wouldn't be quite as bad if they worked on an extended timer (say between ten minutes and half an hour) and applied to both weapons for Poisoned Blades, but even then the UI should make it far easier to access all of your tools quickly without any roadblocks.

Making a decision should be the player's focus, not digging around to implement it.

Also, it seems clunky that if I use up my bombs in a quick slot then meditate without having placed something else in that slot, the refilled bombs don't simply reappear in the same slot.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Any story and or loot reason to play gwent if you don't enjoy it?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

canada jezus posted:

Any story and or loot reason to play gwent if you don't enjoy it?

Yeah I've been avoiding it because I'm not a huge fan, but if there's a quest later on to beat some guy in exchange for a bitching sword or something I might start playing.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I've also apparently missed the start quest and overpowered starter cards for it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Another non Gwent player here. I've got very limited time to play games these days. I'd rather spend that time running around killing things and exploring than playing card games. Also I'm terrible and I don't want to learn.

Question about the town bulletin boards: Is every piece of paper associated with a quest or discovery on the map? I don't ever know what I should take.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

God, yes. I thought I'd be using them way more, but as you said it's too much of a hassle for such a limited benefit. It wouldn't be quite as bad if they worked on an extended timer (say between ten minutes and half an hour) and applied to both weapons for Poisoned Blades, but even then the UI should make it far easier to access all of your tools quickly without any roadblocks.

Making a decision should be the player's focus, not digging around to implement it.

Also, it seems clunky that if I use up my bombs in a quick slot then meditate without having placed something else in that slot, the refilled bombs don't simply reappear in the same slot.

Oils get upgraded formulas that you can scrounge ingredients early on, they're absolutely worth using without a alchemy focus. I had a superior beast oil by the time Geralt was level 6, increasing damage by 50% for 60 hits, it's a pretty good boost if you have say, a nekker warrior mutagen - that's another 20% attack power boost with three swordsmanship talents active.

I do wish there was a button that brought up your oils and Geralt would apply it to his active sword with an animation ala Souls games. It's one little thing I would totally expect from a witcher.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The fist fight stuff is where you get bitching swords.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm applying oils in combat, I think? I use them all the time, at any rate, and never seen anything telling me I can't apply an oil in combat.

Having to open the inventory to do it is a pain in the tits, though, I agree. The process of activating oils adds nothing to the game; given that you don't even have to recharge them the way you do potions, you might as well just do away with the whole thing and say that when you unlock an oil that bonus applies in perpetuity.

Delacroix posted:

Oils get upgraded formulas that you can scrounge ingredients early on, they're absolutely worth using without a alchemy focus. I had a superior beast oil by the time Geralt was level 6, increasing damage by 50% for 60 hits, it's a pretty good boost if you have say, a nekker warrior mutagen - that's another 20% attack power boost with three swordsmanship talents active.

I have the Superior Beast Oil formula, but where do you find Enhanced?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

me your dad posted:

Question about the town bulletin boards: Is every piece of paper associated with a quest or discovery on the map? I don't ever know what I should take.

Generally, only the larger notices with seals and whatnot have quests while the smaller ones just give the world some extra life and sometimes give undiscovered locations. There's no penalty for just swiping all the notices so go hog wild.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
I got a quest followup from a notice board posting without a seal. It was only added to my quest journal after I actually looted the page, reading it on the board wasn't enough. (Haunted House, for the record.) It did however make the notice board yellow and gave it a ! marker until I looted the note, so if it's a white 'used' board you can probably skip it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Sylphosaurus posted:

I hadn't noticed that Geralts face gets filled with black veins and stuff like that when your toxicity is high, I just love small details like that.

There are so many great little details in the animations. One I noticed today: if you use active quen while it's raining you can see the shield repelling the rain drops.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I'm applying oils in combat, I think? I use them all the time, at any rate, and never seen anything telling me I can't apply an oil in combat.

Having to open the inventory to do it is a pain in the tits, though, I agree. The process of activating oils adds nothing to the game; given that you don't even have to recharge them the way you do potions, you might as well just do away with the whole thing and say that when you unlock an oil that bonus applies in perpetuity.

I have the Superior Beast Oil formula, but where do you find Enhanced?

I'm not sure if you're referring to me with the first part but what I was saying is a button shortcut that brings up oils to use like the toolbar circle to skip the inventory completely would solve UI hassle.

As for finding the enhanced oil formula, I can't quite remember. It was definitely loot and not bought from a herbalist. I was exploring the outskirts of novigrad, I know I made it after killing the White Lady which took forever at level 6.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Psiharis posted:

I kind of like it as a sign that I've momentarily escaped combat and can sneak in a save before I dive back in.

I just wish that you could choose if you want to set it to auto or manual.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Delacroix posted:

I do wish there was a button that brought up your oils and Geralt would apply it to his active sword with an animation ala Souls games. It's one little thing I would totally expect from a witcher.

How did you get them so fast?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

TescoBag posted:

How did you get them so fast?

I was exploring places with enemies 8-10 levels above me and sacking everything I could find. Some treasures I had to pass up, there was no way I'm getting into a fight with two alghouls 9 levels above me on death march. I found endrega embryos from loot before I fought any endregas for example. That probably broke the 'you must be x level to fight y monsters and get z material' curve for several superior oils and potions.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It really just seems that most of the recipes are random drops from chests. Which meant that once I passed level 15 and didn't have a number of recipes for the regular version I would never get them to drop or from merchants because they were too low level on the drop table. I had plenty of enhanced and superior version drops though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It's a sign of a very good game when you get the realisation that it's going to end at some point and you get sad. I unlocked Skellige last night but there's still so much to do in Novigrad and Velen that I'm probably going to hold off exploring much of Skellige until I've got bored of the other places. It's great that each place has a totally different vibe to it.

Safe to say that I will most likely be preordering the expansions as soon as I've finished up the main game, I just don't want to run out of things to do in this world, it's too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I kind of miss having to drink potions before fights. I liked doing research and getting geared up for a fight.