Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

OK DoctorWhat, you're a good kid.

But you keep using the term haters and I will know no respect for you.

You're better than that.

That is a bizarrely specific thing to dislike a person for, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
DoctorWhat's continuing defense of Kill the Moon is curious and surprising to me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

That is a bizarrely specific thing to dislike a person for, man.

I just really dislike the term haters because of how it generalizes people who have genuine complaints and criticisms, and brushes them aside as if their opinion is lesser.

So some one who defends anything with that broad statement? Yeah they tend to draw ire.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

DoctorWhat's continuing defense of Kill the Moon is curious and surprising to me

I'll admit, it's mostly a reaction to the "BAD SCIENCE A BLOO BLOO BLOO" thing. I have approximately zero respect for "BUT HOW CAN THE MOON BE AN EGG, THAT'S STUPID" train of thought.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I'll admit, it's mostly a reaction to the "BAD SCIENCE A BLOO BLOO BLOO" thing. I have approximately zero respect for "BUT HOW CAN THE MOON BE AN EGG, THAT'S STUPID" train of thought.

Most of my ire with that episode has largely faded thanks to what followed it, but there are other serious issues with the episode as well, not the least of which being invalidating everything at the end with the magic new moon nonsense.

It's a story where if no one did anything, everything would have worked out just fine.

But unlike the Big Bang, where that was something of the seasonal plot as the Doctor tried to tell them that he had things under control don't try to be more clever than him it won't go well- here the Doctor also did dick all.

Happy endings and puppies for everyone, shame about those guys dying oh well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I also killed Kill the Moon.

Burkion posted:

I just really dislike the term haters because of how it generalizes people who have genuine complaints and criticisms, and brushes them aside as if their opinion is lesser.

So some one who defends anything with that broad statement? Yeah they tend to draw ire.

I think it tends to get used once the argument carousels have run their course and there isn't much else left to say, but I don't think I ever use the term, so I don't really have a horse in that race.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

HD DAD posted:

You can thank Jenna Coleman for changing her mind about leaving at the very last second for that fake-out.

For a Christmas special it works so much better as a dream that brings them back together.

Still, if you want a dark and sad ending, the final shot of the episode is a tangerine, hinting that they're still in the dream forever!!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

For a Christmas special it works so much better as a dream that brings them back together.

Still, if you want a dark and sad ending, the final shot of the episode is a tangerine, hinting that they're still in the dream forever!!

Except no one said they wanted a sad ending.

And I'd have been fine if she just went "Oh you silly man, we had loads more adventures."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

[inception noise]

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

My stepdaughter had that thought.

All they needed was some technobabble...hell, say "That's no moon!"...but they didn't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really care much about scientific accuracy in my silly space wizard TV show, but Kill the Moon really puts that to the test, and I think that's entirely down to the way it's framed in the story. It's not that it's dumb science, it's that when you should be thinking about the dilemma they're in and the way the Doctor abandons Clara to sort it out on her own, the episode has grabbed you by the lapels and shouted THE MOON IS AN EGG WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Adapting to survive has been the Cyberman thing for 50 years or thereabouts, it's not like the Borg were that innovative

Yeah, it's kind of a tough point for the Cybermen. They were the Borg before the Borg were, and ideally a good Cyberman episode will probably also feel a lot like a good Borg episode of Star Trek. But since the Borg are more famous, especially in outright combat roles, it's the Cybermen who come off looking like the unoriginal ones.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The moon secretly being a space dragon egg is a super cool idea you could do a lot with, but the weird "the moon's gravity has increased" plot excuse was a bit dumb.

I'm not 100% sure I feel about the climax of the episode. It had a weird soup of very good and extremely bad elements.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

This is Dr Who. There are no genuine complaints.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

A certain Forest episode would disagree with you.

As would just.

A lot of things

So many

Why Pip and Jane

why

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

A certain Forest episode would disagree with you.
Nah I liked it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BSam posted:

Nah I liked it.

What's wrong with you?

This is a genuine question. What brain malfunction causes Forest of the Night to be appealing?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The Clara: impossible girl thing was conceptually interesting but it didn't really work. I guess you could see it as a metaphor for how guys tend to treat women as these mysterious puzzles that need to be solved when they're actually just people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spatula City posted:

The Clara: impossible girl thing was conceptually interesting but it didn't really work. I guess you could see it as a metaphor for how guys tend to treat women as these mysterious puzzles that need to be solved when they're actually just people.

I think the only way it could've worked is if she kept getting offed every week and the Doctor just ran into a local version of her wherever he went.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh my God! They killed Clara!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

"The Moon is an egg" I can live with. "The Moon is gaining mass because it's an egg" is rather more problematic.

Then again, I think my scepticism sensors were always going to be firing in an episode that starts with taking the Space Shuttle - infamously a vehicle that can't get out of low Earth orbit - to the Moon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cleretic posted:

What's wrong with you?

This is a genuine question. What brain malfunction causes Forest of the Night to be appealing?

There's really nothing wrong with Forest that some (a lot of) polish and a pointed "are you sure this is the message you want to be sending" conversation at one or two points couldn't have fixed. The atmosphere, both visually and thematically, is incredible, there's some solid characterization happening, and the Doctor's interactions with the children when he's not talking about psychiatric medication are nothing short of delightful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Oh my God! They killed Clara!

I still think it was wasted that Clara never met another Clara. Still time, though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Deep Breath owns, Kill the Moon double owns, Forest is imperfect but has lots of good to it - not least it's an episode of Doctor Who featuring children where they aren't completely insufferable. The word 'haters' also owns.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My main problem with Forest of the Night is Clara's "better for everyone to die, than some people to live" speech. It feels weirdly jarring and not like anything anyone reasonable would ever think, kind of like it's just shoehorned in to talk about the Doctor's situation as the last of his race.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

I still think it was wasted that Clara never met another Clara. Still time, though.

She just has in the current comic in DWM! Splinter-Clara is not taking it well.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Android Blues posted:

My main problem with Forest of the Night is Clara's "better for everyone to die, than some people to live" speech. It feels weirdly jarring and not like anything anyone reasonable would ever think, kind of like it's just shoehorned in to talk about the Doctor's situation as the last of his race.

I don't remember the speech that well, but I think she has a point. I mean, making that choice for other people is a bit weird, but having a number of people survive below the minimum viable population would be pretty harrowing on those involved. I don't think it's as clear cut as the idealistic "living is better". I'm not sure being one of the last 20 humans -- especially if none of those other ones are your family -- is necessarily worth living. It's a thing that's up to the person and the circumstances.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sure, but she doesn't even ask them, just, welp, let's pack these children off to die.

In fairness it's not a good, smart or fair thing to ask a child "would you rather just your parents and everyone you know died, or all that AND you die too?", but I feel like in a given situation where the question is, "should I allow a child to die?" you should usually err on the side of "do not allow child to die".

e: also it's Doctor Who so "minimum viable population" probably wouldn't be a thing. The universe isn't that gritty and various technobabbly ways of getting around that problem are all over!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

There's really nothing wrong with Forest that some (a lot of) polish and a pointed "are you sure this is the message you want to be sending" conversation at one or two points couldn't have fixed. The atmosphere, both visually and thematically, is incredible, there's some solid characterization happening, and the Doctor's interactions with the children when he's not talking about psychiatric medication are nothing short of delightful.

Also trees definitely don't burn, they make the perfect defense against a solar flare

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I really don't care even if there was a real botanical explanation for that (I'm not saying there is, just if), like sufficiently hydrated trees are super fire retardant or something. There's a certain level of violating folk knowledge that you can't do in fiction. It'd be different if this was The Magic School Bus or something and it belabored the point for education, but even if it were correct it violates so much cultural programming over firewood and forest fires it's mind breaking.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

2house2fly posted:

But wait, the Doctor was already stuck in a dream from Amy's Choice! It really is Inception, except the layers are being added extremely slowly!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically, take the 'forest overtakes London' visual and the 'lost school trip hangs out with the Doctor' setting and keep that.

Trash everything else, start again.

Oh, keep the tiger. But do it better.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 23, 2015

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Forest of the Night was a failure of execution problem, really. See, I know it's a bad episode of Who when I'm actively bothered by scientific inaccuracies. Most of the them I can let them slide because Doctor Who is a fairy tale as much as it is science fiction. It's only when I get bored or irritated that I start going WAIT THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.
and while I'm generally against overmedicating children, the episode really poorly handled that issue. A girl starts hearing voices in her head, of loving course you're going to give her medication. Like. what the gently caress Doctor Who.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

BSam posted:

So you just blacked out Love and Monsters, then?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

So you just enjoyed the poo poo out of Love and Monsters, then?

Fixed that. And yes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Love and Monsters is pure "I don't give a gently caress anymore" insanity and is awesome for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Love and Monsters" is more enjoyable when you realise it's about Doctor Who fans and the villain is Ian Levine.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MikeJF posted:

Oh, keep the tiger. But do it better.

Still think the episode would have had way more potential if they had the school trip be to the zoo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just finished a spirited argument over spirits with my friend/local comic book store owner about how its completely possible for Paul McGann to be my Doctor. He said the TV movie is not worth the time and had no redeeming qualities,I said McGann was a drat fine Doctor and made the whole thing worthwhile.

On one hand, he's agreed to stock some Big Finish next time the option comes up from his distributor.

On the other hand, I now have Eric Roberts as my iPhone wallpaper...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

2house2fly posted:

...until Clara wakes up, goes into the bathroom, sees Danny in the shower, and tells him she had the strangest dream.

In Dallas Texas, of course.

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 24, 2015

• Locked thread