Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
All this talk about Superman's name being spoken aloud sounds like a recipe for... *turns to camera* Brand Dilution!

DUN DUNNN DUUUNNNN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Should have had Superman "killed" off by Doomsday before the series began. That way you keep him off the show and you could still explore whether she even feels worthy to carry on the mantle and what her being public means for exposing the word to more potential destruction.

If the show isn't tied to the movies or other TV series, then there's no reason not to utilize the existing mythos to explain why he is no longer around.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 23, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Teek posted:

Should have had Superman "killed" off by Doomsday before the series began.

For what this show is trying to be that's probably too grim a starting point. Once the show gets going in earnest, and they stop referring to superman every two minutes, it really won't be that big of a deal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

teagone posted:

I don't read Supergirl comics but the pilot got me interested. Is there a general recommendation as to what would be best to start with?

If you want Kara with the origin given in the show... the closest you're likely to get is the pre-New 52 book from maybe around the Sterling Gates run, through to KSD's.

Peter David has a very acclaimed run on an earlier volume, but it's a very different Supergirl, because at the time, DC was Very Serious about Superman being the Last Kryptonian. (She's a robot/ghost/angel/maybe?)

And Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures In The 8th Grade is an utterly adorable and surprisingly dense take on Supergirl in middle school, and is a great standalone all-ages book, with dynamic cartoony art and tight pacing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gaz-L posted:

If you want Kara with the origin given in the show... the closest you're likely to get is the pre-New 52 book from maybe around the Sterling Gates run, through to KSD's.

Peter David has a very acclaimed run on an earlier volume, but it's a very different Supergirl, because at the time, DC was Very Serious about Superman being the Last Kryptonian. (She's a robot/ghost/angel/maybe?)

And Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures In The 8th Grade is an utterly adorable and surprisingly dense take on Supergirl in middle school, and is a great standalone all-ages book, with dynamic cartoony art and tight pacing.

Brilliant, thanks for the recommendations :)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I have pretty fond memories of "The Supergirl from Krypton" from the Superman/Batman line and was the basis for Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, though I haven't read it since it first came out. There's been so many versions of Supergirl and her origins that it's hard to pin anything down. I'd kill for a Power Girl based on Amanda Conner's short run, but I'm hopeful for this as it stands.

I wonder if we'll get the Legion of Superheroes eventually. That's pretty standard for Supergirl in most all incarnations. As long as they stay away from anything to do with the Matrix version and Lex Luthor II, it's hard to go wrong with Supergirl. She's honestly a good character that never got the recognition that was deserved.

Edit: It's not like there's no namedrop on re-watch. They drop "Superman" straight up in the intro monologue. That makes it a tiny bit weird when it's never used again. Some sort of limitation from WB on how many times it can be used in a season? If so, I'm having flashbacks to Smallville where it was used twice - once spoken, once in print.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 24, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I wonder if we'll get the Legion of Superheroes eventually. That's pretty standard for Supergirl in most all incarnations. As long as they stay away from anything to do with the Matrix version and Lex Luthor II, it's hard to go wrong with Supergirl. She's honestly a good character that never got the recognition that was deserved.

The Matrix stuff was of course a contrivance of that era, but the basic idea of Supergirl being tricked into Lex Luthor's confidence and then going loving nuclear on him when she discovers the truth is pretty solid, I think.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Who is Superman? Are you talking about the mysterious vigilante Mai Cousin?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McSpanky posted:

The Matrix stuff was of course a contrivance of that era, but the basic idea of Supergirl being tricked into Lex Luthor's confidence and then going loving nuclear on him when she discovers the truth is pretty solid, I think.

Is that what eventually happened? I read the Death and Return of Superman, so I kinda know about what the deal was with Supergirl and Lex II, but never found out what happened after, next time I read anything with Supergirl was the Loeb Batman/Superman comic that brought her back as his cousin.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the sad fact is that there's no real comics run of Supergirl that actually encompasses the tone of the show. Much like how there's no actual Flash comics where Barry is besties with Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow and solves metahuman cases with Dadcop Joe West, and there's no Green Arrow comics where he's got a sister who's the daughter of his nemesis, there's no version of DC Comics Supergirl exists (yet) where she's working in a media corporation with her confidante Toyman and has a foster sister who's secretly a government scientist.

Sometimes it's for the better, and sometimes it's for the worse that their TV properties are so different from the stuff they print. Under no circumstances should the comics take any cues whatsoever from Arrow's current season, after all. But I hope they take a good look at what makes the CBS Supergirl work and apply it to their current comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There actually are Flash and Arrow show comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mortanis posted:

Edit: It's not like there's no namedrop on re-watch. They drop "Superman" straight up in the intro monologue. That makes it a tiny bit weird when it's never used again. Some sort of limitation from WB on how many times it can be used in a season? If so, I'm having flashbacks to Smallville where it was used twice - once spoken, once in print.

That almost makes it worse to me. It's like "my cousin grew up to be Superman"... then immediately Superman becomes a four-letter word that no one can say. If they committed to the "my cousin" schtick for the whole episode it'd still be awful, but less so.

other notes/opinions:
Also a minor plot point that bothered me was Supergirl's pal who I don't think ever got a name and the costume design montage. It reminded me of how on Arrow, Felicity went from her initial appearance of "tech girl/hacker" to "can do pretty much anything but fight", only hyper-accelerated. The guy shows up in his initial appearance and I think he's a graphic designer(? I'm basing this on the fact that Photoshop's on his desktop in the scene where Kara walks in), but suddenly when it's montage time he's hacking the police network and able to sew costumes and obtain "structured polymer composite" for capes in the course of... like what, a week? drat, dude's a loving renaissance man.

Also also, the scene at the end with Olsen and the baby blanket-cape seemed kinda dumb. I mean, I guess the blanket is something from her dead homeworld, but it's Kal's, it doesn't (or shouldn't) carry that much emotional weight for Kara, yet the scene treats it like this is super-touching, but it's not. To Superman her cousin, the cape is a symbol of love from his parents and one of the only things that made it off Krypton. For Kara, it's a cape.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

That almost makes it worse to me. It's like "my cousin grew up to be Superman"... then immediately Superman becomes a four-letter word that no one can say. If they committed to the "my cousin" schtick for the whole episode it'd still be awful, but less so.

other notes/opinions:
Also a minor plot point that bothered me was Supergirl's pal who I don't think ever got a name and the costume design montage. It reminded me of how on Arrow, Felicity went from her initial appearance of "tech girl/hacker" to "can do pretty much anything but fight", only hyper-accelerated. The guy shows up in his initial appearance and I think he's a graphic designer(? I'm basing this on the fact that Photoshop's on his desktop in the scene where Kara walks in), but suddenly when it's montage time he's hacking the police network and able to sew costumes and obtain "structured polymer composite" for capes in the course of... like what, a week? drat, dude's a loving renaissance man.

Also also, the scene at the end with Olsen and the baby blanket-cape seemed kinda dumb. I mean, I guess the blanket is something from her dead homeworld, but it's Kal's, it doesn't (or shouldn't) carry that much emotional weight for Kara, yet the scene treats it like this is super-touching, but it's not. To Superman her cousin, the cape is a symbol of love from his parents and one of the only things that made it off Krypton. For Kara, it's a cape.

Because of its significance to him, it is significant to be given it. Like if your friend entrusted you with his grandpa's watch.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's also like when you complete the introductory chapter in an RPG and the mission-giver rewards you with some upgraded gear.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Maybe later I'll make an effort-post, but just wanted to say this. I'm a queer woman who cringed so hard at that initial trailer (the "What's wrong with 'SuperGIRL'? I'm a girl"* and "I'm not gay!"** bits bothered the gently caress out of me) that my face scrunched up so much it nearly turned inside out. That said, the pilot was actually pretty enjoyable! I was pleasantly surprised.

*No, you're a woman who's setting back feminism. Go gently caress yourself. I did like Kara being pissed about it, since she's the hero. If they're setting up Cat to be an asshat, well, mission accomplished.
** That line could have been cute if Kara laughed it off, rolled her eyes and said, "no, you doofus!", but she just seems so... indignant? Like being "accused" of being a lesbian is so horrible. I guess maybe she's just frustrated, she's been building the nerve to tell her friend she's Kryptonian, but it came off pretty terrible.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I don't want to use "files" so have not seen the pilot but from what I've read here, does Superman no longer have a cape? Or did he have a spare?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
His parents clearly packed him with a factory's worth of blankets in case he got cold on a planet where he was immune to freezing to death and knew it ahead of time. They were providing him with the means to bootstrap himself into an industrial giant with his fashion line.

The actual interesting bit for me from the pilot is that it's not an established DC world. Superman was the only other hero it sounds like - Kara says that the world now has two heroes, so the entire pantheon of DC heroes doesn't exist. It's almost as if they're trying to tie it into Man of Steel even though there's no way that works. I'm guessing they're trying to draw as many similar elements to ease people into it (Superman being the only hero at the moment; the Phantom Zone houses prisoners).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At this point I'm almost wondering if they realised how much they screwed up with the trailer and leaked as damage control, knowing the actual episode would get better buzz. :tinfoil:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MikeJF posted:

At this point I'm almost wondering if they realised how much they screwed up with the trailer and leaked as damage control, knowing the actual episode would get better buzz. :tinfoil:

Look no further than the Flash and Constantine leaks last year.

They were worried about a spinoff of Arrow with a completely different tone?
Boom. Leaked pilot got and sustained massive hype that carried through the rockier bits of the first few episodes.

Constantine, they got bssically a huge test audience, canned the original lead lady and replaced her (not necessarily for the better, buuuut....)

So yeah, I think they're paying a lot of attention to how this leak is recieved.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
At this point, leak release management has become its own industry and it's a good thing for companies to do. Critics are tech aware enough to home in on them within hours and start putting the out the word on how it is. I've already seen a number of larger sites giving this a positive spin (which I agree it deserves).

Unlike Constantine, I doubt we'll see any major changes though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Makes sense, because the Supergirl pilot is significantly better than Constantine's pilot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

other notes/opinions:

She says he's IT. I don't think that's supposed to be his desk, just somewhere he sat to talk to her.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rumor's going around established by James Tyler Williams that Jaden Smith is confirmed as Static in that upcoming series. :negative:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I'll withhold judgment. After Earth was legit bad, but I'm not going to chalk that up to the actors. The plot of the movie was to encourage wooden acting and I think the directing was more to blame than anything. The Karate Kid wasn't really all that bad. There's probably better choices out there but I don't think that's an immediate reason for me to tune out.

Or I'm just trying to tell myself that.

Do we know anything about the show yet? Where it falls in the pantheon? Solo, tied to the CW-verse, etc?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mortanis posted:

Do we know anything about the show yet? Where it falls in the pantheon? Solo, tied to the CW-verse, etc?

Pretty sure Berlanti said it's definitively solo.

Stephen Amell keeps saying things about wanting to do a crossover but he's just an actor with no control over the show so in the end he's just like every other fanboy only much more attractive.

Scyantific posted:

Rumor's going around established by James Tyler Williams that Jaden Smith is confirmed as Static in that upcoming series. :negative:

I didn't even know there was an upcoming Static series. I guess my hype outweighs the possibility of Jaden Smith acting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is CBS connected to Paramount or Warner Brother?, because the CW was a combination of their tv channels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Pretty sure Berlanti said it's definitively solo.

Stephen Amell keeps saying things about wanting to do a crossover but he's just an actor with no control over the show so in the end he's just like every other fanboy only much more attractive.

Until contract negotiations make him a producer anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Him being a producer on Arrow probably doesn't affect the odds of a Supergirl crossover much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Depends how good his agent is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Depends how good his agent is.

I doubt he cares enough he'd trade a Supergirl crossover for more money/creative control of what happens on the show he's the titular character of.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Does the CW do that? I know on USA shows if you put in a couple of seasons and are the main character you get bumped up to producer credit and then start getting to do things like write and direct episodes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tom Welling was, doesn't look like the Supernatural guys are.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Which is weird because Tom Welling hated his show while those two love theirs.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I'm pretty sure the only way we're getting a crossover between the two shows would be a one shot where Flash's journey through the multiverse drops him in a universe where Superman/Supergirl actually exist. He could meet up with that world's Arrow there and that's how they get Amell on the show...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they did something like that they could keep it as Oliver Queen, ultra rich playboy without a care in the world.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

muscles like this? posted:

If they did something like that they could keep it as Oliver Queen, ultra rich playboy without a care in the world.

Bonus points if he still had the boat crash and Superman saved him...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Skwirl posted:

Is CBS connected to Paramount or Warner Brother?, because the CW was a combination of their tv channels.

It's complicated. Paramount is a Viacom company. Viacom and CBS have a weird relationship where Viacom was spun out of CBS, then they merged at some point (with Viacom being the owner??), but now they are split completely (since 2005.) Prior to 2005, the CW was basically The WB which was pretty much exclusively Time Warner, and CBS/Viacom had their own network called "UPN". The two networks combined to form CW in 2006 after the Viacom split (with UPN under CBS control apparently.)

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 25, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

"My name is Oliver Queen. After 5 years partying in Starling City, I've decided to keep partying. That's- that's it, I didn't have anything else."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Could we possibly get a staunchly liberal alternate earth Ollie Queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Nobody but comic nerds like that Ollie, so no.