Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

megalodong posted:

tfw you soloed bst to 75 in the boyahda tree.

At least Elder Goobbues would sometimes drop tree cuttings!

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I've gotten to level 45 or something now (I can't even keep track) basically by killing things on the way to my next rank mission or whatever I'm looking to unlock. I got 4 levels just meeting the "Kill 20 aquans" challenge in Qufim on my way to Delfbutt for the Rank 3 missions. Naturally my gear is godawful garbage but it doesn't really matter, I just go get a new sword with sparks every now and then and keep plowing through poo poo.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Boten Anna posted:

I've gotten to level 45 or something now (I can't even keep track) basically by killing things on the way to my next rank mission or whatever I'm looking to unlock. I got 4 levels just meeting the "Kill 20 aquans" challenge in Qufim on my way to Delfbutt for the Rank 3 missions. Naturally my gear is godawful garbage but it doesn't really matter, I just go get a new sword with sparks every now and then and keep plowing through poo poo.

That is how you are supposed to do it. Brown chests sometimes drop armor and weapons.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Gruknor posted:

That is how you are supposed to do it. Brown chests sometimes drop armor and weapons.

Yeah that's how I have what I have but I get really bored of opening them after a while :v:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah that's how I have what I have but I get really bored of opening them after a while :v:

until the open chests objective comes up. Does that work for keyers in aby?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

keyers in abyssea have it easy enough

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Paladine_PSoT posted:

That objective works with blue chests as well btw.

Tsampikos
May 4, 2009
whats the fastest way to farm sparks?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Tsampikos posted:

whats the fastest way to farm sparks?

Do the repeat quests, repeat kill quests, spoils, anything that repeats.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Also the "Gain Experience" timed RoE.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm really stuck. I have been playing an FFXI private server, and it's pretty fun and scratches a bit of the itch and I don't feel bad for logging off if I don't want to wait for a group. but I really want to play Official servers and with goons, because private servers often feel shoddy. So I don't know what to do..

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Well that's easy. Take advantage of the current full FFXI with all expansions and 30 days for 9.99$ deal, and come play with goons. There's a double exp event going out the month, and the Adventurer Appreciation campaing going for the same time gives you a free exp ring with +150% bonus exp, 30k max (so for the next 20k regular exp you'll get 30k bonus). Unlimited charges, usable every 2hrs. Oh, and trusts. Those are probably not on the private server, right?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The Adventurer's Appreciation thing also gives you a trust with an experience bonus aura, and a furnishing with an experience bonus moghancement. They happen every year in May, so if you're gonna start a new character, now's the time.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Valle posted:

Well that's easy. Take advantage of the current full FFXI with all expansions and 30 days for 9.99$ deal, and come play with goons. There's a double exp event going out the month, and the Adventurer Appreciation campaing going for the same time gives you a free exp ring with +150% bonus exp, 30k max (so for the next 20k regular exp you'll get 30k bonus). Unlimited charges, usable every 2hrs. Oh, and trusts. Those are probably not on the private server, right?

I managed to get level 30 in about 45 minutes for each job using the new trust, mog house decoration, and ring. I run from San d'Oria to Jeuno and am level 30 by the time I arrive. I could get used to this.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Seriously? Meaning I could get from 1-18 and subjob quest in <30 minutes?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

lemonslol posted:

Seriously? Meaning I could get from 1-18 and subjob quest in <30 minutes?

Pretty much. The new Rhapsodies of Vana'diel has a KI you get from one of the first missions that lets you get subjob from the subjob quest person without bothering to get the drat items.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I would like to suggest that if you have any interest in playing this game within the next year but can't right now for whatever reason; subscribe for a month and pick up the ring that gives a 30k exp bonus every 2 hours. If you want to make a new character, that's fine as you can pick it up at level 1. Then just hold it until you can play.

It's part of the anniversary event and will disappear for a least a year on June 2nd. It's also insane. Especially when combined with the rhapsody bonus.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Does patching still take forever? And I guess downloading the game? And checking all the files?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Downloading is the same as downloading anything else. Patching still takes forever but there are .zips with the patches you can download... from... somewhere. I looked upthread but I didn't see a link to it. But I'm fairly sure you can get a link to the patch off the bgwiki forums-- Here: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125605-May-Update-files-zipped

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Does anyone know how to get Project Tako back up and running? I never took the time to learn but if I'm going to be playing this stupid game again then I would actually like to do that at some point, in case they continue to break things long after whoever created it has quit.

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Dan, there's a reason why we get emails calling you Le Bafart, Le Baturd, Le Bajerk...
Paid the $10, and I`m pretty sure this is the 6th time I bought the whole game, including on release day for PS2 back in like 2004.

Give it a shot, see if it sticks this time.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

Male of the Century posted:

Does anyone know how to get Project Tako back up and running? I never took the time to learn but if I'm going to be playing this stupid game again then I would actually like to do that at some point, in case they continue to break things long after whoever created it has quit.

Mine's working. http://projecttako.com/

Edit - unless you mean in the future, when he quits, if it'll still be maintained? At that point, if nobody is updating movement programs, I probably won't play.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just a warning, SE has been coming down pretty hardcore on botters/cupper lately.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kazy posted:

Just a warning, SE has been coming down pretty hardcore on botters/cupper lately.

That and with the sheer amount of ways to telepot around, you really dont need it.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

If you get banned in FFXI, will it affect your FFXIV account at all?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

G Prestige posted:

Mine's working. http://projecttako.com/

Edit - unless you mean in the future, when he quits, if it'll still be maintained? At that point, if nobody is updating movement programs, I probably won't play.

I keep getting .net errors when I try it now, and nothing has changed except the may 19th patch :( The collision and not having to stop every time you use any ability is worth the risk. Yeah it can do a lot more but as you've said that part is mostly unnecessary.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 25, 2015

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Purchased and updating.

So as someone who isn't very familiar with the game. What should I be doing as soon as I can log in and in what order?

Level to 10, get some rings of exp and some stuff?
Get the Link perl
18 subjob
???
Poop sock?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

After the intro cutscene, find the anniversary moogle-- the one in Bastok is near the fountain in the market-- and get the 2 exp rings. You can get all the junk in the red chest on the other side of him, too, if you want but the important things in that chest are 3 'ciphers' on the last page.

After that, look on the menu for the quest tab and then under 'records of eminence' select 'objectives' then tutorial and active it. This will direct you to an NPC who will tell you about RoE.

Then, get signet, go kill some bees and in 5 minutes when you're level 7, look for the objective in the quest panel that talks about 'trusts'. This will lead you to an NPC who will give you a short quest that will give you your first trust. After you complete that quest, go back to the NPC who gave it to you and give him the ciphers you got from the red chest. That will give you 3 more trusts, of which you can summon 3 at a time. The moogle just gives a small refresh and the goblin is awesome.

Then stumble you're way around, slowly heading toward the Zulkhiem Dunes while killing everything on the way. But the time you reach them, you should be in the high teens or low 20s, at which point you should be able to do the first rhapsody mission in Selbina. Which, among other things, will let you bypass the subjob quest and let you summon a fouth trust.

Then keep killing crap until you're level 30ish, then head to Jeuno, where you'll spend 20 minutes watching very slow cutscenes. But most importantly, you should talk to Jochiam in Port Jeuno ASAP, so you start getting traverser stones... If there's a red chest next to him, get it and it'll make traverser stones irrelevant but I'm not sure if it's up right now.

That should get you 'started'. Other than that, also go and touch every crystal and survival guide you pass. And be sure to add as many RoE objectives as are relevant to what you're doing at the moment.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

On account of lemonslol and some irl friends I bought the 9 dollar pack and after literal hours of gut wrenching agony I've got my accounts all merged, my content id recognized and I'm well into the many hours of patching needed.

My entire goal is to be a competent puppetmaster in as little time as possible. Anything I need to know or do to feasibly make that dream a reality?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

On account of lemonslol and some irl friends I bought the 9 dollar pack and after literal hours of gut wrenching agony I've got my accounts all merged, my content id recognized and I'm well into the many hours of patching needed.

My entire goal is to be a competent puppetmaster in as little time as possible. Anything I need to know or do to feasibly make that dream a reality?

Ask CubsWoo, he has a pup mythic weapon.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

In as maplestory ! Pearl necklace me or w.e

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I'm in as Pizze and would love a pearl when someone has time.

Edit: I can't figure out how to start the RoE tutorial.
Edit2: Nevermind, you just have to hit enter on a completely empty menu.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 25, 2015

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Aranith's back, I'm on Asura, someone slap a pearl on him so he can ruin all your fun or whatever.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Well that was a frightfully productive labor day. Got to level 70, beat the shadowlord, got blm and whm to 30 in a few minutes each, finally beat that fucker Maat the first time (though with trusts it's practically cheating.) There is so much unfinished business to attend to.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Boten Anna posted:

finally beat that fucker Maat the first time (though with trusts it's practically cheating.)

Seriously. Semih killed maat in like 3 hits.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I only needed help with Shadowlord because none of my trusts could do magic damage :v: Those fuckers made quick work of him until he went physical immune.

Speaking of, I noticed when playing BLM that it seems like cast times and recast times are much shorter and the MP costs of spells were way lower. Was BLM balanced to be almost playable? :monocle:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh hey, was the free login campaign extended to June or something? Maybe I should let FFXI reinstall and update itself tonight so I can gently caress around and get some trusts or something.

Can you still uncap FPS with Windower?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

DizzyBum posted:

Oh hey, was the free login campaign extended to June or something? Maybe I should let FFXI reinstall and update itself tonight so I can gently caress around and get some trusts or something.

Can you still uncap FPS with Windower?

It just ended IIRC.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

I only needed help with Shadowlord because none of my trusts could do magic damage :v: Those fuckers made quick work of him until he went physical immune.

Speaking of, I noticed when playing BLM that it seems like cast times and recast times are much shorter and the MP costs of spells were way lower. Was BLM balanced to be almost playable? :monocle:

Blm is in a pretty nice spot atm, you will get into vagary pretty easy. I suggest trying out geo though, not as strong on nukes, but one of the best buff/debuff jobs in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Speaking of Vagary and other content I've only ever heard of but never done, I realized that now I'm way farther in the game than I ever made it after playing for years, I'm not quite sure what to plan next. I'd like to unlock BLU and catch that up to my 70 WAR since it seems to be the hotshit class and I'd like to be the hotshit class for once, gods drat it, but after that I'm not sure. At least I have the jp midnight for Aht Urghan access ticking down, but still, it took me a while to figure out that Boyhada Tree was a good place to xp to get to 70, I am so clueless after that.

In general I'll probably start working on Zilart missions and AF quests and such but getting to 99 for the first time also seems like a good focus, where are some good places to go to xp at level 70 and beyond?