Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
I believe this shows up in ingame subtitles as "Geralt: Prrrrrrrr."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Sauer posted:

Roach and Geralt have intertwined destinies. Roach is the Horse Surprise. Everytime Geralt tries to get rid of Roach he always seems to turn up again.

I'm away from home this weekend. What happens if you ride Roach off a cliff?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Psiharis posted:

I believe this shows up in ingame subtitles as "Geralt: Prrrrrrrr."

Based on his pathfinding when you whistle him to come, I like to think of Roach as a loyal but kinda derpy horse. Be a little nicer to him though Geralt :unsmith:

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Totally thought "Fencing Lessons" was a euphuism.

Worst game ever, 1/10.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Azazell0 posted:

I'm level 8 now and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I'm in Velen, doing Baron's quest and that conversation with the Pellar is one of the most atmospheric I've seen. Some creepy stuff in this whole quest with the botchling and all. The soundtrack during it is really awesome, too.

I'd like to find a new silver sword, though. I'm still using the viper one I crafted earlier. Got some diagrams but they're for level 12 and 13.

I think Griffin set is for that level, so if you have the quest for it get on it

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

zen death robot posted:

I still haven't completed the Valen questlines, this game is really huge.

I slowly came to that conclusion when I spent quite a while in White Orchard, got to Velen, and realised just how much bigger the whole area actually was. This game is staggeringly big.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MadJackMcJack posted:

I slowly came to that conclusion when I spent quite a while in White Orchard, got to Velen, and realised just how much bigger the whole area actually was. This game is staggeringly big.

wait until you get to Novigrad.

Edit: I spent three hours last night mostly just exploring the city and grabbing quests and fast travel points. It's huge and beautiful and feels very *alive*

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Nah, why would you need someone other than Roach?

C'mere, Roach. *blows raspberry in imitation of horse sighing*

I have a deep need for a vibrant tapestry of horse colors in my open world horse simulator. Prrrr.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Bloody Baron. I am seeing a bunch of posters about his missing wife/daughter, and while I have a Main Quest stage to go visit him, slaughtering some of his thugs put me on his radar as antagonist. I'm thinking it would really smoothing things over with the Baron if I could go out of my way to rescue his family. Is it possible to do that or is it one of those deals where it only becomes relevant by actually pursuing the previously mentioned Main Quest?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

I'd like to find a new silver sword, though. I'm still using the viper one I crafted earlier. Got some diagrams but they're for level 12 and 13.

The silver swords don't seem to scale nearly as well as the steel ones. Maybe the whole "their for witchers use only" thing is the cause...

The soundtrack in this game, in particular in Velen and White Orchards where it's super noticeable, is really really amazing. It frames what's going on really well and often subtly. It's not the bombastic you'd expect from Bioware or the "heard it from the last game" you'd expect from Bethesda. Really top-notch job.

Kiggles posted:

Bloody Baron. I am seeing a bunch of posters about his missing wife/daughter, and while I have a Main Quest stage to go visit him, slaughtering some of his thugs put me on his radar as antagonist. I'm thinking it would really smoothing things over with the Baron if I could go out of my way to rescue his family. Is it possible to do that or is it one of those deals where it only becomes relevant by actually pursuing the previously mentioned Main Quest?

It is part of the main quest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's not as big as Skyrim though so it's basically a failure in every way.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Augh, why are there suddenly monsters in this cave on the main quest that I cannot even roll away from. Just as I'm learning to be not completely worthless with the dodge and roll, up comes a golem and then that Wild Hunt guy. If I'm at sword-hitting distance from the golem when it does the ground stomp, I always stagger & take 50% hp in damage even if I roll away immediately. The axe guy is even worse. What am I supposed to do with him, keep plonking away with un-upgraded igni? Argh :argh:

Maybe the idea is to keep quen up so I can just take hits to the face, but I've been trying to avoid quen in favour of not getting hit in the first place.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kiggles posted:

Well not to spoil too much but I don't think you can find them without talking to the Baron first. I did exactly the same thing as you probably, some thugs were being rude at the Inn at the Crossroads and I ended up killing them, then learned afterward they were the Bloody Baron's men.

You don't need to "smooth things over" and haven't broken the quest. You also won't be able to rescue his wife and daughter without advancing the main quest by talking to the Baron, it's quite long and involved and awesome.

Edit: spoiler on meeting with the Baron after killing his dudes - The villagers will all run inside and the Baron's guards will shut the gates. There is, however, an alternate way into the keep the game will point you toward at that point.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

I think Griffin set is for that level, so if you have the quest for it get on it

Don't have anything like that on my quest log. I'll keep an eye out. Do you get it randomly or from some particular place?

It's also funny to see your own first name in the bestiary with the suffix "the Gimp" commenting on endregas.

Orv
May 4, 2011

jaete posted:

Augh, why are there suddenly monsters in this cave on the main quest that I cannot even roll away from. Just as I'm learning to be not completely worthless with the dodge and roll, up comes a golem and then that Wild Hunt guy. If I'm at sword-hitting distance from the golem when it does the ground stomp, I always stagger & take 50% hp in damage even if I roll away immediately. The axe guy is even worse. What am I supposed to do with him, keep plonking away with un-upgraded igni? Argh :argh:

Maybe the idea is to keep quen up so I can just take hits to the face, but I've been trying to avoid quen in favour of not getting hit in the first place.

For bigger enemies, that is golems, Wild Hunt, elementals, fiends, etc, stand about two Geralts away, strong attack once, then roll not dodge diagonally past them to the opposite side. Think of it like the second half of a check mark, for how you want to roll away, if they are in the bottom of the V of the mark. It'll take time but you'll avoid most attacks, including their large AOEs because roll is a little longer than those enemies AOE attacks and you'll be using the whole roll at that angle.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not as big as Skyrim though so it's basically a failure in every way.

all the areas combined make it bigger than skyrim. shoulda said daggerfall bro.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Azazell0 posted:

Don't have anything like that on my quest log. I'll keep an eye out. Do you get it randomly or from some particular place?

It's also funny to see your own first name in the bestiary with the suffix "the Gimp" commenting on endregas.

Merchants, especially Armorers, have letters that give you treasure hunts. I kept buying those on sight and inevitably got the Griffin hunt. I'm level 11 and the Griffin set is level 8 but it was still an upgrade for me, I use Signs a lot (Medium armor bonus talent is for Signs) and you'll be able to upgrade it later on.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm sill a little stunned at how much stuff there is to do. I'm someone who really gets bored with open world games, but as other people have said, the way quests can weave together, or you can stumble upon them and the game recognizes it -- there's a lot of reactivity here. Nothing major, just a few lines of dialogue here and there, but still, it's the little details. I even thought that witcher contracts would start to get stale because they seemed to follow a pretty standard pattern, but having moved to Viking Ireland, there's been some really awesome quests that have shaken things up. Also the soundtrack. The soundtrack is really good. I never really paid attention to the music in the previous games, but they really nailed it for this game. The horse racing music rules (Cloak and Dagger on the soundtrack).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

You don't need to "smooth things over" and haven't broken the quest. You also won't be able to rescue his wife and daughter without advancing the main quest by talking to the Baron, it's quite long and involved and awesome.
That's fine. I was just checking whether or not there wasn't some other way of handling things. I mean, the posters are RIGHT THERE at the Crow's Nest gates, before any of his men inside are hostile. Figured it would be worth a shot, but like gently caress I wanted to scour the game trying to find some way to trigger the quest. I already put it off for like three levels while doing a bunch of side quests in the off chance I don't blunder on doing just that.

Thanks, and you too, Schlesische

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Schlesische posted:

The silver swords don't seem to scale nearly as well as the steel ones. Maybe the whole "their for witchers use only" thing is the cause...

The soundtrack in this game, in particular in Velen and White Orchards where it's super noticeable, is really really amazing. It frames what's going on really well and often subtly. It's not the bombastic you'd expect from Bioware or the "heard it from the last game" you'd expect from Bethesda. Really top-notch job.

When I'm grinding in vidya I usually tune out and play podcasts but White Orchard has this little piano piece that plays sometimes at nights which is so nice and atmospheric that I HAVE to listen to it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I don't know if it's just for pre-orders or whatever but the OST is in my GOG goodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8J9HXcOxrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdZ1BOheTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3L0_ez0Dg4

It is the best thing

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's also there if you pre-ordered through Steam.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When putting some mods in I found a soundtrack, map, wallpapers, art work and art book folders. This is for anyone who installed it on Steam.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Besides Velen, Novigrad and Skellege, how many explorable territories are there in this game?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Without spoiling much for me, can anyone tell me if there are any sort of rewards or story changes if Geralt refuses rewards for killing monsters?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Baron Bifford posted:

Without spoiling much for me, can anyone tell me if there are any sort of rewards or story changes if Geralt refuses rewards for killing monsters?

The only things I've ever noticed as a consequence to refusing rewards is slightly more experience and/or people giving you something other than money (such as gems).

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Another unintentionally horse related question--I've left White Orchard but the griffin head is still on my horse. Figured it'd go away after the actual quest. Is it supposed to still be there?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

redcheval posted:

Another unintentionally horse related question--I've left White Orchard but the griffin head is still on my horse. Figured it'd go away after the actual quest. Is it supposed to still be there?

Yes. Trophies you collect are hung on your horse now instead of your belt hook.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

redcheval posted:

Yeah that's equipped in your Trophy slot, killing big monsters will reward you with different trophies you can equip or sell. In your inventory tab there are several slots for Roach - trophy, saddle, saddlebags, blinders.

Edit: pls add barbershop options for Roach, I want to braid his mane :gay:

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Meh, is there any place that sells the various alcohols in bulk? Seems I need a lot to make enough White Gull, but the taverns only sell 2-3 at a time.

The tavern in Kaer Trolde, Skellige sells a butt tonne of them. If it's not enough just meditate for a few days and grab more

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Dreylad posted:

I'm sill a little stunned at how much stuff there is to do. I'm someone who really gets bored with open world games, but as other people have said, the way quests can weave together, or you can stumble upon them and the game recognizes it -- there's a lot of reactivity here. Nothing major, just a few lines of dialogue here and there, but still, it's the little details.

One of the downsides of being able to stumble into the middle of quests is losing the ability to haggle. Twice my exploring has cost me some extra crowns after stumbling into a Contract quest, be careful where you wander folks.

In spite of this I still have 4000 crowns after finishing the Velen story quests. Go figure

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

jaete posted:

Yrden is the solution to most bis slow monsters, the Bestiary actually recommends tactics for almost all of them as well.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I've got a feeling the game will make me chose between Yenifer, the cold bitch that is supposed to be Geralt beloved and Triss, the cool badass girl who shared all our adventures...
Too bad for the Orca with boobs.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Just watched the Triss-Yennifer threesome on YouTube and I can confirm it is not a hoax, nor a dream!

It is better than I could have imagined. :allears:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Awww I was hoping I got a pet dog.

This game needs pet dogs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress Hattori, had to get that off my chest.

I just wanted to sell some of my swords because of overbearing

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

On that note, the seemingly total lack of weaponsmiths in Velen really is a bit annoying. According to the map there's one supposed to be in that one village west of Crow's Peak, but the guy just stands there and can't be interacted with. I had to travel all the way into Novigrad what felt like quite a bit ahead of time just to get the Griffin swords made.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When the bestiary tells me an enemy is weak against the aard (the stun) does that mean it knocks them out longer, or do I need to somehow counter with it to get a healthy amount of attacks in with it?

Also, same with the Yrden perimeter spell. If something is weak to that does that mean I want to trap them inside it, on the border, or that they just cant enter?

I guess the moral of my story is I'm confused about enemy weakness to signs unless its igni

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Perestroika posted:

On that note, the seemingly total lack of weaponsmiths in Velen really is a bit annoying. According to the map there's one supposed to be in that one village west of Crow's Peak, but the guy just stands there and can't be interacted with. I had to travel all the way into Novigrad what felt like quite a bit ahead of time just to get the Griffin swords made.

The "can't be interacted with" thing is a legit bug, I think. If you go for a wander and come back/reload it may fix itself. There are a few swordsmiths in Velen, actually, but they're all amateurs. If you want a journeyman before Novigrad there's one in Oxenfurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

While I was still doing Novigrad stuff I started swimming across the loving bay so I didn't have to refuse him again.