Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Non-Nexus everything gets poo poo support. The Zenfone 2 might get poo poo support but not because of the SoC. It's the same one that's in the Nexus Player which was one of the first devices (maybe it was the first?) to get 5.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I'm essentially between an LG G3 and a Nexus 5. I can get a Nexus 5 for about 100 less than a G3, but the G3 is in most ways a more advanced phone. Any suggestions?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I'm looking for some advice for the 2 phones on our plan, a HTC One S with broken vibrate function and dying battery, and a Nexus 4 with corroded earpiece and signal/overheating issues. The One S has been a great phone but the Nexus 4 has been a giant turd since we've owned it. We are planning to replace the phones out of pocket but we aren't sure what to go for.

Country/Provider: USA / T-Mobile
Current contract status: 2 Year Contract
Plan: Unlimited talk/text 1gb data

One S:
Budget: $200
Important Features:
-Signal strength, our house is in an area with spotty coverage that is affected by how many leaves are outside. Needs to be at least as good as the One S.
-Battery life, prefer something that only needs to be charged every couple days, assuming light usage
-Decent performance
-Prefer 4g, but can live without it

Nexus 4:
Budget: $300 (Maybe $350)
Important Features:
-Signal strength, same as above, the Nexus 4 currently does not meet this at all, and it is frustrating
-Clear voice quality/decent voice volume
-Camera, as good as is reasonable, the person using this takes a lot of pictures
-Similar size to Nexus 4 preferred.
-4g
Performance is unimportant here, as long as it responds reasonably. Also can be any OS, they don't use most phone apps.

Edit: To clarify on the signal issue, we live on the backside of a hill away from the tower, so when it's not winter, some models simply can't get reliable signal at our house. I assume it's due to smaller receivers/poor antenna placement on some models. The difference between the 2 phones above is usually 2-3 bars vs 0-1 bars.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 22, 2015

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I got a friend on verizon... she dropped her droid in the tub and its starting to die after working for a few days.

any recommendations on a decent phone for verizon around 150 dollars?

[edit] I guess she's not eligible for a subsidized phone either... so it would need to be quite cheap off contract. Or a good used phone to look for on swappa that was verizon compliant.

This is to replace a droid razor M which she hates do to being slow and buggy.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 22, 2015

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Wendigee posted:

I got a friend on verizon... she dropped her droid in the tub and its starting to die after working for a few days.

any recommendations on a decent phone for verizon around 150 dollars?

[edit] I guess she's not eligible for a subsidized phone either... so it would need to be quite cheap off contract. Or a good used phone to look for on swappa that was verizon compliant.

This is to replace a droid razor M which she hates do to being slow and buggy.

Moto G, 4G if preferable. It's an extremely solid phone for the price.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

So I'm essentially between an LG G3 and a Nexus 5. I can get a Nexus 5 for about 100 less than a G3, but the G3 is in most ways a more advanced phone. Any suggestions?

If you're considering an LG, you should really buy a G2 for less than either of them. Better battery, better display, same software (more or less) and same camera as G3.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Country/Provider: France/USA
Current contract status: Ting prepaid with an HTC One M7
Budget (phone/plan): $200
Features I know I want: Android. Fast enough for Google Hangouts, Clash of Clans, Facebook, or whatever.

I live in the US and my everyday phone is an M7 that I moved from Sprint to Ting. I have an upcoming business trip that will take me to Europe for a month, most of that time will be in France.

Right now, I'm thinking buy something like a Moto E and finding a prepaid SIM once I get over there. Is this the correct phone? Would it be worth getting the 'Universal' version and just replacing my M7?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

mugrim posted:

First gen? I don't see the second gen available for verizon...

This guy?
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Universal-Unlocked-White/dp/B00K0NS0P4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432266001&sr=8-4&keywords=verizon+moto+g

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

You're better off with Swappa for verizon/sprint devices usually, as no one else in the world can use them, and thus they're cheap as gently caress.

Moto G Swappa

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Just to double check, as long as a device is not carrier locked, all that really matters is whether it has the right radios for the particular area/carrier, yes? I'm just a little thrown off by (for example) the LG G2 having three different models for Canadian, US and "Latin American" markets, because they should basically all be identical in all ways aside from Canadians getting ripped off even worse than Americans. I mean gently caress, the Verizon G2 is a CDMA phone that takes SIM cards and supports GSM networks, to me that alone is crazy. But, I'm trying to recommend a phone for family who need it to work in Canada, the US and Mexico on a permanent basis, obviously SIM swapping is a given and I don't care about perfect LTE reception everywhere (they may not even use data other than in a pinch, so HSPA is definitely fine). They aren't super savvy but may be open to learning, so was thinking a G2, 2013 X or Zenfone 2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mugrim posted:

To my knowledge, the Verizon version is not available with LTE. It would not be a good choice for anyone on that network.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

To my knowledge, the Verizon version is not available with LTE. It would not be a good choice for anyone on that network.
This is accurate. Don't get a Verizon Moto G.

mugrim posted:

You're better off with Swappa for verizon/sprint devices usually, as no one else in the world can use them, and thus they're cheap as gently caress.
This isn't really true anymore, and hasn't been for at least a year or two. Many Verizon phones are shipping with completely unlocked GSM hardware, and Sprint is now unlocking the GSM stuff for domestic use, though I'm not sure what the terms of that is.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
To follow up on my previous question, Is the Moto E 4G LTE usable in both the US and western Europe? Can I put a US T-Mobile SIM in one slot and a prepaid Lebara SIM in the other, and use the same phone in the US and France? Or is it not that simple.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

echo465 posted:

To follow up on my previous question, Is the Moto E 4G LTE usable in both the US and western Europe? Can I put a US T-Mobile SIM in one slot and a prepaid Lebara SIM in the other, and use the same phone in the US and France? Or is it not that simple.

The LTE E does support one of the two main French LTE bands, but EDGE will be your fallback if you run out of that coverage zone. The global GSM E is slower both in performance and network speeds, but it supports European 3G coverage. You'd be better off with the global GSM E if it's just a temporary phone for a month in France.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
What is the state of the art for mildly-active-lifestyle resistance on phones today? Is there anything that comes out of the box that would give me sweat-and-grit-and-drop resistance with a good camera and good UI/app speed and day-long battery life (with GPS running, I like to do 4-5 hour bike rides)?
I currently put my HTC One M7 in a ziploc bag, and it does the job, other than the crap camera and just-barely-enough battery life.
Are the fitness features on the Galaxy S6 any use? or are they entirely gimmicky and better replaced with third party apps and equipment? (if so what?)
How minimal a case will do the job of water-proofing for a non-hardened phone? I very much dislike the idea of buying a skinny phone and putting a fat case on it to get it to do what I will use it for.

I ask about quarterly, and I think last time I resolved to wait for the S6 and G4. They are out now, has the right answer become apparent?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

What is the state of the art for mildly-active-lifestyle resistance on phones today? Is there anything that comes out of the box that would give me sweat-and-grit-and-drop resistance with a good camera and good UI/app speed and day-long battery life (with GPS running, I like to do 4-5 hour bike rides)?
I currently put my HTC One M7 in a ziploc bag, and it does the job, other than the crap camera and just-barely-enough battery life.
Are the fitness features on the Galaxy S6 any use? or are they entirely gimmicky and better replaced with third party apps and equipment? (if so what?)
How minimal a case will do the job of water-proofing for a non-hardened phone? I very much dislike the idea of buying a skinny phone and putting a fat case on it to get it to do what I will use it for.

I ask about quarterly, and I think last time I resolved to wait for the S6 and G4. They are out now, has the right answer become apparent?

My coworker has a Galaxy S5 Active that she positively abuses. It's caseless and she gives no fucks about dropping it in water, snow, or anything. She's had some Samsung issues (the home button misreading every press as long press so instead of Home she gets Google Now which was fixed with an app to intercept long presses was the last one) but in terms of actual, physical abuse I am legit impressed.

The Galaxy S6 Active is supposedly coming soon. There is no way I'd do any of the poo poo she does with her phone with my Nexus 5 even if it was in a case in a ziploc bag in another case.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Country/Provider: Belgium

Current contract status: SIM-only

Budget (phone/plan): 10-15 euro a month, SIM only

Features I know I want:

• No plan, want to keep my SIM only a as I frequently travel through 3 countries and have numbers in each
  • Affordable - 200 euro new, max - or what should I look out for in a second-hand?
  • Android
  • Decent camera
  • Lots of on-phone memory and possibility of adding micro-SD
  • Long-rear end battery life
  • Reasonable music playing quality
  • Sturdy
  • Not much bigger in size than my current HTC desire X

I've bought a HTC Desire X 3 years ago and it's been working out very well for me, but now it's been dropped a few too many times and it's all going a bit wibbly on me.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 26, 2015

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Country/Provider: Belgium

Current contract status: SIM-only

Budget (phone/plan): 10-15 euro a month, SIM only

Features I know I want:

• No plan, want to keep my SIM only a as I frequently travel through 3 countries and have numbers in each
  • Affordable - 200 euro new, max - or what should I look out for in a second-hand?
  • Android
  • Decent camera
  • Lots of on-phone memory and possibility of adding micro-SD
  • Long-rear end battery life
  • Reasonable music playing quality
  • Sturdy
  • Not much bigger in size than my current HTC desire X

I've bought a HTC Desire X 3 years ago and it's been working out very well for me, but now it's been dropped a few too many times and it's all going a bit wibbly on me.

Your best options at your budget are the second-generation Moto G and Moto E (LTE/4G versions). The Moto E is cheaper but uses a newer processor because it's the more recent model.

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 26, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anakha posted:

Your best options at your budget are the second-generation Moto G and Moto E (LTE/4G versions). The Moto E is cheaper but uses a newer processor because it's the more recent model.

He wants a decent camera, though, and neither of those fit that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I just got off the phone with AT&T trying to start a new plan. As we were moving forward with billing details, SSN, etc, I asked them to provide me the exact dollar figure that would be billed to my account and they couldn't tell me. As in had no idea at all. The lady xferred me to her supervisor who was also unable to provide the dollar amount they'd be billing me for the account and that nobody else at AT&T could provide that either.

Is this normal? I haven't set up a wireless account in years (family plan) and this just seems absolutely bizarre. Is T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint this way also? I'm extremely wary of giving someone my credit card number if they can't even tell me what they'll be charging to it.

EDIT: Called Tmobile and they said that they have no issue providing an exact dollar figure for a plan. Must be an ATT thing. Figures.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 26, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

revmoo posted:

So I just got off the phone with AT&T trying to start a new plan. As we were moving forward with billing details, SSN, etc, I asked them to provide me the exact dollar figure that would be billed to my account and they couldn't tell me. As in had no idea at all. The lady xferred me to her supervisor who was also unable to provide the dollar amount they'd be billing me for the account and that nobody else at AT&T could provide that either.

Is this normal? I haven't set up a wireless account in years (family plan) and this just seems absolutely bizarre. Is T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint this way also? I'm extremely wary of giving someone my credit card number if they can't even tell me what they'll be charging to it.

They generally can't due to local taxes and occasional overage charges. Figure on about $15 more than the plan cost and you're usually fine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

LastInLine posted:

They generally can't due to local taxes and occasional overage charges.

And yet somehow they manage to figure out those amounts when it comes time to bill you.

LastInLine posted:

Figure on about $15 more than the plan cost and you're usually fine.

I figured as much, but as a general rule I don't do business with anyone that can't give me a dollar amount before comitting to a contract. Kind of a personal quirk I guess.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

revmoo posted:

Is T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint this way also?
I've not asked for an exact figure up front, but yes there's surcharges on postpaid plans. $7-8/mo/line is about right. Prepaid is not like this though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So new subject; is the S5 Active stil a decent phone? I can get one used for 300 bucks. Or should I hold off a month or two for the S6 active?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

revmoo posted:

And yet somehow they manage to figure out those amounts when it comes time to bill you.

I figured as much, but as a general rule I don't do business with anyone that can't give me a dollar amount before comitting to a contract. Kind of a personal quirk I guess.

I am not arguing with you but in my experience no, they generally genuinely cannot tell you what it will end up.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

LastInLine posted:

I am not arguing with you but in my experience no, they generally genuinely cannot tell you what it will end up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yes, there's a lot of industry consolidation but that really doesn't have anything to do with the extra bit they can't tell you about.

Out of curiosity I looked at my bill as an example. I have:

Federal Universal Service Fund, $0.85 on the plan and $0.11 per line
My state Gross Receipts Surcharge, $0.39 on the plan and $0.04 per line
Local Utility Users Tax, $0.91 on the plan and $0.08 per line
State & Local Sales Tax $1.95 on the plan and $0.18 per line

I have four additional surcharges and taxes that are per line for things like my local 911 service, regulatory fees, etc.

The reason they can't tell you the exact number is because these fees vary by state, county, and city. They'll calculate it all once they have your billing address and they set up the account. I'm sorry but that's just how this works.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

LastInLine posted:

The reason they can't tell you the exact number is because these fees vary by state, county, and city. They'll calculate it all once they have your billing address and they set up the account.

But I was trying to set up the account..

LastInLine posted:

I'm sorry but that's just how this works.

For AT&T, but it's absolutely retarded.

I've been feeling like the smartest man on earth last day or so. Apparently millions of ATT customers are willing to engage in contracts without knowing the price first.

To illustrate how utterly stupid this is, imagine you go to a convenience store for a candy bar. Everyone knows the price on the wrapper is different than what you pay at the register. But imagine a scenario in which you go up to the counter and they just take your credit card and bill it for $??.?? and that mystery number is 30% different than the advertised price.

But whatever, I'm switching to T-Mobile who has no issue at all navigating the murky waters of "tell a customer what the price is before the contract agreement takes place"

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

revmoo posted:

I've been feeling like the smartest man on earth last day or so. Apparently millions of ATT customers are willing to engage in contracts without knowing the price first.

To illustrate how utterly stupid this is, imagine you go to a convenience store for a candy bar. Everyone knows the price on the wrapper is different than what you pay at the register. But imagine a scenario in which you go up to the counter and they just take your credit card and bill it for $??.?? and that mystery number is 30% different than the advertised price.

But whatever, I'm switching to T-Mobile who has no issue at all navigating the murky waters of "tell a customer what the price is before the contract agreement takes place"

I'd go with spergiest. For those millions of people they realize the taxes are the same for every post-paid carrier, so why dwell on only knowing the contract price? Most people after their first cell phone bill know it's going to be $10-15 higher because of taxes and fees.

Your scenario would work if you lived somewhere with 30% sales tax. Granted they'd tell you when paying which AT&T will do when you are billed. Just that AT&T lets you have your candy bar first before paying. So maybe a better analogy is a restaurant somewhere with a 30% sales tax, but where the taxes are much more convoluted than a flat 30%.

I bet T-Mobile lied about the final price of your bill. Let us know in a month when you get your first bill if the number quoted was correct. I'm going to bet it's off by a few dollars.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A good comparison would be cable providers; they all have various bullshit and real fees, surcharges, regulatory tariffs, etc etc. So when I negotiated my account with Time warner and then a magic fee started appearing on my bill for $5 extra a month; I called them and told them to knock it off, it wasn't the number we'd agreed on when I opened the account. Without having an agreed-upon price at the start of a contract agreement, it makes it kind of difficult to reconcile against billing increases in the future.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at my bill as an example. I have:

Federal Universal Service Fund, $0.85 on the plan and $0.11 per line
My state Gross Receipts Surcharge, $0.39 on the plan and $0.04 per line
Local Utility Users Tax, $0.91 on the plan and $0.08 per line
State & Local Sales Tax $1.95 on the plan and $0.18 per line

I have four additional surcharges and taxes that are per line for things like my local 911 service, regulatory fees, etc.

Holy poo poo, and you didn't immediately cancel your contract over that inexcusable bullshit?!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Don't be obtuse, I'm not complaining about having to pay taxes and fees, I'm complaining about AT&Ts policy of not providing the total price of a contract BEFORE the contract begins.

Have to agree to disagree on this subject I guess.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not sure why you'd be signing a contract with them anyway, even AT&T doesn't like contracts anymore.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I'm want to replace my Nexus 4. I want something faster, a better camera and I'm not too happy with glass considering my current phone's back is shattered. Is the LG G4 a good choice?

e: I'm with T-Mobile pre-paid if that makes a difference.

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 27, 2015

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

revmoo posted:

Apparently millions of ATT customers are willing to engage in contracts without knowing the price first.
Phone service has long been so crappy in this country that folks are compromising on bigger factors when selecting a carrier long before getting to "they can't tell me what my exact monthly bill is!" Not saying you're wrong to be miffed, or that it's not absurd. It is, however, not surprising.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

nelson posted:

I'm want to replace my Nexus 4.

Pretty much the same here. It works fine, but I have a GSM unlocked one, and other than having more memory, it gets spanked by a drat $50 Verizon no-contract phone these days. I just flattened it and stuck 5.1.1 on it after 5.1 screwed up the sensor data somehow. OK now, though. :buddy:

I did a W-E-W trip a few days ago w/ friends, and our AT&T phones were useless about 30% of the time. So, whip out the $50 LG and used that for tethering. The pictures were crisp, and it had 4.4 on it, so it wasn't completely worthless.

Country/Provider: ConUS
Current contract status: No contract w/ AT&T MVNOTing prepaid with an HTC One M7
Budget (phone/plan): $50/mo or less (currently paying $28.95 for 500mb/mo data + unlimited rest)
Features I know I want: Android 4.x+. Usable more than a few hundred miles from home.

I'd be happy with something like the Optimus Exceed 2- only with more memory. I really am digging Android 5, but could live with 4.x.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

US, T-Mobile.
No contract
<=$275, preferably down near $200
I want long battery life, good reception, and a durable screen. I had a work S4 for ~9 months and it got scratched all to hell.

I was recommended the Moto X 1st gen, but for T-Mobile it's more expensive than for ATT or Verizon, so I'm wondering if I should be considering other options. If I'm buying used, I want a replaceable battery. I got a used phone last time and the battery went downhill fast after maybe 6 months.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone have experience with the Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen with 4G connection?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The one that's only in Brazil? I'm going to guess very few people if anyone here has used one. I'm sure it's fine if it has the appropriate LTE bands for where you live, but those looks pretty limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The one that's only in Brazil? I'm going to guess very few people if anyone here has used one. I'm sure it's fine if it has the appropriate LTE bands for where you live, but those looks pretty limited.

No, I mean this one. You can get it from Amazon UK ec.