Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If I have to show up in a 30 minute window then it is time for me to find something new.

My prior boss would just let me stay home and watch anime, so long as I got everything fixed.

I meant is it time for you to come on and bitch about insane poo poo until you have a public breakdown. And seriously you are sore because your boss expects you to be working during certain hours? If you are on any sort of team it makes sense for you to have regular hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

K I will do monday (tuesday, we are off monday). Me in space dandy (everything but the wig because that is hot as gently caress).

Didn't I already send you a pic of the PSG cosplayers I work with?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

My new boss says I have to show up between 9-930, can't come in dressed up in cosplay, blocked my anime sites, and says I can't do "not coming into work because I drank too much last night with a vendor".

I need a new job

Awww, look who found out the adult world doesn't care how special and unique you think you are.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

Awww, look who found out the adult world doesn't care how special and unique you think you are.

Well, sometimes it does, the but the key is you have to actually be special and unique.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Thanks but I've already watched an anime that explains all of this

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
special snowflakes melt just the same

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Left Outlook running overnight compacting a user's PST file. Went from 12.5 gigabytes to 10 but the progress bar isn't even at the 50% mark yet, 19 hours later, which works out to 36.5 kB/s. Something seems ... not right about that.

On the upside maybe it will be done before scheduled maintenance on Sunday night?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This makes me happy

http://roadmap.office.com/en-us posted:

Drive Shipping and Network Based Data Import for Office 365
The ability to import data into Office 365 in a quick and easy manner has been a known constraint of Office 365, and a solution for this issue has emerged as a key request from customers. We are working on a solution that will allow quicker imports of data into Exchange Online Archive Mailboxes. You will now be able to import Exchange Online data through PST files into the service without using third party tools. Drive Shipping and Network Based Ingestion options will use Azure-based services to import data. Over time we will be extending this to other data types across Office 365.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Surprise! it was just exchange running in azure all along.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Sickening posted:

Well, are you not paying enough money?

Apparently Iam not.. It's a sad story! I would like to offer more but I can't afford to offer more, so, that's the breaks, I guess

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

K I will do monday (tuesday, we are off monday). Me in space dandy (everything but the wig because that is hot as gently caress).

:toxx:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A3th3r posted:

Apparently Iam not.. It's a sad story! I would like to offer more but I can't afford to offer more, so, that's the breaks, I guess

What were you offering btw?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

A3th3r posted:

If you can't afford to pay reasonable market rates, it's going to be hard to find good staff, especially if the job market for the positions in question is hot in your area. If you can at least get somewhere close to the bottom end of the market rate bracket, you might be able to attract a few decent candidates by offering some good perks like plenty of vacation time, telecommuting, flex time, casual dress code, etc., or even equity if possible, but even those probably won't bring in skilled people if you're paying, say, half the going salary for a position.

You may need to reconsider whether you need this position at all, or the health of your business in general. If this is a critical position that's necessary to provide your product or service, but you don't have the finances to cover paying a reasonable salary for it, then something's gone very wrong somewhere, since labor costs (and the funding for them) should have been accounted for in your business plan.

You could consider outsourcing this work to a contractor or freelancer, though be warned that as with anything, you will get what you pay for. Don't expect to get quality work for pennies, but it may save you money if you don't actually need a full-time employee for the position's workload.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Money going to payroll is money not going to a new boat!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Eh I am done posting on this subforum, it has no more use for me anymore. You don't have to worry about me anymore.

CitizenKain posted:

If that is what you want to think then so be it. But EMC is inviting me for a 3 day event and paying all my stuff for a reason. Man I remember why I stopped posting here, people just want to complain rather then push themselves to the limit and achieve their goals.

Cya SH/SC, when you have 3 threads of people bitching you know something might be wrong.

This is my final post in this subforum.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 24, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Eh I am done posting on this subforum, it has no more use for me anymore. You don't have to worry about me anymore.

If that is what you want to think then so be it. But EMC is inviting me for a 3 day event and paying all my stuff for a reason. Man I remember why I stopped posting here, people just want to complain rather then push themselves to the limit and achieve their goals.

Cya SH/SC, when you have 3 threads of people bitching you know something might be wrong.

It is rare that an image macro is ever really needed. But since you are never coming back it should be fine.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

But EMC is inviting me for a 3 day event and paying all my stuff for a reason. Man I remember why I stopped posting here, people just want to complain rather then push themselves to the limit and achieve their goals.
EMC (or whatevercompany) pays for events and expenses because it's a writeoff promo for them (or potential employee acquisition), peanuts in expenses, etc.

It's ok to be good and professional. This subforum is pretty negative. But "I have to show up on time and dress vaguely professionally" isn't horrible, and you should expect that. This guy works here. We show this at new employee intro to epitomize the "we encourage you to fly your freak flag here" thing. People still show up on time and wear normal clothes.

Saying that you can be talented and professional isn't derogatory.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

A3th3r posted:

tell me about it.. i tried to hire a gfx designer and she rejected me because i wasn't offering her enough money.. I dunno, new grads, you want jobs or not????????

You should be aware that the tech sector is one of the few where candidates can generally afford to reject the "We're job creators, you should be grateful for any scraps we deign to hand out" attitude that some business owners and CEOs apparently espouse. People in these fields do not just want jobs, they want careers, and appropriate compensation to go along with them. The attitude that a skilled, educated candidate should just be happy they're employed for any amount of money is really pretty vile, and if you honestly believe that then I feel comfortable calling you a terrible person to work for.

As dennyk said, if you're really running your business so close to the edge that you literally cannot afford the difference between what you're offering and market rate for a single employee, then I would seriously consider examining your finances and business plan because you have bigger problems than the lack of a graphic designer. For my part, if I were looking for a job and a business came to me with, "We literally cannot afford to pay what you're asking," I have two reactions:

1) Bullshit, we're talking about a few thousand dollars a year, this should not be an issue for any vaguely healthy business of any size, you're lying to save money.
2) If this is really the case, holy poo poo, eject eject eject, the business is on the verge of going under and I do not want to be on board when it does.

Either way, it does not leave a good impression of your company.

Oh Sickening, usually I find your posts needlessly acerbic, but in this instance I'm right beside you helping you wave the flag.

Dilbert: We don't worry about you. We worry about anybody else becoming you.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 24, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

But of course, not wrong with you, it's the three threads full of whiners that have the problem. Got it.

EDIT: Folks, don't be this person. (as if it needed to be said). We have a guy who thinks he's a rock star. While he's technically competent, he's not the outstanding auteur that he thinks he is. And as a result of his poo poo personality, there's plenty of people who are the rock-stars who will go out of their way to put him in his place.

There have been many times he's skated close to having the termination process started due to either not paying attention to details that matter or because his personality can be so acidic at times to outside groups that complaints have made their way back to us via senior staff in a company of thousands.

Right now a few of us have a pool on *how* exactly he's going to self destruct. Like I said, he mostly pulls his weight, except when he doesn't in a spectacular way. His personality is lovely.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 24, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
he is a rock-star resource

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

go3 posted:

he is a rock-star resource

It gets even better. He sent me a PM just to let me know that post made him laugh. Because he doesn't care and all.

Lurking is not the same as leaving.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd like to be negative for a minute, if I could.

Am I gonna miss that guy? Negative.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
~

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 25, 2015

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

DAF you should come work in the bay area. Showing up at work before 11 isn't always required and nobody gives a gently caress how you're dressed. Personally I roam the office with a wizard hat when i'm troubleshooting, and we have a guy that walks barefoot everywhere. You'd probably fit right in here.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

luminalflux posted:

DAF you should come work in the bay area. Showing up at work before 11 isn't always required and nobody gives a gently caress how you're dressed. Personally I roam the office with a wizard hat when i'm troubleshooting, and we have a guy that walks barefoot everywhere. You'd probably fit right in here.

Is that where everyone's job title has "guru" in it? What the hell is a "Gamification Guru" anyway?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Is that where everyone's job title has "guru" in it? What the hell is a "Gamification Guru" anyway?

I wasn't allowed to have "Burrito Reliability Engineer" on my business card :smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is my final post in this subforum.

Mods, please make it so!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
DnF, you went a little too far. Now, I know you're just a gimmick troll.
Cosplay at work? Anime? Little too much.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

luminalflux posted:

I wasn't allowed to have "Burrito Reliability Engineer" on my business card :smith:

Seriously want to give a guy some cards with 'Chief Window Taste Tester'

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

luminalflux posted:

I would unironically drop out of university and move to SF to wear a wizard hat while working on routers and poo poo.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Kazinsal posted:

I would unironically drop out of university and move to SF to wear a wizard hat while working on routers and poo poo.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Kazinsal posted:

You're sadly gonna be depressed when you find out the fedora is the wizard hat of most Linux techs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

You're sadly gonna be depressed when you find out the fedora is the wizard hat of most Linux techs.

We give out fedoras as part of NHO, but maybe we should give them to people who get certs, too

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

What the hell is oregano?

EDIT: this usenet posting says "it referred to an incident in which one of the original writers of BSD was arrested for crossing the canadian border with a bag full of oregano."
That's a bit of an obscure reference for a poster, no?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

You can't leave SH/SC yet, we I need to see your amazing cosplay!

poo poo not pissing me off: outsourced sales competitors taking my bid with a newer customer and fail so bad they have to give the job to us cause they don't know what they are doing. :feelsgood:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure just how accepted Reddit is outside of the Games section of the site nor am I certain this is the right thread to throw this up in (point me at it and I'll put it there), but a friend of mine just linked me to this and (even though I don't work in IT) some of this poo poo is HORRIFYING

I present to you, /r/TechSupportGore

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
There are parts of reddit that aren't terrible.

That one and /r/techsupportmacgyver are pretty good.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
this is probably my favorite one so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luna Was Here posted:

this is probably my favorite one so far