Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

I don't understand why someone with these opinions wouldn't embrace the platform and jump into swift

way, way better than go, and also better than c#

I don't care about stebephone development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gul Banana posted:

we're using the RC rather than wait for that v_v

I will probably suggest as much if we split our codebase before the GM comes out

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pram posted:

like mentioning swift, or c# re: go is completely retarded for a lot of reasons. you aren't writing daemons in either of those. c# deploys to literally nothing useful. idk what bloody or sulk do professionally with that joke lang but its probably poo poo

i use xamarin forms (which is poo poo for reasons that have nothing to do with c#) to write mobile apps that make my company money

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
whole lot of actual companies run .net stuff. it's arguably more of a pleasure to use than java

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm an Erlang weenie and the C# and F# stuff looks pretty cool to me.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I'm amazed someone actually likes rob pike. Everything I've seen written by him makes him come off as an arrogant condescending douche who thinks he's smarter than he his.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I'm an Erlang weenie and the C# and F# stuff looks pretty cool to me.

If c# had maven it would be the best language flat out, but until then it will be forever tied w/ java.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msbuild loving sucks. whoever is responsible for it realized build scripts are stupid but now why they're stupid

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Down at Blue Mountain Capital this week, they work with C#, F# and R and maybe interesting to some people. They make some software that provides R style data frames for .NET (Deedle) and integration of R and F# within Visual Studio (F# R Type Provider) there are some demo videos showing R auto-complete within an F# codebase, kind of like LINQ for SQL.

http://techblog.bluemountaincapital.com

pram
Jun 10, 2001

triple sulk posted:

i use xamarin forms (which is poo poo for reasons that have nothing to do with c#) to write mobile apps that make my company money

lol isnt xamarin forms like the special ed version

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
xamarin is the worst possible argument for c#

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i just realised that my code is naturally obfuscated because of the rediculous variable names and inherent duct tape structure

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pram posted:

lol isnt xamarin forms like the special ed version

i never said it was good. it's mostly if you can get by with common UI elements but want dual platforms

fleshweasel posted:

xamarin is the worst possible argument for c#

if i could be writing asp.net instead i would be

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I mostly use c# for random one off things to talk to microcontrollers but I also used it to roll my own distributed computing system which was deffo one of the cooler things I've worked on

pram
Jun 10, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

I'm amazed someone actually likes rob pike. Everything I've seen written by him makes him come off as an arrogant condescending douche who thinks he's smarter than he his.

huh thats funny. sounds like hed fit in here. maybe someone should buy him an account?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

it has a standard library that does pretty much everything out of the box. and the http server is great.

what's great about the HTTP server?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

I don't understand why someone with these opinions wouldn't embrace the platform and jump into swift

swift will be nice when your whole team doesn't have to stand in a room and click "install" on Xcode updates together

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

umm its great because it takes like two lines of code. and there are cool things like the facebook graceful package that handle graceful forking for you.

https://github.com/facebookgo/grace

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its kind of like rack and unicorn except not ruby and thus a horrible pos

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

umm its great because it takes like two lines of code. and there are cool things like the facebook graceful package that handle graceful forking for you.

https://github.com/facebookgo/grace

ok, I wasn't sure if it was great because it actually had good functionality or because you didn't have to type many characters to get a weak HTTP server running. having to download a 3rd-party package to get graceful shutdown isn't quite where I would put the bar for a great HTTP server, given that even Apache has had that for decades, but it does indeed serve HTTP.

bradfitz's http/2 work will probably be pretty good though, so there's that.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol apache is absolute poo poo idiot

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

y'all being hilariously tori'd

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

If c# had maven it would be the best language flat out, but until then it will be forever tied w/ java.

Java enums are better imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx has graceful shutdown, but youre missing the point. they are only proxies unless you are using mod_*, and always a proxy in nginx unless the content is static. have you ever deployed a web app before?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

lol apache is absolute poo poo idiot

that is exactly my point. it is a pos, but it had simple stuff like clean shutdown built in 20 years ago, unlike go's "great http server".

what kinds of applications have you found go to be good for, yourself? building standalone http services?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes rest services. rpc servers.

it even does templating much like jinja or django, so you can use it like an mvc framework, and that is all in the standard library

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

nginx has graceful shutdown, but youre missing the point. they are only proxies unless you are using mod_*, and always a proxy in nginx unless the content is static. have you ever deployed a web app before?

oh, so graceful shutdown doesn't matter, but it's great that you can get it from a third party. real feather in go's cap.

I have deployed a lot of web apps, going back to before Apache existed.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

it even does templating much like jinja or django, so you can use it like an mvc framework

hmm, that seems good

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the standard library has templating, but map/reduce or generics are unnecessary baggage.

ok, you got me, I'm being trolled.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

oh, so graceful shutdown doesn't matter, but it's great that you can get it from a third party. real feather in go's cap.

I have deployed a lot of web apps, going back to before Apache existed.

you dont get it. it doesnt matter if apache or nginx have graceful shutdown. they are only proxying the connection to the application server. the server itself needs to gracefully handle forking. this is easy in go

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Subjunctive posted:

net/http/pprof is great about the http server but really only underscores that the only use go is intended and suited for is writing micro rest services that read from other rest services and do some trivial transforms on the data and stream out the results (and probably leak some goroutines along the way, lol)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

the standard library has templating, but map/reduce or generics are unnecessary baggage.

ok, you got me, I'm being trolled.

so you don't know anything about go but it just pains your butt that it doesn't have map and reduce in the standard lib? lol get a grip you dork

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

msbuild loving sucks. whoever is responsible for it realized build scripts are stupid but now why they're stupid

MSBuild came from MS seeing that people were using NAnt and decided to replicate it, just like they did with NUnit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

[ask] me about 6502 assembly

you might want to take a look at this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

MSBuild came from MS seeing that people were using NAnt and decided to replicate it, just like they did with NUnit

nant and msbuild are both way the gently caress better than what people were using before. they just look lame and bad compared to maven.

the gap between ant and maven is as big as the gap between makefiles and ant.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"whoa" --neo, the matrix

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

so you don't know anything about go but it just pains your butt that it doesn't have map and reduce in the standard lib? lol get a grip you dork

only being able to write for loops in a modern language is hilarious and bad

for loops are really bad.

i do agree with you about the http server thing though. like when you combine it with something like docker you can get a little web service going really really quickly and that's cool.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I like linq

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

doing things over collections without giving a poo poo about janitoring the collection is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

I like linq

me too, bloody. me too.

• Locked thread