Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Suspect Bucket posted:

I smoked my first pork shoulder today, off of the first pig I've ever butchered. Over mixed oak, maple, and cherry. It shrunk a bit, but it tasted amazing. So much love and cake went into that animal.

I've had a pretty rad birthday.

That looks fantastic. Did you make any sauce for that? I would think a vinegar based sauce would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry I'm confused you smoked a pork shoulder for only 3 hours?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

sellouts posted:

Sorry I'm confused you smoked a pork shoulder for only 3 hours?

It was a pretty small shoulder, bone in, about 3 or 4 lbs. It came from the pig they raised for me, I butchered it myself. I called him Mr. Snacks and fed him special treats like cheese whey and cake. Given the opportunity and equipment, I would like to experiment more with lower temp smoking, particularly in conjunction with charcuterie making, but this in particular was an experience with Logs, Oil Drum, Vent Dont Work Use Tin Foil To Block The Air, and delicious.

This is how my bro Jeff does it, and I will not argue with the results. Real down-home stuff. Would I, as a nosy person of science, prefer wi-fi temperature gauges to tell me exactly what's going on in there, a BGE, and a far lower, slower smoke? Yes. Was this particular experience a little scary, fun, and educational? Hell yes.

We also ate it unsauced. The pork really stood on it's own, very good flavor. I think it may have been slightly tough, as I don't think I allowed enough time for rigor mortis to completely pass, but eh. A light mustard-vinegar sauce would be nice with the little bit of leftovers I carved off the thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's cool. I am thinking it was slightly tough because of the cook time and temp. Figure 1-1.5hr per pound and I think you're right on the cusp of it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Suspect Bucket posted:

It was a pretty small shoulder, bone in, about 3 or 4 lbs. It came from the pig they raised for me, I butchered it myself. I called him Mr. Snacks and fed him special treats like cheese whey and cake. Given the opportunity and equipment, I would like to experiment more with lower temp smoking, particularly in conjunction with charcuterie making, but this in particular was an experience with Logs, Oil Drum, Vent Dont Work Use Tin Foil To Block The Air, and delicious.

This is how my bro Jeff does it, and I will not argue with the results. Real down-home stuff. Would I, as a nosy person of science, prefer wi-fi temperature gauges to tell me exactly what's going on in there, a BGE, and a far lower, slower smoke? Yes. Was this particular experience a little scary, fun, and educational? Hell yes.

We also ate it unsauced. The pork really stood on it's own, very good flavor. I think it may have been slightly tough, as I don't think I allowed enough time for rigor mortis to completely pass, but eh. A light mustard-vinegar sauce would be nice with the little bit of leftovers I carved off the thing.

So long as the people enjoyed eating it; that's all that matters. Just seemed like an odd way to do it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sellouts posted:

That's cool. I am thinking it was slightly tough because of the cook time and temp. Figure 1-1.5hr per pound and I think you're right on the cusp of it.

If his dome thermometer is anything like the one on my WSM a reading of 275 might have been below 250 at the grate.

Still... the toughness was probably the cook time, on something that small I probably would have tried to smoke at closer to 200 to extend the cook time so there's more connective tissue breakdown.

Now, can someone explain to me why everyone in this thread seems to hate putting water in the water pan?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Even at 4lbs I guaranteed you weren't cooking at 225-250 if you finished that fucker in 3 hours. If you're taking your shoulder off before it hits 201 you on drugs son. Take it off past 203 and it turns to sawdust.

BBQ is a fickle mistress.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

Even at 4lbs I guaranteed you weren't cooking at 225-250 if you finished that fucker in 3 hours. If you're taking your shoulder off before it hits 201 you on drugs son. Take it off past 203 and it turns to sawdust.

BBQ is a fickle mistress.

I pull my butts at around 195 and they are always delicious. Don't know what to tell ya :shrug:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Try 201. It's magik.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Try 201. It's magik.

Peak temp isn't really important, all the important chemical processes that govern BBQ are mechanisms of heat over time.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Say what you like, if you never try you will never know the magik.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When you pull at 201 what does it rise to

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Never bothered to measure honestly. I CAN REPORT BACK ON THAT THIS WEEKEND.

I've got another 2 briskets and 4 shoulders that need cooked so I will let you know.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Getting the hang of my new WSM this weekend thanks to the tips from you guys, here's one of Saturdays briskets (its our weird British cut so sorry in advance):

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Don't be sorry for delicious meat.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Love dat bark, dinko! Good work

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

That is indeed a weird cut. Looks delicious though, so who cares?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
:siren: The $10 for 40 lbs of Kingsford Memorial Day Sale is on at Lowe's!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_361268-308-...1&storeId=10151

I bought 200 lbs last year, and I'm just finishing up the last half a bag so perfect timing. :)

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

coronaball posted:

I bought 200 lbs last year, and I'm just finishing up the last half a bag so perfect timing. :)

Thanks for the heads up!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
M

coronaball posted:

My local Costco has the competition 2pack for $15 right now, too. 18lb bags.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

coronaball posted:

This stuff is sold out at every nearby Lowes near me already. God drat.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

coronaball posted:

YES, time to make my car bottom out in the parking lot.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

coronaball posted:

Bought 200 pounds last year and have about 80 left. May pick up a bit more but I'll definitely last until fourth of July sales.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Ship some up north!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Ship some up north!

The shipping costs would be hilarious.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
I still have a shitload left from my last purchase.

TopHatGenius posted:

This stuff is sold out at every nearby Lowes near me already. God drat.

Home Depot generally has the same sale, hit them up.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Home Depot generally has the same sale, hit them up.

This is true for the Home Depots near me.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Ok, going to try a pork shoulder again. This time i will leave the bone in. :P

I got my new thermometer posted above, and I've figured out how to use it. I'll be aiming for an internal temp of 200 for the meat. What temp should I be aiming to keep the smoker at? 220-250ish?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
That's a good temp range. I usually aim for 250 so that it goes a little bit faster.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

coronaball posted:

Thanks for this, I got 200 lbs as well--I noticed they're now 2x18.6 lb bags. Gotta keep it under $10! :rolleyes:

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I'm going to try my hand at smoking some baby back ribs and chicken wings. I'm going to do a rub on both. I don't have a smoker, but a generic "barrel" grill. Just throw some wood chips on some white coals and try to keep the two around 225? Any advice or guides you could link?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Guys I made that wolfe pit beef again yesterday, it continues to impress me every time. it has for sure replaced pulled pork in my spot for shredded meat sandwich fodder.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So i have my pork shoulder on the BBQ now, the cherry smoke is smokin', and the grill is a happy 246 degrees with the food at 46 degrees. i put the meat on at 8 AM, so its been cooking half an hour.

This thermometer is a loving fantastic buy. It is so nice knowing the exact temp, being able to go away from the grill for a few minutes and know whats going on, plus being able to control my temperature so much easier. The on-board gauge is so loving out of whack its reading 75 degrees. no wonder i burned the poo poo out of my last attempt.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
My shoulder is now at 162 and has not hardly moved in almost an hour. I guess I am deep into the stall. hopefully this doesnt last terribly long, as people are coming over soon.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Why not just wrap it? Bark is great and all, but hungry people make me sad.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Cimber posted:

My shoulder is now at 162 and has not hardly moved in almost an hour. I guess I am deep into the stall. hopefully this doesnt last terribly long, as people are coming over soon.

Depending on the size it can last a really long time. Foil it if you want to accelerate.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I just wrapped it in foil, temp has been around 170 for a while, so its time to get the show on the road. Looks good so far!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Sitting at 183 right now, getting closer. Hope we go up to at least 190 before 5:30, which is when I have to take it off to let it rest while the rest of dinner gets cooked.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
You can also put it in a pan , pour about a half a cup of apple juice in the bottom, and put it in the oven at 250-275 (but no higher) if you want a more controlled, accurate cooking environment. The smoke flavor is already on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
took it off at 5:30, let it rest until 6. Final temp was 195. Pulled it and ate it. I didn't hear anything from my guests except the sound of them chewing. Mission success. Half of it is now gone. Had close to 1 inch smoke rings. Will post pictures later.

[edit]
http://imgur.com/a/eQx7Z

I don't feel like editing the pictures to make em fit, look at the drat gallery if interested.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 25, 2015