Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Just finished the Crooksbanks Bog quest chain.

Holy poo poo that was harrowing.

Yeah I think I made the right choice by examining the witches house enough. There's plenty of evidence they're going to eat or sacrifice the children, and if not them then other humans. So I figured if crazy weird demon agreed to save the kids... gently caress it it was worth letting it out whatever it was. At least it was more reasonable than those creepy loving witches. But drat was it a tense scene and the aftermath is terrifying whatever you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, for all that witcher are supposed to be pragmatic fighter that do their utmost to prepare themselves for facing monsters and speak disparagingly of amateurs rushing in to get themselves killed, it is remarkable that none of them ever wear helmets.

I guess it's a line of sight thing

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Calaveron posted:

The viper steel sword has a cat school insignia on its pommel :downs:

To be fair the whole school of the viper is kind of a poo poo show. (witcher 2 spoilers) I mean Letho tried to parry the Slyzard's tail when it states CLEARLY in the witcher's training that you can't, what a fuckin dingus.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess it's a line of sight thing

Yeah, with all the crazy stuff Witchers face, you'd REALLY want peripheral vision.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, if all the starting armor is light and the cat set remains good, it seems like investing one point into the "wear light armor, get bonus" skill right at the start is one of the most economical, yeah? That'd help for people struggling early-game, at least. That's +100% crit damage and +20% fast attack damage right off the bat, for one skill slot, and you can keep wearing light armor all game if you want to. Which reminds me, do the cat/griffin ones look at awesome as that bear one does? Because gently caress stats, fashion's important.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is there any reason to import an actual savegame on PC, instead of just answering the questions?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lambert, you loving... look, you are my witcher bro and I'm with you for whatever, but you need to stop murdering folk all over the drat place. Do it quietly, at least. Our rep is bad enough without this poo poo.

zen death robot posted:

I found some sword that sets people on fire when you hit them with it and it owns

That Daystar? Yeah, that one was fun.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Back To 99 posted:

Is there any reason to import an actual savegame on PC, instead of just answering the questions?

Sweet tattoo if you had one in 2.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a guy somewhere that sells a lot of the starting potion recipes? I have a bunch of enhanced recipes that I never found the regular version for.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Creepy Goat posted:

Non-specific spoilers relating to how different endings come about :

There are only a handful of side-quests that I found that directly affect the ending, and they are quite obvious. The major effect on the ending seems to be how you (Geralt) treat Ciri throughout the game - as this appears to be the basis of how her character develops. In my game she got progressively more hot-headed and frustrated, whereas others have said she came into her own. There's a whole bunch of protective father figure vs wise mentor decisions that ultimately influence Ciri's character.

:ohdear:

I am 100% okay with my failures blowing up Downhollow and letting a Pesta run wild over Velen, but the thought of loving up raising Ciri has me panicking.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
where the heck is a torch? I must have sold it off or something, and apparently Geralt can't figure out how to craft one

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Combat in this game is a funny thing. It's not nearly as fluid and connected feeling as, say, the Souls games, but big moments really tend to stand out.

I was in a bar just doing my thing, fairly new to the game, but a few local bandits that had been drinking queued up a cutscene and basically gave me the chance to walk away or to finish the poo poo they tried to start with me.

I decided I wasn't going to take their poo poo, so the *instant* the cut scene ended and placed me back in control of my character, I hit the button to cast ingii, which happened to hit and stun every one of them. Then I pressed forward and hit the fast attack button a few times, again every attack hitting all four bandits at once. They all died by the time the swing animations stopped, leaving me standing there over the pile of bodies like the giant badass Geralt is.

So basically, in a single moment I went from just standing there to spewing out giant exploding fireballs and whirling around like a goddamn sword tornado, then right back to just standing there like the most care free bro ever, before the blood even finished splattering onto the walls.

GOTY

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 23, 2015

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Sidequest Spoilers:
am I misremembering this or was a dude having a sloppy kiss with a wraith a thing that could happen in the Witcher 2 also?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

slev posted:

Is there a guy somewhere that sells a lot of the starting potion recipes? I have a bunch of enhanced recipes that I never found the regular version for.

Yes, northeast of Oxenfurd is a herbalist hut. He sells a lot of starter potions and bomb recipes.

Sidenote: I really wish items could be consumable from the inventory screen. It's cumbersome to have to swap out potions two at a time. My heart goes out to alchemy speccers.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

theDOWmustflow posted:

Sidenote: I really wish items could be consumable from the inventory screen. It's cumbersome to have to swap out potions two at a time. My heart goes out to alchemy speccers.

But they are. Just press E on the keyboard from the inventory while they are highlighted, don't know what it'd be on the controller.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ZearothK posted:

But they are. Just press E on the keyboard from the inventory while they are highlighted, don't know what it'd be on the controller.

It's X. Handy for that one time in two hours when you need to quaff a Cat.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

slev posted:

I had forgotten about that, was wondering why my Geralt had a neck tattoo.

I must say the world has some of the most natural and realistic terrain in any game ever.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

where the heck is a torch? I must have sold it off or something, and apparently Geralt can't figure out how to craft one

Some of the regular traders (those with just a bag as their icon) tend to sell them.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

End of Baron quest line

That was a hell of a bleak outcome. The mother died anyway and the Bloody Baron hung himself. I don't know who his voice actor is but he did an amazing job with the character and he wasn't just a one dimensional evil wife beater. I suppose Geralt can take solace in the fact that at least the daughter has a shot at turning out okay. It's great how she wasn't a useless damsel in distress and there is hope that she grows up to become a bad rear end Witch Hunter. It really hammers home how the road to Hell is paved with good intentions and even a veteran Witcher such as Geralt can only make his choices and anything beyond that is always completely out of his control.

Anyway, I love how bright and colorful everything, from the locations to the monsters are. And the little storyboard at the end detailing your choices is cool, is that for every area's lead quest line?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Medieval Medic posted:

I must say the world has some of the most natural and realistic terrain in any game ever.

I'm a little disappointed in the forests, myself. The forest in 2 was a bitch to navigate, but it was gorgeous, and it actually looked like a forest. The forests in this game look like a bunch of trees standing beside each other.

e: Succubus with a Welsh accent. Why God, why would you let this abomination live?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 23, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Finished the game last night. Was incredible. Def a must-buy.

Temeria rose again as an independent/vassal state after I smoked Radovid (and the cool spymaster guy :( ). Ciri became a Witcher, and got her own silver sword from Master Oto or whoever to commemorate the event.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 23, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Oh CD Projekt.

Edit:
This quest is pretty funny.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 23, 2015

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

ZearothK posted:

Welp I'm an idiot.

Best I stick to tyromancy.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So to the people saying keep your starting gear, is it all the starting gear or just the chest-piece?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Broken Cog posted:

Oh CD Projekt.

Edit:
This quest is pretty funny.

Thanks

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Are you the one responsible for the stuff on that isle? One of my favourite areas so far. :)

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

:ohdear:

I am 100% okay with my failures blowing up Downhollow and letting a Pesta run wild over Velen, but the thought of loving up raising Ciri has me panicking.

This is the thing, playing blind I made what I felt were all the 'good' (moral) choices and always tried to have Ciri's back and look out for her yet somehow I got literally the worst possible ending to the tale of Geralt of Rivia and only now researching it do I realise, drat, CDPR did something a step above the current standard 'choice' system in RPGs.

Major ending spoilers:
I thought I was protecting her, keeping her safe when all I did was hold her back and frustrate her leading to her being unprepared and reckless. Then Geralt, rightly blaming himself, letting go...

I've never sat and actually reflected on my choices because of a video game. I did everything I believed personally was the right thing, 'what I would do in Geralt's situation', and oh god CDPR showed me how wrong I am :negative:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Broken Cog posted:

Are you the one responsible for the stuff on that isle? One of my favourite areas so far. :)

Just that quest and some points of interest.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Is there a way to make the game window not minimize when you alt tab?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yo Comte! Tell your bosses that the company should release a standalone Gwent game client like Hearthstone. tia

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do I get this treasure? There's a locked thingy in a haystack a ways away from the treasure marker, but that's all I can find.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

How do I get this treasure? There's a locked thingy in a haystack a ways away from the treasure marker, but that's all I can find.

if it's the one I think it is, look for a cellar door on the south side of the area there.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Is there a way to make the game window not minimize when you alt tab?

Is there a windowed fullscreen mode in display options, and if so have you given it a shot? I haven't, I've only played on fullscreen and I can't test it at the moment.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Ravenfood posted:

So, if all the starting armor is light and the cat set remains good, it seems like investing one point into the "wear light armor, get bonus" skill right at the start is one of the most economical, yeah? That'd help for people struggling early-game, at least. That's +100% crit damage and +20% fast attack damage right off the bat, for one skill slot, and you can keep wearing light armor all game if you want to. Which reminds me, do the cat/griffin ones look at awesome as that bear one does? Because gently caress stats, fashion's important.

In my experience light armor is much more common than the other ones. Most of them look like clown costumes though. Also, I wouldn´t stress about spending skill points. I´m level 10 and I make so much money that I could afford 2 respec potions and I still have almost 2k to spare.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

slev posted:

if I remember right I bought a load of the basic oils from keira.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

RandallODim posted:

Just watched the Triss-Yennifer threesome on YouTube and I can confirm it is not a hoax, nor a dream!

It is better than I could have imagined. :allears:

How??

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

In my experience light armor is much more common than the other ones. Most of them look like clown costumes though. Also, I wouldn´t stress about spending skill points. I´m level 10 and I make so much money that I could afford 2 respec potions and I still have almost 2k to spare.

All the more reason to blow that skill point on Cat School Techniques. It wasn't until level 8 that the game has seemed to let up in difficulty (Death March) and it wasn't until about then as well that I even encountered a piece of not-light-armor. Even if I planned on Medium or Heavy armor, had I known how irrelevant the armor types would have been for so much of the game, I definitely would have invested in that talent. It doesn't matter now, since I am building for Signs and actually have a medium (Griffin) armor set, but for anyone getting started, still in White Orchard, or still about level 5, go ahead and get that skill. It will pay for itself, and even if you plan on doing something else in the long run, you can afford to respec by the time it is ever going to matter.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Yo is anyone getting semi frequent stuttering in game on AMD cards? I've got the game installed on an SSD and it loads crazy fast, so that's not the bottleneck, but it kinda frequently stutters when I'm on my horse or whatever. I've tried googling about the issue but most of the advice out there is basically "fix your poo poo". My poo poo is fixed. I'm running an R9 290 with a mixture of ultra and high, runs at about 50-60fps but sticks closer to 60 usually.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Does it make sense to do quests from lowest level to highest, or knock out as many side quests as possible before advancing the main story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Do whatever quest interests you. If it's the main story, then do it till your level is too low to progress, then do sidequests. If you miss something you could always do it on your next playthrough.