Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I didn't even know that was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it' s pretty neat but it' s one of those things where you start out with a $20 SDR stick and keep adding poo poo to make it better and you end up spending enough to have gotten the hackrf in the first place

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ham it UPPPPPPPP *geico humpday voice*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ham it up uP UP

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

the 2n5109 would probably be good through 400+ mhz but youd need a pretty juicy jfet for vhf/uhf i think.

if you guys want to go that direction we can gently caress around with a MMIC preamp. longview chime in here

mini whip is kind of useless for anything above HF, the version i've seen has no voltage gain in the cicuit either

the principle is the same as an e-field probe used in EMC testing, it picks up whatever voltage fields are in the air, the whip element is tiny so it has some capacitive coupling to the ether/free space impedance
since the whip is tiny the capacitive coupling from the fields in the air is also tiny (i.e. high impedance), the JFET acts as a high impedance buffer instead of the normal 50 ohm input of a receiver, the bipolar transistor decreases the output impedance some more to allow it to drive a 50 ohm input

this circuit is lossy, but for LF-low band HF the atmospheric noise levels are huge compared to thermal noise, so the loss actually doesn't matter much since the noise floor coming in will also be high
the noise factor of the JFET amp used obviously matters a bit, the U310 is a pretty good amp in that respect, substitute at your own risk

using the circuit for VHF and up will be much less effective and probably pointless compared to a normal LNA circuit, using a super tiny pickup whip will let the circuit keep working as "normal" but the sensitivity will be poor compared to a piece of wire since at higher frequencies thermal noise is the main limitation
additionally the input capacitance of the JFET will start to matter a lot more, a "perfect" JFET might work better but those don't exist. bootstrapping the input to reduce the capacitance might work up to a point but it's a wasted effort in this case

the PSA4-5043+ from mini circuits is one of the best low noise MMICs on the market for this sort of thing, that + a small discone or just a straight whip is probably the best way to build a VHF+ receiver antenna.
the issue is local FM + cell phone traffic will reduce the sensitivity and cause intermodulation, ideally you want a set of band pass filters on the input to reject the big commercial bands

for the extremely lazy, just get a preamped TV antenna, those small flat ones have preamps and dual band bow-tie antenna designs inside that will do low band VHF + UHF

i could probably spin up a simple app board for the PSA4-5043+ in an hour or two if no one's done it before?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got the mini-whip up to about 21 feet above ground and i now have blastin' fuckin piles of images all the way up through like 3.4 mhz

whatcha think. bcb filter? i love being able to blast in AM broadcast but if it fucks everything lower than 6 mhz it can go

i will say in its defense that HOLY poo poo LONGWAVE i can get like a half dozen nav beacons between 250 and 400 khz

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
you replaced the JFET right? could be that you need to tune the drain current a bit if you're seeing second and third harmonics of the stations and not intermod

the webSDR guys who built this thing also struggled with FM broadcast intermod, so a low pass is also a good idea

issue with making a filter that goes before the JFET is it's very difficult to know the source impedance of the antenna so a 50 ohm filter won't work at all, but if the JFET is operating at a good bias point it shouldn't really struggle that much with AM

maybe try checking it for distortion in the LW band using a signal generator and scope?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i got no test equipment besides a fluke copy :P

I like the drain current idea. ill swap out the resistor and see if maybe i can get it to be a bit more sane.

other than that i'm fuckin' tickled with this thing. gonna build sniep one and throw it on his little sw receiver, its got an rf gain iirc so i think he'll be okay

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hey radio guys I have my scanner streaming if you're interested. I Can't say sometihng interesting will happen though

http://www.livestream.com/spleens

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
man nothing is happening tonight

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

that's what you don't want to see right?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

that's what you don't want to see right?

yeah you're not gonna be able to get to the pins through that resin blob

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you wanna go caveman with a hair dryer/heat gun you can get it off without /too/ much trouble. guess what we dont own any more

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

if you wanna go caveman with a hair dryer/heat gun you can get it off without /too/ much trouble. guess what we dont own any more

eyebrows?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

note: you may also desolder everything on the board

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

note: you may also desolder everything on the board

and nothing of value was lost

but yeah the epoxy is a bitch move. i realllllllly wish i could find a source for these gd usb sound sticks without epoxy on the chip cause it'd be literally $5 to build packet interfaces (instead of $10 lol)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats the chip underneath and does digikey not sell it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they do but augh i am not good at pcb fabrication

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181149857401?lpid=82&chn=ps

i would totally do a usb board with this thing and proper ham radio outputs, send it off to oshpark and fab them up and mail them out to you guys if yall can help me lay out a board for this

there is a company that has done this but they want bigfuckingmoney for a $2 sound controller and some pcb work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

which parts of the process

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if its literally just layout i'd be happy to lay out the yosboard if you give me a diptrace schematic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
all i know is my Acquired From Dubious Means copy of electronics workbench 10.0

i will start poking thru the suggestions yall have dropped over the past bit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in the meantime check this out

http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/usb_fob_modification/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291156304476

lets try these. i'll order 2 and see what the score is

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it would be way cooler if those had solder mask that said "yospos, bitch" on one side and the goat man on the other.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:barf:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
this is some impressively bad soldering

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

I'm the single not-cold-joint in the whole pic

also DALE

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dale is good

That project isn't

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

Dale is good

That project isn't

honestly I am not even familiar with parts brands it just was something I'm the

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm the gobs of sticky translucent white substance

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

I'm the gobs of sticky translucent white substance

But enough about your posting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahahah lmao

i'm the grommet for the usb cable with zero strain relief on the inside so the cables's gonna pull out anyway DUDE WHY DIDNT YOU JUST USE A USB EXTENSION THERE

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
i'm the wire stripped with human teeth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like did he f up the solder joints on that electrolytic by the green jack just out of spite or what

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
AX.25 Murderer

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Sniep posted:

AX.25 Murderer

mods pls

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i think i have now every permutation of 12vdc to powerpole and powerpole to (x)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
might flick it on for this coming up in a few

last night i had good copy of the CW beacon from HO-68, and listened to a couple hams talking on ao-73. i still need more antenna height and better antennas and coax tho.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I didn't realize that so many people were into radio here.
Sorta been studying and taking practice questions for a technician license.

Some stuff is easier to remember, like announce your callsign every 10m.
Other stuff, like what frequencies you're allowed to operate in, and translating 5m, 2m, etc to frequency ranges, more annoying to memorize. Realistically I'd just have a cheat sheet before turning on the radio.

How important is it to memorize all the numbers to pass a test? The concepts are easier and common sense.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
threw a wine-cork-style dipole ads-b antenna (same design as that idiot that doesn't understand the CAP theorem's) together, and it's way way way better than the big-rear end coaxial collinear antenna i built

left one is the dipole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I didn't realize that so many people were into radio here.
Sorta been studying and taking practice questions for a technician license.

Some stuff is easier to remember, like announce your callsign every 10m.
Other stuff, like what frequencies you're allowed to operate in, and translating 5m, 2m, etc to frequency ranges, more annoying to memorize. Realistically I'd just have a cheat sheet before turning on the radio.

How important is it to memorize all the numbers to pass a test? The concepts are easier and common sense.

yeah don't sweat the numbers too much. only a couple of questions on your exam will be about that. hamstudy.org is your friend

• Locked thread