Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was up against four rollers for one round. Cue the deep strategy of "walk backwards while shooting as the roller desperately tries to run me over."

I learned that if your fighting head like that, stop rolling and start shaking because by the time they notice their hitting nothing but ground, SPLAT and their gone.

It also fun to stick Suction Bombs behind people and get them to walk backward into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think good splat roller play depends on smart use of your sub weapon and stealth, but those things are pretty hard to get good at, at least initially. I think we'll see some pretty sweet roller play once people have spent some time with the game.

Stealth especially because nobody can see you shooting from around the corner, like you can them, so it makes it much better for hitting people in those sorts of areas.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I spent most of the second hour in a hell lobby with 4 people and the timer resetting every 20-30 seconds so I couldn't get out to try a different one... there really needs to be an escape button if the timer can reset ever.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 24, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would like to say how insanely great the kid <-> squid thing is. Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS had a similar thing where everyone had an alt-form that could move faster and was still able to do some combat, but I don't think the game took full advantage of it. Adding the stealth to it is also insanely great and allows a lot of opportunities for sneakiness. It makes things interesting like how it's almost impossible to chase down someone with a splat roller, because they stop you from squidding up behind them because you can't get through their ink, so that's an interesting facet to the weapon that isn't a part of its stats at all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It took less than an hour for Nintendo to make matchmaking work after it was broken. That took 343 months when it happened to Halo MCC.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Suaimhneas posted:

The smart roller runs from enemies and spends their time painting empty corners of the map, then heads for the enemies once the Killer Wail is charged

This is the only thing I was good at so it's what I kept doing

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Spacebump posted:

It took less than an hour for Nintendo to make matchmaking work after it was broken. That took 343 months when it happened to Halo MCC.

You can't say that in past tense until 343 actually fixes Halo MCC.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I don't think that game has been out for that long.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game is ridiculously intense when it's two teams that know what they're doing. My last game was almost equal.

I want to see pro level Splatoon become a thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemming posted:

I don't think that game has been out for that long.

Came out in November. And it only very recently hit a point where I would say it'd be acceptable for launch, i.e. everything mostly working with some weirdness. MCC was straight up broken for ages.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jivjov posted:

Came out in November. And it only very recently hit a point where I would say it'd be acceptable for launch, i.e. everything mostly working with some weirdness. MCC was straight up broken for ages.

I was pretending he said it took them 343 months to fix the game rather than it took a few months for the game studio 343 to fix the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nintendo released a extended song

A tutorial song, great.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It's miles better than the squid kid one, though.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Disappointing lack of squid/kid comparisons.

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's miles better than the squid kid one, though.

Wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there a list of all the weapons in the full game/what they do?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

Is there a list of all the weapons in the full game/what they do?

Nothing definitive, but the wikia has a collection of what's been shown so far http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Main_Weapons

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Found this gem on the splatoon tumblr today.

Squid Research Lab posted:

So, I bought some dried squid snacks at the corner store. They’re pretty delish, but they’re too tough for most peoples’ taste. Here’s a pro-tip: dried squid is pretty hard to chew with your molars, so try grinding it up with your front teeth until it gets softer. How is this going to help you in Splatoon? I dunno, but it tastes great!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I reset the demo right before the testfire ended so i could play around in the tutorial more. Mostly just to admire the skybox and areas in the game, and all the awesome texture work. The ink itself also looks really good

I think im good until the full release now.(covering trees with ink is a pain)

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Not really much of a "global" stress test, as where I am (Hong Kong) it started at 6am on a Sunday.

i'm interested in the game, but not enough to miss out on my weekend lie-in. It is therefore kind of depressing to see that the servers still couldn't cope. What's the deal with one hour here and there anyway? How much can you really test on a global scale in one hour?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rabelais D posted:

Not really much of a "global" stress test, as where I am (Hong Kong) it started at 6am on a Sunday.

i'm interested in the game, but not enough to miss out on my weekend lie-in. It is therefore kind of depressing to see that the servers still couldn't cope. What's the deal with one hour here and there anyway? How much can you really test on a global scale in one hour?

It's to encourage as many people to be playing at one time as possible. It's not meant to simulate the actual stress the servers will be put under. It's more of a "worst case scenario" where everyone logs in at once for some reason.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

CuddlyZombie posted:

Nothing definitive, but the wikia has a collection of what's been shown so far http://splatoon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Main_Weapons

I think I'm really going to like this gun.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Rocketlex posted:

It's to encourage as many people to be playing at one time as possible. It's not meant to simulate the actual stress the servers will be put under. It's more of a "worst case scenario" where everyone logs in at once for some reason.

This makes sense, thanks. I just wish they had a few more time windows over the next few days then, like in the first demo period.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Rocketlex posted:

Like say, at launch. That's definitely gonna be the worst time for the servers until things calm down.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Someone on the wiki pointed this out, but the Super Sea Snail is basically a Super Mushroom in a shell. :3:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Fetus posted:

Like say, at launch. That's definitely gonna be the worst time for the servers until things calm down.

Yea if today was a hint at what that will be like I'll probably just wait until the afternoon or something to get in. They obviously know how to handle it when the poo poo hits the fan going by how smooth the extended hour was (for me at least) but yea, the initial rush of basically everyone who likes the game going all "I WANT TO PLAY NOOOOOOOOOW" is gonna be badtimes.

Rocketlex posted:

Someone on the wiki pointed this out, but the Super Sea Snail is basically a Super Mushroom in a shell. :3:

aaaaaaaagh this game :kimchi:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Also, video game wikis are my favorite thing in the world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This song, like all the Splatoon commercial songs, owns.

Hopefully there's an extended version of the Squid Kid song.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rocketlex posted:

Also, video game wikis are my favorite thing in the world.

They don't die in the game, they just go to the respawn point, geez!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I destroyed some nerds. It was fun.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Rabelais D posted:

This makes sense, thanks. I just wish they had a few more time windows over the next few days then, like in the first demo period.

if they had more time windows it wouldn't be as much of a stress test because server load would be more spread out.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The scoring system in this game is really great. I love that it greatly benefits you more to cover ground than to splat the other team. I had a round where I had 6 splats to 3 deaths and a teammate that had 14 splats to 1 death and I still won out in points because I was actually trying to win the turf part of turf war instead of being Rambo.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I love that two rollers running into each other is an immediate double KO. It's very slapstick, and fits well with the cartoonish design of the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Suaimhneas posted:

The smart roller runs from enemies and spends their time painting empty corners of the map, then heads for the enemies once the Killer Wail is charged

This was my girlfriend's strategy and she was usually top scorer on her team.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

The scoring system in this game is really great. I love that it greatly benefits you more to cover ground than to splat the other team. I had a round where I had 6 splats to 3 deaths and a teammate that had 14 splats to 1 death and I still won out in points because I was actually trying to win the turf part of turf war instead of being Rambo.

The best part is that if you're like me and poo poo at aiming, You're still a benefit to your team by all your missed shots hitting the ground and covering it in ink. Yay im helping!

Suaimhneas posted:

And the really smart roller finds the other team's roller doing this and stands just out of view from behind covering up all the other guy's work and then killing him when he stops to recharge ink.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Walmart canceled my amiibo 3 pack order :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

deepshock posted:

I love that two rollers running into each other is an immediate double KO. It's very slapstick, and fits well with the cartoonish design of the game.

That's probably my favorite part of playing a roller, chasing down other rollers. Or, even better, turning a blind corner into another rolller and just laughing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I recorded my testfire footage. it's mostly splattershot jr. with one really bad splat charger round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwNwjeLQmo

Also here's a quadrasplat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJY3Pl3iYw

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
My last match was against an all roller team in the warehouse, so I just went on the boxes in the middle and controlled that area. They eventually wizened up and got me with a Killer Wail, but by that time they couldn't have made a comeback.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I enjoyed mostly owning face. I don't see me ever using the charger weapons though just isn't my style. But someone was good with it I wanna friend that person they were good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm gonna be all about the blaster and jet squelcher in the final game.

Can't wait. Thursday? Sweet.

• Locked thread