Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

In Win 8.1 you can connect to a wifi from the login screen.
How does this handle portals that require accepting things on a webpage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

In Win 8.1 you can connect to a wifi from the login screen.
How does this handle portals that require accepting things on a webpage?

picturing this in a gif where they go to the help menu and about and click some button then a context menu on another button for a differnet help and w/e on and on until they are at the desktop, all over again

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Sniep posted:

picturing this in a gif where they go to the help menu and about and click some button then a context menu on another button for a differnet help and w/e on and on until they are at the desktop, all over again

tested.

youll need a local user to go to the page and press the accept, or whatever.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the vnc server included with os x is awful, does anyone have any suggestions for a better one

asking for a friend, and i dont mean something like splashtop (i use it on my own mac and it owns), i mean just a vnc server or i guess rdp. there definitely is a rdp server for os x but i dont remember what its called

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I recommend RDP, the award winning technology from Microsoft

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the first time i used rdp, i was blown away. "i'm controlling a machine in india, and it's not laggy and slow!" :neckbeard:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if its available on os x, the award winning operating system from apple (and best os), i will give it a shot as well as possibly recommend it to my friend! and hell, maybe other friends, who knows but lets not get wild and crazy here

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i dont like how a lot of mac software has dumb cutesy names like "chicken of the vnc" like that's the name. that's what you call it. there's no other way to refer to it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i dont like how a lot of mac software has dumb cutesy names like "chicken of the vnc" like that's the name. that's what you call it. there's no other way to refer to it

the pinnacle of this was when os x first came out there was a program to control itunes from a different computer called "iham on irye"

:allears:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

mac users are unique and special snowflakes

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
tonight i should be trying to boot up a windows hard drive that is now in a new computer with a new motherboard, et cetera. am i going to be able to log in and just get nagged by microsoft until i reregister things, or is it going to not even boot at all? :ohdear:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

mac users are "special"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

prefect posted:

tonight i should be trying to boot up a windows hard drive that is now in a new computer with a new motherboard, et cetera. am i going to be able to log in and just get nagged by microsoft until i reregister things, or is it going to not even boot at all? :ohdear:

it will probably work but since windows is a terrible piece of poo poo you should reinstall it asap or better yet use a different os.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
My wife spilled some coffee on her keyboard (Corsair K70, uses Cherry MX Reds). She wiped it off immediately and I don't see where any liquid could have gotten into the electronic bits. However when she rebooted the computer acts like keys are stuck (goes into command prompt diag options, keeps on hitting return). Scroll lock keeps flashing, which on these keyboards is supposed to mean it's in BIOS mode. BIOS mode switch was never fooled with.

Are mechanical boards more sensitive to liquid intrusion? It's not like this is the first time either of us have spilled something on a keyboard but none of the membrane types seemed bothered as long as you dried them off quickly.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

prefect posted:

it might not have drivers for stuff and windows sets up a lot of the configuration at install time so it might not boot, but my knowledge might also be out of date, the last time i did that was early windows xp

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

My wife spilled some coffee on her keyboard (Corsair K70, uses Cherry MX Reds). She wiped it off immediately and I don't see where any liquid could have gotten into the electronic bits. However when she rebooted the computer acts like keys are stuck (goes into command prompt diag options, keeps on hitting return). Scroll lock keeps flashing, which on these keyboards is supposed to mean it's in BIOS mode. BIOS mode switch was never fooled with.

Are mechanical boards more sensitive to liquid intrusion? It's not like this is the first time either of us have spilled something on a keyboard but none of the membrane types seemed bothered as long as you dried them off quickly.

I had the same thing happen and the moisture got between the red bit (well, in my case brown) and the black surround of the button and fuxked everything up

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spankmeister posted:

I had the same thing happen and the moisture got between the red bit (well, in my case brown) and the black surround of the button and fuxked everything up

That's fuckin' weird. It was a tiny splash and I don't even know how it would get into the switch.

fake edit: she just plugged it back in and it's working fine. I guess it just had a switch that needed to dry out? IDK. Either way +1 for Corsair boards being durable I guess

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

it may not work at all but if you do boot into windows it's going to complain a lot. and why are you swapping around your hard drive, didn't you just build a new computer

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Panty Saluter posted:

That's fuckin' weird. It was a tiny splash and I don't even know how it would get into the switch.

fake edit: she just plugged it back in and it's working fine. I guess it just had a switch that needed to dry out? IDK. Either way +1 for Corsair boards being durable I guess

keycapillary action

prefect it might nag u but it will most likely start up ok

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

it may not work at all but if you do boot into windows it's going to complain a lot. and why are you swapping around your hard drive, didn't you just build a new computer

i'm basically replacing everything except the hard drives, which i want to carry over from my last machine. if i have to do a bunch of windows reconfiguring, that's no problem; i'd just rather not have to start from blankness

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

i'm basically replacing everything except the hard drives, which i want to carry over from my last machine. if i have to do a bunch of windows reconfiguring, that's no problem; i'd just rather not have to start from blankness
if you ever have a choice between reinstalling windows from scratch and not, the best option is always, always going to be reinstalling windows from scratch

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

if you ever have a choice between reinstalling windows from scratch and not, the best option is always, always hurrrrrrr a non-microsoft operation system

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

if you ever have a choice between reinstalling windows from scratch and not, the best option is always, always going to be reinstalling windows from scratch

also, i'm pretty sure i don't know where my windows installation cd from last time is :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

also, i'm pretty sure i don't know where my windows installation cd from last time is :v:
download an iso from wherever the digitalriver copies went to (here is one mirror) and then burn the iso to a usb stick https://rufus.akeo.ie/

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 22, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the osx MS rdp client is good

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Captain Foo posted:

the osx MS rdp client is good

too bad they don't make an RDP server for osx, cause lolvnc

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
srs question: i am looking for the most lightweight linux distribution possible. but includes the kernel, bash, and a packaging system... the rest i can emulate through busybox. i am working on a linux distro (lol i want to die) for routing. if possible, is there a lightweight distro that contains: kernel, bash, basic package system (even if its an offshoot of another distros, in order to install basic tools). i am trying to avoid LFS if at all possible to save time.

also pls forgive me, i havent ever built a linux distro by hand unless it includes gentoo, and am a retard babby

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

du -hast posted:

srs question: i am looking for the most lightweight linux distribution possible. but includes the kernel, bash, and a packaging system... the rest i can emulate through busybox. i am working on a linux distro (lol i want to die) for routing. if possible, is there a lightweight distro that contains: kernel, bash, basic package system (even if its an offshoot of another distros, in order to install basic tools). i am trying to avoid LFS if at all possible to save time.

also pls forgive me, i havent ever built a linux distro by hand unless it includes gentoo, and am a retard babby

doesnt crunchbang accomplish this?

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
wow i never knew that existed

thanks fishmech

also: if possible, can you recommend one that has an ARM architecture available? I forgot to mention that I am hoping to runs this on the raspberry pi as well

either way openbox does the trick for the most part

edit: thats more lightweight than the options that the raspberry noobs thing provides

edit2: i looked at crunchbang and it seems like its the opposite of where i am trying to go: a layer on top of debian. i am looking to go more towards a layer under debian if that makes sense

du -hast fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 22, 2015

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

prefect posted:

the first time i used rdp, i was blown away. "i'm controlling a machine in india, and it's not laggy and slow!" :neckbeard:

except it totally is

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

du -hast posted:

thanks fishmech

also: if possible, can you recommend one that has an ARM architecture available? I forgot to mention that I am hoping to runs this on the raspberry pi as well

edit: thats more lightweight than the options that the raspberry noobs thing provides

edit2: i looked at crunchbang and it seems like its the opposite of where i am trying to go: a layer on top of debian. i am looking to go more towards a layer under debian if that makes sense

archarm might work but it seems like a really bad idea to use a raspberry pi as a router

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

if it can run quagga, it's a router. :downs:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

prefect posted:

i'm basically replacing everything except the hard drives,

if your operating system is still on a conventional hard drive, please throw it away and replace it with an SSD

thank you

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

the pinnacle of this was when os x first came out there was a program to control itunes from a different computer called "iham on irye"

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFQ0puNIXug

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SO DEMANDING posted:

if your operating system is still on a conventional hard drive, please throw it away and replace it with an SSD

thank you

ja

especially since a really nice ssd is cheap these days

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-372-_-Product

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

if it can run quagga, it's a router. :downs:

there was a cool nanog thread the other day about cheap software routers and they're not in a great state it seems even on brand new xeons you can only push 4gbps and it falls over if you get into tons of small packets (ie ddos scenario)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

du -hast posted:

thanks fishmech

i literally do this for a living. you want either openwrt or buildroot (which is used by wrt but modified)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

there was a cool nanog thread the other day about cheap software routers and they're not in a great state it seems even on brand new xeons you can only push 4gbps and it falls over if you get into tons of small packets (ie ddos scenario)

you can run quagga to do all the routing protocols and fill the routing tables but have the actual routing done in h/w using something like openflow

but you should probably just buy a real router

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
actual routers have trouble pushing packets over NAT without hw acceleration so yeah pick up something that runs openwrt and do the rest yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

you can run quagga to do all the routing protocols and fill the routing tables but have the actual routing done in h/w using something like openflow

but you should probably just buy a real router

i did my final year project on openflow and back then it seemed like a solution looking for a problem has that changed?