Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dude is entitled to make money on the project he's invested time and effort into, I am not obligated to observe the ad.

But looking at it won't do anything. Christ I've logged in and out a bunch today due to network issues and I only noticed it after you made mention of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dude is entitled to make money on the project he's invested time and effort into, I am not obligated to observe the ad.

you get amazingly grumpy over things that don't matter

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SpaceDrake posted:

There's no "super self-heals" class quite like the Death Knight of Warcraft

Scholar. The answer is always Scholar.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oneavi posted:

you get amazingly grumpy over things that don't matter

Not grumpy. It's just a matter-of-fact. I only used Voldemort for hunt notifications to get Alex faster. Now that I'm done, there's nothing else that can't be done through alternatives.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Can you be done with this thread and stop posting

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Not grumpy. It's just a matter-of-fact. I only used Voldemort for hunt notifications to get Alex faster. Now that I'm done, there's nothing else that can't be done through alternatives.

What? No it isn't.

Why do you call it Voldemort anyway? Did it kill your parents? Did it kill my parents? :ohdear:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stop calling it Voldemort or better yet

Doublestep posted:

stop posting

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

SwissArmyDruid posted:

if only you posting wasn't a matter-of-fact

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
This is the best thread, except when it is the worst.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What the gently caress is Voldemort

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Countblanc posted:

You know who. :ssh:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Countblanc posted:

SwissArmyDruid is autistic about Guildwork.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Your Computer posted:

Another question (I'm on a roll), I'm getting a really bad framerate and I have no idea why. I have a GeForce 670 GTX and an i5 3570K which should be more than good enough for a game that looks like it's from 2008 :confused: The difference between the highest graphical setting and the lowest isn't even 10 fps, so I'm hovering around 30-40 in the trade district of Limsa. Two monitors, no throttling, nothing but FF and antivirus running, freshly updated drivers. What's going on?

e: fullscreen/windowed makes no difference, no settings except for shadows have an fps impact (???), and even then it's just ~5 fps difference. ~20% cpu usage and like 1/4 of my RAM.

This exact thing happened to me when issues with the CPU fan caused the processor to overheat and throttle itself down to avoid lighting itself on fire. Whether or not your processor is also trying to not light itself on fire, it does seem likely that CPU is your bottleneck.

Your Computer posted:

There are so many ways to get EXP that I'm getting kinda swamped. I tend to be a bit completionist, so I've done every quest I see, every hunting log entry and every FATE I come across but I'm starting to worry that I'm going to completely outlevel zones way before I see the interesting stuff. I'm pretty into lore, which is why I like doing as many quests as I can :ohdear:

Goons love to recommend that you save side quests, but there's little to no benefit. You should change into a new class in each main city to do the starter quests there, but beyond that just do any quests you come across regardless of level. Exp is the least important part of side quests, and dungeons/FATEs/leves are so fast that it would be a net loss to bother on an alt class anyway.

The main story has a few level jumps in the 40s, so being overleveled is a good thing. You're not likely to cap too early, and it's not a big loss even if you do.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

seorin posted:

Goons love to recommend that you save side quests, but there's little to no benefit. You should change into a new class in each main city to do the starter quests there, but beyond that just do any quests you come across regardless of level. Exp is the least important part of side quests, and dungeons/FATEs/leves are so fast that it would be a net loss to bother on an alt class anyway.

Yeah, don't consider hanging on to side quests for a single instant. I left some for side classes and now that I have everything to 50 I have a bunch of side quests sitting around that I never bothered to do because they're bullshit beyond your first class. Just do everything.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Doublestep posted:

Can you be done with this thread and stop posting

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

seorin posted:

buncha stuff
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

seorin posted:

This exact thing happened to me when issues with the CPU fan caused the processor to overheat and throttle itself down to avoid lighting itself on fire. Whether or not your processor is also trying to not light itself on fire, it does seem likely that CPU is your bottleneck.

That's.... probably exactly what it is then :aaa: I was worried about my CPU temperature earlier in a different game because the fan has been incredibly loud lately. Trying to not light itself on fire sounds like an apt description.
I do not look forward to dissemble it, I always fear that I'll gently caress something up and be computerless :negative:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Saving side quests made (more) sense before they buffed dungeon XP.

Now it really doesn't. With the challenge log and the roulettes, there's no good reason to sit on side quests. I'd still say don't bother with side quests that are way below your current level: you might as well do them later when they might give you something useful. But other than that, don't bother saving side quests. Just do them as you run into them.

(If you don't, you might miss your introduction to Godbert, and that would be terrible.)

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Watching the latest videos again, I've noticed Alphinaud has a new outfit for Heavensward that doesn't have super stupid gaps all over the place. So hey improvement!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Onion Lala's are the best lalas

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

dreffen posted:

Onion Lala's are the best lalas
DUB-H reppin' Good Hat Crew.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Your Computer posted:

Oh, huh. I thought it was more like a date than a time, in that case I guess I'll just faff about until it's open. What are the "OTHER GROUPS"? Just guilds or w/e that have advertised in this thread?

Other groups are those of us playing on other servers. My FC on Cactuar (The Scratching Post) is made up of a handful of goons, real life friends and spouses and a few random people from the server. Fun casual group peppered with some raiders.

We also recently bought a kickin rad large house in the Goblet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress you goddamn primadonna.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kortel posted:

Other groups are those of us playing on other servers. My FC on Cactuar (The Scratching Post) is made up of a handful of goons, real life friends and spouses and a few random people from the server. Fun casual group peppered with some raiders.

We also recently bought a kickin rad large house in the Goblet.

We also have a group on Balmung, just a ls not FC though. But we are cool and not creepy I promise. (Balmung is probably harder to get onto than Excal though)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Eimi posted:

We also have a group on Balmung, just a ls not FC though. But we are cool and not creepy I promise. (Balmung is probably harder to get onto than Excal though)

balmung's official HOTS linkshell

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Voldemort? Really?

:goonsay:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Spend 20 minutes sloooowly killing Cancer with 3 other people, earn the achievement, immediately crash. I think that's a sign.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
I thought subjecting myself to TEX again for the sake of an FC-mate's clear would be worthwhile and not as painful as the last time.

I was a fool. By the third wipe the rest of the party was getting so irritated and people weren't stacking properly and I STILL can't loving get out of weight of the land aoes before the meter fills. It was just terribly anxiety-inducing and I'm usually someone who's like "LOL IT'S JUST A GAME CALM DOWN" but. God. gently caress this fight. I want that loving pony but I hate this fight so much.

e: also, we didn't clear, they vote abandoned.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Any changes you can think of? I feel like weirder boots would help but I don't have any.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thumbtacks posted:

Any changes you can think of? I feel like weirder boots would help but I don't have any.

Don't be a lala.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't be a lala.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

SpaceDrake posted:

The DPS queues can get a bit long on off-hours, but not too brutal - certainly never an hour.

This is absolutely not true, very often you can run up against 60m+ queues for regular content as a DPS, especially if you're playing during off-hours. Luckily there's a fair amount of other things you can do while waiting to get into a dungeon, but it's just as bad here as any other MMO that uses this system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The longest queue I ever had was 90mins for T4 during the worst possible time as a DSPS, compared to when I spent over two hours in queue for a dungeon as a healer in TOR. But generally I don't see DPS queues for anything get past 40m.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's especially bad in this game, because it has a tank/healer to DPS ratio of 2:2. WoW is 2:4 if I remember it right.

It would be interesting to have a system where each DPS class could either replace half a tank or half a healer.

Edit: In the case of FF14 4 DPS could enter a dungeon, but two of them would have to tank switch and the other two would have to coordinate heals.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know goons probably hate lalafell, but lalafell marauder is just too hilarious

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Awwww. :3:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I know goons probably hate lalafell, but lalafell marauder is just too hilarious

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

I don't think "goons" in general hate lalafells, it's just a vocal minority that like to take the occasional potshot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It's especially bad in this game, because it has a tank/healer to DPS ratio of 2:2. WoW is 2:4 if I remember it right.

It would be interesting to have a system where each DPS class could either replace half a tank or half a healer.

Edit: In the case of FF14 4 DPS could enter a dungeon, but two of them would have to tank switch and the other two would have to coordinate heals.

I haven't played yet but doesn't the whole 1 character = all classes thing let you do just that? Or am I reading the system wrong? Wait do I need to have 50 sets of gear for my 50 classes or do they all switch stats like wow does now? Without playing ffxiv yet I kinda read the class system like having access to every single spec in wow terms and jobs sounded like choosing talents. So I can just queue as all 3 roles and then do whatever class I get queued in for?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I haven't played yet but doesn't the whole 1 character = all classes thing let you do just that? Or am I reading the system wrong? Wait do I need to have 50 sets of gear for my 50 classes or do they all switch stats like wow does now? Without playing ffxiv yet I kinda read the class system like having access to every single spec in wow terms and jobs sounded like choosing talents. So I can just queue as all 3 roles and then do whatever class I get queued in for?

The problem as always is, that everyone wants to play DPS.

And yes, you have different sets of equipments for your classes. There is some overlap though.

And you queue as one class/job and have to stick with this class/job throughout the dungeon/raid.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pretty much the reason the "armory chest" exists in addition to your standard inventory is because your different classes need different gear.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When/if I decide to buy, would the 10€ squenix store version suffice? Or will the expansion be required?

Also, is it an issue if my account is registered for a different country than what I'm in (for billing purposes)? :v: I guess I picked UK when I registered, but I don't live there.

• Locked thread