Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Is it okay to say I really don't know. At this point I'm kind of leaning towards getting out after sea tour.

If that's the case then go with the PCU STRIKE job. Even if your timing gets hosed up it doesn't really matter because you'll just be using your shore tour to shop for a follow on job or a grad school.

Honestly, unless you were really concerned about timing for a specific shore job I would tell you to stay away from MCM second tour jobs in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

ManMythLegend posted:

If that's the case then go with the PCU STRIKE job. Even if your timing gets hosed up it doesn't really matter because you'll just be using your shore tour to shop for a follow on job or a grad school.

Honestly, unless you were really concerned about timing for a specific shore job I would tell you to stay away from MCM second tour jobs in general.

Duly noted. Thanks for the real talk.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Don't get out after your second sea tour unless you have something lined up. Shore tour is generally awesome and it's good money (and free money if you're an academy or ROTC grad), do that for as long as possible then GTFO.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

LingcodKilla posted:

So.... I got a question. If I got randomly flipped off by somebody on restricted and then immediately informed the petty officer in charge (mostly because I was confused because I didnt know the dude). Turns out he was talking to his buddy I'm having issues with outside the galley(I saw them talking). The petty officer tried to convince me to let him just handle it in house since "his life couldnt get anyworse"(bullshit).

Is this because the petty officer would also get in trouble for letting his restricted boys mingle with regular sailors or he just doesnt want to deal with paper work?

krispykremessuck posted:

did you tattle because someone flipped you off

You have the makings to cross-rate and become a really good LE type MA if your current rate fails you.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

So.... I got a question. If I got randomly flipped off by somebody on restricted and then immediately informed the petty officer in charge (mostly because I was confused because I didnt know the dude). Turns out he was talking to his buddy I'm having issues with outside the galley(I saw them talking). The petty officer tried to convince me to let him just handle it in house since "his life couldnt get anyworse"(bullshit).

Is this because the petty officer would also get in trouble for letting his restricted boys mingle with regular sailors or he just doesnt want to deal with paper work?

You're 37. Why are you doing this?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Don't be a buddy fucker bro. The kids are annoying, but just grit your teeth and suck it up for a few more months.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

I was literally standing right by the first class when this happened. I didnt even have to take a step to ask him what thats all about.

I'm not doing anything nor did I ask for advice on what to do but I'm always curious how different aspects of the Navy work and the attitudes of those typically in charge. I pretty much know the answer already "lol navy" but thought id ask anyways. Only got like 16 days left here anyways.

My favorite quote this week would have to be " I dont care about your careers because I'm about to make Chief so go ahead and gently caress up your life" during our safety stand down.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I was literally standing right by the first class when this happened. I didnt even have to take a step to ask him what thats all about.

I'm not doing anything nor did I ask for advice on what to do but I'm always curious how different aspects of the Navy work and the attitudes of those typically in charge. I pretty much know the answer already "lol navy" but thought id ask anyways. Only got like 16 days left here anyways.

My favorite quote this week would have to be " I dont care about your careers because I'm about to make Chief so go ahead and gently caress up your life" during our safety stand down.

I mean as a first class if a dude on restriction flipped a random student off I would absolutely not loving care even a little tiny bit because even though I'm a petty officer I'm not a PETTY officer lolol get it???

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

So in that case, yeah pretty much lol Navy, but specifically, it's usually not worth the hassle to deal with the restricteds unless they really gently caress up. Especially at a training command.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Finally starting quals for watch standing, on average it takes 3-4 months. My orders end in 4. Reserve life y'all, No advancements, no cares.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Don't get out after your second sea tour unless you have something lined up. Shore tour is generally awesome and it's good money (and free money if you're an academy or ROTC grad), do that for as long as possible then GTFO.

Did they start letting non-SWOCP contract signers get good shore tours recently? When my sea tour was ending, all the shore duty available sucked unless I would sign on for DH afterwards. Like, "you're going to spend all your time at sea with ATG but no sea pay and it counts as a shore tour" suck.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 24, 2015

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The restrictoids there had it pretty awful. I always gave them some slack compared to some of the other weirdos they had watching them.

Jeez, some of the stories about petty poo poo those petty officers did.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

people are assholes, sometimes disrespectful assholes. some guy on restriction in a school is probably pretty fuckin miserable to begin with, as you already covered and has been talked about since. the attitude that "there's no reason to make him any more miserable" isn't unique to the navy, and probably not wrong. the way you told your story it sounded like you ratted the guy out for makin an obscene hand gesture.

I try not to judge but you're almost 40 and if you can't figure out the attitudes of those in charge in a situation like that ... well it explains to me enlisting at 37 anyway I guess

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

people are assholes, sometimes disrespectful assholes. some guy on restriction in a school is probably pretty fuckin miserable to begin with, as you already covered and has been talked about since. the attitude that "there's no reason to make him any more miserable" isn't unique to the navy, and probably not wrong. the way you told your story it sounded like you ratted the guy out for makin an obscene hand gesture.

I try not to judge but you're almost 40 and if you can't figure out the attitudes of those in charge in a situation like that ... well it explains to me enlisting at 37 anyway I guess

I enlisted in the reserves so I could have health insurance while I job hop looking for a better job for me and my family. I never quite my job and it's still there when I go back if I need to. I'm doing just fine otherwise. I'm use to hard work, this most certainly isnt , the money due to BAH is slightly better than I was making.

Is the concept of trying to figure out why someone is loving with really such a mind-blowing concept? Instead of mulling it over wouldnt you ask questions? I've learned quite a bit about something I have had no previous experience with the responses of Laranzu, Bengy81 and your explanation.

I suppose I'm simply not use to a work environment that keeps around the gently caress-ups. I've worked with some pretty awful people but I've always been allowed to go up to them and talk to them myself about any problems. This... not so much, if I could have gone up to him I would have. Completely ignore them, roger that. Pretty much what I was doing before anyways.

After reading what I posted I realized I didnt mention the Petty Officer asked me if I wanted to file a report due to sexual harassment but said "There's no reason to make him any more miserable". Which was the confusing part for me in the first place. Kinda like a bad cop at a real rape crime scene. I feel so dirty...

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
To avoid a lengthy carepost: I apologize for my post being confrontational, it wasn't necessary. In this case, the point I think anyone here was making was that you need to evaluate whether it's really worth it. The Navy holds on to people like that well past the point that they, or the individual in question wants to be held onto for a lot of reasons, for better or for worse. Making whatever amount of time they have left more miserable for them probably won't help the Navy, you, or them.

I was CG, not USN, but if you had come to me when I was a first class or I had witnessed the event, I'd likely just ask you if you expected anything different. I'd probably also ask if you had addressed the issue with them first, and if not I'd ask you to do so. If you weren't comfortable with doing so, I could on your behalf - though I'd probably be irritated that a prospective petty officer didn't want to handle their poo poo. I'd also probably try to manipulate your empathy. The guy is on restriction. It could be the end, or beginning of the end of his Navy career. He's likely pretty unhappy about that, and most everything else going on in his life at that point. Life in any branch of the military is not going to always be sunshine and loving lollipops, but there are a LOT of people in all the services that go out of their way to make everyone around them more miserable. The best thing you can usually do for yourself and others is to try not to be one of those people.

I don't understand the nexus to sexual harassment -- has flipping someone the bird now crossed the threshold of general expletive to sexual harassment?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I suppose I'm simply not use to a work environment that keeps around the gently caress-ups.

This is something that will probably bother you for awhile. I joined when I was 22, I had multiple jobs, etc. When I came in I couldn't fathom how shitbirds were allowed to stay in. After ten years of seeing the wrong kinds of people advance I just laugh bitterly into whatever I'm drinking that night.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

Did they start letting non-SWOCP contract signers get good shore tours recently? When my sea tour was ending, all the shore duty available sucked unless I would sign on for DH afterwards. Like, "you're going to spend all your time at sea with ATG but no sea pay and it counts as a shore tour" suck.

While the best I think are limited by the sign-on bonus, there are still great billets on the slates (I had a few that I would have liked). I lucked out and probably got one of the best billets possible that I never imagined based on my first CO's recommendation and because I personally knew my detailer.

Still, even if you get something as lovely as a watch floor staff O, it's essentially a higher than average paycheck for a pretty standard work week with the added bonus of earning a free education whenever you're ready. The only real alternative to that is if you think you can get started in a career earlier or heading back to grad school now because you already have a way to pay for it. That said, the skills/lessons I've learned in a staff position have been extremely useful and I think will give me an advantage over my peers who are largely straight out of undergrad or, more likely, coming out of a horizontal growth position.

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 24, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

I don't understand the nexus to sexual harassment -- has flipping someone the bird now crossed the threshold of general expletive to sexual harassment?

It's just what he told me so I'm not sure. Dont recall much from the sapper training besides "dont rape".

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

While the best I think are limited by the sign-on bonus, there are still great billets on the slates (I had a few that I would have liked). I lucked out and probably got one of the best billets possible that I never imagined based on my first CO's recommendation and because I personally knew my detailer.

Still, even if you get something as lovely as a watch floor staff O, it's essentially a higher than average paycheck for a pretty standard work week with the added bonus of earning a free education whenever you're ready. The only real alternative to that is if you think you can get started in a career earlier or heading back to grad school now because you already have a way to pay for it. That said, the skills/lessons I've learned in a staff position have been extremely useful and I think will give me an advantage over my peers who are largely straight out of undergrad or, more likely, coming out of a horizontal growth position.

Thanks for this input.

Due to my prior E time I'm eligible for 90% Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. If I end up doing shore duty that will put me at 10 years active, which would almost make me go "gently caress it let's just hit 20." Plus I will be like 32, so delaying starting civilian life or grad school just for the sake of having a paycheck for 2 years doesn't appeal to me. So it's either all in or get out right away.

I know this is very peculiar to my situation, but still worth considering what that delay for next career/school/job is for people considering doing shore duty vs. getting out. The prevailing wisdom is "do shore duty free buck$$$" but still good to weigh options I think.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks for this input.

Due to my prior E time I'm eligible for 90% Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. If I end up doing shore duty that will put me at 10 years active, which would almost make me go "gently caress it let's just hit 20." Plus I will be like 32, so delaying starting civilian life or grad school just for the sake of having a paycheck for 2 years doesn't appeal to me. So it's either all in or get out right away.

I know this is very peculiar to my situation, but still worth considering what that delay for next career/school/job is for people considering doing shore duty vs. getting out. The prevailing wisdom is "do shore duty free buck$$$" but still good to weigh options I think.

Well, you're right, your situation is unique. I'll be 31 when I graduate from business school - which is a perfect time (perhaps slightly late) for switching career paths. Waiting until mid-30's to start is going to eat into your lifetime earnings.

I think in your case it's wise to get out. What you'll need to consider is what is important to you, if financial security (a good job) is up there, then what you'll want to consider is what career you'll be transitioning into, what the earning potentials are, and where you'll start out, how fast you'll advance, and how your skillset benefits you (and disadvantages you). If you know career Navy is not for you, then you'll be fairly free to choose your path. If career Navy is still an option to you, you'll want to map expected civilian earnings against known military earnings and compare that to your other desires in life (family stability, relative freedom in personal choices, etc...)

Understand that grad schools, especially business schools, or employers will offer a premium for your management and leadership experience which will carry you relatively far. My resume has a lot of things which really mean nothing to an employer on it (Training Officer? Force Protection Officer? Strike Officer? TLAM Officer?). However, those credentials are impressive when you break down the number of people supervised, the scale of programs managed, the processes overseen, the relative vertical growth in responsibility, or the time interacting with senior officers, especially when compared to people whose major advantage is that they've worked in the industry you're looking to enter into. That said, you still need to do your due diligence and prepare (learn about an industry/school, prepare for interviews, network, etc...)

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 24, 2015

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Boon posted:

Well, you're right, your situation is unique. I'll be 31 when I graduate from business school -

I was 31 when I joined the Navy instead of going to business school after having a couple senior level business fellows in my network tell me "You're probably better off enlisting than getting an MBA these days". Life, it's a doozy ain't it?

Also how the h*ck do you end up on restriction? The Navy seems to tolerate some pretty massive fuckupery, what do you need to do to get to that point?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

I was 31 when I joined the Navy instead of going to business school after having a couple senior level business fellows in my network tell me "You're probably better off enlisting than getting an MBA these days". Life, it's a doozy ain't it?

Also how the h*ck do you end up on restriction? The Navy seems to tolerate some pretty massive fuckupery, what do you need to do to get to that point?

A couple classes for my teaching certification had a guy with business degree. His only steady employment since that degree was a school janitor job.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think it depends. You don't go to school, get a degree, and just hope for the best. You have to do some research and know what you want before you go. For instance, I'm heading to Minnesota which has 73% employment at graduation with an average base salary of $99k and the field I'm looking at (Healthcare Administration) requires either an MHA or an MBA just for entry. The school is located in the same city as United Healthcare and has one of the best programs in the country for that focus. So it really just depends.

Any MBA outside of the top 20 nationally is basically a regional MBA, and any MBA outside of the top 50-100 is going to rapidly lose value in comparison.

A fair point.
VVV

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 24, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

I think it depends. You don't go to school, get a degree, and just hope for the best. The school I'm heading too has 73% employment at graduation with an average base salary of $99k and the field I'm looking at (Healthcare Administration) requires either an MHA or an MBA just for entry. So it really just depends.

Well yes, it's like how you can get a decent job if you graduate in the top third of a top tier law school but in general "don't get a law degree" is sound advice.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Boon this sort of forward thinking, research and attention to detail is exactly why you were not fit to ascend to the upper echelons of the Naval service

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
freshly minted MBAs are the academy grads of the civilian world

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Waah, those poor restricted kids who were either too stupid to pass one of the navy's 3rd grade-level A-Schools or too much of a fuckup to follow basic rules have such a rough time. :qq:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

gently caress you Dad, you try showing up somewhere at a per-appointed and amply communicated time and standing there and being quiet for five minutes without using your phone, it's loving hard!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

go3 posted:

freshly minted MBAs are the academy grads of the civilian world

Agreed; smart, good looking, and a cut above their peers.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

gently caress you Dad, you try showing up somewhere at a per-appointed and amply communicated time and standing there and being quiet for five minutes without using your phone, it's loving hard!

To be fair, I've seen times when literally none of these conditions existed.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Agreed; smart, good looking, and a cut above their peers.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I'm in a coxswain course this week. So far:

Wore a 70 SPF rashguard longsleeve shirt and cammie pants, constantly doused my face and neck with sunscreen, forgot to put sunscreen on my hands, hands are sunburned but nowhere else

Forgot my phone was in my pocket after lunch, jumped off the RHIB into the water for swimmer pick up practice, noticed within 10 seconds, phone is drying out in a bag of rice right now

Good fun other than that though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

Wore a 70 SPF rashguard longsleeve shirt and cammie pants, constantly doused my face and neck with sunscreen, forgot to put sunscreen on my hands, hands are sunburned but nowhere else

Forgot my phone was in my pocket after lunch, jumped off the RHIB into the water for swimmer pick up practice, noticed within 10 seconds, phone is drying out in a bag of rice right now

salt water? You may want to jiggle it in alcohol first to wash out the salt before you rice it

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Nah, Chesapeake inlet, brackish/fresh water. Thanks for the tip though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

Paperwork Weenie's Big Ocean Adventure :coolfish:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Enjoy flying through O'Hare and seeing the terrified newbies around.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Laranzu posted:

Paperwork Weenie's Big Ocean Adventure :coolfish:

New thread title tia

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

LingcodKilla posted:

the Petty Officer asked me if I wanted to file a report due to sexual harassment

sapr complaint for the middle finger? oh gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
the finger is my trigger

• Locked thread