Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Who doesn't just reflash the factory image from the Nexus site?

The other 99.5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The other 99.5%.

Normal people don't buy nexus phones :v:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
AFAIK the issue is there's no way to secure erase a smartphone, since there's no standard hardware command like there is for desktops and laptops. Unless you get proprietary information from flash controller manufacturers, there's no telling when a particular cell of memory will get erased without that command. When you overwrite a file on flash storage, the controller just changes which cells are assigned to that file, because actually erasing flash cells is much slower. The OS has no control over this, not even with the TRIM command.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I've got some questions about Google Voice. I have a personal phone with unlimited data and minutes. I also have a work phone with a different number of course on whatever plan they buy, doesn't matter. I'm tired of carrying two phones around all the time (I'm on call 24hrs). I'd like to use my personal phone and install Google Voice and port my work number over to it IF it will do everything having two phones does now.

For example, I know I can receive calls on that work phone number when ported to Google Voice. I can also receive SMS/MMS on that number. Is it just as easy to initiate a call, SMS, MMS from that GV ported work number on my personal phone? How does handling contact lists work? My work phone has a contact list about 100 people long where my personal phone has maybe 20.

Basically, can it look to other people like I have two separate phones (and phone numbers) but just toggle my needs on one physical phone between the regular phone number and the Google Voice number? I'd rather not have work people know my personal phone number. I want to keep the image that I have two separate numbers/phones without having both front pockets full of phones.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

LastInLine posted:

Who doesn't just reflash the factory image from the Nexus site?

Anyway, I just got back from checking out the Qi furniture and lamps at Ikea. They're pretty crappy. The tables come in two varieties, one of them really cheap metal and the other pressboard but not much better. The lamps and pads were okay (except for the floor lamp which was unsteady) but the biggest issue was that placement to get devices to charge was next to impossible.

It certainly mitigates the key advantage of Qi if you can't just toss it down and expect it to work. It is no exaggeration to say that the difference between my Nexus 5 charging or not charging was a few millimeters in any one direction on a surface where you had eight to ten inches of flat area. I mean, if I have to fiddle with it to be sure it's working I could've just used a cable (which you could, nearly all of the devices also have a USB charging port). The chargers have an LED to indicate that it's working but it's embedded right next to the coil so there's no way to see it if a device is actually on it. There would certainly be no way to use this in a dark room.

Factoring in the price (which is high), there's no way it's not a better deal to just buy Tylt Vus in lieu of these things. I did test the power draw with Ampere but as my device was nearly fully charged it wouldn't draw more than 240mA on Ikea's devices or the Tylt car charger.

I have the Choetech Stadium 3 coil charger and it has a pretty large sweet spot. Pretty good item as far as I can tell.

I also bought the itain A6 three coil stand on recommendation from this thread and it does not work well with the Nexus 6. Really bad coil whine and it heats up the device, will have to return it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Eejit posted:

I also bought the itain A6 three coil stand on recommendation from this thread and it does not work well with the Nexus 6. Really bad coil whine and it heats up the device, will have to return it.

Definitely do that. Doesn't do either of those with my Nexus 6 or 7.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

DemonMage posted:

Definitely do that. Doesn't do either of those with my Nexus 6 or 7.

Oh I was going to return it and buy another Stadium. I can try exchanging it though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Some Android M news:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/23/googles-internal-code-name-for-android-m-is-macadamia-nut-cookie-mnc/

Android M's internal name is "Macadamia Nut Cookie" as shown by the usage in AOSP as "mnc". This doesn't mean M will BE "Macadamia Nut Cookie" however as Kit Kat and Lollipop both had different internal names (Key Lime Pie (KLP) and Lemon Meringue Pie (LMP) respectively).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/23/rumor-android-m-will-come-with-an-update-guarantee-for-nexus-devices/

As of Android M, Nexus devices will have a guarantee of sorts.

I'll just quote AP on it (emphasis theirs):

Android Police posted:

So here's the deal—Nexus devices will get major system updates for two years and security patches for three years from OS release date. Security patches will alternatively be guaranteed for at least 18 months from the date of purchase in the Google Store/Play Store (whichever is longer).These rules apply to past Nexus devices as well as new ones, and that means some phones and tablets are coming to the end of the line.

They also go to point out that the Nexus 4, Nexus 10, and Nexus 7 2012 will NOT receive Android M but WILL get security updates for a bit longer. The Nexus 7 2012, however, is actually almost done.

Android Police posted:

The N4 and N10 came out in November of 2012, so they're well past the two year OS cutoff. The Nexus 4 was out of the Play Store in fall of 2013, so the three year security patch cutoff will be observed for this phone. That means this fall will be the end of N4 support. The Nexus 10 was sold for much longer, only dropping out of the Play Store in fall 2014 (along with the 2013 N7). So in this case it will have security updates through early 2016. The 2012 N7 wasn't nearly as long-lived as those devices. It came out in the summer of 2012 and was dropped about a year later. It's already past the major update limit (I guess Google was feeling nice with Lollipop), but this summer is the end of security patches.

As for newer devices, the 2013 N7 should have system updates until later this summer and security patches through summer 2016. The Nexus 5 will be on the full OTA train until this coming fall, then it should drop to security patches for another year. The N6 and N9 are still for sale, of course, so we don't know for sure when security updates will stop, but they'll have system OTAs until at least fall of 2016.

This means nothing for Galaxy, Moto, LG G, or HTC Ones. This one's Nexus only.

And in the non-Android M news:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/23/the-google-live-case-shortcut-button-looks-familiar-workshop-may-still-be-alive-after-all/

Looks like Google is still looking into cases that can be customized to do what you want once you put them on thanks to the new Skrillex cases.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 24, 2015

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Pitre posted:

I've got some questions about Google Voice. I have a personal phone with unlimited data and minutes. I also have a work phone with a different number of course on whatever plan they buy, doesn't matter. I'm tired of carrying two phones around all the time (I'm on call 24hrs). I'd like to use my personal phone and install Google Voice and port my work number over to it IF it will do everything having two phones does now.

For example, I know I can receive calls on that work phone number when ported to Google Voice. I can also receive SMS/MMS on that number. Is it just as easy to initiate a call, SMS, MMS from that GV ported work number on my personal phone? How does handling contact lists work? My work phone has a contact list about 100 people long where my personal phone has maybe 20.

Basically, can it look to other people like I have two separate phones (and phone numbers) but just toggle my needs on one physical phone between the regular phone number and the Google Voice number? I'd rather not have work people know my personal phone number. I want to keep the image that I have two separate numbers/phones without having both front pockets full of phones.

Definitely not how it works, I wouldn't risk porting your work number unless you barely use it. The big issue is lack of group mms for GV right now, that means when somebody send a group text, you get it and everybody's response shows up as if they just texted you directly. If you want to reply to the "group" you can't and have to text everybody individually.

Basically think of it as really fancy forwarding with some neat features on your computer (like answering incoming calls and texting from your computer). Still pretty rough around the edges.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Android Marshmallow?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

teagone posted:

Android Marshmallow?

Macaroon!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LastInLine posted:

Anyway, I just got back from checking out the Qi furniture and lamps at Ikea. They're pretty crappy. The tables come in two varieties, one of them really cheap metal and the other pressboard but not much better. The lamps and pads were okay (except for the floor lamp which was unsteady) but the biggest issue was that placement to get devices to charge was next to impossible.

It certainly mitigates the key advantage of Qi if you can't just toss it down and expect it to work. It is no exaggeration to say that the difference between my Nexus 5 charging or not charging was a few millimeters in any one direction on a surface where you had eight to ten inches of flat area. I mean, if I have to fiddle with it to be sure it's working I could've just used a cable (which you could, nearly all of the devices also have a USB charging port). The chargers have an LED to indicate that it's working but it's embedded right next to the coil so there's no way to see it if a device is actually on it. There would certainly be no way to use this in a dark room.

I agree that the Tylt Vu is the likely still the best all-round Qi charger, but I don't think the Ikea ones are necessarily that bad. The table quality is your standard Ikea stuff so I won't get into that, but I picked up one of the pucks while traveling (the Vu is terribly designed for transport) and there's a lot to be said for the convenience - an easy to find brick and mortar store selling a Qi charger that uses the local plugs with reasonably good quality control. A bit pricier than I would have liked, but no worries about overheating or whatever like the Itian someone upthread had.

Haven't had any notable issues aligning my phone on the puck, aside from the first time where I realized the Vu had indeed spoiled me and I didn't know where the coil for my phone was centered, but the guide that shows up on-screen seems accurate and I haven't had problems since. LED positioning is indeed poorly thought out but not much of a big deal in my opinion, since the phone screen lights up when a charger is detected. All the Ikea chargers include a USB port in addition, which is sometimes handy.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Pitre posted:

Yes it should be able to do this. I have two numbers on one phone using voice. I use the voice number through hangouts. I think your contacts will have to be merged and you'll have to be mindful which number you are using to dial out.

*edit* I guess the guy above me has a better grasp of it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 24, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That would be a good one too. How about Maple Syrup?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
M&M!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Android Motherfucker.

As in "some motherfucker with a N4 is gonna get pissy about not getting another major OS revision on their elderly hardware."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

vyst posted:

Vendors are extremely optimistic about this update apparently because phones slated for 5.1 will probably go directly to 5.1.1. I know the discussion of the galaxy s6 line 5.1 update said this.

Would you by chance have any experience with the Nexus 6, and would you suggest the S6 over it in your opinion?

I'm overdue to upgrade by some several years and these two phones have my current attention. The samsung galaxy nexus has been a fantastic phone since it's release (maybe not the battery life so much), but it's been struggling heavily for the past year doing basic functions. It's time to upgrade, but my cell-phone buddy has been out of the loop for about as long, leaving me with a taste for android devices but little current world knowledge about them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's 5 AM and my phone has been issuing emergency alerts about poo poo I can't do anything about since 11 PM. I've looked up all the various ways to get an LG G2 to stop showing emergency alerts but I've run into a problem. Every guide says basically the same thing, but my problem is here on Step 4. That "Emergency alerts" option isn't on my phone. I can't figure out why it isn't showing up and I haven't found any other place this option could be. I've even done the old standby of restarting it. The phone is fully updated and I have not rooted it. Any clue what's going on?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Android Moon Pie
Android Mars Bar

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I figured they'd use Mississippi Mud Pie for the internal name so they could keep the same debug icon for three version in a row.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TTBF posted:

It's 5 AM and my phone has been issuing emergency alerts about poo poo I can't do anything about since 11 PM. I've looked up all the various ways to get an LG G2 to stop showing emergency alerts but I've run into a problem. Every guide says basically the same thing, but my problem is here on Step 4. That "Emergency alerts" option isn't on my phone. I can't figure out why it isn't showing up and I haven't found any other place this option could be. I've even done the old standby of restarting it. The phone is fully updated and I have not rooted it. Any clue what's going on?

Don't turn off emergency alerts dummy, they're important.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

Android Moon Pie
Android Mars Bar

Android Moose Tracks

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Android Marzipan!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lothire posted:

Would you by chance have any experience with the Nexus 6, and would you suggest the S6 over it in your opinion?

I'm overdue to upgrade by some several years and these two phones have my current attention. The samsung galaxy nexus has been a fantastic phone since it's release (maybe not the battery life so much), but it's been struggling heavily for the past year doing basic functions. It's time to upgrade, but my cell-phone buddy has been out of the loop for about as long, leaving me with a taste for android devices but little current world knowledge about them.

Based on my experiences, the n6 has a better user experience via the quickly available software upgrades and lack of touchwiz but the s6 has superior hardware (better camera, internals, etc.) - exception being a smaller screen. So if you can deal with the light flavor of touchwiz (and I do mean light in comparison to galaxy s5/s4) and aren't one of those people that are really anal about having the super cutting edge builds of android I'd go with the s6 easily.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Don't turn off emergency alerts dummy, they're important.

I'm not planning on turning off the tornado warning alerts but I'd really like to turn off the alerts that happen every time there's a mild thunderstorm.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
What case and/or screen protector do I want for an S6?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TTBF posted:

I'm not planning on turning off the tornado warning alerts but I'd really like to turn off the alerts that happen every time there's a mild thunderstorm.

The only time I've ever seen an alert is legit severe - blizzards, severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, flash floods, etc.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Just depends on where you are and where your phone thinks you are and how big the alert area is. There are plenty of times severe weather has gone off for no good reason. It's a good idea but needs refinement.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's pretty much an EAS repeater, less the system tests.

Depending on where you are that can mean most of the stuff you get is relevant, or little of it is. Some of California's counties have the size or population of modest countries, and you can imagine the effect.

Cell networks are axiomatically more precise than EAS and work needs to be done to account for that.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The weather stuff definitely needs a lot of work. A rainy night results in hourly severe weather alerts. So many of the alerts are pointless that it's hard to remember to check them for actual problems before dismissing them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I didn't realize the broadcasts are sent at such a level that even a phone with no SIM installed will spin off alerts.

It's fun in a mobile dev office when the state calls in an Amber Alert, and everyone's got at least one development phone on their desk plus their personal device.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Boozie posted:

What case and/or screen protector do I want for an S6?

Spigen Neo Hybrid is always a solid case.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thankfully I moved out of FL before cell broadcast alerts became a thing because it must be hellish to be getting silver alerts every couple hours if you live in a place like Pinellas.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Thankfully I moved out of FL before cell broadcast alerts became a thing because it must be hellish to be getting silver alerts every couple hours if you live in a place like Pinellas.

I live in Hillsborough and we don't get silver alerts, only Amber Alerts. I do see silver alerts all the time on the interstate billboards though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

I do see silver alerts all the time on the interstate billboards though

Oh god, that's even worse. "SLOW DOWN HAZEL I GOTTA READ DA SIGN MAYBE ITS THE PEOPLE BACK AT DA HOME WORRYIN' BOUT US"

*sound of tires screeching, collisions*

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Oh god, that's even worse. "SLOW DOWN HAZEL I GOTTA READ DA SIGN MAYBE ITS THE PEOPLE BACK AT DA HOME WORRYIN' BOUT US"

*sound of tires screeching, collisions*

Silver alerts are stolen cars :v:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Eejit posted:

I have the Choetech Stadium 3 coil charger and it has a pretty large sweet spot. Pretty good item as far as I can tell.

Hm I bought the itain one too and mine definitely does that (whine + heat). I wonder if it's too late to exchange. I threw the box away for sure though.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 25, 2015

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I got a Tylt Vu a week ago, I never realised how much of a pain having to plug my phone in was.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

myron cope posted:

Hm I bought the itain one too and mine definitely does that (whine + heat). I wonder if it's too late to exchange. I threw the box away for sure though.

Yeah mine arrived just this week so I've been doing my best to evaluate it. Gonna see if the replacement does the same thing, and if so I'll just exchange for a second stadium through amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Premature ejacula- posted:

I got a Tylt Vu a week ago, I never realised how much of a pain having to plug my phone in was.

Yeah, it's definitely one of those things where once you have it you never go back.