Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^Agreed, I'm 35 years old and am playing this game every second I can.

Two questions, can we do missions after the main story ends? I am basically done playing until next Friday and it looks like this will take me many weeks even while just trying to plow through the main story.

And when (Novigrad spoilers while looking for Dandelion) I went to the Witch Hunters home base with Triss in handcuffs, is there a way to get out of there without combat? I tried twice and still managed to end up fighting like 15 dudes, only getting out after many tries due to a lucky barrel explosion. Triss already had her fingernails pulled off one hand but there didn't look like there was an option to keep bluffing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Cool, thanks all. I lost track of my starter armor a while back but I don't seem to be hurting for protection right now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

This game would be 11/10 if the movement wasn't all hosed and wonky.

Movement problems make me hate doing any running around around. I want to punch the cdpr guys who worked on movement.

Also the need to find a drat sign post for fast travel is infuriating.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I looked up the 3 way on youtube. I'm glad I did.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm confused about shaving. It seems like shaving disabled my beard growth. What's the point of having beard growth if shaving turns it off?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

grimcreaper posted:

This game would be 11/10 if the movement wasn't all hosed and wonky.

Movement problems make me hate doing any running around around. I want to punch the cdpr guys who worked on movement.

Your mistake was not playing W2 immediately before jumping into W3.

Movement still kinda sucks, but you're used to it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm confused about shaving. It seems like shaving disabled my beard growth. What's the point of having beard growth if shaving turns it off?

My friend told me that it only works with the default hair style.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Creepy Goat posted:

Playtime says 22 hours*, I very rarely died on 2nd hardest difficulty though since I got pretty good at the combat (Aard + fast attack dodge build). Probably steamrolled the story in all honesty, but I did main character side quests when they presented themselves, all the master Witcher gear treasure hunts, and as many big monster contracts as I could find. I focused on getting the Master Armorer and Master Swordsmith early so I could craft top-tier gear as soon as possible, probably helped.

Non-specific spoilers relating to how different endings come about :

There are only a handful of side-quests that I found that directly affect the ending, and they are quite obvious. The major effect on the ending seems to be how you (Geralt) treat Ciri throughout the game - as this appears to be the basis of how her character develops. In my game she got progressively more hot-headed and frustrated, whereas others have said she came into her own. There's a whole bunch of protective father figure vs wise mentor decisions that ultimately influence Ciri's character.

I wasn't trying to steamroll the story though, but the sense of urgency of chasing down Ciri with the Wild Hunt in pursuit kind of sub-consciously led me quest to quest and I kept telling myself 'okay after this bit I'll explore!' only to feel compelled to keep chasing. So I guess that's good writing, but made it harder to take the time out to investiage the world!

*which can't be right, so GoG must have buggered up somewhere. Played Wednesday, Thursday about 10+ hours, maybe 6-8 Friday and 6 today. So probably more around 35?

I hate doing this to myself, but what are the decisions to make her less frustrated?

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
Loving this game so far. Where is the current game time? I've heard people saying it's on the character stat screen but it's not there.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

cheesetriangles posted:

I looked up the 3 way on youtube. I'm glad I did.

I thought that was someone trolling. That doesn't make any sense, Yen is way too jealous for that, she even threw out the bed G and Triss slept in.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Um so I threw a round in Gwent after the ai put down some value 10 heroes. AI was already ahead but it put down 2 more cards anyway. What the?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

CJ posted:

My friend told me that it only works with the default hair style.

It also works with the shaved side hairstyle, but that's also a classic geralt style.

I shaved and it grew back.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gobblecoque posted:

Item degradation is dumb but it's such a minor issue I can't imagine how people are angry about it. Repairing costs a pittance and it's not long before you're swimming in repair kits. Worst comes to worst just trade out your sword for any of the equally strong relic weapons you get at the end of almost any quest.

What? You want to keep exploring because it's fun? TOO BAD CHUMP YOUR SWORD BROKE. Go back to West Bumblefuck and fix it before you continue because ????????????????

On the other hand I just explored 4 close ?s on my map and they were all nekker nests so maybe I don't want to explore anymore. :gonk:

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Vanderdeath posted:

Couldn't get with that Herbalist chick in White Orchard so the game's a 2/10 thus far imo

Oh thank god I thought I was the only one who wanted to drill her. :dance:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

White Orchard alchemist lady really looked familiar like she was modeled on an actual person. It's weird she had such a small role.

Does anything use my default witcher steel and silver sword for anything? I've been holding onto then for 30 hours now.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
It's kinda ridiculous how huge this game is. I'm in Novigrad doing my share of main story and side stuff and I feel like I've made progress and then I see the huge list of witcher contracts I haven't even touched yet because I'm only level 14. I love this game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm very happy to see that Geralt made good use of his time with Ciri to perfect his dad-jokes :allears:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Vodos posted:

I thought that was someone trolling. That doesn't make any sense, Yen is way too jealous for that, she even threw out the bed G and Triss slept in.

I would go watch it. you don't want it to happen

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The high stakes tournament has to be the nerdiest thing in the entire game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Who Dat posted:

Oh thank god I thought I was the only one who wanted to drill her. :dance:

She's kinda weird... she claims to have known the woman who now haunts the well, which was twenty years ago. But she can't be more than 25 herself, absolute maximum.
vampire burn her

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Lone Badger posted:

She's kinda weird... she claims to have known the woman who now haunts the well, which was twenty years ago. But she can't be more than 25 herself, absolute maximum.
vampire burn her

She's a herbalist, she's probably dabbled in some potion of youth, these things happen in the Witcher universe.

I mean, Geralt is almost a hundred years old.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just spent 2 hours running around challenging merchants and traders to Gwent just to get some cards for my deck. Finally made it somewhere in the quest and beat that kid.

Would Gwent work as a real life board/card game?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Azazell0 posted:

I just spent 2 hours running around challenging merchants and traders to Gwent just to get some cards for my deck. Finally made it somewhere in the quest and beat that kid.

Of course, why wouldn't it? Here's hoping that someone makes it happen for Tabletop Simulator.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azazell0 posted:

It's not balanced at all. You can get 15 strength "Hero" cards that are basically untouchable.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I hate doing this to myself, but what are the decisions to make her less frustrated?

I haven't entirely spoiled it myself, here's all I know so far - don't be overly protective, in the intro sequence Vessimir says to be firm with her which is the only hint you really get. As I understand it you have to encourage independence instead of mollycoddling her - the only thing I know for certain is there's an option to play in the snow vs going for a drink, where you should choose to play. Also don't give her Lana Dorren's necklace when you search a certain laboratory with Ciri+Yen.

I don't want to search for the exact markers, but I think there's a tally added up behind the scenes for all your conversations and decisions involving her, but going wrong with too many major choices gives you a bad ending.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 24, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

It's not balanced at all. You can get 15 strength "Hero" cards that are basically untouchable.
Yeah as random activity in a game against AIs it works, but against players it's P2W. If you tried to limit it to x hero cards then it's the the same x hero cards for most decks.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Are various magical quest trinkets one sorceress only, or do they all go for both? I just picked up jade figurine at Zoltan's fishing buddy AFTER finishing with Triss, and apparently could have held onto Philippa's crystal for Yen.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

evilmiera posted:

The guide has a decision list. They are as follows.

:cumpolice: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR HOW TO GET WHAT ENDING YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. :cumpolice:

Ending 1

This conclusion of your Wild Hunt occurs if you made three of the previous five choices during your adventure:
During Act II: Main Quest: Blood on the Battlefield, you chose to drink with Ciri instead of engaging in a snowball fight.
During Act II: Main Quest: Blood on the Battlefield, you chose to take coin from Emhyr when visiting with Ciri, instead of refusing it.
During Act III: Main Quest: Final Preparations, you decided to talk to the Lodge of Sorceresses instead of letting Ciri go in alone.
During Act III: Main Quest: Battle Preparations, you gave Ciri Lara Dorren’s necklace instead of letting her ransack Avallac’h’s laboratory.
During Act III: Main Quest: Battle Preparations, you refused to let Ciri visit Skjall’s grave on Hindarsfjall.

Ending 2

This conclusion of your Wild Hunt occurs if you made three of the previous five choices during your adventure:
During Act II: Main Quest: Blood on the Battlefield, you chose to engage in a snowball fight instead of drinking with Ciri.
During Act II: Main Quest: Blood on the Battlefield, you refused to take coin from Emhyr when visiting with Ciri, instead of taking it.
During Act III: Main Quest: Final Preparations, you decided to let Ciri talk to the Lodge of Sorceresses alone instead of going with her.
During Act III: Main Quest: Battle Preparations, you allowed Ciri to ransack Avallac’h’s laboratory instead of giving her Lara Dorren’s necklace.
During Act III: Main Quest: Battle Preparations, you made time to visit Skjall’s grave on Hindarsfjall, instead of refusing Ciri’s request.
If you made three or more negative choices, Ciri is dead, and Something Ends, Something Begins (I) occurs instead.
For this ending, the following must also occur:
During Act II: Main Quest: Blood on the Battlefield, you agreed to visit Vizima and presented Ciri to Emhyr.
During Act II, you completed The Assassins’ Quests (Secondary Quest: An Eye for an Eye, Secondary Quest: A Deadly Plot, and Secondary Quest: Redania’s Most Wanted), and during Act III you completed Secondary Quest: Reason of State, killed King Radovid, and sided with Vernon Roche. Subsequently, the emperor and Nilfgaardian army won the war over the Redanians and King Radovid.

Ending 3

This conclusion of your Wild Hunt occurs if you made two or more of the previous four choices during your adventure:
During Act II: Main Quest: Blood on the Battlefield, you chose to engage in a snowball fight instead of drinking with Ciri.
During Act III: Main Quest: Final Preparations, you decided to let Ciri talk to the Lodge of Sorceresses alone instead of going with her.
During Act III: Main Quest: Battle Preparations, you allowed Ciri to ransack Avallac’h’s laboratory instead of giving her Lara Dorren’s necklace.
During Act III: Main Quest: Battle Preparations, you made time to visit Skjall’s grave on Hindarsfjall, instead of refusing Ciri’s request.
If you made three or more negative choices, Ciri is dead, and Something Ends, Something Begins (I) occurs instead.
For this ending, the following must also occur:
During Act II: Main Quest: Blood on the Battlefield, you made sure not to visit Vizima and did not present Ciri to Emhyr.
Or, if the Nilfgaard lost the war, and either Radovid lives, or Dijsktra rules Redania.
There are three variations to this ending. The first two require the following: During Act II, you must have completed The Assassins’ Quests (Secondary Quest: An Eye for an Eye, Secondary Quest: A Deadly Plot, and Secondary Quest: Redania’s Most Wanted); and during Act III, you must have completed Secondary Quest: Reason of State. How this quest ended influences this ending:
If you killed King Radovid and sided with Vernon Roche and Thaler against Dijkstra, the Nilfgaardians rule over this land. The emperor moves his troops from Vizima Palace, leave this land, and free Temerian troops reclaim it peacefully. This is Ending III (I).
If you killed King Radovid and sided with Dijkstra against Vernon Roche and Thaler, Dijkstra rules over this land. He isn’t a violent despot, but his troops are seeking clues of conspiracy, driving spies and enemies of the crown away from the land. This is Ending III (II).
Did you ignore Secondary Quest: Reason of State? Then Radovid is still very much alive, and rules over this land. The emperor needs to flee from Vizima Palace and witch hunters are everywhere, violently oppressing the population. Uprisings are crushed, and an air of despondency hangs like poisonous cloud. This is Ending III (III).

:cumpolice: WHAT HAPPENS IN EACH ENDIND MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS :cumpolice:

Ending 1: Ciri is missing considered maybe dead BAD END

Ending 2: Ciri becomes empress

Ending 3: Ciri becomes a witcher and goes off on the path but not together with geralt they both work alone.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
43 hours in and only 17% complete. God drat theirs so much content. loving amazing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It sure would be nice if I could whistle for my horse as I ran and he could, ya know, catch up to me. Thought he was supposed to be faster than me.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

:cumpolice: WHAT HAPPENS IN EACH ENDIND MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS :cumpolice:

Ending 1: Ciri is missing considered maybe dead BAD END

Ending 2: Ciri becomes empress

Ending 3: Ciri becomes a witcher and goes off on the path but not together with geralt they both work alone.

You forgot in Ending 1 Geralt basically commits suicide :smithicide:

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I need something cleared up for me, since I haven't read the books but I thought I understood the general plot. But I feel like there's a big plot gap between what happened in Witcher 1/2 and the beginning of three. Spoilers for those of you who haven't somehow played through 2 and the end of White Orchard.

At the end of the novels, it was my understanding that Geralt and Yennefer "died," and Ciri uses her Elder Blood powers to take them away to a place where they may heal (ala the legend of King Arthur). I may be wrong about those exact details but suffice to say they were gone.

In The Witcher 1, Geralt is found wandering in the wilderness by fellow witchers with no memory of what happened or where he'd been. Yen is nowhere to be found, but according to all official reports, they are both suppose to be dead.

In the Witcher 2, Geralt begins to regain his memory. It's revealed that somehow he survived along with Yen, but that the Wild Hunt had taken them. They escape, and in their travels meet up with Letho and the Viper School witchers. Yen is presented as being very sick and frail in the flashbacks, needing great help coming to terms with things. Letho promises to look after her so Geralt can lead the wild Hunt away or something. Letho and Yen are eventually captured by Nilfgard, and Letho is coerced into becoming the kingslayer. At the end of The Witcher 2, Geralt is told by Letho that Yennefer is very much alive and in Nilfgardian custody. Geralt vows to track her down and be reunited.

Now, here's where I find things fuzzy. The Witcher 3 picks up an indeterminate amount of time after the end of the Witcher 2. Geralt and Vessemir are riding the wilderness taking contracts, and Yennefer sends Geralt a letter. Something feels off about this. At the end of 2, he was resolved to track her down, but instead rode off with Vessemir, only returning to track her down once she sends him a letter. And Yennefer somehow knows Geralt was alive? I suppose she could use her magic to scry into that, but she doesn't seem all that eager to meet up with Geralt. And when they finally do meet, the whole meeting seems muted in terms of emotion.

Will this be fleshed out later? I'm only now in No Man's Land taking odd contracts. I can't tell if the disconnect I'm feeling is something I'm missing plotwise, or if it's just Yennefer's haughty attitude. I guess I just expected more urgency and emotion when two lovers who were both suppose to be dead each find out the other is alive and finally meet up what seems about 2 years after they "came back to life." I really wanted Yennefer to be my love interest, because that makes the most sense in terms of plot for the series, but the cold reunion just really turns me off.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Azazell0 posted:

Not in the state it is in the game. It's designed so that you progress from a poo poo tier deck which slowly improves as you progress through the game and beat players until you end up with a god tier deck that can crush anything. The legendaries are immune to special effects such as weather and destruction, so you end up with cards like Geralt and Ciri who have 15 power and are immune from all removal and status effects. Immune to specials would be a good mechanic to have on some cards but you'd have to make them a lot lower power for them to be balanced. Also there's only half a dozen card effects and a couple special effects so the amount of depth and strategy would probably be pretty limited. The mind games aspect is pretty interesting but it would need a pretyt big rework and fleshing out for it to be interesting as a multiplayer game for more than a couple of days.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Ha, just had a nice little moment on my way to the herbalist NE of Oxenfurt. Geralt happens upon some guy who drew a crowd of soldiers with a "basilisk" in a cage. When confronting the guy with the fact that he is, in fact, showcasing a malnourished baby wyvern, the wyvern gets unruly and breaks out of the cage. This whole exchange actually happens to Ciri when Yennefer is taking her to sorcery boarding school in the books.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've run into a really annoying and game breaking bug twice now. Geralt suddenly won't grab hold onto ledges anymore, instead he'll just "kick" away from the wall. It stopped me from doing a side quest earlier(I fixed it by reloading a save ~30 min back), but it's come back, and this time I'm not sure I want to backtrack that far.
Anyone else ran into this?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

The griffin set is available in its entirety at level 8, just check some armor/blacksmiths for maps.

That's pretty vague. There's a lot of smithys in this game. The dwarf smithy in the Bloody Baron keep for instance. I just got a quest for this guy in which I'm to go to Skellige and find some advanced fast hands finger wizard master level blacksmith tools so he can make me some armor with them. But I found a guide about the griffin set so I'll end up twisting my controller in fits of rage trying to get it.

After having sex with Keira, she revealed to me that she planned on taking Alexanders horrible notes to that dude. I had no idea who he was because I didn't play the 2nd game so I assumed he was an rear end in a top hat and killed her so she didn't take those plans to him. I actually felt kinda conflicted about it :(

Broken Cog posted:

I've run into a really annoying and game breaking bug twice now. Geralt suddenly won't grab hold onto ledges anymore, instead he'll just "kick" away from the wall. It stopped me from doing a side quest earlier(I fixed it by reloading a save ~30 min back), but it's come back, and this time I'm not sure I want to backtrack that far.
Anyone else ran into this?

This happens to me, but with ladders instead.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 24, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There are different trophies for the different endings, I take it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gwent would probably work pretty well in a draft or sealed format if some things were changed.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Where the hell do I get Vitriol? It's a component of Superior Swallow but none of the herbalists or alchemists seem to sell it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

johnny park posted:

Where the hell do I get Vitriol? It's a component of Superior Swallow but none of the herbalists or alchemists seem to sell it

It's probably made through alchemy with its own recipe rather than a raw ingredient, at least that's how it works for Rubedo and Albedo and suchlike. Wouldn't know where to get that recipe, though.