Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm also still expecting Max to wind up going back in time to the party where Kate got drugged at as well.

Now this is something I could get behind. Max Caulfield: The Time-Travelling Date-Rape Cop showing up at past parties to beat the poo poo out of her nemesis Nathan Prescott at every turn. In all seriousness though Nathan getting a severe comeuppance is going to be the sweetest thing and if it doesn't happen I will be very upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I wanted to save all of those dead birds in Chloe's backyard. At first I thought the stepdad had shot them all.

The twist at the end of the episode was hilarious and I immediately knew what had happened when I saw the ramp. Serves you right Chloe. You and your stupid hair. Fix your roots.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Awesome cliffhanger and Max is freaking adorable to me :3:

I could not find the I guess illuminated statue pic, 2 bird pics, and Im assuming the 2 people I was supposed to photo was Chloe and her dad? Did anyone get them all?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the illuminated statue is in Victora's room right after you start.
The first bird is actually a model on the principles desk.
The second is from when you're in Chloe's house, there's bird flying around downstairs which you can chase outside and photograph if you open the window.
And yeah the last one is Chloe and her dad, you have to pick up the camera off the kitchen side and take it before he moves off to find his keys.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Max posted:

Given that she specifically jumped into her younger self when she traveled back in time, and that it was a photo of her, I wonder if she has to be in the photo for that type of time travel to work. Good thing she's the self-styled "Selfie Queen" I suppose. Given that one of the first things you do in the game is take a selfie in your photo class, I wonder if they'll send you back to the beginning at some point.

If this is the case, you will probably travel through to the beginning of Episode 1 just to let Chloe die so things don't gently caress over everyone else. Probably even at Chloe's behest after she 'grows up.' Max turns in one of the many photos of Chloe that she's taken so far for the Everyday Hero contest because of Chloe's sacrifice and ends up winning. The end.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TastyLemonDrops posted:

If this is the case, you will probably travel through to the beginning of Episode 1 just to let Chloe die so things don't gently caress over everyone else. Probably even at Chloe's behest after she 'grows up.' Max turns in one of the many photos of Chloe that she's taken so far for the Everyday Hero contest because of Chloe's sacrifice and ends up winning. The end.
I'm almost 100% sure that that's how the game is going to end because playing God is bad and blah-blah-blah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's going to end with Max using her one wish to become god and erasing all the timelines where bad stuff happens.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It will end with Chloes from all parallel universes drowning Max in Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
"No matter how hard I tried I couldn't save Chloe, I guess Life Is Strange™ that way" *Roll Credits*

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Th e game ends with you fighting Nyx; there's an optional scene where you get to talk to Philemon about the nature of your choices over the game.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Goddamnit you're absolutely right. This is how it will end.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm pretty sure it's not going to end that way because that'd be utterly poo poo.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fans posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not going to end that way because that'd be utterly poo poo.

Ditto. That'd be the type of ending that retroactively makes the entire game complete poo poo and not worth even a replay, and I really think the devs are smarter than that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dmboogie posted:

Ditto. That'd be the type of ending that retroactively makes the entire game complete poo poo and not worth even a replay, and I really think the devs are smarter than that.

One of the key arching things of the series is her photo entry for the competition on Friday. It's almost guaranteed to change based on your actions over the chapters, and my bet's on either Kate, Chloe or Max herself thus far (She did potentially save Kate's life, plus all your minor little good deeds probably add up or something).

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Fans posted:

The fact that they've subverted expectations already in somewhat significant ways does seem to indicate that they wouldn't straight up rip off the ending to Donnie Darko. That said, I just watched the Voyager 'Year of Hell' two-parter, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ending was something along those lines, where literally nothing they did happened in the end. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've completely left myself in the dark about this game but now that a few episodes are out I'm thinking about getting into it. I really liked Gone Home, My So-Called Life (the show) and most video games about the mundane. Without spoiling anything, did the series more or less stay on that track or veer off into some retarded Square-Enix direction?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Things are starting to get pretty weird, but in an interesting way

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the illuminated statue is in Victora's room right after you start.
The first bird is actually a model on the principles desk.
The second is from when you're in Chloe's house, there's bird flying around downstairs which you can chase outside and photograph if you open the window.
And yeah the last one is Chloe and her dad, you have to pick up the camera off the kitchen side and take it before he moves off to find his keys.

I couldn't get the bird on the principal's desk to trigger. Is there something special I need to do first?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The prompt to take a picture of that bird is on Chloe, I think

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PunkBoy posted:

I couldn't get the bird on the principal's desk to trigger. Is there something special I need to do first?

Red Red Blue posted:

Yeah, the trigger is just really finicky to find as well, I probably spent a minute or two going 'this has gotta be it' before I found the right angle.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Red Red Blue posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the trigger is just really finicky to find as well, I probably spent a minute or two going 'this has gotta be it' before I found the right angle.

Awesome, thanks!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

exquisite tea posted:

I've completely left myself in the dark about this game but now that a few episodes are out I'm thinking about getting into it. I really liked Gone Home, My So-Called Life (the show) and most video games about the mundane. Without spoiling anything, did the series more or less stay on that track or veer off into some retarded Square-Enix direction?

The game is managing a nice blend of down to earth character development and time travel weirdness.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot of Gone Home style rooting through people's rooms! Square-Enix is just the publisher, not the dev, too. I think you'd enjoy this.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I love how no one gives a poo poo if you just root through their laptops and phones.

Max Caulfield: Future NSA Director

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I think dana or whoever the cheerleader is said something about it in the first ep. Also Max is frequently referred to as "nosy" which is kind of funny

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
This is one of the few games I've really gotten into this year. Just finished up episode three and wow, that ending. Gotta hand it to the devs so far, they're doing a really nice job.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I just finished up ep3. Oh man. It was all really good.

I felt the ending bit was sort of obvious once the twist happened. I bet Chloe's mom is dead in the new time line. Probably they were in a car accident.
Also, I wonder how much influence going into the picture past has. Did that Max remember that she'll get powers or not? If so why didn't see stay in contact with Chloe? Is it just that our Max doesn't get any of the new memories? There's a lot of questions like that I hope Ep 4 answers.

Something I realized about this game is that it's basically Ghost Trick meets Twin Peaks. It even has a sassy side kick who often comments about your powers. (ghost trick spoilers) Watch it'll turn out that Max was a cat all along.

Oh I forgot to mention. In the missing persons article on Max's computer mentions someone called "Sunshine Ray." Think they (or any of the other missing people) will come up or is it all just flavor? If it's just flavor then I wonder if that's a reference to something.

D_W fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 25, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd wager Max and Chloe drifted apart over time because they didnt have her Dad's death holding them together. Or whatever crippled her, if it happened before Max moved away.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fans posted:

The game is managing a nice blend of down to earth character development and time travel weirdness.
Yeah, its one of the rare few games that really pull of a slow pace and down to earth tone. You got your time shenanigans but the characters are given the most focus and it doesn't devolve into total silly bullshit like David Cage games do.

If you loved Gone Home you''ll love Life is Strange, they're both very human games which you don't get a lot of.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accordion Man posted:

If you loved Gone Home you''ll love Life is Strange, they're both very human games which you don't get a lot of.

This game is similar to Gone Home in the same way Starcraft is similar to a pinball cabinet, dude.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

It's similar to Gone Home in that it:
-Is set in the PNW, specifically Oregon.
-Stars a female protagonist who has been away from the area for a while.
-Allows you to poke around people's personal items in intense detail.
-Has a fascination with one specific genre of music.
-all about TEENS being TEENS.

That's more than a few things. I would say the people who enjoyed Gone Home would likely enjoy Life Is Strange. Unless you only play games for the mechanics and loved Gone Home because you could take every single pencil in a house and put them in one room or because you could meticulously arrange all the documents in chronological order. (People have done both.)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

D_W posted:

It's similar to Gone Home in that it:
-Is set in the PNW, specifically Oregon.
-Stars a female protagonist who has been away from the area for a while.
-Allows you to poke around people's personal items in intense detail.
-Has a fascination with one specific genre of music.
-all about TEENS being TEENS.

That's more than a few things. I would say the people who enjoyed Gone Home would likely enjoy Life Is Strange. Unless you only play games for the mechanics and loved Gone Home because you could take every single pencil in a house and put them in one room or because you could meticulously arrange all the documents in chronological order. (People have done both.)

Yeah, I loved Gone Home and I really like Life is Strange and I certainly thought that they had a similar feel.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

exquisite tea posted:

I've completely left myself in the dark about this game but now that a few episodes are out I'm thinking about getting into it. I really liked Gone Home, My So-Called Life (the show) and most video games about the mundane.

If you like time travel and indie movies with good music and hipster girls, you will love Life Is Strange.

exquisite tea posted:

Without spoiling anything, did the series more or less stay on that track or veer off into some retarded Square-Enix direction?

At the end of episode 3, Rachel Amber reveals herself to be Master Xehanort, using her power to create more and more copies of herself, while Max does the same except on belts.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just started playing this, and welp.

Chloe is a horrible, horrible, person. And I always let her get hers because people like her need the smacks in life to let her know that what she is doing is wrong. If anything this game fails in not allowing you to hit Chloe early and often. She is the poster child for spanking.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gaj posted:

I just started playing this, and welp.

Chloe is a horrible, horrible, person. And I always let her get hers because people like her need the smacks in life to let her know that what she is doing is wrong. If anything this game fails in not allowing you to hit Chloe early and often. She is the poster child for spanking.

I agree that Max needs more opportunity to call Chloe out on her being a poo poo but uh child abuse is wrong dude.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

bewilderment posted:

I agree that Max needs more opportunity to call Chloe out on her being a poo poo but uh child abuse is wrong dude.

I will agree with you on that. But in the medium that is that is this game, the only consequences that Chloe actually feels is physical; getting shot, hit, or shot again are the only consequences she feels. The boring real life escalation is Step-Douche taking away all of her luxuries and privileges, but she she would still end up with a gun, just like Nathan.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bewilderment posted:

This just in: Smacking an 18 year old is child abuse.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Larry Parrish posted:

This just in: Smacking an 18 year old is child abuse.
Well, it can be assault and battery instead if you'd like.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Forgall posted:

Well, it can be assault and battery instead if you'd like.

Yes, and he should have called the police to arrest Chloe for drug possession. And the game turns into a court drama. Could be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Gaj posted:

I will agree with you on that. But in the medium that is that is this game, the only consequences that Chloe actually feels is physical; getting shot, hit, or shot again are the only consequences she feels. The boring real life escalation is Step-Douche taking away all of her luxuries and privileges, but she she would still end up with a gun, just like Nathan.

You are aware she is a fictional character and doesn't feel that any more than she'd feel bad getting called out or arrested or put in a clown costume for the devs' amusement or whatever, right.

• Locked thread