Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Breath Ray posted:

Yes you can pull off the crackling. Personally I'm afraid of getting shards in between my teeth. Is the sushi bowl the crockery or is there actual fish in there?

It's what I call putting all the ingredients for sushi in a bowl because I can't be bothered to do the rolling. Pretend I made rolls with a side of edamame :v:

No fish, the yellow lumps are tamagoyaki.

redweird posted:

To get good crackling i normally pour boiling water over the skin then pat it dry and salt it. Then blast it at a higher heat initially. I rarely cook pork belly however as I am poor; this method works on pork leg and pork shoulder.

I did that but I blasted it at the end, maybe that was the problem. I also think I pulled it too soon because I was afraid of burning it.

Pork belly is definitely one of the cheapest meats here, which is why I'm experimenting. I usually just go vegetarian because I don't feel like blowing the equivalent of a week's worth of lunch+dinner vegetables on two chicken breasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Breath Ray posted:

Yes you can pull off the crackling. Personally I'm afraid of getting shards in between my teeth. Is the sushi bowl the crockery or is there actual fish in there?

The primary ingredient of sushi is the seasoned rice (vinegar, kombu, salt, sugar), not the fish.

PiratePing posted:

It's what I call putting all the ingredients for sushi in a bowl because I can't be bothered to do the rolling. Pretend I made rolls with a side of edamame :v:

You can also call it chirashi. :)

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

mich posted:

You can also call it chirashi. :)

Thanks! I knew it was a thing because a friend's Japanese wife makes it sometimes, but she just calls it "dinner".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah sushi restaurants very often have a chirashi dish which is just stuff on sushi rice, usually raw fish.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Quesadilla pizza, crust stuffed with aged cheddar, topped with buffalo mozzarella, oyster mushrooms, garlic buffalo sausage and parm.

I don't think there is enough buffalo.

G1M
Dec 6, 2013
I had a craving for anchovies for some reason...

A little tuna tapenade on a crostini with smoked provolone. Delish but pretty sure I exceeded my monthly sodium intake

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BURG THREAD CROSSPOST

quote:

BURG SO HARD, MUHFUCKERS WANNA CHEESE ME

THAT poo poo CRAY

gently caress yeah. Smashed burger best burger. Pretty normal burg, but the cheese was the nerdy as gently caress Modernist cheese slices with IPA, gruyere, and 10yo cheddar.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Garlic spinach feta pizza, cooked in an iron skillet.

That is some fine looking/sounding pizza :eyepop:

Was getting sick of buying a bunch of parsley for just a chopped tablespoon or whatever and watching the rest rot. It turns out parsley makes great soup!

Using up a few things, including some "novelty", tricolor heart-shaped pasta that was a gift. Stuff's rubbish - only one piece decided to remain a heart and not become a sad ribbon. So, not much to look at, but peas/broad beans/broccoli/prawns/lemon/mascarpone/basil is really sharp and zingy. At least the pasta had the decency to taste good, even if it was structurally unsound :argh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

PiratePing posted:

I usually just go vegetarian because I don't feel like blowing the equivalent of a week's worth of lunch+dinner vegetables on two chicken breasts.

I don't know how it is in the US, but its often the same price to buy a whole chicken in the UK as to get 2 breasts if you're after free range so you could just butcher it yourself

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

mich posted:

The primary ingredient of sushi is the seasoned rice (vinegar, kombu, salt, sugar), not the fish.

Not to me :)

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Sushi literally means "vinegared rice" though.

Jose posted:

I don't know how it is in the US, but its often the same price to buy a whole chicken in the UK as to get 2 breasts if you're after free range so you could just butcher it yourself

Same here! I do it sometimes, that's like 3 portions of meat plus plenty of stock. (My chickens are tiny)

Frankly I just loving love vegetables/fruit. I can afford more meat, but I often end up spending the money on cool stuff like asparagus. V:shobon:V

E: That's... not how it works.

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 25, 2015

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

PiratePing posted:

Sushi literally means "vinegared rice" though.

Again, not to me :)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I think the real question we need to ask is 'is sushi a sandwich'?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yeah

To clarify, a sushi roll is a sandwich because it is food encased in an edible covering which can be held, but is not completely sealed. For example, a taco is a sandwich because of the opening, whereas a meat pie is not a sandwich as the edible filling is completely encased by an edible covering.

Cha siu bao? Not a sandwich
Burrito? A sandwich
Burger? you better believe that's a sandwich
Ravioli? Not a sandwich

Schneider Inside Her fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 25, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is a burrito not entirely encased?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

redweird posted:

Yeah

To clarify, a sushi roll is a sandwich because it is food encased in an edible covering which can be held, but is not completely sealed. For example, a taco is a sandwich because of the opening, whereas a meat pie is not a sandwich as the edible filling is completely encased by an edible covering.

Burrito? A sandwich
Ravioli? Not a sandwich

It's not a sandwich if it doesn't involve bread. :colbert:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

redweird posted:

Yeah

Burrito? A sandwich
Ravioli? Not a sandwich

This means a folded slice of NY style pizza is a sandwich and you're a crazy person with a bad dictionary.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

sushi is actually more of a salad

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Moey posted:

I don't think there is enough buffalo.

You're right, but I couldn't find buffalo mushrooms and "buffalo crust" sounds nasty.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

beerinator posted:

This means a folded slice of NY style pizza is a sandwich and you're a crazy person with a bad dictionary.

New York has actual legislation stating what is/isn't a sandwich, for tax purposes. :911:

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/sandwiches.htm

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

canoshiz posted:

New York has actual legislation stating what is/isn't a sandwich, for tax purposes. :911:

seems legit

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Totally Reasonable posted:

sushi is actually more of a salad

Again, not to me :)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Scallop with Spirals!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Burgin'

Two smoked-chili beef patties, cheddar/monty jack, guacamole, salsa verde, chipotle mayo, a mix of jalapeno and poblano and serrano peppers, queso fresco, and onion/lettuce/tomato garnish.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Scallop with Spirals!

I haven't had a scallop in so long, I would probably savor that single scallop for half an hour.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

canoshiz posted:

The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance posted:

Sandwiches include cold and hot sandwiches of every kind that are prepared and ready to be eaten.

Mmhmm. Nice try. Now please define what a sandwich is without using sandwich in your definition.

Karia fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 26, 2015

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
I really like whole hog BBQ, but I don't have a rig that can fit a whole hog. So today I tried smoking a few, individual cuts of pork - shoulder, belly, ribs, ham, in hopes of recreating some of the flavor. Obviously if it's not all in the same skin it's not quite the same, but I'd say it was pretty good, and noticeably different than eating a shoulder on it's own.

I chopped it up, tossed it in vinegar, some brown sugar and chili flakes. Also made some pickles and mustard sauce.

I enjoyed it.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

An inspired original recipe: Trout by the Bank of the River.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

An inspired original recipe: Trout by the Bank of the River.

poo poo I didn't name my food.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Woof! Woof! posted:

I usually just name all my food Poop by the Way of the Butt
:goonsay:

Here are some things I cooked up this weekend:

Beef tongue pastrami

Vietnamese lemongrass pork belly

Breakfast this morning of homemade andouille, pea shoots and a fried Americauna egg. Green eggs are cool.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

It's clearly called "NICK EDDIE" :colbert:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Scallop with Spirals!

Crap that looks nice!

last time I had scallops was in a restaurant, the menu stated scallops in brown butter with hazelnuts and cauliflower.
The actual dish: scallops from the freezer (or just old), with a few dots of mashed cauliflower and some dark brown/black stuff,
which I mistakenly thought was some crushed and baked hazelnuts, but happened to be burned pieces of cauliflower.
It could've been so good...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

feelz good man posted:

Beef tongue pastrami

!!!

Looks incredible.

Here's my low-effort Memorial Day food that actually came out pretty well:

Boneless chicken thighs with BBQ sauce, cucumber salad, bacon-wrapped cream cheese stuffed banana peppers (yes it's turkey bacon, the woman doesn't eat the regular kind :()

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

feelz good man posted:

Beef tongue pastrami

Jesus, that looks amazing.

I did this warm bean salad thing I saw on seriouseats, with canned butter beans and some day-old no-knead bread:

I thought it was pretty damned good, but only until I saw your pastrami.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

franco posted:

It's clearly called "NICK EDDIE" :colbert:

I like to think the meat is Nick, and the pile of veg is Eddie. And they're plate pals.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feelz good man posted:

Breakfast this morning of homemade andouille, pea shoots and a fried Americauna egg. Green eggs are cool.

:swoon: wanna eat dat

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

feelz good man posted:

Beef tongue pastrami

wow!!

puts my leftover half eaten burrito and multiple pounds of refried beans from cancun to shame. still gonna relish eating it tho!

seriously tho, for those familiar with the sf burrito place cancun (i go to the one further down mission) if you order a large side of refined beans they fill up one of those full meal sized take out containers to the brim for $4! i've been eating on it for 3 days now, just making up fresh batches of rice as i go.

last night i made an 'indian' version using rice cooked with butter, turmeric, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and a couple cardamom pods, topped with homemade raita, mango pickle, and pickled turnips. no pics because you can imagine what that looked like combined with refried beans, but it was incredible! the pickles added some much needed texture!

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Thanks everyone!!

feelz good man posted:

This finally got put to good use. Here is a banh mi with liver spread, homemade do chua and some maggi mayonnaise:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

feelz good man posted:

Beef tongue pastrami

Wow... can you share that recipe?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Wow... can you share that recipe?
Sure!

Brine:
1.5 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons instacure 1
1 gallon water
Cinnamon sticks, cloves, dried peppers, allspice, coriander seeds, black pepper, juniper berries

Rub:
2:1:1 of black pepper:juniper berries:coriander seeds

Smoke with applewood until tender but sliceable (we're not gunning on pulled pork or something, so it's not going to be a hell of a long time)'

I didn't get pictures of it, but tonight I made a PLT with crispy fried slices of pastrami, tomato and lettuce on some toasted sourdough with a homemade garlic aioli. Unf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

feelz good man posted:

Sure!

Brine:
1.5 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons instacure 1
1 gallon water
Cinnamon sticks, cloves, dried peppers, allspice, coriander seeds, black pepper, juniper berries

Rub:
2:1:1 of black pepper:juniper berries:coriander seeds

Smoke with applewood until tender but sliceable (we're not gunning on pulled pork or something, so it's not going to be a hell of a long time)'

I didn't get pictures of it, but tonight I made a PLT with crispy fried slices of pastrami, tomato and lettuce on some toasted sourdough with a homemade garlic aioli. Unf.

When did you peel the tongue? And how'd you get it off without cooking the tongue before smoking it?

• Locked thread