Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Blendy posted:

Also how do I join ITGO group
Assuming you mean ITGO on KGS, it looks like somebody added you.

Anybody else who wants access to ITGO on KGS, just post in this thread.

(We used to have a public room named SA where you could ask for access but it no longer exists.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
check out the stunt i pulled here

http://eidogo.com/#A3dw4Itw

start at move 187

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Hello!

I've played Go on and off for a few years and recently decided I want to take it seriously again. I'm cperdue on KGS, my current rank is 8k and falling.

This is my most recent game. All comments appreciated.

Also, I would like access to ITGO.

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 2, 2022

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

mycophobia posted:

Hello!

I've played Go on and off for a few years and recently decided I want to take it seriously again. I'm cperdue on KGS, my current rank is 8k and falling.

Great!
Added you.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

mycophobia posted:

Hello!

This is my most recent game. All comments appreciated.

Welcome! We also have a group on OGS: https://online-go.com/group/8

Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm always up for correspondence games. As for the game above:

mv15: F14 seems like an odd place to attack as you've allowed her to run between your groups. I actually think you should have left it alone as it's harder to attack than it looks, or at least try something with more potential like G17 which nets you points.

mv43: Way too small! The following sequence just throws points at white. I think some kind of approach at O3 or even 3,3 invasion would be better...

mv51: I think this group has too much going for it now for such a bold attack. Again the priority should be breaking up white's potential in the bottom right/left. Let the result of this play dictate an increasing extistential threat on the D14 white group

mv58: Your attack starting at mv51 essentially gave your opponent an extra stone when you allowed him to take sente

mv61: Your group is safe, this was a wasted move imo

mv65: Finally! But it's too late now.

In summary I think you were too hasty and agressive with your moves. You played a lot of moves that were quite severe, and then tried to save the attacking stones when it didn't work out. Having said that, fighting spirit is important

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Great, thanks. It's weird to be described as too aggressive when a buddy of mine (was 2k on KGS a while back) often describes me as "way too passive", though I was consciously trying to attack more in that game.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
one of these go clients should add achievements. then everyone would play

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Xom posted:

Assuming you mean ITGO on KGS, it looks like somebody added you.

Anybody else who wants access to ITGO on KGS, just post in this thread.

(We used to have a public room named SA where you could ask for access but it no longer exists.)

Ah sorry, I meant OGS. Work is keeping me too busy to get on KGS often. I can play correspondance games at work but not live ones.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

one of these go clients should add achievements. then everyone would play

Achievement unlocked: Successfully escaped 9 games

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

mycophobia posted:

Great, thanks. It's weird to be described as too aggressive when a buddy of mine (was 2k on KGS a while back) often describes me as "way too passive", though I was consciously trying to attack more in that game.

Yeah and it think it's a good technique to try different extremes and then 'pull back' to find the right balance. The problem I saw with many of the attacking moves is that you were attacking as if you wanted to kill the group outright, which is only realistically possible once you have a scenario where you can actually know for certain if it's life or death. Early/mid game attacking is all about threatening to kill or surround, and taking profit from it indirectly

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

Achievement unlocked: Successfully escaped 9 games

i've platted this game already

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the tournament... has started!

i am black in all my games except the ones against the dan players. hmm

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh, and pander. i guess its not a conspiracy

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Looking forward to the reviews...

Is mita va a goon? I think people see the SA group on the listings and request invites and they get mistaken for goons. Which is a shame because blendy has missed out on this tourney due to the ten player limit.

Quad maybe we should do a little purge - ask people we don't recognise if they indeed have stairs in their house

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
He might be, I've played quite a few games against him now and at the very least he seems a cool dude so there's that. Next tourney (that I'll set up when like half of these games are settled) I'll do a regular elimination thing, I don't think those have limits on # of people.
Edit: I wonder if any goons that reg'd after like 2005 even get the stairs reference? The front page isn't exactly set up to encourage browsing old articles.

Quad fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 18, 2015

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Probably not, I was being tounge-in-cheek ...

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Quad posted:

Edit: I wonder if any goons that reg'd after like 2005 even get the stairs reference?

quote:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
mita plays fast. already finished our game.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
We should do a live tourney instead

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
aint nobody got time for that

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
but yah i would like a live tournament

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
gently caress correspondence

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Correspondence is all I have energy for right now, but I'd fit a live tourney into my schedule. Though if anyone is near the La Crosse WI area I'll be starting a go club at work soon My new library is pretty dope and AGF gave me boards and stones.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
score exactly 100 points in a game.

achievement unlocked?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

But I'm always stuck playing as white :ohdear:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
but seriously one of you programmer folks should make a facebook go app with achievements. govangelism!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

This tournament was a terrible idea because I'm the lowest ranked and probably gonna get murdered in like 10 concurrent games.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Don't worry, you stand a decent chance against me. I've been so focused on work and Netrunner that I'm sure my own rank has slipped.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

This tournament was a terrible idea because I'm the lowest ranked and probably gonna get murdered in like 10 concurrent games.

Stand up for yourself and play the very best you can. If you want a review, just ask!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

o.m. 94 posted:

Stand up for yourself and play the very best you can. If you want a review, just ask!

Yeah that came out more negative than I meant. I'm actually pretty excited about so many games going on at once, and yeah reviews from any/all would be cool. I feel like I'm at the point where the early intermediate concepts are starting to stick, but I still lack the eye for seeing where to strike globally, solving L&D, and setting good nets.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My game with oiseaux is done, and it felt pretty close for most of the game. Could someone who knows more go then me give some comments?
https://online-go.com/game/2059903

I have read that the sequence after move 3 should be good for white, but I can never make it work well for me.

move 39: I was tempted to give up the g12 group for some moves on the top here.
move 67: I thought I was pretty far behind after giving him those
I felt like I managed to reduce the top right more then I should have.
move 138: I couldn't find a way to get a good result without the ko here, was there one?
move 142: I thought the bottom right was larger then the top left, especially if I save the b14 stones. No idea if that was correct.
move 146 : I misread something and thought that I could still get a ko in that corner, which cost me the b14 stones.
Then we get into endgame, I counted and thought I was ahead by komi. The score estimator on ogs is the worst I have ever seen.

There should be some way to bring these comments into a game on ogs, but I don't know how.

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004

Pander posted:

You stand a pretty good chance against me as I haven't actually played in 3+ years. I bet my rank is closer to yours now than what it was previously (14~15k).

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

"[i posted:

The Art of Learning[/i], Josh Waitzkin,"]Like myself, [my opponents'] psychological nuances in life manifested over the board. I would watch a rival tapping his feet impatiently while waiting for an elevator or carefully maneuvering around his peas on a dinner plate. If someone was a controlling person who liked to calculate everything out before acting, I would make the chess position chaotic, beyond calculation, so he would have to make that uncomfortable leap into the unknown. If an opponent was intuitive, fast, and hungering for abstract creations, I would make the position precise, so the only solution lay in patient, mind-numbing math.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Quad posted:

He might be, I've played quite a few games against him now and at the very least he seems a cool dude so there's that. Next tourney (that I'll set up when like half of these games are settled) I'll do a regular elimination thing, I don't think those have limits on # of people.
Edit: I wonder if any goons that reg'd after like 2005 even get the stairs reference? The front page isn't exactly set up to encourage browsing old articles.

I signed up in 2013 and can confirm I am protected.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Is KGS still home base for the goons, or are people migrating to OGS? I'd rather focus my games on whichever server y'all are more likely to play on.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ogs for correspondence, kgs for live play is what most people are doing i think.

though at my level (11k) its kind of hard finding a game on kgs sometimes, so i end up playing on igs a lot.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Okay, just started my first correspondence game! Let's see if I find it any easier on my nerves than live games.

Challenge me to a correspondence game! I'm around ~20k probably, but I don't care what your rank is!

e: username "giogadi" in the SA group

giogadi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2015

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Kgs is far superior as a platform and has more players. You need to install java which is a pain however, and you don't have correspondence games there. Also OGS goon chat is completely dead, I gave it a shot some months ago an never saw anyone online. Maybe it's better nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IMlemon posted:

Kgs is far superior as a platform and has more players. You need to install java which is a pain however, and you don't have correspondence games there. Also OGS goon chat is completely dead, I gave it a shot some months ago an never saw anyone online. Maybe it's better nowadays.

Not too much noise in the OGS goon chat, but maybe that's cause this thread is a fallback for communication and people just talk within the game-specific chat.