Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In a fabulous show of competence, Dynamite put the wrong Swords of Sorrow tie-in up on Comixology (but not in bricks-and-mortar or any other digital storefront?) this week. I'm not THAT bothered because I'm planning to get the whole event, but it's still a little irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anything good in the Boom! sale?
https://www.comixology.com/Boom-Recent-Hits-Sale/page/6737

I think I heard good things about Midas Flesh?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've heard good things about Wild's End.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herobear and the Kid is fan loving tastic if you are a human being who can understand joy.

But it's apparently on the KaBOOM! imprint and isn't on sale.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as i just mentioned in the Indie thread, i love what i've read of Clive Barker's Next Testament. recommended for fans of Barker or Mike Carey's Lucifer.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Thinking about jumping from an iPad mini to a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8-inch. What is the favored app for reading CBR files on Android?

Currently happy with ComicZeal on iOS and since it would be a smaller tablet, the vast majority of comics would be read in landscape mode.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

There's three I've got in the sale but only two I've read so far: Day Men is a pretty nice take on the old "Vampires run the world in secret" type of story focusing on one of the humans employed by one family as a kind of hit man working during the sunlit hours, hence the name.
Deep State is kind of an action-y X-files/non comedy Men In Black which I also enjoyed.
I've only read issue 1 of Dead Letters but it looks like it could be good.

Is Dejah Thoris worth getting or is it just cheesecake? Should probably point out I quite enjoy things like Vampirella.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vampirella looks conservatively dressed next to her haw haw

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Fashion-Beast-Sale/page/6749?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Black-Panther-Sale/page/6768?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-Week-8-Sale/page/6738?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Justice League of America (1960) #50-55, 100-108
Booster Gold (2007) #1-20
Freedom Fighters (2010)
:siren: Plastic Man (2003) :siren:
Unlce Sam and the Freedom Fighters (2006)

https://www.comixology.com/IDW-Comics-for-Kids-Sale/page/6750?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Assorted collections.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Midas Flesh is definitely good. I enjoyed the art, concept, and execution. Ending wasn't perfect, but not terrible, either--and it was a hard story to end. Worth the buy.

I enjoyed the three-issue mini Memetic as well. Weaponized memes, pretty solidly in the "buy it if the concept intrigues you" category.

edit: Whoops, too late, I guess.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Memetic was an ok cosmic horror story, but not a compelling weaponized meme story.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What was that Ellis (I think) story about weaponized memes? Was it an issue of Global Frequency?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, the first issue of X-men '92 is an "Infinity" comic, which means it was specifically laid out for digital. So you have word bubbles that disappear on the page, panels that overlay other panels, and so on. I'd recommend checking it out even if you aren't interested in the book, because I thought it was actually pretty interesting. I don't know if I like it necessarily or if its The Future of Comic Books, but it's worth a look.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

IDW/Top Shelf Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

March, Parker, lots of Locke & Key and Alan Moore, and a fictional, sexual, autobiography by Jess Fink.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't know if I like it necessarily or if its The Future of Comic Books, but it's worth a look.

It's a hell of a lot better than motion comics. I remember Batman '66 used it to good effect. Some of the Guardians of the Galaxy also did some neat things with it to convey action.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

It's a hell of a lot better than motion comics. I remember Batman '66 used it to good effect. Some of the Guardians of the Galaxy also did some neat things with it to convey action.

Oh have they been around for a while? This is the first one I've seen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, they've done some here and there. When Daredevil relaunched they did an entire miniseries in the format.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, I don't see them getting a lot of press these days. They pop up from time to time.

You can find a bunch here:
https://www.comixology.com/search/series?search=infinite+comic

I remember the Ultimate Spider-Man one being neat (and free!).

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
So, I picked up Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers run when it went on sale a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at a reading list because I know the stories are sort of intertwined, and it looks like there is an event around Avengers 13/14. How necessary is that? Am I going to be totally lost if I just read these two series?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're gonna need Infinity.
e: Just the miniseries and A/NA. Not any other branded tie-ins.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 27, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah Infinity is absolutely critical to the rest of the run, but luckily, it's real good too.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
So just Infinity #1-6, then? Or Against the Tide Infinite #1-2, as well? (I just looked at what was in the Comixology collected edition for Infinity, and it's those issues and the stuff from A/NA.)

Thanks!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't know if I'll ever buy individual Marvel issues ever again since I gave Unlimited a try. It's ridiculously easy to fall down a hole while reading comics now.

You remember all those little caption boxes at the bottom of panels that would say Read Thor #85 For More On This, True Believers!? Don't mind if I do! Oh, they mentioned Genosha? Guess I'll go back and read Grant Morrisson's run on X-Men from 2001! Oh, superhero civil war? Sure, I'll read all of that ever!

No Phalanx Covenant, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Russad posted:

So just Infinity #1-6, then? Or Against the Tide Infinite #1-2, as well? (I just looked at what was in the Comixology collected edition for Infinity, and it's those issues and the stuff from A/NA.)

Thanks!
#1-6. NA/Avengers during Infinity aren't really tie-ins as much as they are integral and serialized parts of the story, but the back of each comic during that time have a reading order for the event.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You don't need Against The Tide. It's Silver Surfer trying to save a Skrull society from some of the Infinity antagonists, or something.
The first one came in the back of the Infinity #1 digital issue when it was new. No idea if it still does.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 27, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

My favourite one was actually the Nova prologue for AvX. It had a rad-as-gently caress focus pull from Sam to the Phoenix chasing him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The best of Marvel's Infinite Comics is far and away Deadpool: The Gauntlet. It has a lot of fun with the format and it's a great story as well. Most Infinite books are just kind of lazy and bring in the panels/word balloons one a time. Deadpool actually has art changes and transitions within the panel and I would imagine reading it in the physical version would lessen the experience quite a bit.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Deadpool posted:

The best of Marvel's Infinite Comics is far and away Deadpool: The Gauntlet. It has a lot of fun with the format and it's a great story as well. Most Infinite books are just kind of lazy and bring in the panels/word balloons one a time. Deadpool actually has art changes and transitions within the panel and I would imagine reading it in the physical version would lessen the experience quite a bit.

The bit with Marcus the centaur's bio is my favorite infinite bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shawn posted:

The bit with Marcus the centaur's bio is my favorite infinite bit.

That's my favorite character too, he's so dumb but so great. I love that Duggan is putting him in the new Howling Commandos ongoing. But yeah that's one of the gags that I just can't see how the physical copy replicated it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Deadpool posted:

That's my favorite character too, he's so dumb but so great. I love that Duggan is putting him in the new Howling Commandos ongoing. But yeah that's one of the gags that I just can't see how the physical copy replicated it.

Was there a physical copy? I thought the Infinity issues were digital-exclusive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Phylodox posted:

Was there a physical copy? I thought the Infinity issues were digital-exclusive.

Yeah it was released in single issues as Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet. I don't buy physical issues anymore though so I never saw it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I've seen them repackage the comics as physical copies before. Though it's a bigger DC thing snagging three or four digital issues at a time and putting them out as a book.

Annoyingly, with the Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comics, they repackaged them as a comic, removed the Infinite Comic issues from comiXology, and sold a copy of the static comic in digital format instead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Deadpool posted:

Yeah it was released in single issues as Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet. I don't buy physical issues anymore though so I never saw it.

Did it tie in with anything else? I'm reading Poeshn's Deadpool run and it relates to this, but Unlimited only starts at issue 5 for some reason

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I bought the trade, but haven't cracked it open yet, since I had already read it digitally. I can take pictures tomorrow.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

So the physical book does Marcus' intro like this and you miss out on the updating bio:

Original:

Shawn fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 29, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Fantastic-Four-by-Jonathan-Hickman-Sale/page/6834?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

F4 and FF

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shawn posted:

So the physical book does Marcus' intro like this and you miss out on the updating bio:

Original:

Yo, it's 2015. You can upgrade from Windows 2000 now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yo, it's 2015. You can upgrade from Windows 2000 now.

But 8.1 is scary and changed how the Start menu looks! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

It's windows 7, but I always change the look to classic, because it's what I like.