Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i got burned on supreme leader 2010 or whatever, battlegoat is one of those studios with no followthrough and no post-release patch support

They do update their poo poo, just very infrequently.

If Supreme Ruler had an AI that made the slightest bit of sense it would be a good game. As it stands, the relationship and casus belli bars drift around arbitrarily, trade deals make zero sense, and the AI has no apparent motivation. A stark contrast from games like EU4 where it's clear what's driving the AI and how to exploit the situation. Even if you wrap your brain around the interface and game mechanics, you're left with a boring, bland world that doesn't react much to you and pretty much just waits patiently for you to leisurely conquer it. I think the AI in SR2010 literally didn't even build units at all, it just played more or less like static enemies in RTS games.

I'm hoping for some mods for HoI4 that give the cold war era some love, I think it's fertile ground for great gameplay. Hell, most of the mechanics that are neccesary have already been done in Clausewitz. Things like spheres of influence and nukes. Just script an AI that can play a compelling cold war opponent and you're set.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm hoping for some mods for HoI4 that give the cold war era some love, I think it's fertile ground for great gameplay. Hell, most of the mechanics that are neccesary have already been done in Clausewitz. Things like spheres of influence and nukes. Just script an AI that can play a compelling cold war opponent and you're set.

I don't think Hearts of Iron has the right focus to be a good Cold War game, though. East vs West had wayy too much Hearts of Iron with customizable ships in it, and it just didn't look good at all.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Twilight Struggle should be out on PC this summer, and ought to have a robust multiplayer and (hopefully) a competitive single player AI.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I got a basic idea for a Commander: TGW graphics mod to replace the unit art options, would people be interested in something like this?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
CTGW is one of the very few grog games I don't feel the need for counters in. But that looks good aswell.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I got a basic idea for a Commander: TGW graphics mod to replace the unit art options, would people be interested in something like this?

Very much so! Those look great.

I'm a huge crab when it comes to toy soldier icons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alchiki I'm ready to concede our Case Blue game. For holding Mozdok the German High Command has decided it's time to go on the offensive with First Panzer and ordered me to take Grozny plus 3 other cities in the Caucasus :negative:

I got some kicks in and I think I have a couple more left in me, but nothing that can alter the course of this game. Stalingrad's about to get liquidated and there's nothing I can do to plug the massive gaps in the north and south of my lines. I'd love to play another round but on the long Case Blue scenario where I start facing a massive Soviet offensive but it isn't the case that there's nothing I can do to stop it.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So is Uranus unwinnable for the Germans then?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

maev posted:

So is Uranus unwinnable for the Germans then?

Theoretically they could have withdrawn in decent order instead of getting a truly remarkable amount of men surrounded. Is that winning?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Alchenar posted:

Alchiki I'm ready to concede our Case Blue game. For holding Mozdok the German High Command has decided it's time to go on the offensive with First Panzer and ordered me to take Grozny plus 3 other cities in the Caucasus :negative:

I got some kicks in and I think I have a couple more left in me, but nothing that can alter the course of this game. Stalingrad's about to get liquidated and there's nothing I can do to plug the massive gaps in the north and south of my lines. I'd love to play another round but on the long Case Blue scenario where I start facing a massive Soviet offensive but it isn't the case that there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Yeah, that's fair, Stalingrad is doomed - although I'm definitely running out of steam. You were a hex away from reconnecting with ZOC earlier! Feel free to set up another game, I'm all for it, any scenario/side you like.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm playing a TOAW game against a friend and I feel like scenario designers put way too much faith in Russia's army...either that or we're majorly hosed but the Russians are almost at Warsaw and I've thrown all my cards down with Germany, France, the Czechs, US and even Danes defending Poland and Russia still punches through like nothing

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alikchi posted:

Yeah, that's fair, Stalingrad is doomed - although I'm definitely running out of steam. You were a hex away from reconnecting with ZOC earlier! Feel free to set up another game, I'm all for it, any scenario/side you like.

The problem is that I'm completely strung out and now out of supply even with airdrops, with no depth and gaps in the line the forces in the pocket are about to totally collapse. And that's before we talk about the 10-15 hex gap in my lines in the north that has only a two-brigade Romanian Panzer division and a Tiger battalion behind it. I might be good but that's not enough to do miracles with.

I've had a wonderful experience in feeling like Manstein must had done, but the next few turns can only result in the rapid and total collapse of my position.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What are my best options to get my Caesar on?

Hegemony: Rome doesn't count (I have a love/hate thing going on with this series), and I'll probably require some convincing for Alea Iacta Est (eww, AGEOD).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Hegemony: Rome doesn't count (I have a love/hate thing going on with this series), and I'll probably require some convincing for Alea Iacta Est (eww, AGEOD).

Honestly you aren't going to do better than Rome: Total War, just play it and enjoy for what it is.

e:

:negative:

e2: challenge issued, pw lljk

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 24, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lichtenstein posted:

Caeser 3 is probably the only other good one. That's not really grog though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a game on (free) Steam Early Access called Demise of Nations that's a hex-based WEGO strategy game set in Ancient Rome. It's EA so make of that what you will, and it has Civ-like city management aspects, but it might be worth looking into.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That doesn't look very grognardy, tbh - more like Civ 5. Might still be a fun mp game, though, even if f2p is always scary - but they claim that there's no "pay to win" aspects at all. Someone try it out!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Who has the Warsaw to Paris turn file, its been way to long. Give us a heads up on whats up with the turn.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ElBrak posted:

Who has the Warsaw to Paris turn file, its been way to long. Give us a heads up on whats up with the turn.

Army Group B, I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ElBrak posted:

It's either dtkozl or maev

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Dtkozl isn't even playing, you guys just keep sending him emails for no reason.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 24, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm really surprised there aren't more WWIII grog games, I'm hunting for good ones

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm playing a TOAW game against a friend and I feel like scenario designers put way too much faith in Russia's army...either that or we're majorly hosed but the Russians are almost at Warsaw and I've thrown all my cards down with Germany, France, the Czechs, US and even Danes defending Poland and Russia still punches through like nothing
Trotsky's War?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Hunterhr posted:

Trotsky's War?

Armageddon 2015, also all of Africa and the Middle East go pro Russia

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Lichtenstein posted:

Great Battles Collectors Edition, the three games of the Great Battles series, Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm really surprised there aren't more WWIII grog games, I'm hunting for good ones

Flashpoint Campaigns is the newest/best.

And if the guys who made CMANO were remotely savvy then they'd already have a half dozen scenario packs out and be producing them as fast as humanly possible. But they're not.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Flashpoint Campaigns is the newest/best.

And if the guys who made CMANO were remotely savvy then they'd already have a half dozen scenario packs out and be producing them as fast as humanly possible. But they're not.

A-10As over Denmark

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I wish they would because its a great game, there are a few really really good user scenario's that show what someone who knows what they are doing can achieve with it, ones that have kept me playing it for hours on end, but i have run out of those :(.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'd really enjoy some Iran-Iraq war games. Probably work best on the operational or strategic level but CM-style stuff would be great too.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Polyakov posted:

I wish they would because its a great game, there are a few really really good user scenario's that show what someone who knows what they are doing can achieve with it, ones that have kept me playing it for hours on end, but i have run out of those :(.

Which ones are the really good ones? I have limited gaming time so I'd like to only focus on the most worthwhile.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

pthighs posted:

Which ones are the really good ones? I have limited gaming time so I'd like to only focus on the most worthwhile.

The ones that come with the game are of a pretty good quality, but from the community pack:

Anything written by Feltan is a great one for a longer game.

Goodnight Irene
Under African Skies
Havana Daydreamin'

Are 3 really good ones for setting a theme and story to what you are doing, they aren't necessarily particularly challenging but what he does is put a large amount of effort into the plot and context which just makes them really enjoyable to play, the fact that their objectives develop as you go on means they can suprise you.

The Five Powers is a very challenging and very fun scenario (though i think the person that wrote it meant for infinite resupply at bases to be on and it isn't by default), took me 2-3 tries to actually beat it properly, and The Big Stick was another fun one.

Its not an exhaustive list but those 5 are the ones i have had the most fun with, i tend to look for ones with high complexity ratings and look at the briefing material you get given early on in the scenario, typically people that spend a lot of time giving you good briefing material also produce an interesting scenario, i don't tend to like the less complex ones because playing them tends to come down to just spotting the trick that the scenario author had in mind and executing it, which is usually arranging it so you unload all your missiles at once at a single target.

E: Though i havent tried any of the new community pack and a few of those looked really promising.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 25, 2015

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Me and gradenko_2000 are still playing our War Plan Orange game and I am enjoying it a lot. But a dark fear eats at my heart, the American fleet. With the lack of long range recon provided by planes, you have a real lack of information on what the other player is doing.

You can use ships to scout, but that means splitting ships into small recon fleets. Which can also be easily smashed by bigger fleet unless you use a very cautious commander to command them. The most useful scouting ship is the Battlecruiser being long ranged, heavily armed enough to deal with anything smaller than itself, and fast enough to run from anything bigger. But they are also useful for catching enemy convoys of supplies and covering landings on hostile shores, so you get reluctant to split them up.

So far I've captured Wake and Midway which puts me in striking distance of Hawaii and the major fleet base there. That works both ways of course, and opens me to easy attack, which would be a relief at this point as it would give me some idea where all his ships are. Though with my luck he might have hooked his hole fleet down and around and is gonna attack me from Australia, we will have to see.

Some other general thoughts about WPO: The Japanese really get boned in what aircraft they do get access to. Their fighters and torpedo bombers are all range 1, the fighters they have can upgrade 6 times, but the upgrades are basically meaningless the final fighter on the upgrade list have very slightly more durability and maybe speed. The Americans have fighters that upgrade is very different ways, and access to fighters with range 4, and torpedo bombers with range 2. The longest range Japanese plane, a recon flying boat has range 5, and the Americans also have the same plane. As the Americans and Japanese bought them from the Italians I believe. On the other hand the Americans have access to recon blimps, one of which has a range of at least 10+, though i will admit it takes a long time to build up a large amount of these long range blimps.

All and all though I am having fun playing it, even if i go mad worrying where the American fleet is, and it makes me appreciate WITP:AE a lot more for all its quality of life imporvements

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sounds like a fun goon vs. goon game but aren't you worried that like half of what you posted about your strategy and concerns is actually opsec? Gradenko reads this thread y'know :ssh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's historical if the japanese had crappy signal secrecy at the time :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
None of what he just posted is anything that I didn't already know. He's right that the lack of planes and long-range scouting just leaves you in the dark about most of the Pacific until a fleet just comes out of nowhere and zaps you - at one point he hit Sri Lanka and I was just waiting for the troops to come ashore.

One thing I will note though is that a lot of the Chinese troops are in lockdown and it's letting ElBrak run roughshod over most of Manchuria. I'll have to really buckle down one of these weekends and sort out that front.

ElBrak posted:

So far I've captured [...] Midway

Ok now I really want to see what happens when I open up the turn later.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

None of what he just posted is anything that I didn't already know. He's right that the lack of planes and long-range scouting just leaves you in the dark about most of the Pacific until a fleet just comes out of nowhere and zaps you - at one point he hit Sri Lanka and I was just waiting for the troops to come ashore.

One thing I will note though is that a lot of the Chinese troops are in lockdown and it's letting ElBrak run roughshod over most of Manchuria. I'll have to really buckle down one of these weekends and sort out that front.

Ok now I really want to see what happens when I open up the turn later.

Heh well I thought you might already know i was doing a invasion of Midway so i felt safe saying that I took it. I was thinking I could do scouting with my sub fleet, but they aren't much use. They can't see anything really, and since they have no reaction setting, they can't really chase after task forces that might pass near them. Plus the fact that pushing subs out to major fleet bases means they can't linger long before they auto return to refuel.

One thing I just thought of that makes the lack of recon a asset, mining. Mine everything all day every day. Sail your mine ship up and poo poo mines in a enemy harbor, poo poo mines in a straight, fill the ocean.

I played a game of WPO with dthkol before the one i am playing now, he was japan and i was the allies. And one of things he brought up was he didn't know what to do with his mine layers. So during this game with gradenko I decided to just go crazy with them. Sailing them out anywhere he might sail ships through, or ports he might use, or just dumping them where i am landing troops to make it harder for him to raid the the landing ships with surface fleets.

Japan's ML are mostly really slow converted cargo ships that can do 9 knots and carry 60 mines, so you gotta be patient. On the other hand japan also has 3-4 mine laying cruisers who can do 20+ knots and can carry up to 200 mines. So one night your harbor might be visited by the mine fairy and you wake up to 200+ mines in your harbor. Good fun.

Oh ya the china stuff, during my first multiplayer game, i know that there is like 2 Chinese infantry divisions that can move and a Chinese cavalry division. All the HQs can move, which can be useful. I found it best to set all the Chinese divisions to no replacements unless they were being attacked. Of course keep the movable divisions on Allow Replacements. Also I believe all the units in shanghai can be moved and there is a large amount of Assualt Value in those units.

One tip i will give you is to set all your bases to stop building airfield, port, and fortifications. And then go through and pick and choose what ports really need to expand, what airfields really need to be built, and so on. This can really help in China as you only got so much supplies to go around, and is a good idea to do in general for all your bases.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 26, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Is anyone interested in a C:tgw game or maybe a Guadacanal Witp scenario? I just finished one and my WITP game has stalled so I have some extra time for pixelman battles.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

ElBrak posted:

Heh well I thought you might already know i was doing a invasion of Midway so i felt safe saying that I took it. I was thinking I could do scouting with my sub fleet, but they aren't much use. They can't see anything really, and since they have no reaction setting, they can't really chase after task forces that might pass near them. Plus the fact that pushing subs out to major fleet bases means they can't linger long before they auto return to refuel.

One thing I just thought of that makes the lack of recon a asset, mining. Mine everything all day every day. Sail your mine ship up and poo poo mines in a enemy harbor, poo poo mines in a straight, fill the ocean.

I played a game of WPO with dthkol before the one i am playing now, he was japan and i was the allies. And one of things he brought up was he didn't know what to do with his mine layers. So during this game with gradenko I decided to just go crazy with them. Sailing them out anywhere he might sail ships through, or ports he might use, or just dumping them where i am landing troops to make it harder for him to raid the the landing ships with surface fleets.

Japan's ML are mostly really slow converted cargo ships that can do 9 knots and carry 60 mines, so you gotta be patient. On the other hand japan also has 3-4 mine laying cruisers who can do 20+ knots and can carry up to 200 mines. So one night your harbor might be visited by the mine fairy and you wake up to 200+ mines in your harbor. Good fun.

Oh ya the china stuff, during my first multiplayer game, i know that there is like 2 Chinese infantry divisions that can move and a Chinese cavalry division. All the HQs can move, which can be useful. I found it best to set all the Chinese divisions to no replacements unless they were being attacked. Of course keep the movable divisions on Allow Replacements. Also I believe all the units in shanghai can be moved and there is a large amount of Assualt Value in those units.

One tip i will give you is to set all your bases to stop building airfield, port, and fortifications. And then go through and pick and choose what ports really need to expand, what airfields really need to be built, and so on. This can really help in China as you only got so much supplies to go around, and is a good idea to do in general for all your bases.

I just read a book about the WW1 german campaign in the Baltic vs the russian fleet right before the bolshies took over and the naval part of it was completely dominated by strategies on mine removal, so you guys are probably doing it pretty much historically.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The Baltic theater was just a million times worse due to the restricted waters. This is a Swedish mine chart from 1919:

Key:
Minefield
Area of scattered mines
Risky area
Line of mines
Minefree routes
Wreck

All it's missing is the traditional "here be sea monsters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The book is about about taking Osel and Dago so if you can try and imagine trying to shove a couple of battleships in through those straights to provide support that's pretty much what it was. The really interesting thing was the Russians had all dissolved into soldier's committees and like half of them would get scared and then take a vote to gently caress off, it was an odd way to fight a war.

The Baltic is an extreme example for mines but I dunno, after playing silent hunter 4 it just seems like it would be too easy to gum up the important ports like Singapore. Shallow, lots of islands just seems like it would have been a nightmare to get surface ships close enough to actually help even without those big surface guns protecting the harbor. It seems obvious how much air power eased stuff like Singapore campaign and how radical the changes were in those few interbellum decades to what was possible at what cost.