Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I was hoping they had something like this, cool.

AzureSkys posted:

Blast from the Past was removed in this last update, sadly.

Permanently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

brennon posted:

How much should warrior tanking be leaning on dodging (roll, dashes, moving attacks) vs stationary defense (cross parry, death from above, tanking with torrent/flurry etc)? I'm not sure if I'm loving with people by dodging around and turning the enemy sometimes.

It's been a couple of years since I've played my Warrior, but assuming nothing has changed you'll generally want to keep stuff as still as possible. If the need arises, and it probably will, you can use the more mobile stuff, just try to keep the boss facing away from the group.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Also finding out that gathering is time-gated (and apparently the timer is account-wide?) was kind of a kick to the nuts. I can harvest a plant every 25 minutes. :downs:

e: And some quick googling indicates the newbie island area got chopped down/simplified at some point, there's a whole area with an NPC camp that you are never sent to and there is nobody there/no quests relating to it. Also, apparently there was one of those videos involved, since the little movie button on the character select screen has an entry for 'The Sword of Elleon' or something that I couldn't find a way to unlock.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 24, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I really like the idea behind Mystic healing. Just poop out balls all over and let people run over and pacman it up when they get hurt...

The best thing about Mystic is that almost nobody is bright enough to actually pick up the heal balls, it's just astounding how dumb people are.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Flesh Forge posted:

The best thing about Mystic is that almost nobody is bright enough to actually pick up the heal balls, it's just astounding how dumb people are.

Did people get really dumb over the years? I'm stuck in "reliable source sending corrupt data" hell, but when I actively played, the Mystics would dump heal balls in a big clump and anyone who took a big enough hit would always break off and grab some.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I would say about 20% of people I've teamed with up to level 50 have ever broken off DPS/tanking and picked up a heal ball when they were in trouble. Keep in mind the smart ones probably didn't need that much healing in the first place so this is weighted towards the dumb ones, and also this is only to level 50 so it's entirely possible most of these people have only been playing for a couple of days. Also a bunch of people playing apparently don't understand English because whenever I'd say something like "hey guys pick up the heal balls or you might die" never got a response.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

I think the dude actually had an entire avatar weapon inside him and I broke it when I killed him. :stare:

EDIT:

:(

Pierson fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 24, 2015

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So a friend and I are going to get into this. They're probably going to be a Lancer and I'm torn between Priest and Mystic. I know I've read that the Mystic is slow as balls to level but I'll be in a duo almost all the time.

I'm really unsure which is going to be more suited to me. Buffs from the Mystic sound nice, but is the Priest better at healing / making things dead?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Innerguard posted:

So a friend and I are going to get into this. They're probably going to be a Lancer and I'm torn between Priest and Mystic. I know I've read that the Mystic is slow as balls to level but I'll be in a duo almost all the time.

I'm really unsure which is going to be more suited to me. Buffs from the Mystic sound nice, but is the Priest better at healing / making things dead?

There's a dude who makes class overview vids on youtube, he seems to be pretty through with going over what abilities each class gets.

Priest video

Mystic video

This guy's videos are basically how I chose a class (I went Mystic :emo:)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Innerguard posted:

Priests slam things with their staff like they're mini-berserkers, jump around with explosions, and make lightning explosions from their hands. Mystics plop down a little guy on a pedestal who does all the work and then just walk around dropping balls. Pick priest.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

WarLocke posted:

There's a dude who makes class overview vids on youtube, he seems to be pretty through with going over what abilities each class gets.

Priest video

Mystic video

This guy's videos are basically how I chose a class (I went Mystic :emo:)

Haku's videos are based off the game as it came out though, so many things will be incorrect now - particularly mystics who got their entire pet system overhauled, lancers who got wallop, and warriors getting an actual block.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

megalodong posted:

Haku's videos are based off the game as it came out though, so many things will be incorrect now - particularly mystics who got their entire pet system overhauled, lancers who got wallop, and warriors getting an actual block.

Aww, lame, I didn't know that.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Me and a friend are trying this game out tonight and I was wondering if it was super pay to win. From what I've seen the gameplay looks more involved for an mmo and I like that but pay to win stuff irks me.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Red Suit posted:

Me and a friend are trying this game out tonight and I was wondering if it was super pay to win. From what I've seen the gameplay looks more involved for an mmo and I like that but pay to win stuff irks me.
Kinda. The cashshop is all about mounts and costumes, and being Elite won't actually hand you better equipment, it'll just give you more opportunities for it, like an extra reward box at the end of a dungeon. Think Guild Wars 2 rather than Rift.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Red Suit posted:

There's cosmetic stuff and the standard XP boosters and whatnot but it also allows you bypass Korean RNG crap for cash so it is slightly pay to win.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

Kinda. The cashshop is all about mounts and costumes, and being Elite won't actually hand you better equipment, it'll just give you more opportunities for it, like an extra reward box at the end of a dungeon. Think Guild Wars 2 rather than Rift.

Good cause we also tried rift and I think gear slots were locked behind a pay wall

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah none of that bullshit. It's all stuff like "free players complete a dungeon and get a box of random items, elite players get two boxes" or "free players can complete 10 kill-missions per day for extra exp, elite players can do 20". Also Elite players get gift boxes with stuff like exp boosts and maybe cosmetic pets.

Nothing as terrible as Rift which last I heard let you literally buy endgame weapons and armor.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

The best part of elite is the book that let's you teleport to any town. I've been spoiled by FFXIV because that stuff is standard there (GW2 too).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The travel thing doesn't bother me too much but then I'm new and a large part of what I like about the game is the tourism aspect.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

The travel thing doesn't bother me too much but then I'm new and a large part of what I like about the game is the tourism aspect.

I'm new too (I finally got past te Lumbertown bit and just moved on to the 15-20 zone northeast of it) but so far the only 'tourism' I've noticed is admiring the (admittedly gorgeous) scenery. There doesn't seem to be any hidden easter eggs or weird little nooks off the beaten path - every area so far has been a network of paths with some off-road area to the sides but otherwise linear. Am I missing something?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There are some things that are a little out of the way, like the mansion, bridges, and ruins around Velika. But, yea, the tourism aspect is from the beautiful environments you'll go through. Places like the vibrant magical forest of Poporia's capitol, the tainted magical academy in Poporia, the winter wonderland of ice and snow in the western continent's mountains, or the jungle on the western continent with it's luminescent flowers and gigantic fishbeasts lurking in the deep water.

If I can get past the patcher anytime soon, I think I'll go on another world trip to take more travel pictures.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I'm new too (I finally got past te Lumbertown bit and just moved on to the 15-20 zone northeast of it) but so far the only 'tourism' I've noticed is admiring the (admittedly gorgeous) scenery. There doesn't seem to be any hidden easter eggs or weird little nooks off the beaten path - every area so far has been a network of paths with some off-road area to the sides but otherwise linear. Am I missing something?

Where you are now is basically redneck lumbjerack area (hence the name). Be sure to pan the camera around while flying into and out of regions because there are tons of odd points of interest with their own special architecture. If you just powerlevel to 65 through whatever is the most efficient method you'll never see most of this stuff, but the quest lines take you to most of them (at least to where I am at 50). The odd thing right now with the double xp event going on is that you're always going to be outleveling the quest branches.

Once while leaving an area on a pegasus flight I looked back and some loving gigantic flying fish/airship thing was coming up on the town I had just left. In scale I would say it was around 150 meters long. What the gently caress.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Zweihander01 posted:

The best part of elite is the book that let's you teleport to any town. I've been spoiled by FFXIV because that stuff is standard there (GW2 too).

Completing one of the story quests around the mid forties gives you one of these. It lasts for ten days I think? I still have a bit over a week left on mine. It comes in handy as that's also the point that following the story starts bouncing you back to Allemanthia after every quest.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I managed to get back into this game. And I think I need all the help. Like, just a level 8 priest and I forgot where to go for "Into the Gorge".

Also, general "welcome back you forgetful sack of poo poo" tips would be great.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Pierson posted:

All TERA classes have at least one way to dodge huge murderdamage and some get several so of course don't expect most players to use any of them except walking.

Underrated post

Flesh Forge posted:

Once while leaving an area on a pegasus flight I looked back and some loving gigantic flying fish/airship thing was coming up on the town I had just left. In scale I would say it was around 150 meters long. What the gently caress.

Those are used as Skycruisers in the endgame for the Valkyon Federation. Fixing the Portal to North Arun(which should probably still be a wasteland after the High Elves just accidentally The Core there that one time) lets you port one in with fresh soldiers in a pretty neat cutscene. One is even used as THE Endgame Dungeon. I've been told that Skycruiser Endeavor Hard Mode is the breaker of IMS groups.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

I was hoping they had something like this, cool.
Permanently?
As far as it seems. It was just stated as removed in the patch notes. There have been a good bit of dungeons and areas removed over the years. Some come back a bit revamped, but I imagine it was to either clear resources for newer stuff or give focus to them.

At least during this 2x XP time, doing story quests is really all that's needed to not out-level them too fast (they're the gold color ! quests). I don't remember which, but one of the later ones gives an OK inner wear armor thing that is otherwise expensive or grindy at end game. Also, browse through the achievements to see some nice things that are awarded upon completion from titles to pets to gold to gear. You can go back any time to do any quest. I've been running through a few for achievement purposes and it is nice to quickly one shot stuff. The only thing that ends is instance matching for dungeons under 60, but you can still do them solo or in a pre-made party if you go to their entrance.

For the cheapskates, teleport scrolls are more expensive than using a teleportal, so once you've unlocked a location go to a town's teleporter and get there thriftily!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

widespread posted:

So I managed to get back into this game. And I think I need all the help. Like, just a level 8 priest and I forgot where to go for "Into the Gorge".

Also, general "welcome back you forgetful sack of poo poo" tips would be great.

You can click on keywords in quests and it'll highlight where it is on the map.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

One of my characters got a permanent "Teleport to Elfsville" power with an hour long cooldown, where did that come from? The character is high elf but I don't think it's racial?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Flesh Forge posted:

One of my characters got a permanent "Teleport to Elfsville" power with an hour long cooldown, where did that come from? The character is high elf but I don't think it's racial?

It is racial, actually. Some get Velika, some get Kaiator, High Elves get Allementhia.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Logging into an MMO after it went F2P is an experience let me tell you. My bags which were mostly empty are now completely full of login bonus and cheevo stuff.

Also I apparently have a bitchin' lion mount but I don't know why. :psyduck:

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
I think you get Kimba the white Lion from having the collectors edition, along with some good dragon weapon skins

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Silhouette Wires posted:

I think you get Kimba the white Lion from having the collectors edition, along with some good dragon weapon skins

The Frost Lion and skins are from the CE. There are also some accessories in there that are not garbage.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So I played this game for an hour and it seems fun. However I was a bit dumb, didn't read the OP and downloaded the EU version. Were you guys exaggerating about how lovely Gameforge are or should I delete this and download the NA version immediately?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ultimately it's your own choice as customer service probably isn't something you'll encounter unless you screw something up really badly. The only objective difference is that most goons are playing on the NA server.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So yes you're probably better off on the EU server.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

croutonZA posted:

So I played this game for an hour and it seems fun. However I was a bit dumb, didn't read the OP and downloaded the EU version. Were you guys exaggerating about how lovely Gameforge are or should I delete this and download the NA version immediately?

Gameforge is the devil. If you value your time delete and get the NA version

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

KaneTW posted:

Gameforge is the devil. If you value your time delete and get the NA version

I asked earlier in the thread and noone said why, could you elaborate? I know at launch they were behind on content patches but that's not true anymore, is it?

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Speaking of content patches, does anyone here have forbidden Korea knowledge on how that Berserker tank/warrior buff patch went? Did warriors become godmode OP, was Berserker tank worth anything?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

I asked earlier in the thread and noone said why, could you elaborate? I know at launch they were behind on content patches but that's not true anymore, is it?

Their CS is garbage, their servers are garbage, everything the company does is garbage. It literally gives no fucks about its customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Do you have any specific examples? Because that is just a bunch of hate boner stroking. It really isn't helpful for people who are trying to make a decision.

• Locked thread