Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Nakar posted:

The thing is, those are laws. Laws that per the delay enforced by game mechanics took a long time to formulate and impose through the country, literal generations between rulers. People might roll back some of the restrictions imposed in recent years but there's a big difference between that and "let's get rid of all the laws and change the way succession works." That's totally not within the power of a regent to do, and anyone trying to do so is essentially sparking a civil war, but regents apparently never fight these factions. It also assumes that all vassals in all kingdoms at all times are somehow unhappy with the ruler's dynasty and/or the centralization of their rule and want independence, which is completely the opposite of the case in many instances historically and ignores things like all your vassals really liking the current king and/or his heir or the fact that they probably voted for the increased CA at some point. A regency is a prime opportunity to press a faction's demands, but it shouldn't be automatic and it shouldn't be allowed to happen multiple times.

It's really loving weird in a game about dynastic politics that there's no, uh, continuity of opinion I guess you would call it. You can be Caesar reborn but when you kick the bucket and your two year old son takes the throne, your vassals will hate the poo poo out of that kid. I want an actual CK3 more and more these days; CK2's a good game but it's been around long enough that it feels like it needs an actual overhaul instead of just more expansions.

Oh yeah while I'm spitballing something I thought of today: There really needs to be an option to hilariously gently caress up your succession on your deathbed. Legitimize a bastard! Promise the kingdom to two different guys! gently caress your cousins too much and threaten the balance of European power! It could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I will cheat those pretty borders if the AI won't loving make it themselves. :colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tulul posted:

Oh yeah while I'm spitballing something I thought of today: There really needs to be an option to hilariously gently caress up your succession on your deathbed. Legitimize a bastard! Promise the kingdom to two different guys! gently caress your cousins too much and threaten the balance of European power! It could be fun.

You can already? Change succession law at the last moment, legitimize bastards, nominate a different successor, etc. Hand major titles to random family members.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Also, if you haven't cheated to play as the Teutonic Order then you are missing out.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Tulul posted:

It's really loving weird in a game about dynastic politics that there's no, uh, continuity of opinion I guess you would call it. You can be Caesar reborn but when you kick the bucket and your two year old son takes the throne, your vassals will hate the poo poo out of that kid.

Yeah this is kind of part of the problem right here. "The legitimate heir of the emperor we all loved to death just took over? gently caress that guy!" - All vassals everywhere all the time

I get it from a gameplay perspective, there has to be some instability, but it doesn't make tons of sense the way it is.

Instead of just getting a fraction of dynasty prestige when they are born, what if they got some sort of bonus to personal prestige based on the prestige of close family members when they died? It would give the emperor's landless son at least a bit of an opinion boost when he took over and it kind of makes sense that being the son and rightful heir of "Such and such the Glorious" should come with some sort of notoriety... If they didn't accomplish much in their reign then their heir isn't looked upon as highly.

Definitely agree that regents shouldn't be dropping CA by multiple levels in one regency anyway (maybe a 10-15 year cooldown on lower CA factions if they are successful) or really changing the way succession works at all, just let that civil war happen.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TheBlackRoija posted:

Definitely agree that regents shouldn't be dropping CA by multiple levels in one regency anyway (maybe a 10-15 year cooldown on lower CA factions if they are successful) or really changing the way succession works at all, just let that civil war happen.

The weird thing is that, looking at the vanilla event to see about modding it, a regent should already only be able to drop CA on their own (as in, without being hit by a lower CA faction or dropping it some other way) once, by one step, for any given liege's lifetime (I assume this was a recent change). If people are still getting hit with that event multiple times it may actually be worth filing a bug report.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tinkle posted:

You can designate a regent. And with certain traits (I know Just for sure) they wont gently caress with your titles/land/crown authority.
That's not actually true, at least for the problem mentioned - the 'regent complicit in crown authority reduction' only checks that a regent exist. They get no actual decision in the matter, and their traits are irrelevant.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
It's probably more along the lines of one regent does it and then "for reasons outside your control" a new regent appears and repeat.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's probably more along the lines of one regent does it and then "for reasons outside your control" a new regent appears and repeat.

There might be another event that does this (it is 5 am and I haven't done a comprehensive search), but the one in regency_events.txt sets a flag on the liege, not the regent, which means that it can only happen once per liege regardless of how many regents cycle through.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Also, if you haven't cheated to play as the Teutonic Order then you are missing out.

What

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well so I managed to make the Empire of Scandinavia, but while I was out to conquer Zeeland and finally reform the faith, the great emperor Harald Fairhair croaked of old age.

Of course two of his sons broke off and created Svibjod and Finland, installing themselves as kings. Now all three of us have poo poo for armies and fragmented poo poo (I have Norway and Denmark, my brothers the other two kingdoms), I managed to reform the faith so this shouldn't happen anymore with normal gavelkind, but how do I get my kingdoms back? They won't accept vassalization... Do I have to conquer them one county at a time? :stare:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Did you get claims? Even if you didn't, start cooking up a little intergenerational plan to reunite the realms. Marry some cousins, stab some heirs. Focus your warfare on the fruits of Europe.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Been doing an Alexiad play through. I haven't done as well as I would like, but I had to deal with a barbarian invasion and a major Shia jihad lead by Fatimid Egypt. Also, the Welsh slowed me down by winning a Crusade for southern (Anatolian) Greece. Had to nibble away at that one province at a time. Just got a Sunni Jihad called on me, but I think they'll have their hands full, the Pope called a Crusade for Jerusalem a few days later.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 24, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Did you get claims? Even if you didn't, start cooking up a little intergenerational plan to reunite the realms. Marry some cousins, stab some heirs. Focus your warfare on the fruits of Europe.

Silly me, I had claims. Great scandinavia is restored, and I also went feudal... Though all my vassals are still tribal, only my demesne had stone forts. Will this bite me in the rear end? What should be my next move? It's 929 or thereabouts.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Charlz Guybon posted:

Been doing an Alexiad play through. I haven't done as well as I would like, but I had to deal with a barbarian invasion and a major Shia jihad lead by Fatimid Egypt. Also, the Welsh slowed me down by winning a Crusade for southern (Anatolian) Greece. Had to nibble away at that one province at a time. Just got a Sunni Jihad called on me, but I think they'll have their hands full, the Pope called a Crusade for Jerusalem a few days later.

Why aren't you breaking truces to holy war the sultanate of Rum for the rest of it? You've got plenty to spare.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ooh the big boy can say fag and bitch and cheat at 1 player videogames.

yeah tell these nerds how a real man plays a games

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

yeah tell these nerds how a real man plays a games

Smash those straw men down brother. Alt f4 those little shits into oblivion.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Smash those straw men down brother. Alt f4 those little shits into oblivion.

lol you called people pathetic cheaters from your ivory tower where all the games men embrace lovely mechanics not working accurately because they're the toughest, most baddest shut ins humanly possible. no straw man necessary.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

lol you called people pathetic cheaters from your ivory tower where all the games men embrace lovely mechanics not working accurately because they're the toughest, most baddest shut ins humanly possible. no straw man necessary.

You don't get to lol when you're losing your poo poo like this, I'm afraid. Calm down, you may cheat as much as you want, but I reserve the right to say whatever the gently caress I want about it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
sure but i can still laugh at you for not just being a gigantic nerd, but a gigantic elitist nerd.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

To get away from out of game squabbles and back to ingame squabbles are you supposed to constantly get prompts to initiate a duel? My guy's dad was a duelist but the current guy is more or a diplomat but the game keeps giving me the prompts that I associate with his dad who was of a more disagreeable disposition.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is there any fix to the slow down that occurs when a single save has been going on for too long? I've got a 769-start Roman Empire game that's in the 1100's now and it slows to a crawl when I unpause the game.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You don't get to lol when you're losing your poo poo like this, I'm afraid. Calm down, you may cheat as much as you want, but I reserve the right to say whatever the gently caress I want about it.

Maybe you should go outside, get a breath of fresh air, and evaluate your perspective on life. Insulting people on the internet over how they choose to play video games isn't the hill you should choose to die on, honestly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Yes, this is what happens.

Dallan Invictus posted:

There might be another event that does this (it is 5 am and I haven't done a comprehensive search), but the one in regency_events.txt sets a flag on the liege, not the regent, which means that it can only happen once per liege regardless of how many regents cycle through.

If this is true, then either it's bugged or the devs at some point decided "nah, let's let regents do it over and over" and didn't use the flag after all, but forgot to remove it entirely.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I dont like how dueling automatically gives a -10 if you kill the guy by showing no mercy. Can you even kill people by default, or is wounding the best you can do?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, this is what happens.

If this is true, then either it's bugged or the devs at some point decided "nah, let's let regents do it over and over" and didn't use the flag after all, but forgot to remove it entirely.

Okay, so I have looked into this more thoroughly now. There are precisely two ways in vanilla that CA can be lowered on its own in a regency:

1) through a Lower CA faction firing off and "the regent being in on the plot". This can happen an infinite number of times and, despite the text, like Strudel Man says it doesn't actually check if the Regent would approve.

2) through the Regent on his own. This can, assuming anything works sensibly, only happen once, because the event both sets the flag on the liege and checks for the flag on the liege.

Further, it can only happen if your regent is landed. I'd think it would be more appropriate for this requirement to be on the Lower CA faction - the regent only being in on the plot if the regent is actually in on the faction. Or maybe the regent gets the ultimatum and chooses based on opinion and traits and other such factors? IDK, but on the bright side it means I don't have to propose/do anything to fix this for CK2+ (since its faction demands work differently and always go to the liege regardless of a regency - if you can win the resulting civil war, go nuts!)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

1) through a Lower CA faction firing off and "the regent being in on the plot". This can happen an infinite number of times and, despite the text, like Strudel Man says it doesn't actually check if the Regent would approve.

Yeah, this one is the bullshit mechanic we're all bitching about.

A standalone mod that just takes that idiotic mechanic out (or at least checks on whether your Regent likes you or stands to lose if you lose, etc., but just taking it the hell out would be better than what we have now) would also be very nice. I may just do that myself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm poking through regency_events.txt now and drat, man... I have 300 hours of CK2 and I have never seen 75% of these events.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, this one is the bullshit mechanic we're all bitching about.

A standalone mod that just takes that idiotic mechanic out (or at least checks on whether your Regent likes you or stands to lose if you lose, etc., but just taking it the hell out would be better than what we have now) would also be very nice. I may just do that myself.

I haven't played with the vanilla faction system in years, is Lower CA really that unstoppable of a faction? The way everyone sounded so helpless about it I thought they were talking about the unstoppable event rather than a faction that the game gives you (arguably not enough, arguably not reliable enough) tools to work against.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Lower Crown Authority faction that the Regent is in on IS an unstoppable event. It doesn't result in an ultimatum; it just results in your crown authority going down and you have no say in it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Lower Crown Authority faction that the Regent is in on IS an unstoppable event. It doesn't result in an ultimatum; it just results in your crown authority going down and you have no say in it.

Yes, but it only occurs as a result of the same decision that triggers a faction ultimatum when there is no regent. That one only fires when a lower CA faction gets enough power (75% is a hard minimum, 100% and 150% make it a ton more likely).

I was curious if it was really inevitable that Lower CA would get that much power because I don't remember vanilla factions that well, but there are a lot of factors in your average regency that make it harder to restrain factions (short reign/youth opinion penalties, low stats leading to less effective bribes and low troop counts, etc.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 24, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well, if you're in a childhood regency you're eating a short reign penalty so in a lot of cases yeah, especially in a large empire there's going to be enough vassals under the factioning threshold in their opinion of you, and Lower CA is always the most popular faction. Which explains why in a regency it will fire over and over. The fact remains that there is gently caress-all you can do about it and the regent automatically caving to the faction every time is bullshit.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I'm pretty sure you can't even send gifts to make faction members like you, unless your regent approves.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dallan (or anyone), do you know where the events file for faction demands is? Hell if I can find it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dallan (or anyone), do you know where the events file for faction demands is? Hell if I can find it.

Faction demands are all in events\plot_events.txt - the conditions for them to be sent are in decisions\faction_decisions.tzt.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

I've been trying to get a LP set up for it, but I can't figure out what to do exactly.

It's fun though, I got granted a bunch of land in Sweden for nothing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Faction demands are all in events\plot_events.txt - the conditions for them to be sent are in decisions\faction_decisions.tzt.

Thanks. So commenting out the "Regent is in on the Lower CA plot" code entirely should skip that step and result in the demand being presented to the liege directly. A clunky workaround, but probably still preferable to the stupidity that is your CA going straight to Autonomous Vassals every time you have a lengthy regency.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

I've been trying to get a LP set up for it, but I can't figure out what to do exactly.

It's fun though, I got granted a bunch of land in Sweden for nothing.

Do you game over when you die or does it continue properly?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Yashichi posted:

Do you game over when you die or does it continue properly?

You keep trucking along as the next guy. No dynastic issues; new guy could be of a different dynasty. Also you can't marry.

You can't play as the Hashashin unfortunately, game crashes if you check the religion tab.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

sure but i can still laugh at you for not just being a gigantic nerd, but a gigantic elitist nerd.

It says a lot more about you and how you view your hobby than me, when the only way you can argue with someone is to repeatedly cry nerd like a brainless fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It says a lot more about you and how you view your hobby than me, when the only way you can argue with someone is to repeatedly cry nerd like a brainless fool.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just keep playing and fix it you loving baby. That's the game. You can plan for every eventuality, but if you're cheating past every spanner in the works what the gently caress is the point.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't care what little pathetic rules you have concerning what is and isn't cheating. Its cheating and it happens rarely enough that I just take in on the chin and carry on. You have like 500 years to fix that crap.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ooh the big boy can say fag and bitch and cheat at 1 player videogames.

The level of cognitive dissonance here is astonishing. I feel like I should use one of "irony" emotes.

• Locked thread