Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Love and Monsters" is more enjoyable when you realise it's about Doctor Who fans and the villain is Ian Levine.

Speaking of that gobshite, anyone see this? It's a young child dressed as Matt Smith's Doctor, interviewing TOM:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/05/mini-matt-smith-meets-doctors.html

So of course, Levine goes on Twitter and makes fun of the kid.

Oh, and for a palate cleanser:

https://twitter.com/seanpertwee/status/602263012582404097

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of that gobshite, anyone see this? It's a young child dressed as Matt Smith's Doctor, interviewing TOM:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/05/mini-matt-smith-meets-doctors.html

And don't forget the kicker where he only gives a half-assed apology because he's told afterwards that the kid had autism, so meaning he would be completely justified if the kid didn't have autism.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

I recently watched BBC 4's northern soul documentary from last year, and it's become quite clear to me that Levine probably owes most of his worldly success to the fact that he has a rich dad who could afford to take him on holiday to America every year and buy him a tea-chest full of soul 45s.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like the bit in Kill the Moon where they seriously suggested that no creature would lay an egg right near a food source, and that no animal would kill other creatures just in order to reproduce.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently watched BBC 4's northern soul documentary from last year, and it's become quite clear to me that Levine probably owes most of his worldly success to the fact that he has a rich dad who could afford to take him on holiday to America every year and buy him a tea-chest full of soul 45s.

He found some lost episodes you know. And he wrote the theme for K9 and Company. Just you remember that, you ingrates. REMEMBER THAT HE IS THE BEST AT LIKING DOCTOR WHO.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
SICK TO HIS STOMACH

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
He personally dove into the fire to retrieve the first Dalek serial and you will bow to his almighty greatness.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so I just watched Listen and it's the first episode of Doctor Who that has completely lost me. I just couldn't follow it at all after the halfway mark. I mean I THINK I get it, but then I have no idea what the whole part about the ship at the end of time was all about, and what was opening the airlock. How did Clara end up at the barn? I am just so :psyduck: because it was going great then the episode shifted into overdrive and went hundreds of feet over my head.

Maybe it needs a second watching.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Martytoof posted:

OK so I just watched Listen and it's the first episode of Doctor Who that has completely lost me. I just couldn't follow it at all after the halfway mark. I mean I THINK I get it, but then I have no idea what the whole part about the ship at the end of time was all about, and what was opening the airlock. How did Clara end up at the barn? I am just so :psyduck: because it was going great then the episode shifted into overdrive and went hundreds of feet over my head.

You know how in a lot of monster movies you have someone say "it's probably the house settling...or maybe it's something else"? This episode makes it genuinely ambiguous as to whether something is out there or not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Martytoof posted:

Telepathic interface. Stick your hands in the TARDIS's gooey bits and think really hard about where you need to go. It's not normally used, because it overrides a shitload of safety features or something. Hence why it managed to get to Gallifrey.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They took the safeguards off so the Tardis could telepathically take Clara to when she had the ankle-grabbing dream, but because she was thinking about Danny they ended up in Danny's childhood. The Doctor dropped her off and tried to find the time she'd had the dream by himself, and the Tardis took him to someone connected with Clara's timeline, Orson Pink at the end of the universe. When the equipment started going screwy and the Doctor got knocked out Clara used the telepathic thing to try to get them away, and as a result the Tardis took them to somewhere connected with the Doctor, the barn or whatever he slept in when he was a kid. She hid under the child Doctor's bed when he was waking up so he wouldn't see her and when he got out of bed she reflexively grabbed his ankle, ultimately causing the Doctor's fear of the dark which was what was actually behind the events of the episode all along.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
In other minor "the writers don't understand science" kerfuffles, it also features the Doctor asking what a creature that only evolved to hide would be like

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In other minor "the writers don't understand science" kerfuffles, it also features the Doctor asking what a creature that only evolved to hide would be like

Wouldn't that be like a trapdoor spider or any of the numerous animals that look like their surroundings?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are we supposed to assume that the thing on Danny's bed in the orphanarium was just some random alien thing then? Sorry, I should have mentioned that I got that the Tardis safety was off and The Doctor slaved it to her timeline, but I didn't really put two and two together as to why it took her to the Gallifrey barn I guess, unless she was just thinking of The Doctor at the time, which is pretty plausible now that I think about it.

I'm going to have to re-watch it because I really wanted to enjoy it but for most of the second half I was just like "this is pretty cool but I have no idea what the gently caress is happening".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Martytoof posted:

Are we supposed to assume that the thing on Danny's bed in the orphanarium was just some random alien thing then?

Supposedly it was just another kid playing a prank on him. Or maybe it wasn't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Burkion posted:

Wouldn't that be like a trapdoor spider or any of the numerous animals that look like their surroundings?

Or the weeping angels or the Silence for that matter!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

SICK TO HIS STOMACH

LOWER THAN A COCKROACH

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

eg. Peppered moths

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm of the opinion that when the episode starts off with and continues showing the Doctor being an idiot, maybe it's just about the Doctor being an idiot.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

computer parts posted:

Supposedly it was just another kid playing a prank on him. Or maybe it wasn't.

It was just a normal, everyday human ghost.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Xenogenesis posted:

I'm of the opinion that when the episode starts off with and continues showing the Doctor being an idiot, maybe it's just about the Doctor being an idiot.

"The Doctor is a moron who doesn't know anything" is an underexplored part of the show's mythos, true

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"The Doctor is a moron who doesn't know anything" is an underexplored part of the show's mythos, true

That isn't fair. He's an a moron who doesn't know anything with a magic box and screwdriver.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There better be a joke in the new series where he leaves a door open somewhere and someone says 'Were you born in a barn?' and he just says 'Actually, yes.'.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He's always pretty excited when he finds something he doesn't already know all about, and he's open minded to the possibility that unlikely new things could exist, like vampires (that turn out to be space fish). So it isn't out of character for him to explore the idea that there might be invisible things all around us. 12 doesn't delight in the unknown the way 11 did, so he's worried rather than excited.

Except . . . either there was nothing there and he freaked out about a kid playing a prank and unconsciously wrote on the chalkboard himself without noticing, or there really was something there at least some of the time, and he just walked away from it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

happyhippy posted:

There better be a joke in the new series where he leaves a door open somewhere and someone says 'Were you born in a barn?' and he just says 'Actually, yes.'.

Which reminds me of the thing that just makes me sperg like nothing else, whenever they land somewhere and they wander off and leave the Tardis door open.

The assembled hordes of Genghis Khan couldn't get through those doors (unless I leave them open)!

(Of course that leads to my secondary sperging at HOW DID THE DOOR CLOSE WHERE ARE THE CONTINUITY PEOPLE ARGH)

Yes I know it's unreasonable. I usually can ignore those things, but sometimes it just stands out. Kinda like Tennant's hair at the climax of DOTD, it changes how it's spiked from one shot to the next.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

That isn't fair. He's an a moron who doesn't know anything with a magic box and screwdriver.

Which is better than Tennant's intergalactic know-all. "Ohhhh, it's one of those!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Burkion posted:

She called him a stick insect in a previous episode

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

He's always pretty excited when he finds something he doesn't already know all about, and he's open minded to the possibility that unlikely new things could exist, like vampires (that turn out to be space fish). So it isn't out of character for him to explore the idea that there might be invisible things all around us. 12 doesn't delight in the unknown the way 11 did, so he's worried rather than excited.

Except . . . either there was nothing there and he freaked out about a kid playing a prank and unconsciously wrote on the chalkboard himself without noticing, or there really was something there at least some of the time, and he just walked away from it.

There was nothing there. Finally, an episode without a monster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

whatsabattle posted:

Which reminds me of the thing that just makes me sperg like nothing else, whenever they land somewhere and they wander off and leave the Tardis door open.

The assembled hordes of Genghis Khan couldn't get through those doors (unless I leave them open)!

(Of course that leads to my secondary sperging at HOW DID THE DOOR CLOSE WHERE ARE THE CONTINUITY PEOPLE ARGH)

Yes I know it's unreasonable. I usually can ignore those things, but sometimes it just stands out. Kinda like Tennant's hair at the climax of DOTD, it changes how it's spiked from one shot to the next.

Haha I'm ashamed to say this bugs me as well. Everytime they step out and walk away leaving the door open I turn into Stringer Bell.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, when does the new season start?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tarquinn posted:

So, when does the new season start?

August.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I'm burning through the Capaldi season pretty quickly and I love the direction they took the show. Clara went from "gently caress this poo poo" to "okay I guess I'll keep going" pretty quickly though. I'm about to hit the Forest episode though and you've all adjusted my expectations appropriately :q:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Martytoof posted:

Well I'm burning through the Capaldi season pretty quickly and I love the direction they took the show. Clara went from "gently caress this poo poo" to "okay I guess I'll keep going" pretty quickly though. I'm about to hit the Forest episode though and you've all adjusted my expectations appropriately :q:

Those two episodes following Clara deciding to give up traveling with the Doctor were amazing. Mummy was brilliant (that moment the Doctor "shoots" himself is incredible) , then Flatline was even better (the banishment scene in particular), and anything would have been a letdown after that.... but Forest took advantage of the situation :mad:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It took me ages to realise that the Doctor saying "are you my mummy?" was actually quite a clever ref because the mummy in that episode was in a very similar situation to the Empty Child. Layers upon layers!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK Forest wasn't amazing but having just watched it, I don't think it was altogether godawful. It was pretty middling tbh. I think there's a ton of episodes that were much worse.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I liked Forest just fine as a mediocre episode until everyone started pointing out the unfortunate implications about mental health. I recall that being the general trend when it aired, it seemed like most people had meh first reactions until we got to deconstructing it. It's one of those episodes that's more memetically bad than obviously bad. Which is why I think I'm going to hedge like hell whenever Occ gets to it. Kill the Moon had a much more immediately visceral reaction from people.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 25, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You could fix the mental health stuff and you'd still be left with a fantastically stupid episode about non-burning trees and where the protagonists have no impact on the plot.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You could fix the mental health stuff and you'd still be left with a fantastically stupid episode about non-burning trees and where the protagonists have no impact on the plot.

Sure, but it's not really bad, it's just another random filler episode that you could skip. Other than the mental health poo poo, the episode is just fantastically there to me. Like, "yes, that sure is an episode of Doctor Who that aired. Not much else to say about it." It's just like Love and Monsters is mostly kind of a sloppily written tongue in cheek episode about Doctor Who turbo nerds until we get to the Abzorbaloff and the blowjob cinderblock.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So the end of S8 was really good aside from the fact that UNIT is the ultimate cheeseball plot cringe for me.

Capaldi may not beat Tennant for my money, but he's pretty close. I really really really wish we'd gotten to see Tennant with a new show runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The REAL end of S8 is the Christmas special, more than most previous series.

• Locked thread