Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Creepy Goat posted:

There's another potion that is literally just a classic health pot, but the name escapes me.

White Rafard's Concoction, I'm pretty sure, though I haven't found it in Wild Hunt yet. Also the upgraded Swallow is a huge improvement, it seems to heal something like ~2000 Vitality and has an extra charge, which is generally enough to keep you going between meditations for a fair while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
On GOG wasn't there some kind of discount if you already owned the Witcher 1 and 2? Or was that a preorder thing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Goddamn that Tower Full of Mice quest. That is just the epitome of the fairy tale curse-lifting aspect of the game. Geralt of Rivia, lifting curses and stealing hearts. I always give people money to go away instead of fighting them when it's an option. It always seems sad when I have to decapitate some drunk rando. More lifting curses, less drunken tragedy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Geralt

butcher of Blaviken

slain by a stairwell

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ok this is dumb but, do any of the other hair options grow out besides the default beard? I have seen that get shaggier over time but is it limited to that? Huge hairy mutton chops are needed for true witching.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Ok this is dumb but, do any of the other hair options grow out besides the default beard? I have seen that get shaggier over time but is it limited to that? Huge hairy mutton chops are needed for true witching.

Sadly the specific beard designs are all static.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's what I was asking about earlier: if the "shaved" beard design is static, what's the point of beard growth at all?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Perestroika posted:

It's much more noticeable in motion. Essentially, the Nvidia thing models what appear to be hundreds of individual strands, all of which can move independently and do so quite realistically. In the default version, you only have a handful of much larger bangs that tend to move in a more constrained manner.

For something completely different, it'd be nice if you were able to see how large a cash reward is when you're given the choice between accepting it or letting them keep it. I wouldn't mind letting people keep those measly 10 crowns they scraped together, but I always feel compelled to accept just in case it's something more substantial.

Have you guys ever seen Monsters Inc? Remember Sully, the big blue monster voiced by John Goodman? Pixar spent hundreds of man hours animated ever single individual hair on a model that is 100% hair. That is what Nvidia tries to do with every strand of hair in the game with the HairWorks feature.

Andrast posted:

It's fantastic for a sign focused Geralt.

Know of any good sign based builds? So far I've only maxed Quent or whatever the shield sign is because I'm bad at fighting, and I couldn't be assed to keep switching between signs like some lovely Skyrim battlemage. I always saw signs as a backup gun, too. Witchers seem to derive their power from swordplay and alchemical preparation before fighting monsters. Signs are there to augment their abilities, and only very slightly when they do.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 24, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

We can only hope the mod community saves us from the static beards.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Have you guys ever seen Monsters Inc? Remember Sully, the big blue monster voiced by John Goodman? Pixar spent hundreds of man hours animated ever single individual hair on a model that is 100% hair. That is what Nvidia tries to do with every strand of hair in the game with the HairWorks feature.

Know of any good sign based builds? So far I've only maxed Quent or whatever the shield sign is because I'm bad at fighting, and I couldn't be assed to keep switching between signs like some lovely Skyrim battlemage.

If you spec into AIgnii and stack +sign intensity stuff, it can apparently do some serious damage.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 24, 2015

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
When the witcher MC has sex with women, do you get to see their boobs and vaginas etcetera?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any particular armour category that's stronger than others or are they all reasonably balanced? Feel like I might be gimping myself by using light stuff.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is armor piercing useful on silver swords?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I.N.R.I posted:

When the witcher MC has sex with women, do you get to see their boobs and vaginas etcetera?

Boobs yes, vagina no

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

l33t b4c0n posted:

I need something cleared up for me, since I haven't read the books but I thought I understood the general plot. But I feel like there's a big plot gap between what happened in Witcher 1/2 and the beginning of three. Spoilers for those of you who haven't somehow played through 2 and the end of White Orchard.

Will this be fleshed out later? I'm only now in No Man's Land taking odd contracts. I can't tell if the disconnect I'm feeling is something I'm missing plotwise, or if it's just Yennefer's haughty attitude. I guess I just expected more urgency and emotion when two lovers who were both suppose to be dead each find out the other is alive and finally meet up what seems about 2 years after they "came back to life." I really wanted Yennefer to be my love interest, because that makes the most sense in terms of plot for the series, but the cold reunion just really turns me off.

It sort of begins to make sense and Yennefer becomes slightly more likeable later on. From a design perspective, I can understand CDPR disliking the idea of railroading you to one character and making the other "the rebel choice". If you didn't like Morrigan's personality (Haughty to the max) you won't like Yennefer. Basically, Yennefer doesn't know where the couple stands. This is mostly due to the whole "you had lots of sex with Triss thing". There's a funny scene later on where she throws out a bed because Triss and Geralt had sex in it during the Witcher 1, although it's only vaguely funny if you played through that part and get the nudgenudge.
I think the thing with the start of the game is that Geralt gets kind of lost - Nilfgaard is huge, and until :events: Emhyr kind of wants to kill him. It's about a year after the W2 ends.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 24, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is aard a terrible sign? It seems totally terrible to me. It's useful effect - knockdown seems super random if it happens and it doesn't help that the game doesn't list at all what your knockdown chance is. The level 2 aard spell / skill say's the alternative version of aard has a lower knockdown chance than the normal version but doesn't say what that chance is. The character sheet just list stagger% which seems useless because it only lasts like half a second and is not help at all. Witcher 2 that poo poo would hard stun people all the time but in 3 it seems awful. Yrden also seems useless because poo poo can just walk out and then you wasted that stamina. It should force stuff to stay inside the cage.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Broken Cog posted:

If you spec into Agnii and stack +sign intensity stuff, it can apparently do some serious damage.

Do you mean Ignii, the fire sign?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Do you mean Ignii, the fire sign?

Yeah Ignii, sorry.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

If you spec into AIgnii and stack +sign intensity stuff, it can apparently do some serious damage.

Ignii is completely loving busted with a bunch of sign intensity. I've fought two bosses with it and they both burned for 1k damage a tick. They died within ~10s without me actually hitting them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Know of any good sign based builds? So far I've only maxed Quent or whatever the shield sign is because I'm bad at fighting, and I couldn't be assed to keep switching between signs like some lovely Skyrim battlemage. I always saw signs as a backup gun, too. Witchers seem to derive their power from swordplay and alchemical preparation before fighting monsters. Signs are there to augment their abilities, and only very slightly when they do.

Quick rundown of the various signs and their alternate mode upgrades--

Aard stuns, alternate is a radius around you? I haven't unlocked the alternate for it yet.
Igni is straightforward, you can easily get +100% or more Sign Intensity with mutagens and Griffin gear, hits like a truck with or without much investment. Alternate mode you continuously shoot a stream of fire instead of a burst in a cone.
Quen alternate mode gives you a bubble shield, unlike the proactive basic shield this is reactive and you need to activate it at the right times to absorb attacks. It seemed alright I need to try it out some more. The basic upgrades that make it explode when breaking are pretty nice.
Yrden alternate mode basically sets a little lightning turret that zaps enemies in range, it's incredibly good against fliers in particular and a nice extra source of low effort damage.
Axii alternate charms a dude, you can use this on single creatures and keep wailing on them for a couple seconds without the charm breaking. Between the stun and charm modes you can nearly stunlock some monsters and control fights much more easily.

I would definitely pick up the Axii upgrades you can use them in conversations as well and they're great for combat. Otherwise just kinda pick whatever sounds good, you can always respec. Keep in mind something like Yrden won't consume a lot of stamina since you drop the trap and do other things for a while, as opposed to Igni, Aard, or Axii which you may be using more frequently.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Is aard a terrible sign? It seems totally terrible to me. It's useful effect - knockdown seems super random if it happens and it doesn't help that the game doesn't list at all what your knockdown chance is. The level 2 aard spell / skill say's the alternative version of aard has a lower knockdown chance than the normal version but doesn't say what that chance is. The character sheet just list stagger% which seems useless because it only lasts like half a second and is not help at all. Witcher 2 that poo poo would hard stun people all the time but in 3 it seems awful. Yrden also seems useless because poo poo can just walk out and then you wasted that stamina. It should force stuff to stay inside the cage.

They're useful in situations.

For instance yrden. Yrden and Spectre Oil makes Jenny o' the Woods stupidly easy because Wraiths don't exactly have the most HP to start with.
Aard is useful if you need to stagger something that is damaging you right the hell now, or that you can't block or dodge. It doesn't always work, but that's my theory and I'm sticking with it. (also, flying stuff, Aard often knocks them down, like the crossbow only without doing as much damage)

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

cheesetriangles posted:

It knocks people over pretty frequently for me, but I'm mostly running a sign build, so I have lots of +sign power.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Geralt

butcher of Blaviken

slain by a stairwell
This happened to me as I was following the Chamberlain. I hope the pompous rear end was suitably punished for letting an important guest wander off and die with 20 stolen books stuffed inside his stylish black doublet.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS
Mar 3, 2009

Scientists have ascertained that there may be as many as... 24 stars in the cosmos

Schlesische posted:

It sort of begins to make sense and Yennefer becomes slightly more likeable later on. From a design perspective, I can understand CDPR disliking the idea of railroading you to one character and making the other "the rebel choice". If you didn't like Morrigan's personality (Haughty to the max) you won't like Yennefer. Basically, Yennefer doesn't know where the couple stands. This is mostly due to the whole "you had lots of sex with Triss thing". There's a funny scene later on where she throws out a bed because Triss and Geralt had sex in it during the Witcher 1, although it's only vaguely funny if you played through that part and get the nudgenudge.
I think the thing with the start of the game is that Geralt gets kind of lost - Nilfgaard is huge, and until :events: Emhyr kind of wants to kill him. It's about a year after the W2 ends.

I totally agree. I noticed this as well, and Yen does become more likable as you play on and work with her, especially once you reach Skellige. She seems like the cold, distant type when things aren't going her way, but later on she becomes playful (for her) with Geralt and it becomes more clear that hey, this is the woman Geralt loves. I think it's her strong personality and calculating demeanor that can cause problems for people that just know Triss.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Is aard a terrible sign?

Depends how you use it. On my ~35 hour story completion I used almost exclusively Aard and super fast swordsmanship. Basically played it like a medieval Jedi, using Aard to interrupt counters and flanking opponents whilst I dodged around wrecking face. If you think of it as a defensive spell and chain it with sword combos and dodging you basically never take damage. I never ate food in my first run-through, only using Swallow against bosses due to rapid Aard+dodge combos.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Right now my level 10 Sign-focused Geralt is using:

both of the lower level Yrden upgrades
both Axii upgrades
Quen explode when busted
ability that grants 5% sign intensity and stamina regen for Medium armor (I'm decked out in Griffin gear)

for six abilities total, plus Blue mutagens for more sign intensity.

Most fights I just keep Quen up, an Yrden turret down, and use Axii to control enemies and Igni for big nukes. Plan on investing some more in Igni next.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Gwent question:

What is up with passing?

If you have more points, and pass, it should only pass you one time right and you should be able to play after the next move?

But I did that when I wanted my opponent to bleed cards cause he had more, and it just kept passing me until they win? I don't know if it's a bug or what but it makes no sense but I only pass once and it keeps passing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Pass" is terribly named as once you press it the opponent has all the time in the world to press it themselves, ending the round. You're only meant to do it when you're willing to lose a round - and save cards - or are confident you can win.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

Gwent question:

What is up with passing?

If you have more points, and pass, it should only pass you one time right and you should be able to play after the next move?

But I did that when I wanted my opponent to bleed cards cause he had more, and it just kept passing me until they win? I don't know if it's a bug or what but it makes no sense but I only pass once and it keeps passing.

Once you pass you are done playing for the round, I'm pretty sure.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where is a good place to remind me of what happened in Witcher 2

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

I find it very useful against human enemies. The knockdown seems to trigger against them fairly often for me (perhaps one out of five times), and even if it doesn't the stagger is super helpful for safely opening up guys who are blocking or are using a shield while also preventing their buddies from attacking you while you get those hits in. Against monsters it's much more of a crapshoot, though it's decent against most of the flying types when they're on the ground.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Where is a good place to remind me of what happened in Witcher 2

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_storyline

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

That's what I was asking about earlier: if the "shaved" beard design is static, what's the point of beard growth at all?

If you're talking about the clean shaven option, it's definitely not static for me. I had a shave a while ago and now I've got a full beard without going to a barber.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah sorry I should clarify my previous statement. Getting a clean shave lets the beard growth feature run as normal. Choosing a specific beard style means you just get that beard until you get it changed or shaved.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey, everyone who said I'd eventually get used to the combat on Blood and Broken Bones and start really loving it: you were right. Finally got some skill points in some useful things and started getting used to switching Signs constantly (and using Adrenaline to cast them), and now I'm dancing around enemies slicing them to ribbons and it's really fun.

Also I did the Griffin School quest and crafted the weapons and armor and it's a huge difference.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Perestroika posted:

I find it very useful against human enemies. The knockdown seems to trigger against them fairly often for me (perhaps one out of five times), and even if it doesn't the stagger is super helpful for safely opening up guys who are blocking or are using a shield while also preventing their buddies from attacking you while you get those hits in. Against monsters it's much more of a crapshoot, though it's decent against most of the flying types when they're on the ground.

Except for the fact that igni does a fine enough job with groups and axii is much more reliable to one shot humans.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Gwent question:

What is up with passing?

No, passing ends your play for the round. You can use it to save cards for another round (ex. use spies to build up a bunch of cards in round 1 while opponent spams cards everywhere, pass, then win because opponent doesn't have cards left in rounds 2/3) or if you're sure the opponent can't beat your current total.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It feels like the duration of knockdown improves with sign intensity, at least against certain types of opponents (bipedal creatures, mostly). I have a mixed sign and combat build at level 15 currently and Aard feels like cheating a lot of the time. I can knock down 3 to 4 enemies at a time and then instakill them one by one.

Igni is also ridiculous against bosses or large enemies because DoT effects are based on the enemy's max life. Three Ignis will drop just about anything that you can light on fire. I fought a contract target that I could only hit for about 300 with strong attacks, but Igni was doing something lIke 2000 per tick. Enemies won't attack you while they're burning, also, unless you hit them first. So Igni can be a great way to create space for other signs.

All of the signs feel good and useful. Even Yrden, which is arguably the weakest, is practically necessary for some fights and is almost always really good. It's just sometimes hard to justify using it when you could use Aard or Igni instead.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can someone explain a few things about the loot system to me please:

1. Is loot from quests tailored to your level, and can you gimp a potentially good item by finding it early? I was exploring to the west of Hangman's Alley, found a shipwreck and chest inside that came up red on witcher's sense. I looted it and I got a sword called Maugrium, which was a 3 slotted silver sword. I then later found a ? area that contained a letter about said shipwreck, and the quest auto-completed because I had found the chest already. I then noticed under my completed quest tab that the quest was a Level 18 quest. I did this all at level 5, and Maugrim ended up having a level requirement of 2, and it's states were not even as good the the Viper Serpentine Sword you get a White Orchard. If I had waited till level 18 would it have had better stats?

2. I then googled Maugrim Witcher III to see if I could see it's stats. I found a bunch of youtube videos talking about how to get it, but they showed a completely different location. They also mentioned it was a sword with a level requirement of 5, which is different than mine. Not a single one mentioned how I got it. So was mine just random loot and thus had randomly generated stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It feels like the duration of knockdown improves with sign intensity, at least against certain types of opponents (bipedal creatures, mostly). I have a mixed sign and combat build at level 15 currently and Aard feels like cheating a lot of the time. I can knock down 3 to 4 enemies at a time and then instakill them one by one.

Igni is also ridiculous against bosses or large enemies because DoT effects are based on the enemy's max life. Three Ignis will drop just about anything that you can light on fire. I fought a contract target that I could only hit for about 300 with strong attacks, but Igni was doing something lIke 2000 per tick. Enemies won't attack you while they're burning, also, unless you hit them first. So Igni can be a great way to create space for other signs.

All of the signs feel good and useful. Even Yrden, which is arguably the weakest, is practically necessary for some fights and is almost always really good. It's just sometimes hard to justify using it when you could use Aard or Igni instead.

I'm not sure how you could even do Jenny o' the Woods without Yrden, unless you just waited until you were super overleveled.

Hell, even then I'm not sure you can deal damage to her unless she's in the trap.