Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Are there any circumstances under which a hyper-intelligent gorilla can learn magic? Severus Ape needs to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

DNA Cowboys posted:

Are there any circumstances under which a hyper-intelligent gorilla can learn magic? Severus Ape needs to know.

Why not? Those guys can do mystic gestures with their feet

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Fear of the government isn't really a component of most of the cyberpunk I've read. It's very much "governments still exist, maybe, but are weak and ineffectual and monolithic corporations are the effective power in the land". So, you know, not all that far off from reality, really.

Deus Ex and Ghost in the Shell, though both are kinda even handed about it. While Big Government is a problem in both, it's always in collusion with big business in some degree, to further an insidious agenda.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

thelazyblank posted:

drat. Got a game that day already. Good luck!

Yeah, that is the night I have to go to bed early because of work. drat you! Wanted to do that Everyman Hero. Or maybe embrace the Mad Max craze and do a Highway Ronin (just noticed the afro rocking Road Warrior in the book is, of course, wearing a leg brace. :allears:).

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, if that night isn't working for everyone we might be able to switch it up. Post in the thread what other night(s) would work for you.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Finally got my hands on Feng Shui 2 via drivethrurpg (seeing as I missed the KS). So, having never played Feng Shui, I've got a few questions before I GM.

Am I right that GMC stands for GM Creature? So, every creature that's under the GM's control?
Some weapons have a damage value of X/X/X (for example Sword has 10/5/-) what does this mean? I've tried going through the additional rules but I can't find anything that explains the 5 and -.
All archetypes already have skills assigned. But how would I go about making a character that has a different skill. For example: one of my players wants to play an accountant turned ninja and wants INFO: Accounting instead of INFO: Architecture. Would it be OK for me to just allow this? How about players gaining an advancement point but wanting to choose another option than one listed?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
GMC stands for Game Moderator Character (p.6), not that the distinction matters. It's just a fancy term for NPC and includes all Mooks, Supporting Characters, Feature Foes, Bosses and Uber-Bosses.

Weapon stats are explained in the Guns chapter starting p.127.

Archetypes are supposed to be pre-balanced packages but the game says if your player wants to swap something out and it doesn't look like it's going to break things, go ahead. Swapping out Info: Architecture (which is supposed to be there so you can navigate air ducts) for Accounting is completely fine (don't penalise the player for not having Architecture, either). Letting players pick an advancement not on their Awesoming Up list is probably totally okay as long as they can find a justification and they're not trying to go for power-gamey combos.

The reason the lists are like that is more for thematic consistency of archetypes than anything else, really. If your 1850s Martial Artist wants to pick up a cyborg arm, they can't just go "yeah, I have a cyborg arm now" because it wouldn't fit the archetype off the bat. They probably have to go on an adventure to have their arm upgraded in the Contemporary or even Future junctures.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 24, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Or they could have a 1850s steampunk/clockwork cyborg arm they got from a little person mad scientist.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The reason the lists are like that is more for thematic consistency of archetypes than anything else, really. If your 1850s Martial Artist wants to pick up a cyborg arm, they can't just go "yeah, I have a cyborg arm now" because it wouldn't fit the archetype off the bat.

Crippled Avengers wants to have a word!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So yeah Blowing Up The Movies was a great read and I haven't been able to stop watching Hong Kong action movies for 3 days.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You're lucky there are so many on youtube.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Netflix recently got Jet Li's The Enforcer, Fist of Legend, and The Killer! Just in time.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I ran my Deadlands: Noir players through Shadow of the Future of the Apes this afternoon. The villains hijacked Johnny Zhao's ambulance and he was possessed by a demon, but otherwise it was pretty by-the-book. Also: Johnny Zhao died in his favorite chair after ensuring the PCs would carry on the Dragons' legacy. He had taken a beating by that point.

Silk Mountain: Exorcist Monk. Fell into a trance in the 7th century so he could face his sworn foe upon its rebirth. Awoken early by workers putting the finishing touches on a Hong Kong community center. (The reason Johnny Zhao's story included demonic possession.)
The Driver: Driver. Owed money to Otmar Schenk. Exceptional at killing mooks with a stolen SUV and a borrowed coffee cart umbrella. (The reason I added an ambulance chase with ape-masked mooks on motorcycles.)
Ken Kong: Karate Cop. Tried to be the voice of reason. Tried to prosecute villains for violation of Karate Law. Succeeded at one of these goals.
El Oso Guapo: Vigilante in a bear mask. Taught self-defense courses to under-privileged children at the new community center. The bear mask had glowing green eyes and could breathe smoke. Died heroically after wrestling a man with a buzz-saw for a hand.
Rose Woo: Gene Freak. Sent back from the future to prevent the ape-pocalypse. Marked by tragedy and irony every step of the way. Probably had a hand in teaching bloodlust to hyper-intelligent apes.

I wasn't sure if I'd have a chance to run the game again for awhile, so I ran it pretty gung-ho and explained a lot about the Chi War. A good time was had by all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, having just watched Mad Max Fury Road yesterday, it's totally doable in Feng Shui 2 right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, having just watched Mad Max Fury Road yesterday, it's totally doable in Feng Shui 2 right?

It's a game that has a juncture inspired by Mad Max (including the gross mutants) and vehicle chase rules, so yes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One of the Archetypes, the Highway Ronin is pretty much Max himself, right down to starting with a double-barrel shotgun and a modified 73 Ford Falcon. The sample character artwork guy is even wearing a leg brace. :v:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just ran an impromptu FS2 session. Was supposed to have 10+ folks show up for a mafia game. Only half showed up, so I decided to run a half-remembered Shadow of the Future Apes. We finished the hospital fight before having to call the game.

For a full on RPG, FS2 runs well with no prep. We didn't even have character sheets. I told them their Attack, Defense, Toughness, Fortune, and Speed values and threw them into the Community Center fight. Even without schticks, the group was great, everyone playing to their type. Our heroes were:

The Kid With No Name - Scrappy Kid: (because the player couldn't think of a name) A kid who's name, parents, but more importantly, their goat (kid) was killed by ninja assassins. Holds a grudge against all adults and was looking for the man who killed their kid. His specialty was shurikens to mook-groin.

Penny - Private Investigator: A drug-addled, boozing private investigator from the future. Thought that there was no way to return the future until she ran into the Simian troopers. Had horrible luck and mostly got the crap kicked out of her.

"Lee, Max Lee" - Maverick Cop: A Chinese duplicate of Max Pain. Family was murdered by gangsters who were connected to the SLA. Rolled like a champ all night. Was dropping mooks with his fuckoff gun left and right.

Chantonio Manderes - Drifter: A Chinese duplicate of El Mariachi. Instead of a guitar, carried a "Kazooka" with which he blew the crap out of many mooks. Also rigged an explosion in the hospital.

Fu Kyuh (Pronounced gently caress You) - Old Master: Mean old lady who's self-loathing over a lost son lead to all sorts of bad guy face being wrecked.

Forgot to mention. Four of the five players had never touched an RPG before. Pretty dope!

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 26, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One of the Archetypes, the Highway Ronin is pretty much Max himself, right down to starting with a double-barrel shotgun and a modified 73 Ford Falcon. The sample character artwork guy is even wearing a leg brace. :v:

Finally got around to reading the pdf that had been sleeping on my hard drive since they started sending them. Game looks awesome, and I really want to run an adventure in the post-apocalyptic future. Unfortunately, seems like my friends will take some convincing. At least, I'll be playing in a Mad Max/Borderlands-inspired game of Brave New World this friday, so it's all good.

But man, the game looks like so much fun!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, so I made a system for making custom archetypes that holds up pretty drat well when the book archetypes are run through it. It's not perfect and still requires GM adjudication, but it's good enough if you want to do that sort of thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Next Feng Shui campaign found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Between that and Danger 5, I have enough Feng Shui motivation to last an entire campaign!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ran my first Feng Shui game today. It wasn't planned or anything, so I used the pre-made adventure. It was fun! The initial fight was kind of awkward and mostly about learning the rules, by the second fight we were all having fun and using forklifts to throw people into conveyors leading into buzzsaws.

Player sliked it enough that we may play a second adventure. I'm calling it THUNDER ROAD.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know I grognard some about the rules, but I am super happy Feng Shui 2 exists because it is really nice to see so many people on here enjoying Feng Shui. It is a truly kickass game, problems and all. :unsmith:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZDYzi7u2mg

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Hey, so I made a system for making custom archetypes that holds up pretty drat well when the book archetypes are run through it. It's not perfect and still requires GM adjudication, but it's good enough if you want to do that sort of thing.

Thanks for doing this. I'm still a little annoyed the book doesn't come with at least rough guidelines for creating archetypes. I guess I'll run my archetypes through it and see if they conform.

e; done it, made a couple of tweaks. Hardboiled Detective is 6, Slayer is 6, Cyberninja is 7.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ran my first Feng Shui game today. It wasn't planned or anything, so I used the pre-made adventure. It was fun! The initial fight was kind of awkward and mostly about learning the rules, by the second fight we were all having fun and using forklifts to throw people into conveyors leading into buzzsaws.

My players aren't quite at the point where they're using the environment, so I need to put together a list of fight scenes to make them watch before the next game. So far I've got:
  • the teahouse and warehouse raids from Hard Boiled.
  • the umbrella fight and Wong/Yim warehouse duel from Once Upon a Time in China.
  • the Yu Xiulian/Yu Jiaolong fight from Crouching Tiger.
  • the climactic fight scene from Big Trouble in Little China.
Other suggestions welcome.

I also have to decide whether I want to send them to the future or ancient junctures next. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 29, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The finale fight in Legend of Drunken Master. With the hot coals and the super-booze and the chains and the...yeah.

The burning pillars fight in Iron Monkey. Actually just all of Iron Monkey, really, there's a lot of goofy environmental tricks in there.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

The convenience store fight and the gang-hideout fight from Rumble In the Bronx are great examples of how to use the environment in Feng Shui.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh poo poo, guys. Kung Fury is out.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I recall the battle between the Bride and Elle in Kill Bill volume 2 to be pretty Fence Shui-y.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So hey all. I'm running FS2 next week. I've already basically run the bundled adventure. Anything around that I can pick up and run?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dwarf74 posted:

So hey all. I'm running FS2 next week. I've already basically run the bundled adventure. Anything around that I can pick up and run?

What sort of PCs do you have and what do they like doing? Are they mostly into melodrama, more into shooting dudes in the face, etc?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

What sort of PCs do you have and what do they like doing? Are they mostly into melodrama, more into shooting dudes in the face, etc?
Definitely more on the face shooting, but no characters have been made yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I take it your group prefers one-shots or short adventures to campaigns? It's hard to come up with an idea before you have PCs, I find, since FS is designed to be focused around the PCs' melodramatic hooks and schticks (to make sure everyone gets a chance to show off their gimmick).

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
If you want something on the weirder side with a chase set into it, there's a one-shot style adventure that someone wrote up on the G+ group. http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/ride-that-dark-loathsome-highway-a-feng-shui-2-adventure/

I've talked a little with the guy, and it seems like it'd be mechanically okay. It's also wacky enough that throwing any random group into it should be easy enough as a caught-up-in-craziness sort of thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thelazyblank posted:

If you want something on the weirder side with a chase set into it, there's a one-shot style adventure that someone wrote up on the G+ group. http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/ride-that-dark-loathsome-highway-a-feng-shui-2-adventure/

I've talked a little with the guy, and it seems like it'd be mechanically okay. It's also wacky enough that throwing any random group into it should be easy enough as a caught-up-in-craziness sort of thing.
I think that looks goddamn perfect. Just have to make sure we have a driver.

Thanks!

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Having never played FS before, I'm planning to dive into Feng Shui 2 soon on Roll20 and hated the Feng Shui character sheet they had. So I made my own! It's pretty straightforward, but now I'd like feedback from anyone who has actually played FS2 to let me know if the sheet is missing anything obvious or if there are nice to haves you'd like to see.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Without being able to check the backend stuff because it's not open for everyone, it definitely looks really good for an FS2 character sheet. Can't think of anything more to add, other than maybe making the left-hand boxes bigger so stunt descriptions are easier to read. I don't even know if that's possible.

I really need to spend some money at some point to mess around with the fancy tools of Roll20.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

thelazyblank posted:

I really need to spend some money at some point to mess around with the fancy tools of Roll20.

I mostly use Roll20 for the Warhams RPGs (because they really need a grid and map) but it's surprisingly helpful. Plus, even in a game that isn't map-based, having some nice background art and stuff can help a lot. Roll20's been good to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Got my book. Corners crushed, whiteboard archetypes appear to have errors from original draft of the rules. Well that's the last time I back an Atlas KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd contact them about the book damage.

• Locked thread