Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

You should really play the Fallout series, then! :love:

And watch the hell out of Zardoz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

FirstAidKite posted:

And watch the hell out of Zardoz

I have both played New Vegas and seen Zardoz. My leather in the desert repertoire remains plump and husky.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay O posted:

I have both played New Vegas and seen Zardoz. My leather in the desert repertoire remains plump and husky.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

But that film is :mediocre: ?

Annointed posted:

Whoever made that and those who paid for it deserve to be put on a pedastal.

Nelson Mandela from the Cinema Discusso Fury Road thread did.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Eh people usually have very rational reasons for being who they are so when I pick on or criticize someone I usually try not to be mean about it. Like it's OK to laugh at someone when they fall in the mud but you should still lend them a hand at the same time you know?

...unless that person wallows in their mud puddle and insists that really it is very nice in this puddle and you should try it out but that you should never ever try the other mud puddles because they are inferior and that this puddle is objectively superior :byodood: to any other puddle out there and that if you suggest maybe that once in a while getting out of the mud puddle (even if for the sake of variety and perspective) might be a good idea the person will respond with "how dare you challenge my sense of selfhood, you otherizing fiend and bigot! And if you suggest I even need help you are implying my puddle of choice is not a valid environment and....and....and....".

geek_culture.txt

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DoctorWhat posted:

Leal posted:

Can't we just get beyond thunderdome
gently caress YOU

EAT poo poo AND DIE

gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

Spoony account spotted.

So in the last few pages people have revealed that it appears to be the consensus that Thunderdome is the worst, and that Barbarian is better than Destroyer.

... Is it possible that I'm wrong?

Nope. It's everyone else. You're all wrong. :colbert:

(I am very aware of the hypocrisy of accusing someone else of being Spoony and then telling everyone else that they're wrong because they don't hold the same opinions as me thankyouverymuch.)

KayTee fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 22, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm curious, though--isn't leather the last thing you'd want to wear in extreme heat?

Leather is just a bad material to wear in general for survival. It is however one of the easiest to make, since I can't imagine there's a lot of weavers in the Post Apocalypse.

So it makes a kind of sense, in that it's better than nothing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Max is wearing leather because he's still wearing the scraps of his cop outfit. Why his cop outift leather? Because MFP weren't cops per say, they were the government's desperate attempt to try and control the gangs and social decay before the war - black leather is imposing, and you need to be imposing if guys like the Toecutter are the norm. Things are so bad in the first film that it seems that Max barely noticed the nuking of the world - Austrialia is in a pretty bad shape in these movies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope in one of the next ones they go through with the original idea they had for Road Warrior with Goose being Lord Humungus.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

OldMemes posted:

Max is wearing leather because he's still wearing the scraps of his cop outfit. Why his cop outift leather? Because MFP weren't cops per say, they were the government's desperate attempt to try and control the gangs and social decay before the war - black leather is imposing, and you need to be imposing if guys like the Toecutter are the norm. Things are so bad in the first film that it seems that Max barely noticed the nuking of the world - Austrialia is in a pretty bad shape in these movies.

Also, Max's uniform looks similar to a bike cop's uniform, where the leather is used for protection (at one point he did have the helmet like a biker cop on patrol).

As far as post apocalypse, I would gather leather is more durable than most woven fabrics. Also they are in the desert, so where would they get cotton or wool?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
George Miller stated that Fury Road is the "word burgers of the History Men" of the future. That explains any errors in the canon of the films, the History Men made mistakes in their oral history, so they have a bunch of stories about Max, but don't know all the right facts.

Also: "word burgers".

Oh, George Miller. :allears:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

OldMemes posted:

George Miller stated that Fury Road is the "word burgers of the History Men" of the future. That explains any errors in the canon of the films, the History Men made mistakes in their oral history, so they have a bunch of stories about Max, but don't know all the right facts.

Also: "word burgers".

Oh, George Miller. :allears:

Making the movies oral history does make the movies seem more mythic as well. The embellishments make a better story.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KayTee posted:

Spoony account spotted.

So in the last few pages people have revealed that it appears to be the consensus that Thunderdome is the worst, and that Barbarian is better than Destroyer.

... Is it possible that I'm wrong?

Nope. It's everyone else. You're all wrong. :colbert:

Look your personal ranking of Mad Max movies is as valid as anyone's, but it just wrong to think Destroyer is better than Barbarian. Watch Barbarian again, realize you error. It's worrying.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 22, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I decided to sit down and watch the original Mad Max movie. It was alright, but strangely it reminded me of the 2004 Punisher movie. Before you go jumping on me, I know Mad Max came out before the Punisher movie and I do think Mad Max is the better movie overall.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jimbot posted:

The biker in the second one. His boyfriend took the boomerang to the forehead. Met his end on the grill on the semi colliding with The Humungus's vehicle.

Sorry meant Mad Max as the first movie only. Road Warrior's evil gay couple is blindingly obvious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mraagvpeine posted:

I decided to sit down and watch the original Mad Max movie. It was alright, but strangely it reminded me of the 2004 Punisher movie. Before you go jumping on me, I know Mad Max came out before the Punisher movie and I do think Mad Max is the better movie overall.

I liked that Punisher. It's the best adaption of the character(along with #DIRTYLAUNDRY, which is basically a sequel due to having the same actor) and a pretty good movie on it's own.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Phelan, Brad, and I review The Duke. A dog becomes a duke. Preposterous!
http://phelous.com/2015/05/22/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-duke/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

The 2004 Punisher is underrated I feel.

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 22, 2015

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Calico Heart posted:

I don't know if they count but I legit had to stop watching Video Games Awesome because Fraser is so dumb. He actually sees the world through a child's eyes and watching him play games with any kind of choice system involved is boring because he always picks the most immoral option and says "It's what needs to be done!"

While this was kinda bad in Walking Dead it's his Game of Thrones playthrough that made me really sick of it

I used to feel this way, but Fraser eventually won me over. I got into VGA with their Ocarina of Time playthrough, in which Fraser's occasionally hilarious and more often a frustrating idiot. The Phoenix Wright and Deadly Premonition playthroughs were what made me a fan, though. I appreciate the subtle efforts (camera adjustments, up-tempo play style, high-quality video/sound) he makes to improve the viewer experience, and the not-so-subtle efforts (voice acting, engagement with the chat, distracting from the game during boring parts with off-topic conversations) as well. Any time he's not playing a game, too, he's a lot more reasonable and well-spoken, and VGA makes a major effort to connect with their fans online and to organize convention meet-ups. Watching him gently caress up gets annoying, but I can't imagine how he maintains interesting conversation through hours and hours of gameplay. It's a trade-off, if he were focused more on the actual gameplay, it'd probably be a less interesting show.

I do miss when Ben was in all the videos though. He's my favorite, along with Kyle. Ben's much more willing to call Fraser out on his bullshit when he's being a douche than Becky, so the Fraser/Becky shows are really hit-or-miss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The 2004 Punisher is underrated I feel.

I actually enjoyed it too. Punisher: Warzone is a real treat though if you want a mindless 80's-style ultraviolent movie :munch:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually enjoyed it too. Punisher: Warzone is a real treat though if you want a mindless 80's-style ultraviolent movie :munch:

I was talking about the Punisher movies in a Punisher game LP thread, and all I'll say about Warzone is that it was really over the top and it clashed with the mood it was trying to set.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
This is the top post in /r/cringe right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPSaOgx6-6s

Good god. Do online reviewers usually draw these types of fans? Because this is brutal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chromatic posted:

Good god. Do online reviewers usually draw these types of fans? Because this is brutal.

I don't have the stomach to actually watch the video, but I scrubbed the YouTube preview of it and holy gently caress you can literally see Doug getting progressively more uncomfortable as it goes... and then the guy starts following him around :stonk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://www.thecinemasnob.com/midnight-screenings/midnight-screenings-tomorrowland
I'm so disappointed that Brad Bird made this floppy mediocre movie :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly not even Brad Bird's name made me the least bit interested in Tomorrowland.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
But it has Hugh Laurie, so I'll probably rent it from Redbox one day.

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't have the stomach to actually watch the video, but I scrubbed the YouTube preview of it and holy gently caress you can literally see Doug getting progressively more uncomfortable as it goes... and then the guy starts following him around :stonk:

I couldn't make it through the video either; the embarrassment and awkwardness is too much. But the idea of Doug Walker being in some sort of distress... :allears:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Damon Lindeloff was one of the producers and writers on this film. He was the same genius behind "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and had this little chessnut to say in an interview with The Daily Beast:

The Daily Beast posted:

So even off of Twitter, you’re clearly aware of how the Damon Lindelof brand of storytelling plays with your haters. Have you ever thought, maybe this time… no ambiguity, no mystery box? 
It’s so hard because it probably should deter me from doing that stuff, but at the end of the day my type is my type. It’s sort of the equivalent of saying, “Damon, you always fall for really tough, blonde Catholic girls, and every time you go out with one it just ends poorly.” It’s like, yup! And tomorrow night I’m going out on a date with a tough, blonde Catholic girl. That’s just what floats my boat, that’s what turns me on. And by the way, I’m now married to one and it’s working out pretty well so far.

Oh, and the title of the article? Damon Lindlelof's Persecution Complex: 'There are People who are Gunning for Me' :fuckoff:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 24, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benny the Snake posted:

Damon Lindeloff was one of the producers and writers on this film. He was the same genius behind "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and had this little chessnut to say in an interview with The Daily Beast:

Oh, and the title of the article? Damon Lindlelof's Persecution Complex: 'There are People who are Gunning for Me' :fuckoff:

Well he's not wrong.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Well he's not wrong.
True, it's just how incredibly :smug: he is about it. That and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" was so terrible that it insulted my intelligence.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benny the Snake posted:

True, it's just how incredibly :smug: he is about it. That and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" was so terrible that it insulted my intelligence.

Well, his style of storytelling has not translated into failed box-office returns yet.

Nerdhate does not actually mean anything to Hollywood nowadays.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Benny the Snake posted:

Orci and Kurtzman were also writers on that script. I don't think you can reasonably blame that film's problems on Lindelof over those two knuckleheads.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheMaestroso posted:

Orci and Kurtzman were also writers on that script. I don't think you can reasonably blame that film's problems on Lindelof over those two knuckleheads.

Perhaps, but he is the target of the internet's new Two Minutes Hate, and will be until some other punching bag is found.

Don't worry, these sessions never actually effect anything.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nerdhate does not actually mean anything to Hollywood nowadays.

Nerdhate has never meant anything to Hollywood, and I assume everyone in the thread is aware of this.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Chromatic posted:

For every lovely, intelligent, charming fan of ours who just wants to wish us well during our stay at whatever con we're at... yeah, some poor guy like this is among them. I've dealt with some and, yes, it's a feedback loop of awkwardness where they don't know what to say and because of that you don't know how to act because they genuinely want to be nice to you and you genuinely want to live up to their expectations and be funny and charming but you have no idea what the other guy wants and neither one wants to break it off with a "Well, it was a pleasure to meet you" or a "I hate to leave so soon but it's a busy con and I have lots to do" and the whole interaction just sputters and deflates into a pile of terrible, terrible, nothing...

Yeah, I've been there. Poor guy. Er, *guys*. They both don't know how to handle it. There's a grace that us types lack in dealing with it.

It's kind of like this scene in The King of Comedy but on a much, much smaller scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXxUZEjfso

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Perhaps, but he is the target of the internet's new Two Minutes Hate, and will be until some other punching bag is found.

Don't worry, these sessions never actually effect anything.

It's a bit sad as apparently Lindelof is an extremely nice guy. He's just kind of an average writer and gets onto a lot of big projects without the extra help needed to make a great script.

(Ironically kind of like Michael Bay. Bay's films fail in the writing and editing side more than his directing.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a bit sad as apparently Lindelof is an extremely nice guy. He's just kind of an average writer and gets onto a lot of big projects without the extra help needed to make a great script.

(Ironically kind of like Michael Bay. Bay's films fail in the writing and editing side more than his directing.)

It would do a lot for his reputation if he could be more gracious in responding to criticism. He seems to close a lot of feedback loops that don't do him any favors.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

It would do a lot for his reputation if he could be more gracious in responding to criticism. He seems to close a lot of feedback loops that don't do him any favors.

Why would he need to? He keeps making money.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The sadly ironic part is that Lindelof actually gets called in to scriptdoctor a fair deal of already flagging material; Prometheus, Cowboys & Aliens, Star Trek: Into Darkness, and World War Z being the ones studios have felt comfortable with publicizing. And well true, he has the tallent to lift material out of the mud slightly--all four films are at least watchable, to an extent--he just doesn't have the skill to truly salvage them.

TheMaestroso posted:

This is why I'm actually optimistic about The Force Awakens, because JJ Abrams finally cut the both of them loose and didn't let them, Lindelof, or even George Lucas anywhere near the film.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like the only person who really really really likes Into Darkness. I've seen people spit pure venom at it and I found it to be a really fun sci-fi action movie. I guess I can see that that's almost the opposite of what Star Trek should be, but I find Star Trek in general to be intolerably boring most of the time so I guess I'm biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like the only person who really really really likes Into Darkness. I've seen people spit pure venom at it and I found it to be a really fun sci-fi action movie. I guess I can see that that's almost the opposite of what Star Trek should be, but I find Star Trek in general to be intolerably boring most of the time so I guess I'm biased.
Into Darkness wasn't a bad Trek movie. It was a bad movie, period.

Everyone has their own example of a movie that embodies everything that's wrong with film in the past 10 years or so. A film that goes beyond being flawed but having all their numerous problems synergizing into a new tier of aggressive mediocrity. For some it's still Transformers. Others may pick The Amazing Spider-Man or The Man of Steel or The Lone Ranger.

For me it's easily STID.

• Locked thread