Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Had a legit fun game in my 50 120 with an IRL buddy.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1904765#el_halluf-axetrain-amx_50_120

Not an Ace or a mega damage game but good teamwork pulled this one back from the brink. Also the 50 120's gun elevation desperately tries to gently caress me over multiple times. Also I did nothing for the first 5 minutes.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

which icon pack is this?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Missing Name posted:

Thinking back on the Chinese literal gold tank... If the NA server got one, it'd have to be a Sherman, right? A tier 7 that magically penetrates the front armor of a Tiger.

So you mean a 76mm armed Sherman? It's difficult to express just how bad the Tiger actually was IRL by late war.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Desuwa posted:

It's still a shittier, slower M4 Sherman. I'd waffled between that and the six pounder but the derp really is the better gun just because of how poor the handling on the six pounder is. You are not going to be hitting enough shells with the six pounder to realize the DPM advantage and it's not a viable gun like the 76mm is on the Sherman.

WG is going to bitch and moan for two or three years about how their arty implementation is better than AW's and then quietly and slowly move WoT's arty system in that direction.

Well I can dream. Don't take that from me.

I'm almost positive one of the devs has said something about looking at revamping artillery to be more fun. I think smoke shells and flare shells are A) explainable in a WW2 setting and B) would be super cool and way more interesting than arty currently is. Being able to affect vision-games with artillery sounds awesome.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Magres posted:

I'm almost positive one of the devs has said something about looking at revamping artillery to be more fun. I think smoke shells and flare shells are A) explainable in a WW2 setting and B) would be super cool and way more interesting than arty currently is. Being able to affect vision-games with artillery sounds awesome.

Throwing a flare in to some fuckwit TD's camping bush, setting them on fire ruining their camo and getting spotting damage for it sounds pretty sweet. Smoke sounds horrific - I already can't play with special effects on because there's just too much loving smoke everywhere making it impossible to see enemy, allied, or my own tanks. Also smoke is kind of terribly implemented in Warships already.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

xthetenth posted:

So you mean a 76mm armed Sherman? It's difficult to express just how bad the Tiger actually was IRL by late war.

The driver farted and now the upper glacis has fallen off. Scheisse!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Throwing a flare in to some fuckwit TD's camping bush, setting them on fire ruining their camo and getting spotting damage for it sounds pretty sweet. Smoke sounds horrific - I already can't play with special effects on because there's just too much loving smoke everywhere making it impossible to see enemy, allied, or my own tanks. Also smoke is kind of terribly implemented in Warships already.

For flares, off the top of my head I'd say split the assist damage between you and the physical spotter, unless the person doing the damage is spotting it themselves and wouldn't be able to do so without your flare, in which case you get full credit.

Edit: So smoke - ruins enemy vision by smoking on them, or gives friendlies camo bonuses by smoking on them? Could be done kind of like a temporary, deployable bush or as a vision ruining PoS. I like the idea of deployable concealment because it's probably more useful and less griefy and I'm not an arty player, but at the same time god I would love to just spray smoke at the like B2 and B9 areas on Prokhorovka and tell campers to eat dicks.

Also smoke could be done as a designator circle with fairly light particle effects because god this game has a billion smokey particle effects like you said

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 24, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/443293-offensive-jerk-in-a-t-29/page__pid__9018159#entry9018159

gently caress goons.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Missing Name posted:

gently caress goons.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

"Mans" posted:

My lovely pc doesn't run WoT anymore so i might check it out.

I would give it a shot, if you can run a CryEngine 3 game them this should run. It's definitely a refreshing change from WoT. The change in scenery is needed at times even if it seems like it's just another tank game.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, trip reporting the M7 Priest. I left the T57 behind after 9 games and eliting it because well...I was getting the hang of it.

Then I realized how godawful the reload is on the Priest. 20 seconds is a long time, and I found myself spending enormous amounts of time lining up shots to find the enemy has died, moved across my arc, or behind an obstacle. I can get some good shots in and the gun upgrade gives me superior range so i don't have to move around the map constantly but...arty is challenging. Especially without good crew. I am beholden to scouts, and scouts in low tiers do very little when your reload time is 5+ seconds and one missed shot is 20+ seconds of lost game time overall.

In other news, now that my Tier V tanks are all fully upgraded, the KV-1, T1 Heavy, M4, and the T67 all rock my socks. I love them all to death compared to my Tier IVs. I still have the T28 but it's a far trickier tank to play in my opinion because of the large profile and poo poo armor.

Does arty get better or harder in higher tiers? I feel next to useless half the time and get two or three shots off before the game is 90% over.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Blindeye posted:

So, trip reporting the M7 Priest. I left the T57 behind after 9 games and eliting it because well...I was getting the hang of it.

Then I realized how godawful the reload is on the Priest. 20 seconds is a long time, and I found myself spending enormous amounts of time lining up shots to find the enemy has died, moved across my arc, or behind an obstacle. I can get some good shots in and the gun upgrade gives me superior range so i don't have to move around the map constantly but...arty is challenging. Especially without good crew. I am beholden to scouts, and scouts in low tiers do very little when your reload time is 5+ seconds and one missed shot is 20+ seconds of lost game time overall.

In other news, now that my Tier V tanks are all fully upgraded, the KV-1, T1 Heavy, M4, and the T67 all rock my socks. I love them all to death compared to my Tier IVs. I still have the T28 but it's a far trickier tank to play in my opinion because of the large profile and poo poo armor.

Does arty get better or harder in higher tiers? I feel next to useless half the time and get two or three shots off before the game is 90% over.

Reload times of 40+ seconds is not abnormal in high tier artillery. We have artygoons around who love the stuff and are really good at it, and I really don't get how. (Seriously artygoons is there any way to actually mitigate how awful arty accuracy is? Even running food on a 100% crew with vents, I completely miss like half my shots in the M53/55 to deviations)

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

GG Buttnose

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

M.C. McMic posted:

which icon pack is this?

Pogs contour icons, I think? I don't 100% remember but it's in aslains modpack and you can search for it there.

Also that guy seems to be getting pretty bent out of shape about Our Glorious Veteran's Impugned Honortm, so good job there.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Shoot from level ground, and eventually you will learn each arty's likely miss area. Then you can aim accordingly.

e- responding to Magres, obv

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Also that guy seems to be getting pretty bent out of shape about Our Glorious Veteran's Impugned Honortm, so good job there.

His Patton avatar makes it all the better.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Missing Name posted:

His Patton avatar makes it all the better.

I'm a Soldier, I love being a Soldier, I love working with other Soldiers. That said, I can't stand all the wannabe hamfisted suckers who try to be super-hooah badasses in military games. And I love when you guys piss them off, because most Soldiers laugh their asses off at poo poo like this, and the shitlers get butthurt. And I am not good at jokes, so I let you do all my work for me.

In before "babbykiller"

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I mean in my department we used to make way worse jokes to each other. If something like "Happy Memorial Day, Allahu Akbar!" gets under your skin then I have no idea how you made it through Boot/A-school let alone how you would manage to function day to day in your actual unit/shop without having a stroke.

A Marine I worked with said if they ever tried to stop-loss him he was going to sign on with the Taliban to pop shots off at the rest of us. This is called humor, some folks could stand to learn it.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 25, 2015

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

SoUncool posted:

In before "babbykiller"

Babb-
dammit.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best part of the thread is the guy who nonchalantly says he punched a fellow college student in the face for spitting on his uniform. Classic milstdh.txt

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The best part of the thread is the guy who nonchalantly says he punched a fellow college student in the face for spitting on his uniform. Classic milstdh.txt

No no, he said something about getting spaghetti on it and that he didn't care about the spit.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Nice work WGNA support.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Nice work WGNA support.

Their plans are working.

They want us to stop playing.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Nice work WGNA support.

He didn't even loving read the ticket did he.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Spittle is one thing...spaghetti is another.

I'll remember that one.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Missing Name posted:

Heyyyy, the not-Tiger does pretty well if you left click tanks. Unfortunately, it's the players who try to play it like a loving TD. Also, don't use the 88.

My only tank with a Radley-Walters.

The VK3601 was my favorite medium tank and won a lot of games with it. I haven't played it much since they made it a heavy. The few times I have weren't as fun as I remember it being.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Hellsau posted:

Nice work WGNA support.

They can't lift autobans manually???

What

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

subhelios posted:

No no, he said something about getting spaghetti on it and that he didn't care about the spit.

Upon reread it seems like you're right. Bizarre fake story either way.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Haquer posted:

What

I'm actually more surprised that they are messaging that their automated system is totally beyond their means of control.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I'm actually more surprised that they are messaging that their automated system is totally beyond their means of control.

You know what this means right? Goon rush.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Haquer posted:

What

They have an automated process for that.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like the reply was... automated...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Skynet is real, judgement day has arrived!

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

WayAbvPar posted:

Shoot from level ground

Wait wait, I'm clueless about arty also, I only play real tanks. Why does level ground matter?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you tank is on an angle your trajectory is radically altered.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

gently caress TOGs.

And arty for that matter.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I finally picked up a first class mastery in my T-54 yesterday, 4,500 damage and five kills. It is going to haunt me that I might have Aced it if I'd managed the Top Gun. Still, I got my first MoE for it a couple of games later.
drat fine tank, too many people doing better in it than me though. I saw a dude with three stars on his barrel the other day and it was not unlike watching Tank Jesus walk on water.

Haquer posted:

gently caress TOGs.

And arty for that matter.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of TOGS, but they are only ever on my team. It is galling.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 25, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

frood posted:

Wait wait, I'm clueless about arty also, I only play real tanks. Why does level ground matter?

:siren: PSEUDOEFFORT POST INCOMING :siren:

It effectively changes your minimum and maximum depression angles, which in turn will effect your minimum firing range. Have a sleep-deprived, somewhat alcohol-induced MS paint drawing:

In both figures, θ1 is the same angle - bound by the maximum gun elevation (in most arty, signifying the greatest possible range) and minimum gun depression (this is the shortest possible range.) To further simplify this, we'll assume that the SPG can only elevate to θ1, not strait up. And the minimum angle is 0 - the x-axis. PHYSICS.

The top figure shows what level ground can do. Since the minimum gun depression will launch a shell with no upward momentum, it will soon fall to the earth due to gravity. Any FASCIST SCUM in this zone can be struck, likely hitting the sides of the target. This is called "shotgun range" in the scientific community. It WILL be more difficult to you know, hit the ground. Anything in the green zone can be struck from a nosediving round, penetrating the top armor (elytra) and and destroying the abdomen. Beetle guts will go flying in a glorious explosion called "ammo racking." This is usually where you want to shoot.

BUT WAIT, the tank hiding behind the house near the outer radius of your range? He's safe. The shell will come down at roughly the same angle as it was fired, meaning that it won't clear the roof and prevent the battlefield from being covered with heart chambers and spiracles. A lower maximum elevation will extend this area protected by the hill/dead tank/building, by simple virtue of the shell not being able to come down at a steeper angle. Think mortars vs. anti-tank rifles.

The bottom figure shows the pros and cons of sitting on a hill. That hill's slope, θ2, effectively boosts θ1 to a higher angle, θ(1+2). This is how addition works: a thing plus a thing is a bigger thing. Unless one of those things is a negative number, then things change up a bit. Anyway. At maximum range, shells will come in from a steeper angle θ(1+2). This will allow them to fall closer behind the cover protecting the FASCIST SCUM because steeper = falling more straight down (-y direction). Cue ammo racking, flying malphagian tubules. NOTE: your maximum range may increase, decrease or not do a goddamn thing throughout this.

But now, simply put, your shotgun range is nil. Because you have boosted your minimum dperession to θ2, now your shells have vertical (y) velocity and so will skip merrily OVER the battlefield for a while instead of returning directly to earth. There's simply a gap where nothing will ever land. Gravity still works, but it will still take more time for your shell to hit dirt. Stuff flying at minimum range will now hit at an angle of θ2. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on whether you want to penetrate the thin elytra or the thick frontal head region with your HE. Hint: frontal armor is thicker.

Now, we won't get into the discussion of how some arty can actually change their angle of descent because their maximum elevation takes them past the point of greatest range. Nor will we mention that arty in real life can have variable propellent charges, changing the range and impact angle for a given gun elevation. Shhh. This will be later. Maybe. I don't know. I was never good at physics.

tl;dr: don't play arty

Also, my framerate has nosedived recently. No clue why.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 25, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Mine did too and I had to reduce my graphics options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I drive artillery exclusively and the way I see it that at a standard map. About 90% of the time I have a target I can fire at. Which for most tanks is probably around 5% and the rest of the time spent finding something to shoot.

Just being stationary I bet that I get about as many opportunities for a great shot as any driver of equal skill that has to roam the map looking for something to hit. But while a regular tank spends a lot of time fumbling around in blindness looking for a great shot. I have a smorgasbord of "alright" "fine" "meh" "bad" and "really bad" shots that I can take. Where I just throw the dice. Mostly you miss but but often enough you hit.

Regular tanking is stalking a deer in the forest with a bow and arrow while artillery is more akin to hunting pigeons in the park with a shotgun while intoxicated. You might not always hit what you aimed for but often enough you hit something at least.