Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

It's not too bad in person, I'm not hugely fond of the lights.

Still better than the old one though, which was ugly as sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitramster posted:

I appreciate going away from norms but the R1 is hideous TO ME. I just really can't get over the side view, and all the empty space on the "forehead."

Actually after looking at it again, the whole drat thing is ugly. Just so much going on everywhere, way too many lines, and to much paint/stickers.

I think that's just kind of how all the Japanese manufacturers style their sportbikes though. Kawi and Yamaha are the worst about it but they all do it, they just aren't into non crazy futuristic styling it seems

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 23, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think that's just kind of how all the Japanese manufacturers style their sportbikes though. Kawi and Yamaha are the worst about it but they all do it, they just aren't into non crazy futuristic styling it seems

In Japan, the future is now. :destiny:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Kinda makes sense, if you're designing something that's supposed to represent the bleeding edge you'd not want to make it look old, so the temptation is always to make it look as alien as you can within the confines of keeping the bike rideable. IMO KTM are the worst for this, the last few generations of the Duke have been an utter loving mess that seems to have been designed in a game of pick-up-sticks, just random angles everywhere.

Of course you don't *have* to go "gently caress YOU PAST" with the design - I liked the way the first few years of the R1 deliberately called back to their 80s and 90s superbikes with the blue/white and white/red speedblock designs, which they seem to have abandoned of late. It was a nice nod at their history while keeping the bike itself looking modern. Suzuki are champions at that of course, look at the GSX-R, which always manages to look modern with each new year but still being really easily recognisable as a GSX-R.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I love how the new R1 looks. Wish I could afford one!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I like the previous two gens of R1. I'm rather tempted to pick one up and convert it into a bastard dual sport/dirtbike.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

I love how the new R1 looks. Wish I could afford one!

:agreed:
It isn't "futuristic" if it came out a year ago. Get with the times, geezers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I like the previous two gens of R1. I'm rather tempted to pick one up and convert it into a bastard dual sport/dirtbike.
Something like this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Suzuki are champions at that of course, look at the GSX-R, which always manages to look modern with each new year but still being really easily recognisable as a GSX-R.

I honestly think it's because they were the only manufacturer that didn't abandon the single headlight for their sportbikes.

That just instantly screams GSXR now because they're the only ones doing it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ape shall not ride ape.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You're right, but the new R1's monstrous uglyness can't be blamed on futurism. It's more that the front end establishes aesthetic rules that the rest of the bike then throws in the toilet. The front end is filled with gentle curves and smooth slopes, like a panigale, and if the rest of the bike followed suit it'd look like just another modern sportsbike. But instead they have all this hideous boxy bullshit going on along the side, the engine looks like it came out of another bike entirely and there's just...ugly...stuff...everywhere. If they had committed to making the entire bike look like the front end does it wouldn't be so bad.

KTM's aren't 'ugly' to me because despite their extremely questionable stylistic decisions, every bike looks like it follows the same theme. They had one overriding idea for what the bike would look like and they stuck to it, on every model, from head to toe. Their bikes look good, if not pleasant, because they follow the internal rules established by the first impression. The R1 looks like it was styled by a committee and if you saw two pictures of one from different angles for the first time you'd be forgiven for thinking they were different bikes entirely.

Ironically I really want one from a technical standpoint though. Can't see it's ugly when you're on it!

Chris Knight posted:

Ape shall not ride ape.

Holy gently caress.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Something like this?

:eyepop: I want this

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Schroeder91 posted:

:eyepop: I want this

That's the year of R1 that was sitting in my backyard. :v: Still haven't felt like sorting the carbs out.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

That's the year of R1 that was sitting in my backyard. :v: Still haven't felt like sorting the carbs out.

Ah man, you should've converted it to dirt cause that looks badass!

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
The new R1 is poo poo hot by far the nicest looking bike that came out this year and if superbikes weren't the most impractical things in the world I would purchase one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The new R1 is poo poo hot by far the nicest looking bike that came out this year and if superbikes weren't the most impractical things in the world I would purchase one.

My zx10r is a great commuter - I go from semi-rural to center of Brisbane on it and it's brilliant for both situations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The new R1 looks awesome. Especially the bit with the pass through vents for the tail. :krad:

I sort of want to re-do the headlight on my 1290, but for the love of loving god, the OEM one is so well designed I just can't bring myself to gently caress with it. It has 2 screws that you remove and the entire headlight folds down with neatly coiled wiring harness connectors, easy to replace lightbulb, etc, etc, etc, etc. I want to replace it with something totally absurd and ridiculous, but it's so well engineered I feel like I'd be making GBS threads on some poor KTM employee's life achievement if I hosed with it.

Maybe I can figure out some way to make something that uses the OEM hinge system or some poo poo.

Shimrod posted:

My zx10r is a great commuter - I go from semi-rural to center of Brisbane on it and it's brilliant for both situations.

Ever ridden a streetfightered superbike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Ever ridden a streetfightered superbike?

So...goddamn...thirsty :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Nah, I realise other bikes are designed for commuting much more, I was just saying that I like my Zx10 more than my other more standard bikes - I find I slouch on them, vs the SS "crouch" forces my back to be straight which is extremely comfortable for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

Nah, I realise other bikes are designed for commuting much more, I was just saying that I like my Zx10 more than my other more standard bikes - I find I slouch on them, vs the SS "crouch" forces my back to be straight which is extremely comfortable for me.

Ahh, yeah, there's some folks that fit with the supersport seating position - I am not one of them, unfortunately.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Brazilian guy tries to get up to 200 KPH and blows his engine out.
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=58b_1432425951

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

So that's what it's like when your rear tire is all greased up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isn't that only like 120mph or so? Doesn't seem like engine blowing speeds.

Although any speed is engine blowing speed if there is something wrong, I suppose...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Despite the fact that the R1 is the new hotness, I'm seeing a lot of unsold R1s so far. The R1M is sold out but when I visit my local dealer the regular R1s are sitting on the lot. I could have walked off the lot with my choice of a blue or black R1 this weekend. When I visit the big BMW dealership they are still selling tons of S1000RRs. A couple of weekends ago I saw at least 3 with sold signs on them and watched as they sold some more while I was there. The 899 Panigale is also selling fast. I'll probably replace the MV at the end of this season or beginning of next season and I'm leaning toward the RSV4 RF or Panigale.

Initial reviews of the RSV4 RF seem really positive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JCwf-YXf7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKDdJPn430

Nonenglish mostly but interesting comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxOo5Q2zj10
At 20 minutes and 12 seconds of the video there is a comparison table of times from the bikes

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 25, 2015

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Get the rsv4. Unless your local dealer support sucks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

From last page but

:holymoley:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Note to self: wheelie past the google maps car. Also, learn to wheelie.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Isn't that only like 120mph or so? Doesn't seem like engine blowing speeds.

Although any speed is engine blowing speed if there is something wrong, I suppose...

If you look at the tach it was in the red for basically the whole video. I'm not sure if ran out of gears, didn't shift or what.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think it's a 250, that's pretty fast for one. Kinda weird for it to move around like that unless he was on the rear brake - he had the clutch pulled.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless he threw the chain maybe?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I think it's a 250, that's pretty fast for one. Kinda weird for it to move around like that unless he was on the rear brake - he had the clutch pulled.

It's a CBX750. It's an oil cooled bike and the engine seized.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unless he threw the chain maybe?

Or holed the case - I once saw an (OG 70s) Bonneville whose conrod had managed to punch a couple of holes in the bottom of the case before the crank completely disintegrated. The little end snapped and the piston seized - impossible to say which caused which - and the remnants did an impressive amount of damage before he managed to get the clutch in.

The owner of that bike also introduced me to the phrase "engine-rich exhaust"

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 25, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: Nm

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or holed the case - I once saw an (OG 70s) Bonneville whose conrod had managed to punch a couple of holes in the bottom of the case before the crank completely disintegrated. The little end snapped and the piston seized - impossible to say which caused which - and the remnants did an impressive amount of damage before he managed to get the clutch in.

The owner of that bike also introduced me to the phrase "engine-rich exhaust"

I blew out the bottom end on my Ninja 600 and put a hole in the case. I knew instantly what's going on in that video. I had the clutch in, too, but also about four quarts of oil all over the back wheel, and it was tricky to get over to the side of the road; the wheel just wants to slide laterally. It's still spinning, so there's gyroscopic stability, but it just wants to fall over on its side. As long as you keep the clutch in and don't touch the brake, the wheel keeps spinning and you can find somewhere soft and dignified to crash.

I actually came to this thread to post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbfzmPCYX4 this. It's more motorcycle than car. CBR motor, gearbox, electrics, R1 suspension, Miata wheels. Looks like a ton of fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cool Ninja 250 for sale locally.

quote:

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

$3000

NOT STREET LEGAL
EXTREMELY MODIFIED

This is a very cool, one-off, Ninja 250. I am the 3rd owner.
The bike has been very well maintained with a recent oil/filter change (AMSOIL), and Air filter cleaned and oiled.

The goodies:
Pirelli Rosso Corsa II rear tire (20 laps on it, bought new3 weeks ago)
Bridgestone R10 front tire, medium compound, still lots of life left

GSXR Front forks with Ohlins valves and .90 springs
GSXR Rear Shock with .90 spring
Both recently serviced by In House Suspension

Brembo 18x19 brake master cyl
EBC brake pads 90% life, recently installed
Steel brake line
Single rotor set-up (it's a 250, you only need one!)

HotBodies RS 250 upper and lower, RS125 Tail
Custom blue metallic paint with Redbull replica decal kit ($$$)
Custom fairing stay and bodywork mounts
Woodcraft rear sets

K&N Pod Filter
Stage 1 carb Jet Kit
Two Brothers Exhaust
Euro Racing 1/4 turn throttle
Custom lightweight Lithium Ion battery

She runs wonderfully and has about 3 hours of run time on her since purchased. Suspension is dialed for a 180lb rider. Bike was built by a road racer in Cali who used it as a training platform. Everything that was not essential to the bike running was removed for weight savings, including the gauges (tach and speedo).
Awesome training bike, track bike or race bike. Whoever is lucky enough to snag the bike it is going to love it! It's a blast to ride!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I sort of want to re-do the headlight on my 1290, but for the love of loving god, the OEM one is so well designed I just can't bring myself to gently caress with it. It has 2 screws that you remove and the entire headlight folds down with neatly coiled wiring harness connectors, easy to replace lightbulb, etc, etc, etc, etc. I want to replace it with something totally absurd and ridiculous, but it's so well engineered I feel like I'd be making GBS threads on some poor KTM employee's life achievement if I hosed with it.

You should poke around my headlight next time we get together. OAK has contacted me a time or two requesting I not ride at night as I'm confusing the aircraft.

BlackMK4 posted:

hey bebe, I can carb and fab. wanna make a bastard with me? :kimchi:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Submitted without comment

http://i.imgur.com/vB1ORVG.gifv

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is Russia, no?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A man smoking a cigarette riding a voltron-esque mashup of a scooter and a mini truck with tiny tractor tires does terrible stunts in a muddy street until he falls off into a giant, poorly marked, unexplained hole in the earth, does not lose cigarette in the process.

Could it be anything BUT Russia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A man smoking a cigarette riding a voltron-esque mashup of a scooter and a mini truck with tiny tractor tires does terrible stunts in a muddy street until he falls off into a giant, poorly marked, unexplained hole in the earth, does not lose cigarette in the process.

Could it be anything BUT Russia?

Could easily be SC from what I've seen on Craigslist.