Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
In TW2 I used to back my poo poo up at the sight of ghouls (usually because of the alghoul at the back) but now they're like big derpy pink puppies. Puppies that I cut down like a lawnmower. I guess Geralt spent so much time practicing on ghouls and harpies last game, he lost touch with his drowner-slaying roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's part of a story dungeon with Keira.

Edit: Looking at your level, I expect you technically already did the dungeon, you should have unlocked the entrance that is front of the boat.

Bah, how do I get back to there :sigh:

Never mind, puzzled it out. Can't believe I missed this when I did the quest.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 25, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thanks! just brewed the stuff for the first time now.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Is it possible to skip the stupid loving 40 minute story recaps you must endure when you load saves?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Startin' up a stream of discovering the question marks. Stop in and say hi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bfkk07EMLI

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Bah, how do I get back to there :sigh:

Never mind, puzzled it out. Can't believe I missed this when I did the quest.

There are a few things hidden in there until you return, I think.

Also guys, after you first do Keira's quest and step out of the cave, directly ahead of you is a boat and a short ride across the water, south of gently caress Island, is a small island with a broken red brick bridge. The quest there gets you a nifty silver sword. I didn't know you could one shot drowners underwater with the xbow when I did it, but I managed it by diving repeatedly and dodging the ploughing whoresons

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 25, 2015

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Is it possible to skip the stupid loving 40 minute story recaps you must endure when you load saves?

Just keep mashing the skip button (X on controller.) Even though there is no prompt, it works the same as cut scenes. You can't skip until your game is loaded though, so you have to wait at least a little bit.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I hosed keira btw, sorry for your sloppy seconds guys

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The game is loading in the background so the length of time you have to wait will be the same regardless.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Rock trolls are the cutest thing in this game :3:

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Fizzil posted:

Which starts to become a problem when I need their livers for alchemy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fizzil posted:

minor spoilers http://i.imgur.com/T8KAxua.jpg

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Pellisworth posted:

You equipped the alternate mode ability on your Character panel, too?

Yep, I try holding down the cast button, but it doesn't let me do that, it just immediately stuns them. Can cast enhanced Yrden no problem.

Also, after the wife ring -> husband quest, you can use Kiera's lamp on the grave for an extra scene and exp

Edit: Seems like puppet bug is this, you can't use puppet while having Delusion equipped, solution on cdpr forums is:

Navigate to your folder: C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\The Witcher 3

Open the file "input.settings"

Find all the entries for "IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime =0.2)"

Change the entry to have an IdleTime of 0.01. So after your change it should look like this:

"IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime =0.01)"

Solartide fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 25, 2015

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
All hail the Allgod.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

Any recommendations for what to do with excess piles of crafting materials? I'm hesitant to sell them because I have no idea when I'm going to need like 20 steel ingots and some meteorite metal, but also, I'm sitting at a baseline of 40/130 carry weight just with crafting materials and food now, and that's not great.

Should I just sell most of them and worry about getting what I need when I need it? Or are there some especially rare ones I should hang onto and sell others?

It's not even enough to keep all crafting materials, just now was doing the first Griffin armour set and that requires a shirt and a bear hide ("armor" and "junk"). Those weigh a bunch and don't seem crafting-related so I'd sold all of mine long ago.

GreatGreen posted:

What is the best, most easily (continuously) attainable equivalent of health potions in this game?

The merchants don't seem to sell poo poo in that regard, and I'm running out of wolf livers or whatever the gently caress.

Swallow stacks with food, so eat a food and immediately drink a swallow, and make sure food keeps entering your mouth for the duration of the swallow. You can replenish the swallow with alcohest which is plentiful.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

net cafe scandal posted:

Oh, and, anything you put ability points into you need to slot into your active abilities to take effect right. Even the passives?

wait what

how, what screen

holy crap i have no idea what you're talking aboutand I have like three tiers of the sign tree filled out

am i doing something horribly wrong

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
So, there's an exclamation point quest in the Novigrad docks to clear out a merchant's warehouse for a guard, and there's a second merchant there arguing with them. Inside the warehouse is a single nekker and Geralt mentions that seems odd. Does anything else ever come from that? I didn't see any way to follow up on how it got in there.

Madcosby posted:

wait what

how, what screen

holy crap i have no idea what you're talking aboutand I have like three tiers of the sign tree filled out

am i doing something horribly wrong

The large array of empty diamond/square slots to the right of the ability grid. You have to move the abilities/mutagens you want to use onto that array in order to activate them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Had a random bandit try to rob me in Novigrad and first he yelled "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"

:lol:

Then I had a quest with the line "Zed's dead"

During a Triss quest there's a drunk guy in the fountain shouting "Arrrrrr, I am a KRAKEN," which is a Juno reference I believe.

The guy you fight in the Novigrad boxing matches is called Gorgeous George.

This game is great.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Offkorn posted:

So, there's an exclamation point quest in the Novigrad docks to clear out a merchant's warehouse for a guard, and there's a second merchant there arguing with them. Inside the warehouse is a single nekker and Geralt mentions that seems odd. Does anything else ever come from that? I didn't see any way to follow up on how it got in there.

The large array of empty diamond/square slots to the right of the ability grid. You have to move the abilities/mutagens you want to use onto that array in order to activate them.

I thought that was just to get bonuses for mutagens? I dont have any of those spaces unlocked except for the first default 3

Do the abilities you put points in unlock if I spent the points?

I know for the flamethrower igni, i didnt ahve to do anything except pay attention to how I push RT to cast it differently. I didn't equip the spell anywhere; I dont think

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I cannot even begin to describe how much my experience with this game improved when I turned off the question marks on the map. All of the real goodies from the treasure hunts are tracked like any other quest so you don't really miss out on much but aren't compelled to comb the area when you see a bunch of question marks everywhere.

Anyway, the last big RPG I played was Dragon Age Inquisition and so far it seems like this game is in a whole 'nother league comparatively. There's so many big meaty quests in this game with varied objectives and locations and very very little of the "ubisoft syndrome" where the map is populated with tons of little markers showing you exactly where everything is. If you turn off the question marks they're pretty much absent altogether.

I also find it amazing how you can just like walk right into Novograd, and how just about every single building in his huge town is seamlessly part of the world. I'm not 100% sure but I think that within the entirety of Velen if you don't fast travel or die or whatever you can just go wherever without a single loading screen.

One thing that worries me though (spoilers up to the point where you get to Novograd) I did the Keira Metz quest and it ended with me having to kill her to stop her from giving the research away but then I watched a playthrough where she was sent to Kaer Morhen and the only difference seemed to be that I didn't sleep with her. I'm trying to play Geralt as faithful to Yennefer and I'd be pissed if like by not sleeping with Triss for example she ends up dead in an alley.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
So those fancy clothing come in handy after all! I wonder what other interactions are out there. :allears: The guards will allow entry into the House of Respite with the clothing Geralt was forced to wear in Vizima.

Offkorn posted:

Well, those two merchants are related to the quest from the guard. Use witcher sense in the warehouse. On the ground are footprints matching a dwarf and cage bars sawn through. One merchant is unscrupulous, the other is an jerk.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 25, 2015

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I wish it was a little clearer what clearing out bandit camps and reclaiming lost sites 'does.' It's a little jarring to ride up into a camp of bandits or drowners, kill them, and then before the bodies can even be cleared away, a bunch of peasants come up and set up shop. How does this affect the game?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Delacroix posted:

So those fancy clothing come in handy after all! I wonder what other interactions are out there. :allears: The guards will allow entry into the House of Respite with the clothing Geralt was forced to wear in Vizima.

No poo poo?

Also cheese wizard best wizard. I need a new game where I can roleplay as a cheese wizard with my sword "Emmantaler"

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Offkorn posted:

Not sure about that particular quest, but in many others, there are witcher-sense clues hidden around - sometimes very well-hidden - that unlock other conversation prompts. And after the quest concludes, sometimes you get a bit of dialog (animated conversation style) by going back and talking to the people involved. It won't ping your quest log, it's just there as flavor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Delacroix posted:

Huh, that's neat. I'm pretty sure you can buy those same clothes in a shop in Novigrad though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

I wish it was a little clearer what clearing out bandit camps and reclaiming lost sites 'does.' It's a little jarring to ride up into a camp of bandits or drowners, kill them, and then before the bodies can even be cleared away, a bunch of peasants come up and set up shop. How does this affect the game?

You can still pick up the loot from their bodies, they'll disappear eventually. Restoring abandoned areas almost always unlocks a merchant or herbalist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Geralt desperately needs a shave and a haircut. Where in Velen can I? Am level 7, just did the dungeon with Keira, haven't met the Crones or any others.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Drowners are real fuckers in this one

Guys half my level still devastate me unless I use yrden to slow them down

Drowners are pretty easy once you learn to dodge and abuse Igni. Takes a while though on keyboard, since dodge is on ALT and it's a pain to use compared to SPACE.

But yea, when they hit they hit like trucks. And blocking them just gets you stunned :argh:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Witcher owns. Saved some kids with bread and they gave me a book that gave the werewolf bestiary index and a new decoction. Game owns. I feel like I've played so much and made such a small chip into what there is to do. I want some sweet armor but am not sure which one to go after, or even how I wanna spec Geralt.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

During the main quest in Novigrad I got an antidote and a recipe for the antidote. I found the potions but I can't find the recipe either in inventory or alchemy recipes. I'm scared to go in there without 5000 antidotes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Chicken posted:

During the main quest in Novigrad I got an antidote and a recipe for the antidote. I found the potions but I can't find the recipe either in inventory or alchemy recipes. I'm scared to go in there without 5000 antidotes.

It's probably a remnant from before they reworked the potion system, it works like any other and refills automatically when you rest, so no recipe.
Besides, you're not gonna spend a lot of time in there anyway, one potion is more than enough.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Mischitary posted:

One thing that worries me though (spoilers up to the point where you get to Novograd) I did the Keira Metz quest and it ended with me having to kill her to stop her from giving the research away but then I watched a playthrough where she was sent to Kaer Morhen and the only difference seemed to be that I didn't sleep with her. I'm trying to play Geralt as faithful to Yennefer and I'd be pissed if like by not sleeping with Triss for example she ends up dead in an alley.

I'm pretty sure that's not the turning point. Calling her a two headed snake isn't a good idea. It's much better to be a little tactful when dealing with sorcerors. It doesn't matter if Geralt sleeps with her or not, she can be talked down.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Mischitary posted:

I did the Keira Metz quest and it ended with me having to kill her to stop her from giving the research away but then I watched a playthrough where she was sent to Kaer Morhen and the only difference seemed to be that I didn't sleep with her. I'm trying to play Geralt as faithful to Yennefer and I'd be pissed if like by not sleeping with Triss for example she ends up dead in an alley.

I didn't sleep with her and got her to go to the castle.

Hell, I got a 40+ year old coworker who looks younger than her.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Chicken posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the potion was automatically equipped to one of your usable potion slots. That stumped me for a humiliating length of time.

e: derp and now that I'm not quoting the wrong person anymore, I see you found it already. It's seriously about 2 minutes, be a brave little witcher and go for it.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 25, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

When the witcher MC has sex with women, do you get to see their boobs and vaginas etcetera?

In the original game European version the dryad definitely had some vag action going on. Taken out in the NA version because cutting a hundred people into meat chunks is noble and good but seeing a vagina is bad and wrong. Anyone remember in the first Witcher when maxed out sword Geralt would jump on top of humans and stab them over and over with his knife? Good times.

Elderbean posted:

Don't most games get downgraded somewhat as the realities of budget and resources creep in over development?

I think the big thing everyone is howling about is due to the 2013 preview footage being released before the XBone and PS4 specs were even finalized, and CD Projekt RED probably had to make do using older less capable render solutions for the underwhelming console architecture they ended up with. PC still throws more power at it but there are real innovations in how to calculate things that older cards cannot use, and I doubt CDPR had the time or money to fork the engine at such a basic level.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Protip for horseback fighting: Holding down the attack button slows down time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How come there's no Wolf armor?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Calaveron posted:

Geralt desperately needs a shave and a haircut. Where in Velen can I? Am level 7, just did the dungeon with Keira, haven't met the Crones or any others.

Oxenfurt has a barber. You'll get there naturally as part of the Bloody Baron quest line.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Baron gwent question: He just left with Anna to go find a healer and I hadn't beaten him at gwent yet. I think I searched the whole room and didn't find the gwent card. Does he come back, or am I hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Baron gwent question: He just left with Anna to go find a healer and I hadn't beaten him at gwent yet. I think I searched the whole room and didn't find the gwent card. Does he come back, or am I hosed?

You're hosed.