Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i'm not asking anyone to defend their favorite game, just to post about it

in this new FF thread no one's tastes are on trial.

its still bravely default op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i like my favorite ff because you learn skills from party members

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

baram. posted:

i like my favorite ff because you learn skills from party members

Lost Odyssey is the best Final Fantasy.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I like 4, 6, and 10 the most. I remember renting 4 from Blockbuster (lol) and being immediately taken in by it. The story was really cool. By then I was attached to JRPGs, so 6 was just amazing. I think the characterization of the cast is some of the best in the series. For 10, I like how the battles are more of a vehicle for the story, not that it is super great or anything but I enjoyed it. Sphere grid is great and seamlessly switching out chars in battle was a cool mechanic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Another for FFXII as my favorite. The game has a wonderful restraint to it that most FF's don't have. The story was simple, but it didn't need to be any more than that, the villains actually had depth and motivation to their actions, and dear lord the combat was some of the best in the series. The only thing that could have made it better was sticking with the original core four (Basch, Ashe, Balthier, and Fran) before SE told Matsuno to add more demographically appealing characters. And I don't even hate Vaan and Penelo. The whole game is just so much goddamn fun.

Second would have to be IX, simply for how the story goes from relatively normal, to balls out insanity in such a steady progression you barely notice it. Hey, we're gonna kidnap a princess and deal with an evil fat queen! Whoops we broke reality and now we're fighting the literal concept of death.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I like all of the 13s because they look real nice, are fun, and staggering is cool, also the plot didn't really bother me at all. I read all of the codices. All. Of. Them.

XIV is probably the FF with most time invested because it hides it's grind well in fun things, although I have been short on time lately so haven't been on much.

I and VII both have a special place because they were unique and memorable in their own timeframe and continue to have heaps of charm and a heavy dose of nostalgia. Elentor's LP may be the definitive play through of VII and I likely won't load it again unless they ever make an HD remake.

X/X-2, 4, 6, 8, 9 and 12 are good in a whole bunch of ways but don't quite have the same brain space for me. I never played 2, 3, 5 or 11 beyond the starting areas.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I love Lightning Returns because the battle system is awesome. Also, Yusnaan is probably my favorite town and quest line area in any FF game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The battle music in LR is really good too

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Elentor's LP may be the definitive play through of VII and I likely won't load it again unless they ever make an HD remake.
Same. That LP is a thing of beauty. The definitive take on 7 as far as I'm concerned.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I like my favorite ff because they started taking the series into an interesting new direction. Too bad the next one undid all the positive changes they made and then made new changes I didn't like.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
X was my favorite because it was my first FF, and I love the turn-based style rather than the ATB Gauge. The only JRPG I had played before was the Super Mario one for SNES so when I played X it blew my mind with the gameplay, visuals, and a story that actually took itself seriously.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I love video games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PunkBoy posted:

I love Lightning Returns because the battle system is awesome. Also, Yusnaan is probably my favorite town and quest line area in any FF game.

lightning blowing up the statue while yelling about god is pretty great, yeah

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love ffx2, I love the pop superstar opening, I love the weird jazzy Charlie's Angels 80's atmosphere, I love all the Dresspheres and the Garment Grid system and how bonkers the battles get by letting you switch jobs midfight. I love seeing the weird politics of what happens after a nation that worships death and sacrifice and martyrs has to deal with living for the first time in a millennia. I love Paine and Lenne and even, God help me, LeBlanc. I am even glad that Tidus comes back. gently caress the haters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YggiDee posted:

I love ffx2, I love the pop superstar opening, I love the weird jazzy Charlie's Angels 80's atmosphere, I love all the Dresspheres and the Garment Grid system and how bonkers the battles get by letting you switch jobs midfight. I love seeing the weird politics of what happens after a nation that worships death and sacrifice and martyrs has to deal with living for the first time in a millennia. I love Paine and Lenne and even, God help me, LeBlanc. I am even glad that Tidus comes back. gently caress the haters.

Yeah, this too.

X-2 has the best opening sequence.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'll have to do three, because they tend to rotate around as my favorite FF depending on how I'm feeling that day.

IV: Just because. I find it the most enjoyable of the SNES titles, and even like the DS version. Something about it just hits the right buttons for me.
VIII: Because occasionally I just want to play a game where I don't have to put in any real effort to break it in half. That and I like the story just for the sheer stupidity of it.
X: This one I actually legitimately like the story. I think it did some neat things, and as much as I like X-2 for being Carlie's Angels: JRPG Edition, I think the ending of X would have better served if they'd left it as is. I also like the Sphere Grid, though I think the insane grinding to do any of the Monster Arena, or the Dark Aeons (without just whipping out Yojimbo) could stand to be dialed back a bit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

YggiDee posted:

I am even glad that Tidus comes back. gently caress the haters.

I never got the extra cutscene after the good ending
:negative:

It's easy to get 100% in NG+ but it still bugs me how many opportunities there are to screw yourself out of like 1%

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YggiDee posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the FFX-2 mini game where you have to give Leblanc an orgasm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
*dresses up like a stripper* what can i do for you

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Tactics is my favorite because I love the job system and Ramza is pretty much my favorite FF character ever, Delita was pretty interesting as well and I like what the game does with him even if I don't like him as a person (which you're not supposed to anyway).

Of the numbered ones I really like V also due to the job system, the simple story and fun characters (only really applies to Advance though, they're pretty dull in other translations), and it's hard to say if I like it or VII better because the more I think about VII the more I'm convinced it is one of the best games ever made, yeah the translation is awful and it's not a perfect game, it has some flaws, but I still rank it pretty high.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

YggiDee posted:

I am even glad that Tidus comes back. gently caress the haters.

You find out in the HD remaster epilogue that it's not the same Tidus.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Did anything ever come out of Tidus kicking that Blitzballbomb and exploding?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Squallege posted:

Did anything ever come out of Tidus kicking that Blitzballbomb and exploding?

Yes, I think most of his insides came out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggiDee posted:

I agree with all of these but the last (the ending with Yuna on some level moving on and having adventures for the sake of adventure is better) and wish that the game wasn't so weird about presenting its content. Like, who even remembers King Vermin!!! besides the part where the !!! is part of its name? It's hard to tell what you're supposed to be accomplishing and how to accomplish it. Wasn't there some thing about a guy opening a store in the ice lake? Am I misremembering thinking that it was complicated to get the swag, like trying to get some dude laid and trying to make carnivals popular, and instead wasn't?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I agree with all of these but the last (the ending with Yuna on some level moving on and having adventures for the sake of adventure is better) and wish that the game wasn't so weird about presenting its content. Like, who even remembers King Vermin!!!

I remember it as one of the best lines from FF7.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tidus fuckin sucks and they should do ffx-3 where he dies horribly and yuna finds a real man and not a spotlight-hogging fuckboy

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I agree, they should make a game where Yuna dumps Tidus for me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

epitasis posted:

tidus fuckin sucks and they should do ffx-3 where he dies horribly and yuna finds a real man and not a spotlight-hogging fuckboy

That's pretty much the plot of that official book where Tidus dies from kicking a blitzball bomb.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mega64 posted:

That's pretty much the plot of that official book where Tidus dies from kicking a blitzball bomb.

whats this now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just read a thing and it says the novella ends with yuna wishing him back to life again. what the gently caress can we get this girl some counselling

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Final Fantasy X 2.5

Tidus wants to making gently caress at Yuna, but Yuna refuses. In anger, Tidus finds a blitzball and kicks it. Yikes! The Blitzball Was Actually A Bomb! Tidus blows up and his head lands in Yuna's lap. They revive him and he becomes a new Sin or some poo poo.

The End

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 25, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I ignore any of the extra stuff they added to FFX-2 after release, much in the same way that I imagine people ignore The After Years, or ignore the thing where FFX-2 Shinra is suppose to invent space travel and invent FFVII Shinra.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how does something that stupid get OK'd by squeenix's upper brass? like, tidus dies and gets reborn as sin or whatever, sure, that as a concept is a workable sequel hook.

but why not make it 'tidus gets killed by a new, shadowy group of villains' or 'tidus contracts some deadly disease' or 'tidus dies of natural causes but nobody could see the consequences.' not 'tidus dies like wile e. coyote'

like the after years comparison is there to make, but after years is incredibly cool compared to that

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

how does something that stupid get OK'd by squeenix's upper brass? like, tidus dies and gets reborn as sin or whatever, sure, that as a concept is a workable sequel hook.

but why not make it 'tidus gets killed by a new, shadowy group of villains' or 'tidus contracts some deadly disease' or 'tidus dies of natural causes but nobody could see the consequences.' not 'tidus dies like wile e. coyote'

like the after years comparison is there to make, but after years is incredibly cool compared to that

It's because everything Square made after FFT is literal trash.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I was hoping this would be posted

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The World Ends With You is one of my favorite games, you son of a poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

So I take it you got to the part of Bravely Default that people find divisive then.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Games after Tactics but before the Enix merger include:

SaGa Frontier
Front Mission 3
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Einhander
Kingdom Hearts
Legend of Mana
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

You take that back. You take that back right now.

Edit: Last game released in Japan with the Squaresoft logo was Final Fantasy X-2

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I appreciate FFX-2 because the first boss is a giant spider named Boris.