Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Both VA's sound like they're gargling gravel and one is unlikely to pick up on those emotional nuances when they don't understand a lick of the language. There's no clear winner.

I don't know about you but I prefer good VA with subtitles to bad dubs any day. Even though you can't hear the more subtle nuances/puns/whatever sure you can still appreciate the fact that he's not as awkwardly monotone as english geralt.

Arglebargle III posted:

How did you do this?

For Steam, on your library, right click on witcher 3 and choose properties, and go to the language tab and something about selecting polis there and 'auto-download language packs' (I have GOG so i haven't done it myself but my friend managed to do it with this).

For GoG:

Go to your GOG.com account and click on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt game in your library. From the game card, click the LANG: menu and select POLSKI. Download the three parts of the Polish Language Pack and use the installer. When you boot up the game, it'll be in Polish text as well, so go to options and click on WYBÓR JĘZYKA. Make sure the top slider is set to Włączone, the middle slider is set to Angielski, and the bottom slider is set to Polski. Click on WRÓĆ and you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, I also found this sweet chest armor where it had like a metal chest and two spiraly things where the arms are, and then the rest of it was this long flowing red robe thing and it looked awesome. But it wasn't anywhere close to as good as the chest I had. I wish cosmetic slots were a thing in this game (and all games)

I'm using a similar piece instead of Griffin Armor chestpiece because I haven't really felt a pressing need for the extra stats yet and it looks cool. Mine is green and short though. Cidarian Army something or another. I'm gonna be really sad when I can upgrade my Griffin Armor again and it becomes undeniably better than this thing and the minmaxer in me is forced to change out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Griffin School should be embarrassed, their armor is like a shirt with leather chest and shoulders. Good job guys, way to loving suck. Letho has more fashion sense than you.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ra-amun posted:

Why does the feline crossbow require level 29 when everything else in the set is ~15?

Are you loving kidding me? I've been busting my rear end trying to level up to 14 to use he feline armor, and I can't even use the full set? What the gently caress is with this game and putting level restrictions on craft gear you find? Now I don't even want it! I'd rather go back to my standard Wolf school gear, but I don't think you can update that at all, can you? Even so, I sold it years ago so unless I can get another set back home who knows.

Arglebargle III posted:

The Griffin School should be embarrassed, their armor is like a shirt with leather chest and shoulders. Good job guys, way to loving suck. Letho has more fashion sense than you.

What? Griffin looks good, and Letho looks like a Dickensian street urchin wearing rags he patched together from old flour sacks. It's awful.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Igni alternative mode is overpowered as gently caress against solo targets. Alt Igni only drains stamina for as long as you maintain the flames. Every damage tick of the flamethrower hands gives a chance to Burning, a damage over time debuff that also stuns them for the duration of the DoT. The DoT seems to last about 4 seconds, which is plenty enough time to recoup the stamina and alt Igni again to re-apply Burning.

Why is any humanoid dumb enough to gently caress with a Witcher, my god.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Griffon makes Geralt look fat and the upgrade puts these really silly spikes on one shoulder that bother the gently caress out of me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What? Griffin looks good, and Letho looks like a Dickensian street urchin wearing rags he patched together from old flour sacks. It's awful.

No, Griffin looks terrible. It's flimsy and crapulent. The only good thing about it is the buckles on the boots.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ursine is the best armor. Long coat, chain all over, no extraneous stupid bullshit, a cool scarf.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I don't know about you but I prefer good VA with subtitles to bad dubs any day. Even though you can't hear the more subtle nuances/puns/whatever sure you can still appreciate the fact that he's not as awkwardly monotone as english geralt.

Either you have messed up ears, are a non native English speaker, or are confusing language speaking with the quality of writing.

In the more invested quests Geralt sounds like a human being. In the less invested he sounds slightly awkward because the phrases are awkward.

So far my favourite choosable dialogue is when a Nilfguardian asks you why you saved him from a lynch mob

""I don't like lynch mobs"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Arglebargle III posted:

No, Griffin looks terrible. It's flimsy and crapulent. The only good thing about it is the buckles on the boots.

I like the pants too, sure as hell better than a lot of other options. I basically like everything about the Griffon set besides the chest piece, and honestly, if the model didn't make Geralt look fat I'd like that, too.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I think this is the only weather system I've seen in a game that can produce sunshowers.

Orv posted:

Ursine is the best armor. Long coat, chain all over, no extraneous stupid bullshit, a cool scarf.

I'm pissed off I have to wait until level 17 to equip it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man the loud wailing combat music with the heavy drone strings in the background is stuck in my head. You know it's medieval af when the background strings play three notes very loudly the whole song.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Why was it decided that my starting armor would be garbage? Why does Geralt The White Wolf need to chase armor sets from dead witchers of other schools? I should be forging my own legend and have younger wit her upstarts come questin for my armor set. I hope the mod community fixes this.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm pissed off I have to wait until level 17 to equip it.

At first it looks very Assassin's Creed-y; Mastercrafted doesn't arrive until level 31. Get grindin'.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

As a complete noob to the series,and having just got a copy from a friend,do I have to play the other games to understand the plot? Or will I be OK?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Took me a dozen or so hours, but this game is really growing on me. Finally something in my brain clicked where I'm not actively thinking about how much I don't like the controls and finding the endless wilderness fun to explore instead of it feeling like a chore.

Glad I stuck with it. The game has a lot of good poo poo that really didn't shine for me until I warmed up to it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Arglebargle III posted:

Man the loud wailing combat music with the heavy drone strings in the background is stuck in my head. You know it's medieval af when the background strings play three notes very loudly the whole song.

You're not alone. I have been whistling to myself for 3 FULL DAYS that theme. It's so good but I want it to stop :smithicide:

Orv
May 4, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

As a complete noob to the series,and having just got a copy from a friend,do I have to play the other games to understand the plot? Or will I be OK?

Most of the stuff you need to know will be explained by various exposition dumps, you can jump into Wild Hunt without too many problems.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

VolticSurge posted:

You'll be fine. Game comes with a very brief summary of the past two games in a booklet, and the rest you can figure out yourself from context.

Geralt is a magical mutated monster-slayer called a Witcher. Others exist. Recently, he came into conflict with a Witcher from another school that was hired by the Nilfgaardian Empire to destabilise the Northern Kingdoms. One of the things he did was kill Geralt's king buddy.
Geralt likes the sorceress Triss Merigold but after regaining his lost memory, he also likes Yennefer.

I'm pretty sure that's all you need to know.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

bewilderment posted:

You'll be fine. Game comes with a very brief summary of the past two games in a booklet, and the rest you can figure out yourself from context.

Geralt is a magical mutated monster-slayer called a Witcher. Others exist. Recently, he came into conflict with a Witcher from another school that was hired by the Nilfgaardian Empire to destabilise the Northern Kingdoms. One of the things he did was kill Geralt's king buddy.
Geralt likes the sorceress Triss Merigold but after regaining his lost memory, he also likes Yennefer.

I'm pretty sure that's all you need to know.

Uh,there is no booklet-said friend gave me this via Steam key.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Load up my save from sometime, go to get a glass of water while the loading screen tells me about Ciri and the Crones for a few minutes (on mute), come back

You Are Dead

:smith:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

VolticSurge posted:

What Orv said. The devs have stated that the game would be easy for newcomers to grasp in all aspects iirc.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

This is a pretty good summation of the basics that you ought to know going in.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8620223/witcher-3-guide-witcher-2-witcher

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any point to the pass you get to get into the big city? I ran into those guards that forbid me from coming in hours ago, and just jumped off the bridge and walked into the city since there are 1000 other ways to get in. Now some guy actually gave me a pass for doing a side mission. Is that just for people who REALLY want to play by the rules or something? :lol:

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this the one with what sounds like dog yelps?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any point to the pass you get to get into the big city? I ran into those guards that forbid me from coming in hours ago, and just jumped off the bridge and walked into the city since there are 1000 other ways to get in. Now some guy actually gave me a pass for doing a side mission. Is that just for people who REALLY want to play by the rules or something? :lol:

I got the pass (maybe even two passes?) before I ever reached a checkpoint.

Better to allow jumping into the water than to Assassin's Creed it up with artificial restrictions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

You're not alone. I have been whistling to myself for 3 FULL DAYS that theme. It's so good but I want it to stop :smithicide:

Is it in Polish? It's sort of annoying that what's stuck in my head is just an incomprehensible

bla blee bla bla blooooo
bla blee bla bla bla
bla bla blaa blaa
bloooo

repeat ad infinitum

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is there a list of vendors that sell gwent cards? I know the innkeepers sell them, but who else? I've bought maybe 8 or 12 from vendors and I need more. My non-northern decks arn't even playable yet and im 30 hours in!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Is it in Polish? It's sort of annoying that what's stuck in my head is just an incomprehensible

bla blee bla bla blooooo
bla blee bla bla bla
bla bla blaa blaa
bloooo

repeat ad infinitum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mez7zaB6PoY

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Khagan posted:

What Orv said. The devs have stated that the game would be easy for newcomers to grasp in all aspects iirc.

Alright,cool.But can my computer run it decently? It has an Intel i7-4790 CPU with 3.60 GHz of RAM if that helps.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Rock trolls have the best dialog.

Where... Where Bart turdy dump

Orv
May 4, 2011
No small part of why Skellige is so good is the music while you're just exploring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gokhBJWSjeM

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
You can charm rabbits and make them follow you.

You can be the Lord of the Hares

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
While we're on the topic of music:

It's criminal that all of the Gwent tracks aren't on the actual OST.

They are soo good

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No it's not that one, it's more loud wailing in a minor key. I don't remember any male voices.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

No it's not that one, it's more loud wailing in a minor key. I don't remember any male voices.

The other two vocal combat tracks are the monster combat track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6fyS_yS228

And this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCgYaUGdNA

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Well, now I know what I'll be doing for the next 6 hours.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Either you have messed up ears, are a non native English speaker, or are confusing language speaking with the quality of writing.

In the more invested quests Geralt sounds like a human being. In the less invested he sounds slightly awkward because the phrases are awkward.

So far my favourite choosable dialogue is when a Nilfguardian asks you why you saved him from a lynch mob

""I don't like lynch mobs"

That's the thing though, really, awkward phrasing/dialogue is because it's a translation, so a lot of that goes away. It's not like THE WORST DIALOGUE EVER he's just not a very interesting VA. It didn't really bother me too much 'till I heard the polish VA which was noticeably better.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 25, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
A bookie named Claytop just asked me throw a fight against Georgious George, and then told me I'd regret it when I told him to kiss my rear end. I got a laugh at the reference when it clicked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I wish the Axii effect didnt look insanely bad... whenever I see that loving 2d sprite in a closeup dialogue scene I wanna barf.