Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mormon Star Wars posted:

WildStar needs to stay WildStar. The players are coming.

ahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Andrew Verse posted:

No they're not. WildStar is a dead game with negative buzz. If those players are going anywhere, it's Final Fantasy XIV, which is universally considered to be a pretty good game.

FF14 has some glaring issues. I don't think there is actually a good mmo now wow took a ride down the raid or die rabbithole.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I've been lurking this thread for a while and I figured I'd contribute to the fun. So I figured what the hell and got the trial. I got into some random guild and uh... guess who's in it.

Most of the members told her to stop because they were getting uncomfortable.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate

desudrive posted:

Stupid stuff

I think it's time to close this thread. And this is coming from a fan of the Wildstar thread. Who the gently caress are these people???

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DankRhymer posted:

I think it's time to close this thread. And this is coming from a fan of the Wildstar thread. Who the gently caress are these people???

The once and future mod of /r/wildstar

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

DankRhymer posted:

If you don't know who franbunny is then you aren't a fan of this thread because her crazy is a thread favorite topic.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Franbunny is a blooming onion of crazystupid.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Mormon Star Wars posted:

This dude runs a podcast about crowfall in his off time complaining about casuals and bads and whiny babies trying to infiltrate his manly man game. I love the wildstar F2P thread.

Please let me know which Crowfall podcast, I need new fodder.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 25, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

FF14 has some glaring issues. I don't think there is actually a good mmo now wow took a ride down the raid or die rabbithole.

To be fair, I played WoW years ago and wasn't impressed then, either. So I guess the number of good mmos was always zero?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What are FF14'S glaring issues? It's the most fun MMO I've played so far.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

After testing it a bit, I came to the conclusion it's only flaw is it taking money out of your bankaccount once a month. Which to be fair, is the standard flaw every MMO has.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The combat is slow as poo poo, the action heartbeat is way too long, the AH is garbage, the bank system is garbage, the cosmetic system is garbage, trying to catch up to current content means wading through literal months of story content to unlock the most recent raids and group finders, because of how bad the inventory management system is crafting class leveling is painful as hell, materia melding having a fail chance like some cut price korean f2p mmo, if you weren't playing when the personal housing came out you are never getting one

It has stuff that could keep you playing but it also has a whole lot of unfun bullshit if you don't want to perservere.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

The combat is slow as poo poo, the action heartbeat is way too long, the AH is garbage, the bank system is garbage, the cosmetic system is garbage, trying to catch up to current content means wading through literal months of story content to unlock the most recent raids and group finders, because of how bad the inventory management system is crafting class leveling is painful as hell, materia melding having a fail chance like some cut price korean f2p mmo, if you weren't playing when the personal housing came out you are never getting one

It has stuff that could keep you playing but it also has a whole lot of unfun bullshit if you don't want to perservere.

This is literally the definite description of every fantasy MMO ever.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm going back to EverQuest 1.

Pack it up, carbinailures.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Byolante posted:

The combat pacing also bothered me at the beginning. So much that I even quit after level 20 or so. Now I think it's fine. Could be faster though.

The other stuff is bad, yes, but the core experience of playing together with other players and having the opportunity to do so is executed very well.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I am playing SWTOR and planning to goback to GW2 for heart of thorns, so I may be the odd one when it comes from quitting wow and not going to final fantasy eventhough I made it to high levels and thought the game was good.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

This is literally the definite description of every fantasy MMO ever.

In WoW, which is a terrible game for its own reasons, you don't need to:

-go to a specific spot, call a helper with a horrible clunky menu to access your bank/auction house/sold items
-Find somebody or make your own special items then find someone with the right professions to do cosmetic skins on items
-Complete the chain to open highmaul to enter blackrock foundry (or even complete a chain to enter a raid)

WoW has a realtime action heartbeat so if you aren't standing in an aoe when it goes off you don't get hit by it, not have to be out of it before the most recent heartbeat refresh.

Putting gems in your gear doesn't have a random chance to fail, taking a weeks worth of gil with it when it gets deleted.

You can craft from your bank, which has a dedicated materials tab.

Not even wildstar locks you out of player housing if you weren't there when the first rush happened.

There is good reasons to play ff14, they release new good content regularly and the encounters are well designed by mmo standards and all the classes are fun, there is just a gently caress tun of clunky unfun bullshit which gets glossed over by the people who have a burning love for it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
You can push a turd with a stick, but if you push it back and forth with some friends it becomes oh so much more fun. Eventually that turd tries up and you all go your separate ways or go off together in search of another pile of poo poo.

MMOs ladies and gentlemen. None of these games are good after a while.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

In WoW, which is a terrible game for its own reasons, you don't need to:

-go to a specific spot, call a helper with a horrible clunky menu to access your bank/auction house/sold items
-Find somebody or make your own special items then find someone with the right professions to do cosmetic skins on items
-Complete the chain to open highmaul to enter blackrock foundry (or even complete a chain to enter a raid)

WoW has a realtime action heartbeat so if you aren't standing in an aoe when it goes off you don't get hit by it, not have to be out of it before the most recent heartbeat refresh.

Putting gems in your gear doesn't have a random chance to fail, taking a weeks worth of gil with it when it gets deleted.

You can craft from your bank, which has a dedicated materials tab.

Not even wildstar locks you out of player housing if you weren't there when the first rush happened.

There is good reasons to play ff14, they release new good content regularly and the encounters are well designed by mmo standards and all the classes are fun, there is just a gently caress tun of clunky unfun bullshit which gets glossed over by the people who have a burning love for it.

My reaction to WoW was more like this:

quote:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I don't get what you mean by real time heartbeat. In ff14 you take damage if you are in an AE when the cast bar ends, not when the animation finishes. I've never had an issue with this and I don't live particularly close to the server center (although I am on the same continent at least so there's that).

The rest of what you say is true (although housing depends on server) but also a couple complaints are moderately petty. Like, complaining about having to do the story may as well just read as "gently caress I hate doing content! When will these devs stop giving me things to do?" Having to run the old raids is hardly a burden either since if your group is ready for final coil then you should be able to blow through the first couple of turns in under an hour each. Being able to summon your little jerks to do AH poo poo anywhere would certainly be nice but it isn't exactly a pain to get to a summoning bell (plus they had to have changed this in WoD because last time I played WoW in mists you still needed to hit up an auction nerd). The housing thing is outrageous though. You get locked out of an entire sub system that prints money without a house. And gently caress materia forever.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

this is only true if you're trying to overmeld. melding materia into sockets that exist always succeeds.

and it's not "a week's worth" of gil since if you're overmelding, you're rich.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't get what you mean by real time heartbeat.

I always took this as to mean WoW has the best feeling global cooldown system with abilities and such. After I play WoW, a lot of other games just feel clunky and slow as poo poo even though they aren't all that bad.

Or it could mean something completely different.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Your heartbeat needs to sync with the game's heartbeat to unlock your hidden potential.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Givin posted:

Or it could mean something completely different.

dot/hot effects, passive mana regeneration are tied to a background tick, and everything ticks at the same time, together

aoe effects on the ground aren't affected by this though, it's just being out of the clearly marked zone before it goes away. even if you get out of the area after it goes away, you'll get hit, because the hit/not hit check is when the visual disappears.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

having the GCD be super short means button mashing becomes viable and you get a license to be poo poo at the game

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ilifinicus posted:

having the GCD be super short means button mashing becomes viable and you get a license to be poo poo at the game

Still trying to tell yourself you're better because you're playing a game with poo poo combat, are we?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Days since last FFXIV slap fight: 0

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sword_man.gif posted:

dot/hot effects, passive mana regeneration are tied to a background tick, and everything ticks at the same time, together

aoe effects on the ground aren't affected by this though, it's just being out of the clearly marked zone before it goes away. even if you get out of the area after it goes away, you'll get hit, because the hit/not hit check is when the visual disappears.

Maybe they have fixed aoes but last time I played something like cragdad was loving obviously hosed. It was even worse around ARR launch though. I had absolutely no trouble dodging all sorts of bullshit aoes in wow but cragdad was impossible to dodge the aoes unless I was moving as he started turning, not when the tell displayed on my screen.

With Auctions, you do need to go to an AH but you don't need to click through a horrible tree menu from a SNES rpg to get to the sale window and you can collect the completed sale money from any mailbox. Really anything that interacts with your follower is godawful.

I think saying 'gently caress doing content is fair when its not just running through all the coils and all the loving story quests relating to them, but also the entire loving plot since release if you want to do primals. Its like locking updated onyxia or ruby sanctum behind the entire plot of the expansion pack. Is it hard to understand that people don't want to go through all the FF flavoured mmo fetch quests to be able to do the fun stuff (raids/dungeons). Its attunement and I thought this thread had already realised attunement is bad and dumb.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

orcane posted:

Still trying to tell yourself you're better because you're playing a game with poo poo combat, are we?
every mmo combat is poo poo to TERA, it's true

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Byolante posted:

Maybe they have fixed aoes but last time I played something like cragdad was loving obviously hosed. It was even worse around ARR launch though. I had absolutely no trouble dodging all sorts of bullshit aoes in wow but cragdad was impossible to dodge the aoes unless I was moving as he started turning, not when the tell displayed on my screen.

With Auctions, you do need to go to an AH but you don't need to click through a horrible tree menu from a SNES rpg to get to the sale window and you can collect the completed sale money from any mailbox. Really anything that interacts with your follower is godawful.

I think saying 'gently caress doing content is fair when its not just running through all the coils and all the loving story quests relating to them, but also the entire loving plot since release if you want to do primals. Its like locking updated onyxia or ruby sanctum behind the entire plot of the expansion pack. Is it hard to understand that people don't want to go through all the FF flavoured mmo fetch quests to be able to do the fun stuff (raids/dungeons). Its attunement and I thought this thread had already realised attunement is bad and dumb.

For what it's worth Titan's Weight of the Land is widely scorned for being a twitchy bastard move. There's really nothing in the game quite as unforgiving as Titan, having cleared all the way through Turn 13 there's literally not other AOE I've seen that's been as unforgiving and cheap. I've honestly had a lot more trouble with regards to getting clipped by AoEs in World of Warcraft as well, I've always found it way easier to dodge in FF14.

I concede that Retainers are clunky, but where I'm sitting it's never been godawful. Horrible Tree Menu implies it's something more than "Choose retainer, choose sell, choose item". That's a little clunky but that's all it is.

As for the rest of what you're saying sorry, I think it's down to taste. I'm sorry the game wasn't for you, I really enjoyed FF14 and I do hope you find an MMO that agrees with you someday.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Does FFXIV still require you to kill the primals before you can level past them?

Because that was almost impossible for me with the pubbie dps that kept dropping before the boss was even remotely hurt.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Omnicrom posted:

For what it's worth Titan's Weight of the Land is widely scorned for being a twitchy bastard move. There's really nothing in the game quite as unforgiving as Titan, having cleared all the way through Turn 13 there's literally not other AOE I've seen that's been as unforgiving and cheap. I've honestly had a lot more trouble with regards to getting clipped by AoEs in World of Warcraft as well, I've always found it way easier to dodge in FF14.

I concede that Retainers are clunky, but where I'm sitting it's never been godawful. Horrible Tree Menu implies it's something more than "Choose retainer, choose sell, choose item". That's a little clunky but that's all it is.

As for the rest of what you're saying sorry, I think it's down to taste. I'm sorry the game wasn't for you, I really enjoyed FF14 and I do hope you find an MMO that agrees with you someday.

I didn't ever say FF14 was a bad game overall if it helps. I was just saying that its not a universally awesome experience that people seem to claim a lot. I think if they changed inventory to match how it works in wow, let you que for dungeons while you have your chocobo out, not lock instances behind story quests and let everyone have a house then it would be a better mmo than wow. I still wouldn't play it because I am done with mmos but its a real shame that some of the game is so bad because the rest is so good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Byolante posted:

I didn't ever say FF14 was a bad game overall if it helps. I was just saying that its not a universally awesome experience that people seem to claim a lot. I think if they changed inventory to match how it works in wow, let you que for dungeons while you have your chocobo out, not lock instances behind story quests and let everyone have a house then it would be a better mmo than wow. I still wouldn't play it because I am done with mmos but its a real shame that some of the game is so bad because the rest is so good.

It's still the best AAA MMO on the market right now.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Byolante posted:

Ah that does clear things up. Well if you're tired of MMOs then don't let me or anyone else stop you, play what you want how you want to. With luck maybe there will be a new up and comer if you change your mind and come back to the genre.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Verranicus posted:

It's still the best AAA MMO on the market right now.

Some games do some quality of life stuff better, but overall this is true. And the most important thing for every game and especially MMOs is the mindset of the game designers. It's the correct one for this game.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I played up to level like, 25/15 main and then subclass on FFXIV and then didn't want to pay a subscription. It has the problem that a lot of MMOs have with me - I'm tired of the whole 'here's a mob you need to kill, don't you dare try to fight more than one or two or you'll die, also kill 15 of them' thing. I like feeling actually powerful in the games I play, I like how in CoX and TERA and Champions and STO I can run into a group of 10 mobs and wipe them all out with little to no trouble, so long as I don't just autoattack. I loved how when leveling in WoW I could just spam aoes and self heals and fight entire groups of mobs at once.

Combined with how slow the combat felt due to the like, 2 second global cooldown, I just felt no urge to keep playing FFXIV. I loved the dungeons, I loved actually tanking in stuff and doing poo poo in a group. If I could just jump to max level and not have to go through the tedious leveling bullshit, I'd play FFXIV and no other game.

But yeah the way the inventory, dungeon finder, crafting, etc all worked all felt really outdated? I mean I sort of explained that away by comparing it to F2P Korean MMOs I played years and years ago, but that's not great.

It's a pretty game though.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I want to like FF14 but I'm not real big on dungeons and that seems to make up about 95% of the game, so we'll forever be only acquaintances.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I like the game, because you can spend almost all of your time in dungeons and raids. But yeah, if you don't like that you shouldn't play FF14.

At least there is a good AAA MMO for dungeon and raiding fans. Sandbox releases have been non-existent or atrocious for a long time.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
That's my problem with a lot of modern MMOs, they're too sterile and well tuned that you never get to feel stronger. I liked using Weird Old Tricks that most games just don't have anymore; kiting, charming, reverse charming, absorb tanking are pretty funny and good. Even the art of pulling used to be pretty engaging, but it doesn't seem needed anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

darkhand posted:

That's my problem with a lot of modern MMOs, they're too sterile and well tuned that you never get to feel stronger. I liked using Weird Old Tricks that most games just don't have anymore; kiting, charming, reverse charming, absorb tanking are pretty funny and good. Even the art of pulling used to be pretty engaging, but it doesn't seem needed anymore.

I remember reading an old interview with some Everquest devs about how they were appalled that players were using feign death as a means to pull mobs and retrieve corpses and not running into each room guns blazing fighting all the monsters like they had envisioned

• Locked thread