Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

SaltLick posted:

If that Canadian lady could get up and partly down the mountain by training on a stair master then anyone can do it.

Nope. First crevasse 20 feet away from my tent that I have to cross on a ladder, and I'm a goner.

gently caress that, first rope bridge that I have to cross on the way to my tent and I'm a goner.

I'm kind of a wuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I think it's fair to say that any healthy adult in reasonably good shape* could climb Everest. The things that kill you are usually weather, accidents and human stupidity - it's not that it's a difficult or technical climb.

* So, not me.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Basically if you can run a mile and live somewhere it snows at least 2 months out of the year, you can easily climb Everest.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Wait, so did I win the death pool?

That would loving figure; I've never won a guessing game in my life except for maybe one time in second grade when I think I won a jar full of horrible candy corn.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Basically if you can run a mile and live somewhere it snows at least 2 months out of the year, you can easily climb Everest.

pookel posted:

I think it's fair to say that any healthy adult in reasonably good shape* could climb Everest. The things that kill you are usually weather, accidents and human stupidity - it's not that it's a difficult or technical climb.

* So, not me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
She did climb Everest, it was the descent that got her.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
I guess it's always been a weird quirk of mine to consider "climbing" as managing to get up and back down. Even though I know that more people tend to die on the descent than the ascent.

Just saying, while we know Everest isn't super technical, it's still a big-rear end dangerous mountain to attempt, and just because a person can do it (under ideal circumstances and with decent luck) doesn't mean they should try it.

I wonder how many people are lulled into a false sense of security by their ascents. As much as I hate uphill anything, I've often found that while going downhill might feel more comfortable, it's typically a lot trickier.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Picnic Princess posted:

This might be of interest to people, I've posted it in the hiking thread before.

Parks Canada posts accident reports for all major incidents in the Canadian Rockies National Parks, in hopes that it's used as a tool for people to learn from others' mistakes and accidents. They range from really experienced people who just encounter bad luck/nature just being nature, to extreme idiots completely out of their league. They go back to 2010.

http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents - Ambleside Mountain Rescue has reports going back to 1970, some of them are hillarious. I can't find it now but I remember one where they had to carry a woman all the way down and she refused to share her tunnocks with them despite their begging. When they got to the bottom she walked off.

Just some I picked off the first page I came to:

Incident Report #82 1997 posted:

Sun, 2nd November 1997, 10:54
We were alerted by mobile phone that these three were unhurt, but lost in the vicinity of Stickle Tarn. A search, using dogs and man power was organised, but nothing was found. A little later we were contacted from the Old Dungeon Ghyll to say that they had found there way down. An interview with them revealed that they had actually been near Angle Tarn (a subtle, but significant difference). Where I went to school, we would have called people like this "Divvies", and there are several popular contemporary expressions, that decency prevents me from using, that would be appropriate

Incident Report #54 1997 posted:

Fri, 1st August 1997, 14:27
An old knee injury re-occurred, apparently rendering this 17-year-old boy unable to move. The diagnosis, PATHETIC.

Incident Report #45 1997 posted:

Sun, 6th July 1997, 16:32
This 52-year-old American woman suffered a badly dislocated kneecap after she had slipped and landed on it. It's kneecaps in room 101 for me, and eyeballs. I can't do them. For some people it's spiders, for others, flying, for me it's knee caps and eyeballs (and Austin Maestro's, but this is neither the time or the place)

Incident Report #39 1997 posted:

Mon, 16th June 1997, 12:28
Two hours of searching for a sheepdog called 'Help'

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 23, 2015

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Nettle Soup posted:

http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents - Ambleside Mountain Rescue has reports going back to 1970, some of them are hillarious. I can't find it now but I remember one where they had to carry a woman all the way down and she refused to share her tunnocks with them despite their begging. When they got to the bottom she walked off.

I doubt there is a person on earth who would willingly surrender a tunnocks

e: also I think if you live in Cumbria you have to make your own entertainment

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
On the subject of aagravating the hell out of search and rescue:

quote:

...two men and their teenage sons tackled one of the world’s most unforgiving summertime hikes: the Grand Canyon’s parched and searing Royal Arch Loop. Along with bedrolls and freeze-dried food, the inexperienced backpackers carried a personal locator beacon — just in case.
In the span of three days, the group pushed the panic button three times, mobilizing helicopters for dangerous, lifesaving rescues inside the steep canyon walls.

The Grand Canyon’s Royal Arch loop, the National Park Service warns, “has a million ways to get into serious trouble” for those lacking skill and good judgment. One evening the fathers-and-sons team activated their beacon when they ran out of water.

Rescuers, who did not know the nature of the call, could not launch the helicopter until morning. When the rescuers arrived, the group had found a stream and declined help.

That night, they activated the emergency beacon again. This time the Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter, which has night vision capabilities, launched into emergency mode.

When rescuers found them, the hikers were worried they might become dehydrated because the water they found tasted salty. They declined an evacuation, and the crew left water.

The following morning the group called for help again. This time, according to a park service report, rescuers took them out and cited the leader for “creating a hazardous condition” for the rescue teams.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
These are fun to look through

Incident Report #71 1996 posted:

Sun, 10th November 1996, 12:50
A 54 year old woman put her foot down a hole and fractured her ankle in six places. Her initial location was given by a grid reference, the wrong way round, and described as "by a wall". I am informed that there are only 50,000 miles of walls in the Lakes, so this information really helped us pin-point the location.

Incident Report #51 1996 posted:

Tue, 30th July 1996, 21:35
This 21 year old man was bivi-ing out with his mate with a few cans of beer on a last bender before going into the Army, when he slipped in his trainers and fractured his ankle. Due to alcohol consumed the informant was unable to remember the location of his mate. "He was by a tree"??!! That narrowed it down a bit ! We eventually found him, by which time cold was numbing him in place of the alcohol. We did the business with his leg and carried him down.

Incident Report #19 1996 posted:

Thu, 11th April 1996, 15:30
Male, dodgy footwear, wet ground, slip, crack, floppy foot, morphine, kind words, swear words, splint, stretcher, cruel jokes, ambulance, hospital, you've heard the story before, you'll hear it again.

Incident Report #49 1994 posted:

Thu, 19th May 1994, 11:50
This Dutch lady slipped and fractured her ankle; and just to add complications she had high blood pressure, diabetes and shock. Don't you like the simple things in life? She was taken to Keswick Cottage Hospital.

and

Incident Report #15 1995 posted:

Tue, 21st February 1995, 03:43
Some incidents go down in Team Folklore. This one has become the "1 Olb. of potatoes" job. Once upon a time their were four adventurous young men who decided to go on an expedition. They packed their bags very full. They packed 10lb. of potatoes. They weren't going to go hungry on their expedition. They set off late in the day and made slow progress. (Remember, their bags were very heavy). As darkness fell they found themselves at 2000ft. on the side of Great Rigg Man. They put their tents up, and the wind took them down again, so they sat and shivered for an hour or so. Then, as the condition of two of them started to deteriorate, the other two descended to raise the alarm. This is where we join the story. It takes a few minutes at 03.43 to work out what that noise is. It's the pager going off! Get up, get dressed, get undressed and put clothes back on the right way round. Get car keys. Put shed key back and get car keys. Find car. Find Grasmere. Find two adventurous young clowns who had plans to bake their 10lb. of potatoes in a fire lit from wood collected from the fellside. They did have kitchen foil - it's a start! It hadn't occurred to them that they could have opened some of the dozen or so tins they were carrying and warm the contents on a stove. Anyway, we got them down, pointed out the error of their ways and took the p### quite a lot. Someone once asked "What does your wife say when you get called out in the middle of the night?". "Don't forget to lock the door", on the way out, and "Don't even think about touching me 'till you've warmed your hands," when you get back.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I Greyhound posted:

On the subject of aagravating the hell out of search and rescue:

They really should charge these dumbasses for the costs of S&R, when it is clearly their fault for not being prepared or if they call for stupid reasons like not having a water filter. But whenever someone suggests this, it's ":qq: no if we do that then people won't go to the backcountry :qq:" which is precisely the point, it's not Disneyland out there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually the real problem is that people in real trouble will hesitate to call for help until it's too late, out of concern for their pocketbooks and/or legal trouble. It's a tricky thing, you don't want people abusing emergency services, but make them fear using them and people will die as a result.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Leperflesh posted:

Actually the real problem is that people in real trouble will hesitate to call for help until it's too late, out of concern for their pocketbooks and/or legal trouble. It's a tricky thing, you don't want people abusing emergency services, but make them fear using them and people will die as a result.

So... how about "if you call for help we'll take you back for free the first time, if you keep pressing the button for dumb reasons then prepare your anus" :v:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

blowfish posted:

So... how about "if you call for help we'll take you back for free the first time, if you keep pressing the button for dumb reasons then prepare your anus" :v:

Same problem still applies - what if the idiots who called about being dehydrated on Friday fell off a ledge on Saturday and are stranded with serious injuries? Sure, they're still idiots who shouldn't have called the first time, and sure, they really shouldn't be out there at all, but that still doesn't mean S&R should leave them out there to die.

I think an "if you call for help, then you have to return with us and go home" rule might be useful, though. Send the idiots away after the first time they call in, but no threat of charging people to scare off those in real need.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

pookel posted:

I think an "if you call for help, then you have to return with us and go home" rule might be useful, though. Send the idiots away after the first time they call in, but no threat of charging people to scare off those in real need.

Sounds reasonable.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The other problem is that the cost is really, really high such that there's almost no chance of getting it paid by a person who would be willing, let alone a shitbag. It costs about $5000 to get a rescue helicopter off the ground, and then something like a grand per minute of flight time. Most life flights, just hospital to hospital or scene to hospital, without a search or rescue, cost between $12000 and $25000 but they can be much more.

So basically it's prison. You'll notice the three button pusher was eventually dragged out and cited.

We get the same thing in EMS, the guy who calls because he's "going to kill himself" twice daily, and because of liability we have to go lights and sirens every time unless cops are on scene already. The alcoholic who we pick up every other night as an "unconscious person" because he's too fond of drink that sends $3 million worth of apparatus launching down the road. But there's no easy solution, because that one time you don't go hot or get a bird in the air is guaranteed to be the time that they're in cardiac arrest or actually injured.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

pookel posted:

Same problem still applies - what if the idiots who called about being dehydrated on Friday fell off a ledge on Saturday and are stranded with serious injuries? Sure, they're still idiots who shouldn't have called the first time, and sure, they really shouldn't be out there at all, but that still doesn't mean S&R should leave them out there to die.

Turns out that taking someone against their will is illegal. It's called kidnapping.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

The Light Eternal posted:

Turns out that taking someone against their will is illegal. It's called kidnapping.

This is the government, not some random guy with a helicopter. There are certain people who act in service of the government who are able to force people to leave an area.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Search & Rescue teams would have to bring along an officer of the law with every team, I guess? A park ranger or, when not on federal land, a sheriff's deputy or something? And of course, not everyone is going to agree or comply with an arrest, and someone resisting could endanger the rescue operation, and once again, as soon as people hear that maybe you can get arrested for calling for help, some folks won't call for help.

The thing is, S&R can be very expensive, but if the fire department pays your house a visit, that costs a lot, too. Ambulance dispatch and EMTs are expensive. There's a reason why we as a society pool our money to pay for the costs of emergency services, and it's because back in the olden days when people had to pay out-of-pocket to private fire companies, etc., they couldn't. And people died, property was lost, it was a goddamn mess.

I think if S&R repeat-offenders/people who cry wolf/etc. are a significant problem and drain on resources, there does need to be some kind of way of eventually shutting them down. But it probably has to be handled on a case-by-case basis, and it needs to be highly sensitive to the requirement that people must not be discouraged in any way from calling for help when they need it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It probably varies by jurisdiction, but in my case it was just the heli team and EMS involved in the rescue. The cops didn't show up until after I had been stabilized in hospital. They questioned me and my husband separately to make sure no one was criminally responsible.

There is one recent incident locally where a guy had to pay full cost of the heli rescue because his dog got stuck on technical terrain and they flew in to get it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

I think it must be this one....
http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents/2001/incident/24

quote:

Incident Report #24 2001
Tue, 21st August 2001, 21:54
Are you sitting comfortably, because this is a good one!
(I suggest a beer and some crisps as a minimum) We were called to assist a 53-year-old male and a 47-year-old female who where benighted in the area of Harrison Stickle. It seemed a simple matter of finding them, and walking them down. They'd given us a fairly good idea where they were, and finding them wasn't difficult. In fact we located them about 11.30pm. The team members who got to them first were greeted by complaints that they had walked past, despite their shouts. It didn't seem to matter that their rescuers had to continue up the ghyll past them, in order to find a safe place to cross the ravine that forms the upper section of Dungeon Ghyll. The second part of the greeting was to 'instruct' a team member to carry the woman's bag. This was a 'fashion' duffle bag, with a big coat hanging from it. The couple were fortified with drinks and glucose tablets and the
descent started. After a short distance the woman's newfound porter asked if he could put the coat inside the bag because it was in danger of tripping him. She reluctantly agreed, but said that he wasn't to squash the chocolate muffins that were in the bag. The porter opened the bag and found that it contained a 4-pack of chocolate muffins, a packet of famous brand caramel wafers, chocolate eclairs, a bag of toffees, bananas, apples, oranges, Twiglets, crisps, yoghurts(!), cartons of juice and a famous brand of reconstituted potato snack, in a tube. (Why do they give you a reusable lid, when they must know that once opened, you cannot avoid eating the lot?) This was only what was visible imediately by the light of a head torch, and there could easily have been more. The porter was excited by the prospect of a little snack, but the Tunnocks were only handed over reluctantly. What is normally a descent of around an hour stretched out until around 5am, on account of the woman's physical condition. Her husband was escorted to the valley floor some two hours earlier. Questioning revealed that the man was more than capable of navigating a way down, it was just that the woman refused to go down any of his chosen routes because they were too steep. She complained to her rescuers that the way they had chosen was also too steep, but they left her in no doubt that that was the only way she was going to be escorted down. She even criticised somebody she had seen many hours earlier for wearing sandals. She may have had a point, but the irony of the situation seemed lost on her. This team doesn't rescue people for gratitude or money, but , respectively one is pleasant to receive, and the other is quite useful for the development of the team, but on some occasions you feel well and truly screwed! This was one of those occasions., Sorry, I went on a bit then!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I've heard that S&R in parks is going up because people don't pick up a paper map before going hiking anymore. It's just beep boop we have the technology old man but then strava kills their battery or they have no signal, and suddenly they're Robinson Crusoe and they hit their rescue button 8 miles from the ranger station, or they end up genuinely lost, a loved one reports them missing, and the whole last known area has to be combed because they can't find their way out of the wilderness equivalent of an empty bedroom.

What I'm saying is, buy a goddamn topo, at least a trail map before hiking, please. Paper and a compass don't need batteries.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 24, 2015

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Watching people try to read a topographical map is hilarious, because no one knows how to do it anymore. All the extra line just confuse them.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Paramemetic posted:

The other problem is that the cost is really, really high such that there's almost no chance of getting it paid by a person who would be willing, let alone a shitbag. It costs about $5000 to get a rescue helicopter off the ground, and then something like a grand per minute of flight time. Most life flights, just hospital to hospital or scene to hospital, without a search or rescue, cost between $12000 and $25000 but they can be much more.

So basically it's prison. You'll notice the three button pusher was eventually dragged out and cited.

We get the same thing in EMS, the guy who calls because he's "going to kill himself" twice daily, and because of liability we have to go lights and sirens every time unless cops are on scene already. The alcoholic who we pick up every other night as an "unconscious person" because he's too fond of drink that sends $3 million worth of apparatus launching down the road. But there's no easy solution, because that one time you don't go hot or get a bird in the air is guaranteed to be the time that they're in cardiac arrest or actually injured.

Sure; however, what's the real cost? I'm not interested in how much the company who runs the air ambulance service chargers the patient.

Search and rescue (and air ambulance service) should be something provided by the state for free. If you have to charge someone though, it should be no more than cost.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 24, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Then the people can have a choice. If they call for a rescue, they either go with the rescue team back to a safe area, or they pay for the team to go out there for nothing. That way, if people are afraid of being bankrupted by their idiocy, they get a free ride back to safety. If someone is afraid of being "kidnapped," they just pay several thousand dollars and be on their way.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think one of the most amazing things about those rescue reports is that they're written so jovially. It's nice to see an essentially federal department not afraid to write in colloquialisms and to be honest about their experiences

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Madcosby posted:

I think one of the most amazing things about those rescue reports is that they're written so jovially. It's nice to see an essentially federal department not afraid to write in colloquialisms and to be honest about their experiences

And eventually, some moron's precious feelings will be hurt, and there will be a shitstorm. Said moron will probably a random person from the internet who can't imagine people working a government job are still people and not beep boop made-to-spec robots.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

ZombieLenin posted:

Sure; however, what's the real cost? I'm not interested in how much the company who runs the air ambulance service chargers the patient.

Search and rescue (and air ambulance service) should be something provided by the state for free. If you have to charge someone though, it should be no more than cost.

In Maryland, those are free at taxpayer expense. Those costs are not really big moneymakers though. The MSP helicopters cost just over $1500 per flight hour in maintenance alone, not including fuel, pilots, or other logistics. This is entirely taxpayer funded.

I fully agree that these are services that should be provided free, but that does not mean they are free to provide. I love that my state taxes gas to provide free rescue aviation. I was only providing those numbers because "just send a bill for bad calls" is not an option. Those birds are hungry and no individual is going to carry that cost, court ordered or no. Might as well try to get milk from stones.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
most of the ones posted are british and its a volunteer team

also ambleside is lovely but apart from breaking an ankle or something you probably have to do something pretty daft to end up endangering yourself

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Madcosby posted:

British S&R teams are volunteers (obviously not the helicopter guys) and traditionally consisted of whoever was in the local hikers pub when the alarm went and didn't have anything better to do. It's a bit more formal these days but they're still just local farmers and young lads who know the terrain and are fit enough to get up the cliffs.

The helicopter teams are usually Coast Guard and RAF pilots assigned to get valuable experience flying in mountainous areas and night missions. They come out to the busier parks quite regularly to train, and quite a few of the S&R volunteers are reservists anyway so it's natural that they work together.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

In Maryland, those are free at taxpayer expense. Those costs are not really big moneymakers though. The MSP helicopters cost just over $1500 per flight hour in maintenance alone, not including fuel, pilots, or other logistics. This is entirely taxpayer funded.

I fully agree that these are services that should be provided free, but that does not mean they are free to provide. I love that my state taxes gas to provide free rescue aviation. I was only providing those numbers because "just send a bill for bad calls" is not an option. Those birds are hungry and no individual is going to carry that cost, court ordered or no. Might as well try to get milk from stones.

if you work on the helicopters that transport people to shock trauma then its possible you were one of the people who saved my life a few years back. thatd be pretty crazy heh.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i mock people who climb mountains because i am petrified by the thought of my own mortality

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Necros posted:

i mock people who climb mountains because i am petrified by the thought of my own mortality

buddy, have you ever come to the right place

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Necros posted:

if you work on the helicopters that transport people to shock trauma then its possible you were one of the people who saved my life a few years back. thatd be pretty crazy heh.

i don't, I work on people before the choppers get there and then turn them over. MSP keeps all its paramedics in house and they're all sworn state cops. That said, I have a huge amount of respect for those guys, they do some tremendous work and my county flies a lot of people due to extended transport times via ground to trauma centers (our first due trauma center is 25 minutes by ground if you're at the nearest end of our jurisdiction, it can be up to 40 minutes by ground, lights). So I see Trooper 3 with fair regularity.

I'm glad MSP came through for you though. I'm a strong advocate for the gas tax and the Trooper medevac program, in a state that doesn't realize how lucky it is when people complain about taxes. Oh well.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

i don't, I work on people before the choppers get there and then turn them over. MSP keeps all its paramedics in house and they're all sworn state cops. That said, I have a huge amount of respect for those guys, they do some tremendous work and my county flies a lot of people due to extended transport times via ground to trauma centers (our first due trauma center is 25 minutes by ground if you're at the nearest end of our jurisdiction, it can be up to 40 minutes by ground, lights). So I see Trooper 3 with fair regularity.

I'm glad MSP came through for you though. I'm a strong advocate for the gas tax and the Trooper medevac program, in a state that doesn't realize how lucky it is when people complain about taxes. Oh well.

thats pretty interesting. i had no idea the paramedics were state police. im glad i almost got murk'd in a state with that type of program in place and awesome medical personnel/trauma facilities.

one thing and ill stop bugging you. how do you all deal with people who have lost a lot of blood? do you just have a stock of o negative all the time in the ambulance? and doesnt it have to be kept cold and warmed up before you can use it? seems like that would take too long.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
On the topic of millionaires with Everest as a bucket list item, it probably started with Frank Wells and Dick Bass in the early 1980s. Wells was the president of Warner Brothers Pictures and Bass was the owner of Snowbird ski resort. They didn't know each other but learned that they both wanted to climb the tallest peaks on every continent. So they teamed up with a plan to do all seven in one year. Wells wouldn't or couldn't get in shape and he repeatedly failed on relatively easy peaks like Aconcagua and Elbrus. Bass actually ended up being the first person to climb all seven (and at the time he was the oldest person to climb Everest).

I just reread the book about their effort, "Seven Summits" that I first read in the 80's. It's full of handwringing about the sacrifices they were making to attempt this. Oh, how am I going to make my payments on my multimillion ski resort and vacation home? Oh, I will have to resign from being president of Warner Brothers Pictures and work on a temporary basis and what will I do then?Wells became president of Disney soon after he dropped out of the quest but before Bass finished by climbing Everest.

Then they had a celebration at Snowbird when Bass had gotten back from Everest where they flew in hundreds of people for a black tie event outside with lobster, caviar, champagne and ice sculptures. They hired a filmmaker to document the party and came up with the idea that all the guests would be assembled, then they would show up in a limo. Then they'd get out of the limo in climbing gear, go behind a wall and undress and toss their parkas and climbing gear out from behind the wall and emerge in tuxedos to the adulation of all. And that's what happened.

This was the first time that "money can get me up the mountain(s)" on such a scale happened and I think a lot things changed after that.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Necros posted:

thats pretty interesting. i had no idea the paramedics were state police. im glad i almost got murk'd in a state with that type of program in place and awesome medical personnel/trauma facilities.

one thing and ill stop bugging you. how do you all deal with people who have lost a lot of blood? do you just have a stock of o negative all the time in the ambulance? and doesnt it have to be kept cold and warmed up before you can use it? seems like that would take too long.

We don't replace blood in the field, they just pump you full of saline. The idea at that point is just to get more fluids on board of any sort to keep blood pressure from bottoming out. Blood is way too expensive and rare to keep on a bus, especially considering the issues you mentioned.

Basically, you stop the bleeding as best you can then get saline on board just to keep pressures up. They'll deal with replacing blood at the hospital.

The first part there about stopping the bleeding is super important though. I've heard stories of medics accidentally embalming patients by pressure bagging saline in and displacing all the blood.

The flight medics for the Trooper medevac program are all state police, before the helicopter the EMTs and paramedics are usually firefighters for whatever county. If you want to keep this conversation up we've got a thread in goon doctor or you're welcome to PM me if you've got it.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
So besides kilimanjaro, mt fuji and Mount Kinabalu what are some reasonable mountains to climb/hike that aren't dangerous, but still pretty spectacular for someone with no real climbing experience? Preferably something not in the usa as I'm in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

prinneh posted:

So besides kilimanjaro, mt fuji and Mount Kinabalu what are some reasonable mountains to climb/hike that aren't dangerous, but still pretty spectacular for someone with no real climbing experience? Preferably something not in the usa as I'm in Europe.

Any of the tall mountains near you will give a good view. The view from Kosciusko is pretty cool and its just a 2300m pimple compared to what you see elsewhere in the world.

• Locked thread