Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I believe, though I haven't checked it, that people in the League said Raysh and people outside said Ras.

Yeah the one person that didn't sday it right was Oliver after he was given the job... arses to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's a nice nod to how everyone says it different. Kinda like Talia/Ra's correcting Terry in Batman Beyond.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

It' reminds me of Stargate SG-1 where most people know to pronounce it Goa'uld but General Hammond keeps pronouncing it Goold because he's from Texas and gently caress you aliens I'll pronounce it how I want but this is never explicitly brought up it's just in how people pronounce the name.

Hammond wasn't the only one. The only people who ever got alien pronunciations right was Teal'c and, like, Daniel. Everyone else kind of used the americanization of those words, like they had only ever read the language and never heard it spoken before. Even after working with teal'c for like ten years, O'Niell kept saying "jaffa" like "jaffa cakes" and with entirely emphasis than Teal'c.

Now I wanna watch Stargate.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Remove Oliver and Felicity both, they've become terrible characters. Ignore the League of Assassins entirely so we never have to see Merlyn again. Bring Nyssa back for Laurel so nothing of value is lost. Make Diggle the Arrow so we have a hero we can actually look up to. Have Detective Lance get over his hate and go back to his season 2 personality.

Keep Thea as Red Arrow (or is it Speedy?) and season three actually cool Laurel as Black Canary.

Those are my hopes that will no doubt never happen.

Oliver can be awesome in the show. We've seen him be awesome before. But until the show gets it through its thick loving skull that we don't want Batman and instead want the guy the show is loving named after, he will continue to be un-awesome. :smith:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chokes McGee posted:

Oliver can be awesome in the show. We've seen him be awesome before. But until the show gets it through its thick loving skull that we don't want Batman and instead want the guy the show is loving named after, he will continue to be un-awesome. :smith:

It's not that Oliver is Batman that's bad, it's that he's the lovely navel gazing parts of Batman. The show is a lot better when Oliver isn't agonizing about his convictions and fretting about everything and everyone. Fight more crime, shoot more trick arrows, out wit your opponents. Be a loving costumed vigilante.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite Batman thing regarding his one rule was in the animated series - the Sewer King, a deranged man who kidnapped runaway children and forced them to steal for him. When Batman catches up with him he is NOT amused.

"I Don't hand out punishments. That's for the courts to decide. But for you I am SORELY tempted."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

It's not that Oliver is Batman that's bad, it's that he's the lovely navel gazing parts of Batman. The show is a lot better when Oliver isn't agonizing about his convictions and fretting about everything and everyone. Fight more crime, shoot more trick arrows, out wit your opponents. Be a loving costumed vigilante.

I think I've said this before: the dude is an archer, but relies way too much on hand-to-hand combat. I think this is because the producers think choreography is what makes people watch the show.

He should focus on kiting, tricking and disabling opponents using a large variety of arrows instead of shooting one or two and willingly close in on them. Web arrows that hamper the target's movement. Oil arrows that make the floor slippery. EMP arrows that disable electronics. Sleep arrows that knock people out.

Basically he should be doing more of this:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

I think I've said this before: the dude is an archer, but relies way too much on hand-to-hand combat.

"You should remember one thing: I don't need the bow." -Oliver Queen

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

nelson posted:

"You should remember one thing: I don't need the bow." -Oliver Queen

"I have made a terrible mistake." -Oliver Queen

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I did like his "I'm the weapon" speech to Ray, but come on, this is Green Arrow. Pew pew some arrows at some chumps, Ollie.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

"I have made a terrible mistake." -Oliver Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do you think that if we ever get a Punisher show, eventually they'll give him a no killing rule as well

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should just make Starz the Marvel MAX channel and make Banshee part of the universe.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Lucas Hood is already a better Punisher than they could possibly come up with

Swap "van" with "truck" and "dead wife and kids" with "Siobhan" and we're like 80% of the way there

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The dude playing Ra's had the least suitable voice for a menacing, centuries old warlord. I just can't perceive him as a threat when it sounds like he should be trying to sell me on the latest Intel processor range instead of promising death and destruction to half a million people. Slade was bad enough with his faux-aus accent but at least he sounded pissed off, I hope whoever they cast as the big bad in S4 actually has an aura of danger about them (I'd totally be ok with Brick taking that role. Did he die? This season formed little lasting memory)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

Slade was bad enough with his faux-aus accent

:frogout:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

RandomCheese posted:

Slade was bad enough with his faux-aus accent

that's his real accent and manu is a badass so gently caress you

totally agree about Matt Nable though, he would not have been my pick. also his fight scene stunt double looks nothing like him and it really takes you out of the scene when you notice it's not him

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bad Moon posted:

It's not that Oliver is Batman that's bad

I disagree wholeheartedly. Batman is a brooding self-obsessed rear end in a top hat ubermensch. Ollie has always been a swashbuckling bleeding heart liberal with a sense of fun and boxing glove arrows.

I came to see him turn into some muted form of the later and I'm tired of the writers not being able to get over the fact there's a bat embargo and man they'd much rather just have Batman y'know.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

RandomCheese posted:

The dude playing Ra's had the least suitable voice for a menacing, centuries old warlord. I just can't perceive him as a threat when it sounds like he should be trying to sell me on the latest Intel processor range instead of promising death and destruction to half a million people. Slade was bad enough with his faux-aus accent but at least he sounded pissed off, I hope whoever they cast as the big bad in S4 actually has an aura of danger about them (I'd totally be ok with Brick taking that role. Did he die? This season formed little lasting memory)

This version of Ra's wasn't meant to be a menacing, centuries old Warlord though. It was meant to be a man worn out by living looking for a way to pass on his legacy and find an honorable death. And Matt Nable totally nailed that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This version of Ra's wasn't meant to be a menacing, centuries old Warlord though. It was meant to be a man worn out by living looking for a way to pass on his legacy and find an honorable death. And Matt Nable totally nailed that.

Personally, I'm hopeful that Barrowman can now deliver to us the over the top, flamboyant, theatrical Ra's I've always wanted.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

XboxPants posted:

Personally, I'm hopeful that Barrowman can now deliver to us the over the top, flamboyant, theatrical Ra's I've always wanted.

Captain Jack "Ra's al Ghul" Harkness

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Ollie has always been a swashbuckling bleeding heart liberal with a sense of fun and boxing glove arrows.

Except for the only times in his history he could ever have been considered popular.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aphrodite posted:

Except for the only times in his history he could ever have been considered popular.

Outside of the Longbow Hunters, what part was that? Was it when he was angry with Fascist Government Stooge Superman, or when he was arguing with the Question about Ayn Rand, or when he was the Voice of Reason trying to keep the JLU grounded, or when he was making cracks about his Buzzsaw arrows and sliding down a rope humming his own theme song? Even when the Longbow Hunters came out and was pretty popular, it was still seen as a departure and an obvious part of the across-the-board obsession at the time with Grim and Gritty in the wake of Dark Knight Returns. For a lot of people, the JLU Green Arrow based on the bleeding heart liberal swashbuckler is still the definitive one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There is no "outside of".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I don't know what Green Arrow's theme song is but I like to imagine it's got the same tune as TMBG's "Meet James Ensor".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't know what Green Arrow's theme song is but I like to imagine it's got the same tune as TMBG's "Meet James Ensor".

I think it's "nanananananananana ARROW!"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Da dun da da, Da dun dun da!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Manu Bennett has a New Zealandian accent and the showrunners were just like "gently caress it, close enough to Australian."

I did find out the guy who played Ra's was a rugby player which explains why he is actually surprisingly huge. They never really showed that much, not helped by costume really hiding all that bulk. It's a little weird.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

Manu Bennett has a New Zealandian accent and the showrunners were just like "gently caress it, close enough to Australian."

I did find out the guy who played Ra's was a rugby player which explains why he is actually surprisingly huge. They never really showed that much, not helped by costume really hiding all that bulk. It's a little weird.

He's been shirtless many times, though.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Eh, I didn't explain that super well. It's kinda like how in season 4 Game of Thrones they had that monstrous dude playing the Mountain, but they never showed him in a normal shot next to normal people. They always used weird angles or had him far away from other actors.

But this simple behind the scenes picture shows how loving inhuman he looks:

and you wonde - how did the show not show that?!

Ra's obviously isn't as extreme as that but the only time they showed off his musculature (in my recollection) was the mountain fight where we had him contrasted against Ollie who is himself crazy huge. So you don't quite get the full effect of "if this guy sprinted directly at you, the collision would probably end in your death."

Sorry, clearly watching Arrow for the past few years has me thinking far too much about abs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The show dropped in quality when they stopped showing Diggle without a shirt.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of they make a punisher show, he shouldn't have a no killing rule, he should just be really bad at it, like comically, he tried to kill someone every episode and always fails.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

VagueRant posted:

He does not have a New Zealand accent, you have no idea what you're talking about. Peter Jackson has a New Zealand accent, go watch a lord of the rings documentary if you want to hear what one sounds like. Manu was born in New Zealand but moved to Australia when he was a few months old, his accent is typical middle class Australian.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
His accent is a bit of a merge of the two, he's very in touch with his Maori side too and speaks it. (edit: Apparently he doesn't speak it fluently)

It's not a typical aussie accent, not even close. I'm aussie, and i have kiwi friends and a kiwi ex girlfriend. Accents differ with aussie born kiwi, especially Aussie Maori

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 25, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm Australian too and I can't detect a hint of kiwi in it. He sounds very similar to matt nable when he isn't trying to put on an accent - in Gallipoli for eg.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A real New Zealand accent says something racist about Maori every 6th or 7th word.

Huge hassle for TV. You need to ADR a lot.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
It's almost as if within a country there are different accents and different people have different accents based on their circumstances.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
As an American, I'm pretty sure he has a British accent.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

A real New Zealand accent says something racist about Maori every 6th or 7th word.

Yeah Manu didn't call anyone a oval office at any point, no way that's an aussie accent.

When I first saw Slade it just stuck out to me as "this dude is trying to sound australian" and he almost but not quite got there. To the world outside australia it's probably fine though, I always saw complaints about the kentucky accents in Justified but to me as a foreigner to the dialect I had no reason to believe that wasn't 100% genuine local twang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Justified is mostly people faking the accent though. That's just what Manu Bennett sounds like, probably from growing up in Australia with I assume Kiwi accented parents.

• Locked thread