Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

K8.0 posted:

I'm thinking about moving from Straight Talk to Cricket, but I see some stuff about people complaining about lovely speeds. Also, when I punch my phone's IMEI into their site it says it will only get 3g (it's an unlocked 2014 Moto X), and looking online seems to show at least some people actually being stuck at 3g speeds. Any thoughts/experience?

Cricket's phone compatibility checker is flat out useless, when I put the IMEI of my (International) Note 4 in there it also says I'll only get 3G speeds but I get LTE just fine. WillMyPhoneWork.net knows everything though, and says that a 2nd gen Moto X pure edition should work with LTE. As for lovely speeds, yes it's capped at 8 mbps, but it's a pretty consistent 8mbps all the time unless you're really out in the boonies. Plenty fast enough for netflix/pandora/youtube/whatever, and unlike some carriers cricket really doesn't seem to care what you do with your data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

K8.0 posted:

I'm thinking about moving from Straight Talk to Cricket, but I see some stuff about people complaining about lovely speeds. Also, when I punch my phone's IMEI into their site it says it will only get 3g (it's an unlocked 2014 Moto X), and looking online seems to show at least some people actually being stuck at 3g speeds. Any thoughts/experience?

This is from the howard forums FAQ:

quote:

Q. What is Crickets Network Speed?
A. Cricket limits your High-Speed data so you get "up to" 8mbps on LTE, and "up to" 4mbps on 4G(HSPA+). Throttled Speeds are 128kbps.

You may be referring to a few instances where Cricket's proxy went to poo poo in certain areas of the US and crippled people's data speeds. AFAIK, it only happened once or twice in a month span and hasn't happened in awhile now. I've been with Cricket for almost a year now, and they've been rock-solid for me. Obviously ymmv, but it looks like they're by far the most straightforward and reliable of the prepaid carriers.

As for Cricket's website telling you that your device is only 3G capable, multiple people in this thread have said that the thing on their website isn't really that reliable. Just check what bands your phone has (google the exact model # of the phone, and a site like GSM arena should tell you) and match them up with Cricket's. If it has the same LTE bands that Cricket uses, you're good to go.

E:

fralbjabar posted:

Cricket's phone compatibility checker is flat out useless, when I put the IMEI of my (International) Note 4 in there it also says I'll only get 3G speeds but I get LTE just fine. WillMyPhoneWork.net knows everything though, and says that a 2nd gen Moto X pure edition should work with LTE. As for lovely speeds, yes it's capped at 8 mbps, but it's a pretty consistent 8mbps all the time unless you're really out in the boonies. Plenty fast enough for netflix/pandora/youtube/whatever, and unlike some carriers cricket really doesn't seem to care what you do with your data.

Posted before I finished typing mine up :v:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I have used both an unlocked AT&T 2014 X and a Pure Edition X on Cricket with no issues (well there was that activation issue but I think that was a fluke).

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Man game stop sells cricket stuff... Would have been nice to know! I spent two months messing about with cricket because I didn't get the Sim I ordered. A game stop literally across the street from my work.

After three months of service a do like cricket though.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, in order to go through with the 99c SIM activation deal, you need your 15 digit IMEI number. It says to press #06# to get it from my phone, but my phone says I don't have a mobile network (no duhhh). Maybe this deal is only for folks who currently have service elsewhere?

Oh, wait, it's on the box my phone came in. Hah.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 22, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's also in the battery compartment and android setting screen.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ah, I didn't see it.

So, I think I'm bailing on Cricket. I literally have 4 pending transactions from their site putting them through while giving me an error message on my address (they require the shipping/billing to the the same address.) I expected their site to suck, but wow. So I call their number, cannot get a live person if not a customer. Ok, I go to the chat, and someone with the typing/grammar skills of a 3rd grader gives me the same number, finally giving me the number to the warranty department after 5 minutes. I call there, wait for a bunch of recordings, get a live person, who then transfers me elsewhere into some recordings, and I finally get a live person. A live person who has never run into this issue before. We end the call with her saying she'll call me back in 15 while I call my bank to contest the transactions, of course the bank needs them on the line. So I will either have to let them hear the last 4 of my Social or trust them to contact my bank on their own (hah, yeah right). Not a huge deal to hear the last 4 of my social but still, wtf. Waiting on her to call back now.

Google says my Moto G LTE should work on Tmobile. True? I don't know why I didn't just go with the dork plan in the first place, 5gb data for $30/mo compared to $45 with autopay... worried about building penetration and slightly less coverage but after this fiasco I really don't give a gently caress, I'll go outside to call people and tough it out, yikes.

ThermoPhysical -- I don't know if that wastes your referral or anything, but I won't be using it. Sorry!

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 22, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

All Else Failed posted:

Ah, I didn't see it.

So, I think I'm bailing on Cricket. I literally have 4 pending transactions from their site putting them through while giving me an error message on my address (they require the shipping/billing to the the same address.) I expected their site to suck, but wow. So I call their number, cannot get a live person if not a customer. Ok, I go to the chat, and someone with the typing/grammar skills of a 3rd grader gives me the same number, finally giving me the number to the warranty department after 5 minutes. I call there, wait for a bunch of recordings, get a live person, who then transfers me elsewhere into some recordings, and I finally get a live person. A live person who has never run into this issue before. We end the call with her saying she'll call me back in 15 while I call my bank to contest the transactions, of course the bank needs them on the line. So I will either have to let them hear the last 4 of my Social or trust them to contact my bank on their own (hah, yeah right). Not a huge deal to hear the last 4 of my social but still, wtf. Waiting on her to call back now.

Google says my Moto G LTE should work on Tmobile. True? I don't know why I didn't just go with the dork plan in the first place, 5gb data for $30/mo compared to $45 with autopay... worried about building penetration and slightly less coverage but after this fiasco I really don't give a gently caress, I'll go outside to call people and tough it out, yikes.

ThermoPhysical -- I don't know if that wastes your referral or anything, but I won't be using it. Sorry!

Yah, it does but I honestly don't blame you. That's pretty loving crazy customer service. I wouldn't let any company have direct access to your bank like that if they gently caress around like that.

Customer service for most companies seems to be lacking horribly lately...except for maybe Apple. Even Motorola isn't safe from it.

I'm not sure if the Moto G LTE would work but if it's the unlocked version, I don't see why not.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yah, it does but I honestly don't blame you. That's pretty loving crazy customer service. I wouldn't let any company have direct access to your bank like that if they gently caress around like that.

Customer service for most companies seems to be lacking horribly lately...except for maybe Apple. Even Motorola isn't safe from it.

I'm not sure if the Moto G LTE would work but if it's the unlocked version, I don't see why not.

Aww, I am totally sorry. I have to wait until Monday to see that the charges drop off because Cricket has no record of them and my bank can't cancel them without information from Cricket which they refused to provide or didn't have. Either way, pisspoor site design and customer service no matter how you slice it. It's unlocked so I'ma go to the T-Mobile site and give it a whirl now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Do you need the 5 GB of monthly data? If you can get past their "business use" filter Harbor Mobile has a unlimited talk/text & 2.5 GB data for $30 deal going right now - the deal is the data is +1.5 GB/month until next January.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geoj posted:

Do you need the 5 GB of monthly data? If you can get past their "business use" filter Harbor Mobile has a unlimited talk/text & 2.5 GB data for $30 deal going right now - the deal is the data is +1.5 GB/month until next January.

I don't see why I'd pay the same amount for less data on a less reputable carrier? I don't know how much data I will need, but I'm guessing 5GB won't be hard for me to hit. I plan on travelling Amtrak from NYC -> Denver then possibly -> WA -> Bay Area in a few weeks and with their basic rear end wifi I'm sure I can gobble up 5GB no problem, even without knowing how to tether.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Harbor Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO. So far in my experience there is zero difference between service with them and having an account directly with T-Mo. My phone is with Harbor, my wife has the dork plan and I've done side-by-side comparison. Data is the same speed on either device, call quality is the same, etc.

The dork plan is nice from the data standpoint but you'd be surprised how quickly you can chew through 100 minutes even if you don't talk to people on the phone all that often.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geoj posted:

Harbor Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO. So far in my experience there is zero difference between service with them and having an account directly with T-Mo. My phone is with Harbor, my wife has the dork plan and I've done side-by-side comparison. Data is the same speed on either device, call quality is the same, etc.

The dork plan is nice from the data standpoint but you'd be surprised how quickly you can chew through 100 minutes even if you don't talk to people on the phone all that often.

Ahhh, gotcha. I could see myself using a good amount of voice to call people back home. But I'm more concerned about data, worst case scenario I find some workaround like Google Voice (never really used it but people itt do?) or throw a few bucks at Skype or something if that happens, it may or may not. I don't know what my data usage in the past has been but I'm guessing even 5GB is a little low compared.

Also, T-Mo is also offering a 99c SIM card with the promo code SIM99 until 5/27, just FYI.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

All Else Failed posted:

Ahhh, gotcha. I could see myself using a good amount of voice to call people back home. But I'm more concerned about data, worst case scenario I find some workaround like Google Voice (never really used it but people itt do?) or throw a few bucks at Skype or something if that happens, it may or may not. I don't know what my data usage in the past has been but I'm guessing even 5GB is a little low compared.

Also, T-Mo is also offering a 99c SIM card with the promo code SIM99 until 5/27, just FYI.

Just don't get upset if your 99 cent Tmo sim can't activate the $30/5GB plan online. It has happened before.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Geoj posted:

Harbor Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO.

Not exactly. They are a T-Mobile reseller, which means you are getting the exact same service as regular post-paid T-Mobile with the only difference being pricing.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I currently use Cricket and want to get my wife signed up. With two users, there's no reason to do a family plan right? Only $10 discount which is no better than the $5/line discount we'd each receive for auto-pay...or can you stay the auto-pay discount on top of the family plan?

Plus, no referral bonuses for adding someone to a family plan?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

tonic posted:

I currently use Cricket and want to get my wife signed up. With two users, there's no reason to do a family plan right? Only $10 discount which is no better than the $5/line discount we'd each receive for auto-pay...or can you stay the auto-pay discount on top of the family plan?

Plus, no referral bonuses for adding someone to a family plan?

Family plan and auto-pay discounts don't stack.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

All Else Failed posted:

Ah, I didn't see it.

I don't blame you for bailing, but I stuck through this process. They automatically refunded the 2-3 extra charges and I ended up getting it ordered. The only lovely thing now is that they made my shipping signature required and nobody is at home all day. So now I have to sort all that poo poo out over a $50 dollar phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The extra charges fall off, they're just holds/auths depending on how you name them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you're on Harbor Mobile for the love of god don't let your payment lapse.

My debit card got compromised and the bank canceled it but I forgot about it until my service got turned off today. Logged in and updated my billing information and gave them my new card number. It took three hours for my account to be un-suspended and I've been having service hiccups ever since - including having to turn my phone off and removing the battery & sim for over an hour before it would find the network again after service had been restored.

Downside to being on a reseller I guess - according to customer service they only send T-Mobile batches of SIM/IMEIs once every 2-3 hours for activation/deactivation.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Geoj posted:

If you're on Harbor Mobile for the love of god don't let your payment lapse.

My debit card got compromised and the bank canceled it but I forgot about it until my service got turned off today. Logged in and updated my billing information and gave them my new card number. It took three hours for my account to be un-suspended and I've been having service hiccups ever since - including having to turn my phone off and removing the battery & sim for over an hour before it would find the network again after service had been restored.

Downside to being on a reseller I guess - according to customer service they only send T-Mobile batches of SIM/IMEIs once every 2-3 hours for activation/deactivation.

Yeah I just got a new debit card and Harbor Mobile was the first thing I updated. Guess I did the right thing!

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
If I let my Cricket service lapse (since I'm going out of the country and won't need cell service in the usa for ~5 months), can I restart it using the same sim card when I get back?

Will Rice fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 25, 2015

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, they fell off. My new issue is that my 99c SIM card from TMo went to the wrong address because I had to call and have them place the order and didn't distinguish between the billing and shipping address and he didn't ask me, and then they wouldn't let me just say gently caress it and place another order to the right address because we had attempted too many orders according to their verification team, and the tracking # still isn't showing up on the UPS website so I can pay $5 to have my $1.08 package delivered properly. And I'm going to be quite annoyed if I can't get the dork plan with this SIM. I thought all of this was going to be easy for gently caress's sake. I just can't wait 'til all this annoying poo poo is over and I have a cheap phone plan, ugh.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Will Rice posted:

If I let my Cricket service lapse (since I'm going out of the country and won't need cell service in the usa for ~5 months), can I restart it using the same sim card when I get back?

After 60 days of non-payment, they delete your account. So you will lose your phone number at least.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Will Rice posted:

Unfortunately no. Your account will get closer after 60. So either keep paying or port your number out. I like h20 because it's a $0.99 Sim from eBay and $10 for 90 days. Also easy to port out of again.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Will Rice posted:

Port your number to google voice. Or Ring Plus. They have a 99 cent per month plan.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

whatever7 posted:

Port your number to google voice. Or Ring Plus. They have a 99 cent per month plan.

Oh no, I don't care about the phone number, I just want to re-activate the service using the same SIM card before I arrive. All of my calls are already transferred through google voice. But it sounds like the answer is no, so I'll look into getting a new one before I arrive I guess.

Will Rice fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 26, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Will Rice posted:

Oh no, I don't care about the phone number, I just want to re-activate the service using the same SIM card before I arrive. All of my calls are already transferred through google voice. But it sounds like the answer is no, so I'll look into getting a new one before I arrive I guess.

Oh, well that's easier then. Unfortunately you probably can't reactivate that Sim either. You might need to order another $10 Sim.

(Yes, they're $0.99 right now, but they might
go back up to $10 within 5 months. If you buy one now it has to be activated within 30 days.)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into this problem I'm having.

Just bought an unlocked Moto G and signed up for the T-Mobile $30 Nerd Plan and I just cannot receive texts or calls, can send them fine but cannot receive. I've already googled as much as I could, did a factory reset and contacted TMob customer support who were no help at all.

At this point I'm thinking I should just order a Cricket SIM instead and hope for the best.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just bought an unlocked Moto G and signed up for the T-Mobile $30 Nerd Plan and I just cannot receive texts or calls, can send them fine but cannot receive. I've already googled as much as I could, did a factory reset and contacted TMob customer support who were no help at all.

At this point I'm thinking I should just order a Cricket SIM instead and hope for the best.

That is a little strange. Are your APN settings correct? As long as you have good signal and your APN settings are correct it should work okay.

Cricket isn't without the occasional problems but for an extra $5 a month you get unlimited minutes and AT&Ts network, albeit only 2.5gb of data. It's a trade off deal.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
APN settings are only for a data, I'm pretty sure. Even if the APN settings for were incorrect, you should still be able to get calls/sms because those don't use data (MMS is another story).

As for a solution...not sure, sorry. Maybe try exchanging the Sim card?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
So turns out the issues I was having after my Harbor Mobile account was suspended and reinstated were mostly to do with my hand me down Note 3 experiencing Samsung's notorious terminal SIM tray failure.

Went to the T-Mobile store and bought an LG L90. Turns out T-Mobile treats HM accounts the same as a normal T-Mo business account so I got the phone for the same price you'd get with a qualifying account - $100 instead of $200.

It's a pretty good phone for $100 all in - only shortcomings are low storage & RAM at 8/1 GB, no LTE (HSPA+, which is plenty fast for my needs) and not much accessory support since it's not a flagship or top-tier model.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 26, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Geoj posted:

So turns out the issues I was having after my Harbor Mobile account was suspended and reinstated were mostly to do with my hand me down Note 3 experiencing Samsung's notorious terminal SIM tray failure.

Went to the T-Mobile store and bought an LG L90. Turns out T-Mobile treats HM accounts the same as a normal T-Mo business account so I got the phone for the same price you'd get with a qualifying account - $100 instead of $200.

It's a pretty good phone for $100 all in - only shortcomings are low storage & RAM at 8/1 GB, no LTE (HSPA+, which is plenty fast for my needs) and not much accessory support since it's not a flagship or top-tier model.

I'd return that phone and spend like $50 more and get a second gen Moto G. Again no LTE support, but it'll for sure be supported/updated better than whatever the gently caress an LG L90 is. Best buy sells them unlocked (it's where I got mine) if you need one right away.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Did you port your number from a different carrier? Sometimes it can take a few hours for incoming calls to be routed to the new carrier instead of your old one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'd return that phone and spend like $50 more and get a second gen Moto G. Again no LTE support, but it'll for sure be supported/updated better than whatever the gently caress an LG L90 is. Best buy sells them unlocked (it's where I got mine) if you need one right away.

Looking at the spec sheet it's practically the same phone - quad core snapdragon @ 1.2 GHz, 4.5(ish) screen, same radios, memory, etc. Not terribly concerned about updates, I'm probably going to root it and drop a custom ROM on it at some point anyways. Thought about the Moto G but it isn't worth the extra $70 as I'm between jobs at the moment and as soon as I'm gainfully employed again I'm probably going to snag a Oneplus One.

e: basically just needed a phone so I can take calls from prospective employers, this one was pretty decent for the price and is a stop-gag until I can justify spending hundreds on a phone again.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 27, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Now that I got through all the cricket activation bullshit, I'm pretty drat happy with the Moto E. Runs all the apps I needed flawlessly. For $50 you can't beat it. Thanks for answering all my questions everybody. And for anyone looking into cricket, the activation itself is really painless. The only hassle is that your billing and shipping addresses have to match, so I had to call my bank and sort that out, and they make shipping signature required which was a pain. But getting the phone turned on and autopay activated took all of 15 minutes. So long as the insurance policy doesn't suck, I'd really recommend that $50 Moto E LTE deal they've got going right now.

corrse.cx
Jun 1, 2004
I am currently running with the Sprint framily plan with two phones, which turns $50 into about $63 with surcharges and taxes.

Does Cricket (and for that matter the other MVNOs) also impose the same charges?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

corrse.cx posted:

I am currently running with the Sprint framily plan with two phones, which turns $50 into about $63 with surcharges and taxes.

Does Cricket (and for that matter the other MVNOs) also impose the same charges?

Cricket doesn't. The taxes and whatnot are included in the listed price. So their $50 (45) plan is $50.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
T-Mos verification team refused to stop loving with me so I went back to Cricket. I'll be using your referral in the next day or so, OP, just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

All Else Failed posted:

T-Mos verification team refused to stop loving with me so I went back to Cricket. I'll be using your referral in the next day or so, OP, just a heads up.

Alright, cool. :) I hope things go better for ya this time around. Thanks!