Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xaarman posted:

IFR makes you feel like a real pilot though. No clouds/icing/airport/atc/equipment restrictions are gonna stop me!

Pretty sure my cousin is dead because of that. Icing and a c170 on floats do not mix.

Edit: I know what you mean but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

xaarman posted:

I like VFR so I don't have to worry about all that pesky take off planning.

IFR makes you feel like a real pilot though. No clouds/icing/airport/atc/equipment restrictions are gonna stop me!

Thunderstorm? What thunderstorm. I have a glass cockpit baby

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

hobbesmaster posted:

Pretty sure my cousin is dead because of that. Icing and a c170 on floats do not mix.

Edit: I know what you mean but...

Geesus gently caress - why do we always have to be insufferable loving douchebags when it comes to this thread? Do you really think xaarman is saying that he thinks nothing can stop him?

Why can't we just laugh at the joke like the rest of the S/A forums and make witty puns and keep the banter moving along.

(Coming from insufferable douchebag #1 who never flight plans and never EVER does a weight and balance)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Congrats Rickety!

Rickety Cricket posted:

Yeah I can't wait to just file IFR everywhere. Just cause I can

Even if you don't want to file and end up needing/wanting an IFR if you're staying in close, a phrase I didn't know about until flying with my last CFII which will be your friend: Local IFR.

Did a VFR cross-country MGY-CMH and back one day not long after my checkride for time building in December on what ended up being a really hazy day. Flying East was fine, but Westbound was worse than I expected (still VFR, but on the low end). Called approach when I got on Dayton's frequency (dba Columbus Approach), asked for Local IFR and the GPS 20 into MGY. Life was much better.

Plus, the first approach you do by yourself is a bit of a cheap thrill, especially if you know you're in conditions which will allow you to get visual a few miles out.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

quote:

a phrase I didn't know about until flying with my last CFII which will be your friend: Local IFR

This is a GREAT tool in the toolbox. I love revealing the secrets of local IFRs

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Thunderstorm? What thunderstorm. I have a glass cockpit baby

NEXRAD bitches, gonna thread that needle that was there 15 minutes ago!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

NEXRAD bitches, gonna thread that needle that was there 15 minutes ago!

This is a good post that represents my entire last summer in NC.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rickety Cricket posted:

OP update, I'm loving instrument rated :toot: :toot: :toot:

If anyone cares I can do a write up tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I can't believe it

NICE.

I started working towards mine the day after I finished my PPL.

If only I had started this when I really wanted to - about 15-20 years ago. I could have gotten so much further so much faster via my uncle and using his planes (Beechcraft Baron, Citabria, and a couple others). There's no telling what other aircraft I could have had access to with his friends. Retired Air Force, flew the B25 and B26 in Korea, fighter pilot, munitions and fighter test pilot, Connie pilot, aerobatic instructor, and Lord knows what else.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

OP update, I'm loving instrument rated :toot: :toot: :toot:

If anyone cares I can do a write up tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I can't believe it

Congrats!

OP Updated :toot: :toot: Sorry for the slight delay.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Curious - how come there are so few female commercial pilots? I've never been on a flight that had a female pilot, captain or otherwise. Is the industry changing at all? Have you met any?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's weird. I regularly see female flight crew, particularly on the regionals.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

frenchnewwave posted:

Curious - how come there are so few female commercial pilots? I've never been on a flight that had a female pilot, captain or otherwise. Is the industry changing at all? Have you met any?

There's always the worlds most obnoxious female pilot, Gulfstream Girl!

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
The only thing I've never seen is a female TRE. Everything else is a regular occurrence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

frenchnewwave posted:

Informally, I'd say probably 10-20% of the (domestic) air carriers I talk to have at least one female on the flight deck. That number seems similar for corporate GA and Part 135 operators, as well, perhaps a touch lower.

FAR fewer females seem to be in GA, though. You never hear a woman's voice coming from an RV-6 flying around for fun, as an example, and I've only ever met a single female aircraft mechanic, despite the military training a good deal of them.

As for why that is, you could probably write a research paper or twelve, but I honestly feel that it's just that women aren't as attracted to technical fields, or machinery in particular. Not that they are incapable, just that they don't seem to be particularly interested. :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clearly we shouldn't have women in the cockpit because men will randomly forget how to fly an airplane and stall into the ground while discussing cold remedies.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What kind of time commitment does it take to be a female pilot that has any ambition of being a family woman at the same time? Hope you have your kids before you start flying....

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Completely random but Beta is awesome!

So is landing on 2500ft strips at 9,000lbs with room to spare. The PC12 is so cool.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Apollo posted:

What kind of time commitment does it take to be a female pilot that has any ambition of being a family woman at the same time? Hope you have your kids before you start flying....

This is a joke, right?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Jealous Cow posted:

This is a joke, right?

No I'm not joking. Why would I be? Raising a child, especially carrying one, is a professional burden, not to mention the time requirements. I'm not going to pretend that men and women split the responsibility equally for child raising and that pilot management understand women as well as men.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That is true for all professions. Why do you think the birth rate is plummeting in the west.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I realize the confusion - my quote was in regard to the frenchnewwave post about the lack of female captains in the industry.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The UK series Worst Place to be a Pilot (which can be seen on YouTube) has been repackaged in the US under the title Air Pressure and it's on Discovery Channel. It follows Susi Air, an airline operating in Papua New Guinea using Caravans and Pilatus Porters into mostly remote areas on several islands, and is staffed by ex-pat British and Kiwi pilots looking for a place to build time to get hired at home.

And by "remote", I mean "barely passable grass strip that's muddy because it rained, with standing water at the bottom, at a 20 degree up/down angle and, in case that wasn't enough, potentially angry, violent villagers who may randomly run in front of the plane awaiting every arrival".

One guy caught Malaria. gently caress that poo poo.

e- Jesus Christ that same guy aimed for a cloud knowing the runway was on the other side and flew through the cloud to land it. :stonk: :wtc: :psyduck:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 28, 2015

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

The UK series Worst Place to be a Pilot (which can be seen on YouTube) has been repackaged in the US under the title Air Pressure and it's on Discovery Channel. It follows Susi Air, an airline operating in Papua New Guinea using Caravans and Pilatus Porters into mostly remote areas on several islands, and is staffed by ex-pat British and Kiwi pilots looking for a place to build time to get hired at home.

And by "remote", I mean "barely passable grass strip that's muddy because it rained, with standing water at the bottom, at a 20 degree up/down angle and, in case that wasn't enough, potentially angry, violent villagers who may randomly run in front of the plane awaiting every arrival".

One guy caught Malaria. gently caress that poo poo.

e- Jesus Christ that same guy aimed for a cloud knowing the runway was on the other side and flew through the clouds to land it. :stonk:

Hell, I got malaria a couple of years ago on a pt 91 trip to Africa. A couple of dudes I flew with at ATA got malaria three times in 18 months flying at Arik Air in Nigeria.

Natives with spears attacking the aircraft? Now that gets my attention.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ausgezeichnet posted:

Hell, I got malaria a couple of years ago on a pt 91 trip to Africa. A couple of dudes I flew with at ATA got malaria three times in 18 months flying at Arik Air in Nigeria.

Natives with spears attacking the aircraft? Now that gets my attention.

The show depicts these guys living in the lap of luxury and Southeast Asian F/A girlfriends and they sure as hell earn it.

Interesting you mention Arik. I've got a friend who flew the -900 for them not too long ago and had stories to tell, none of which involved serious illness.

My grandpa was in the Canal Zone at the outbreak of WWII and caught the strain which never goes away. My mom growing up remembers him going through three sets of pajamas in one night because of the profuse sweating.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Well got a 90% on the shep air cpl practice test, time to sign up for the written tomorrow.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Well got a 90% on the shep air cpl practice test, time to sign up for the written tomorrow.

I've been getting 90s on the SPortys practice tests and was hoping to get it done before I leave the country on Friday but it's just not gonna work out. I'll have to wait a few weeks. We'll see if I'm lucky and my new cert is waiting when I get back :)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The pilots on this compass flight to aus make me feel ancient. They look 16.

6 week old big shiny jet though, still has that new smell.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sellouts posted:

PILOT SHORTAGE

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

PILOT SHORTAGE

Refers to height of the pilot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

I've been getting 90s on the SPortys practice tests and was hoping to get it done before I leave the country on Friday but it's just not gonna work out. I'll have to wait a few weeks. We'll see if I'm lucky and my new cert is waiting when I get back :)

And now the testing center out here isn't answering the phone or returning my calls. :(

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Instrument checkride this weekend :ohdear:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

Soon to include The Slaughter (who also looks young).

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
In my mind AZPilot looks like he's 12 as well. Everytime I fly to my hometown from Seattle I keep on the lookout for a baby-faced gooney-type pilot and wonder if it's him. :v:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

In my mind AZPilot looks like he's 12 as well. Everytime I fly to my hometown from Seattle I keep on the lookout for a baby-faced gooney-type pilot and wonder if it's him. :v:

There are a couple pilots ITT that are in SEA area.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Haha, that will be me soon. And yeah people always think I'm 16. I'm actually 29 (edit: 30 in july). Keep in mind a large number of compass pilots are from Seattle, where we don't get any sun and are thus ageless.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

AWSEFT posted:

There are a couple pilots ITT that are in SEA area.

Yeah but as I recall he flies for a carrier/route I'm on ~semi regularly.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
About a quarter of the time I list for jumpseat at the gate, the gate agent usually says something like "You look young, are you a flight attendant?" :downs:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

overdesigned posted:

Instrument checkride this weekend :ohdear:

Here's my copy-pasted from reddit checkride write up. Lemme know if this helps or not.

Flight was flown in a G1000 C172S with the GFC700 autopilot. Unfortunately I can't remember as much from the oral as I can from the flight, but here it goes.
My DPE had me plan a flight to KPIT with himself, a backseat passenger, and a ton of bags. The point being that we couldn't take off with full fuel, and to think about how that affects your go/no go decision. If we got to KPIT and our VFR out was back in Baltimore, well then we wouldn't have enough fuel to get back. He really stressed risk management (the importance of a very thorough preflight weather brief. Where is VFR? Where's your escape route?) and ADM. The oral was 5 hours, but it really didn't feel like it. It was more of a conversation back and forth and was actually very enjoyable. We discussed things like alternate minimums, had me brief an approach plate (whats that little V? -> vdp symbol,etc). The 3 tenets of instrument flying. We went over the G1000 system (how the AHRS works, how would you know the GPS is good if you missed the start up screen). Went over the Low en route chart and asked me questions about all the symbols on it. There was nothing out of the ordinary during the oral. It was much more situational than I was expecting. If you can get through the ASA Instrument Oral Prep book you will be fine for your oral exam.
So the DPE had me actually file and we flew IFR (although VMC). We had briefed the RNAV 34 at KDMW down to LNAV mins which would be fully coupled, the RNAV 16 at KDMW to LPV mins would serve as our hand flown precision approach, and the LOC 15 back into KMTN would be our partial panel non precision approach. Before the LOC we would arc back to MTN on the 14.7 DME published arc (Note: We didn't fly the arc approach, just the arc portion).
Departing MTN we got a right turn to 290 and before I had a chance to load an approach we were told direct TAFFI for the GPS 34. Not being quite ready I acknowledged ATC and asked for an initial vector while I got set up, DPE loved this. On the trek to TAFFI I engaged the autopilot in NAV mode tracking the GPS. We crossed TAFFI at 3000 and had to begin the descent, he wanted me to use FLC mode to hold 90 knots. I had been using V/S for descent in all my training so this was new but not a difficult adjustment. My first oh poo poo moment was when muscle memory armed the approach mode. This put GP (glide path) armed in the flight strip, since we were doing an LNAV approach the goal was not to descend on the GP. I was able to counter this by hitting FLC right before GP intercept. In retrospect pushing APPR again should have disabled it. This approach went fine, until I had a brain fart and disconnected the AP just after we reached MDA, a few seconds later I initiated the missed approach. Power in, go around button, FLC to hold the airspeed and then NAV to track the missed approach procedure, then re-engaged the AP. It took us through the procedure turn at UNYTS no problem.
My next big oh poo poo moment was when we initiated the GPS 16. I believe I somehow loaded the approach wrong; it wanted us to do another full hold at UNYTS but I thought he wanted me to just go straight in (since we'd already done the procedure hold in the missed approach). Also in the inbound turn the DPE disconnected the AP and turned off the Flight Director (FD). When I passed UNYTS it sequenced to the hold. I pressed direct NISPL and thought things were good but I got an advisory telling me the approach was not active. When I went in the menu to activate it, it reset the approach and wanted me to go back to UNYTS. I again hit direct NISPL and then tried to arm the approach, which turned on the FD, so I had to turn that back off. Again I was getting these advisory flashes. I was really starting to panic at this point, convinced I had royally hosed something up. I said to the examiner "I'm not really sure what's happening right now so I'm gonna execute the missed and try again." This was of course the right move. I started climbing up and gave Potomac a call telling them I was missed and would like a vector back to UNYTS to try again. DPE loved this. On the way back I cleared out all the approaches in the flight plan and reloaded GPS 16 LPV. We flew the procedure turn, a parallel entry this time, and that satisfied the GPS which then sequenced on to the approach. Flew that down to minimums no problem (actually the best GP tracking I've ever done) and did a touch & go. On the upwind/missed DPE called Potomac and asked for the published hold at EMI, we got a direct clearance to hold. I was a little unsure so I clarified "You mean the hold in the VOR 34 ?" He affirmed that, and said it was good of me to ask for clarification. We weren't far from the VOR by then so I had to scramble to think of the hold and where I was in relation to the VOR and how to enter, as by then he had turned off the FD again, and changed pages on the MFD so I had nothing but the CDI and DME. We flew the hold on raw data a couple laps and that went fine. My first lap around didn't have quite enough wind correction, I was blown through the inbound course on the inbound turn but was able to catch it pretty quickly. We then went around and I put in a little more wind correction. He discussed the temptation to go more than standard rate when you see that needle swinging in, and how you need to be disciplined and not overbank to catch it. He was also fine with going through it that first lap. You aren't supposed to get it the first time, just like tracking a course, you'll bracket your wind correction until you get it down.
After the hold at EMI we turned left direct SLOAF (see VOR/DME 15 @ KMTN) to join the arc. ATC thought we wanted to do the full approach but he clarified we wanted to arc into the localizer. They couldn't accommodate that but gave us a portion of the arc and offered vectors for the LOC, which we accepted.
On the way to the arc he took controls and we did the unusual attitude recovery. Nothing to it. He gave me back control and failed my PFD. Immediately switch to reversionary mode. He asked me what I still had available to me. My autopilot! Put it in NAV and altitude hold mode, in order to get us over to SLOAF. When I hit my 0.5 DME lead in, I put it in heading mode and twisted us over to join the arc. Flew that in heading mode no problem, never deviated past 0.2 nm.
Several minutes into that ATC gave us a vector to intercept the runway 15 localizer at MTN just outside of ALLDE intersection. Still partial panel, we descended and tracked the LOC in no problem, using the cross radials off of BAL to identify my step down fixes. Reaching circling minimums he had me come up and we circled to 15 (just flew a rectangular pattern). In the upwind leg he failed the MFD so all I had was my standby instruments. No big deal, we're flying a VFR pattern at this point. Just past the numbers on downwind he pulled the power for a simulated engine failure. No issue for our 7000 foot runway, impossible to screw that up.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Here's my copy-pasted from reddit checkride write up. Lemme know if this helps or not.
:words:

Now I (we) know your Reddit username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rickety Cricket posted:

My next big oh poo poo moment was when we initiated the GPS 16. I believe I somehow loaded the approach wrong; it wanted us to do another full hold at UNYTS but I thought he wanted me to just go straight in (since we'd already done the procedure hold in the missed approach). Also in the inbound turn the DPE disconnected the AP and turned off the Flight Director (FD). When I passed UNYTS it sequenced to the hold. I pressed direct NISPL and thought things were good but I got an advisory telling me the approach was not active. When I went in the menu to activate it, it reset the approach and wanted me to go back to UNYTS. I again hit direct NISPL and then tried to arm the approach, which turned on the FD, so I had to turn that back off. Again I was getting these advisory flashes. I was really starting to panic at this point, convinced I had royally hosed something up. I said to the examiner "I'm not really sure what's happening right now so I'm gonna execute the missed and try again."

Well done - you're about 300 times more situationally aware than I was when I took my instrument. I was still struggling with this kind of poo poo after a half dozen recurrents at the airlines.

• Locked thread