Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

I am for reals angry at the serial killer quest chain outcome. I guessed wrong, he got away, and I found the taunting letter he left me, AND I CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT OR SHOW IT TO THE PEOPLE WHO SHOULD REALLY BE MADE TO KNOW WHAT THE gently caress GAME. It's made the game since then way less fun for me. :(

where is this quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Delacroix posted:

Hairstyles and beards added by the DLC do not have hair growth.

Weirdly after going clean shaven Geralt suddenly grew a full beard when I used one of those "summon contract monster" interactions :raise:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

where is this quest

After rescuing Dandelion, he invites Geralt to his establishment. If you go there, you will set off a new quest line.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The distance of your sword swings is unpredictable

Not really

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
gah gently caress this is the best game ever

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So, after "Now or Never" is Triss gone forever if she leaves? Because I have an active quest where I need to show her a statue.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wiseblood posted:

So, after "Now or Never" is Triss gone forever if she leaves? Because I have an active quest where I need to show her a statue.

Apparently you can show it to Yen at some point, instead.

That quest is super short, though: you take it to her, she unmagics it, there's a conversation, you get a reward and that's it. No idea if there are any consequences later on.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wiseblood posted:

Did you profess your undying love and want her to stay? Because you can meet her again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Something odd just happened. I wandered upon a guarded treasure in Skellige with two level 13 gargoyles and a level 30 ice elemental. I'm level 19 so I just killed the gargoyles and saved. I decided to meditate to get my potions back and try for the ice elemental, but when I stood back up the elemental was just straight up gone. No trace of the thing, it just vanished into thin air. Oh well, free treasure for me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Something odd just happened. I wandered upon a guarded treasure in Skellige with two level 13 gargoyles and a level 30 ice elemental. I'm level 19 so I just killed the gargoyles and saved. I decided to meditate to get my potions back and try for the ice elemental, but when I stood back up the elemental was just straight up gone. No trace of the thing, it just vanished into thin air. Oh well, free treasure for me.

He melted.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Is it just me or am is it way too easy to make money by selling loot and never having to spend it? Because most good diagrams are out in the world anyways. I have like 9000 gold stacked up atm and my only major expenditures have been the boat to skellige and making the cat armor.

Stacking bonuses in this game are hilarious. Downed a Leshen no problem with all my attack bonuses.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Skipping near 80 pages to just chime in that this game is beautiful and every quest (so far) is detailed and feels complete, not just random fetch quests that prop up a lot of other games (at least, not yet).

Level 17 and trying to just clear the major secondary quests in Velen before moving on to Skellige, but every time I turn around, something else pops up and I have to follow that thread like a cat after a laser pointer.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Riso posted:

Did you profess your undying love and want her to stay? Because you can meet her again.

Don't even need to do that, Yen asks her to come back to help out regardless which is chill on her part.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I'm staggered by the amount of high-quality content in this game, jesus.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
It just dawned on me you don't get XP for killing things, only doing quests.

:shepicide:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It just dawned on me you don't get XP for killing things, only doing quests.

:shepicide:
You do, but very little

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Skipping near 80 pages to just chime in that this game is beautiful and every quest (so far) is detailed and feels complete, not just random fetch quests that prop up a lot of other games (at least, not yet).

Level 17 and trying to just clear the major secondary quests in Velen before moving on to Skellige, but every time I turn around, something else pops up and I have to follow that thread like a cat after a laser pointer.

This is exactly where I am and I totally agree.

I also want to play a difficulty mode that's somewhere between iron man and hard. Call it a "Consequences" mode. Every dialogue option that creates a split in the path is on a timer, and once you make a decision it makes a new save and deletes all your previous ones. Furthermore the mode requires you to determine what kind of monster you're hunting for Witcher Quest before you fight it, choose incorrectly and the monster has double health or double damage; and then deletes all your saves. Otherwise the saves are just like normal mode.

I love the detective stuff I wish that was played up and rewarded in some way, but as it is now it's still really good. That would inspire me to look at the glossary a bit more. Also random dialogue which mentions lesser cast members and asks random questions about them that you only know if you've been paying attention or reading their glossary when it first popped up.

I'm not normally into making these games harder since I play on normal difficulty and get just enough challenge as is; but I like the idea of forcing me deeper into the world a bit and getting me more into the role of being a Witcher and being Geralt.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

evilmiera posted:

A lot of rewards from monster hunting and side quest stuff gets better the more you level (though the quest rewards proper don't, the gear you find does). So just don't finish your business in an area, do monster hunts when you feel like it, then when you're properly leveled go out busting heads.

I thought we established quest rewards do scale with level as well?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The loading times in this game are loving amazing - granted I have it installed on an SSD but I can get into the game faster than Diablo loving 3 on the same drive. Like compared to Dragon Age inquisition it runs better, looks better, and loads in about a quarter of the time - to say nothing of the vastly better quest quality, lack of pointless collectibles and combat that doesn't feel like an absolute pointless slog.

The worst part of the game is probably the controls, and even then they're fine after plugging in a gamepad and getting acclimated. There are a good few times when I feel like if the movement was less clunky I wouldn't have died though, which wasn't really a problem in TW2 where Gerald pretty much turned on a dime and pretty much moved like an FPS protagonist iirc. Defo seems like something that could be tuned with patches though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
1.04 just dropped.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.04 changelog:
Rebinding any key is now available after switching Unlock Bindings option in Options \ Key bindings submenu.
Corrects an issue in the dialog system that might rarely cause dialog looping in scenes.
Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were under the influence of Axii sign.
Corrects a bug causing spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.
1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displaying as valid resolution option.
Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.
Texture rendering quality for high / ultra presets improved.
Further improvements in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.
A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.
Fixes an issue where users with usernames using non-latin characters were unable to import saves from Witcher 2.
Overall stability and performance improvements.
Fixes related to alt + tabbing and minimizing game window.
Game icon updated.
Enlarges the size of the loot pop-up window in the UI.
Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could be displayed outside of game borders in the UI.
Upgrading set items no longer destroys sockets.
Small UI tweaks for Gwent.
Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

OAquinas posted:

A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.
gently caress you, game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

drat she's hot

I'll go now

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Things I'd like to see in future patches:

Geralt can use fast travel signs on his horse
Candles in front of loot or NPCs are gone.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Couple basic questions I have after playing the game for like 9 hours. Is the crossbow ever a viable weapon? Like I assume you won't ever be sniper Garalt but will I be able to kill a same level dude with a headshot to start a fight? Looking at the skills and how much damage a shot does right now I'm guessing no (which makes the skills seem completely pointless), also are the various bolts (explosive, blunt, silver, split, etc) that I have diagrams for ever useful? Doesn't really matter, I'm planning to go heavy on alchemy and signs anyway, just curious if anyone has gone deep on those skills. Also how do you respec/is respeccing a finite thing?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Couple basic questions I have after playing the game for like 9 hours. Is the crossbow ever a viable weapon? Like I assume you won't ever be sniper Garalt but will I be able to kill a same level dude with a headshot to start a fight? Looking at the skills and how much damage a shot does right now I'm guessing no (which makes the skills seem completely pointless), also are the various bolts (explosive, blunt, silver, split, etc) that I have diagrams for ever useful? Doesn't really matter, I'm planning to go heavy on alchemy and signs anyway, just curious if anyone has gone deep on those skills. Also how do you respec/is respeccing a finite thing?

There's no skill tree but some of the crafted bolts are fairly useful. I found the broadhead bolts to be handy since they allow you to start a high damage over time attack from a safe distance.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, are any of the starting armor and swords every useful fo crafting again or should I jsut throw them into the trash?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh Christ I finished up the Baron's quest line and shortly after got Keira Metz's romantic encounter. When she said "Let's play hide-and-seek" I could feel Geralt's cock shriveling. NOT HIDE AND SEEK WHEN I PLAY HIDE AND SEEK EVERYONE DIES :qq:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you missed the Gwent cards from the innkeeper in White Orchard, the generic merchant in the same village seems to sell them now with the 1.04 patch.

Now I finally have a second 8 strength Catapult.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neat there actually are whales in the ocean in this game. Would be kinda cool if there were sharks or something else normal out here as well, rather than just make it all drowners and sirens

I wonder if you can see the entire whale swimming around if you're not in the boat, or if it's just an effect that happens? Either way it's neat but it'd be way better if you could be swimming around and then all of a sudden, bam, whale.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'm getting really pissed off with Roach stopping in his tracks every time I ride a bit too close by something, or there's a bump in the road. Makes racing and general riding really annoying.

Also I really like the game with full sharpening, makes all the detail stand out even if it looks a bit weird.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

app crapped itself and double posted oop

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Griffin gear set hunt is level 11 goddammit don't make me fight a level 14 wyvern to get it :qq:

What's the deal with this series' planet? Why come the sun is shining bright at like, 3 AM?

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Are there things that are safe to sell at the beginning of the game? Going through my inventory leaves me a bit overwhelmed. I'm not sure what I should be hanging on to.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

etalian posted:

There's no skill tree but some of the crafted bolts are fairly useful. I found the broadhead bolts to be handy since they allow you to start a high damage over time attack from a safe distance.

Nah there totally is a skill tree, marksman, gives you slower time while aiming, increased adrenaline gain when shooting stuff, extra crit chance (or damage, don't have the game open right now) and then one that makes crossbow shots disable monster abilities for 5 seconds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrKrankenwagen posted:

Are there things that are safe to sell at the beginning of the game? Going through my inventory leaves me a bit overwhelmed. I'm not sure what I should be hanging on to.

Selling extra common monster parts is fairly safe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Everything's safe to sell, but keep in mind that you can upgrade all the witcher gear you craft (except for the viper stuff, I think? haven't seen any upgrade recipes for that so I sold it off).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

The Griffin gear set hunt is level 11 goddammit don't make me fight a level 14 wyvern to get it :qq:

What's the deal with this series' planet? Why come the sun is shining bright at like, 3 AM?

The war has gotten pretty far north and also yeah, it's not Earth so cut them some slack. Gamers all bitch endlessly about nights not being dark enough and then if you make nights realistically dark it's unplayable and everyone complains twice as hard. Four hours of dark and two hours of twilight per cycle are probably enough.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

On one hand, my rear end is getting handed to me on a regular basis and I could use some supplies. On the other hand, strolling into some bawling widow's house and stealing all her poo poo seems not quite right (and definitely not in line with the character).

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So can I count on a tangible reward later down the line if I refuse payment for a quest? I know if you do that with the merchant who is attacked by the griffon, then you get free food at the inn. I just finished the devil by the well and was wondering if the same kind of thing might happen if I let them keep the dowry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Calaveron posted:

You don't have to fight the wyvern, and I thought it was actually kinda tricky to get it to the point where I actually could fight it